June 21, 2018, 02:54:54 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 702608 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2600 on: December 30, 2016, 08:49:42 AM »
I had to call the police on my neighbors last night because it seriously sounded like the guy was ripping apart his girlfriend. I've heard loud noises from that apartment before, but this was a lot of sustained screaming and yelling and crashing and just... very scary. The police came and talked to them and it quieted down a bit but I did make out the guy raising his voice to his girlfriend and telling HER it was her fault for being too loud, although he was the one yelling the most.

Might go to the management office when I get home today to let them know what's up, since I'm a little nervous the yelly dude might be mad at me.

Many Korean rental agreements have a "reputation of the building" clause, so this might be something worth bringing up.

Yeah... I'm just not sure what to say, especially with my limited Korean. Just like, there was a lot of noise last night, it was scary, and I had to call the police? That much I can manage.

My coteacher's opinion is that it's not worth it because after having the police called on him the guy is never gonna yell again. Somehow I doubt it.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2601 on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:52 AM »
Faculty cutbacks next year. I guess my main school finally hit that magic number where we fall below the number of students needed to get funding for additional teachers. So no more technical teacher, art teacher, nor ethics teacher. The latter two also had multiple travel schools.

On the bright side, I might get to teach art classes next year or at the least, an English club where I can choose the topics. If I understood my coT correctly, looks like the remaining teachers have to cover the non-core subject classes.

Bittersweet

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2602 on: December 30, 2016, 09:21:53 AM »
Faculty cutbacks next year. I guess my main school finally hit that magic number where we fall below the number of students needed to get funding for additional teachers. So no more technical teacher, art teacher, nor ethics teacher. The latter two also had multiple travel schools.

On the bright side, I might get to teach art classes next year or at the least, an English club where I can choose the topics. If I understood my coT correctly, looks like the remaining teachers have to cover the non-core subject classes.

Bittersweet

You're at one of those spooky little middle-of-nowhere islands, right? What's that like? Are there restaurants there? And are they awesome?

I enjoy living here (I'm on my 2nd year), though it certainly isn't for everyone. Nice scenery, generally kind locals (though none speak a lick of English), a handful of restaurants that I think are pretty swell. Good gamjatang and dak dori tang, among other things. I tend to hit up the lone Chinese restaurant for a change of pace (recently discovered omurice on the menu hahaha). Freshly sliced wriggling nakji is popular though I myself have never been that fond of octopus.

The mountains look spooky cool when it's foggy and dim outside.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2603 on: December 30, 2016, 09:39:53 AM »
I bragged to my swing friends that I'm good at cooking so  now the pressure is on to bring something nice to the potluck party tonight. I wanted to make mini pies but I don't think there's enough time given that I have to go to the hospital in the morning. Plus I have to transport it ~1 hour on public transportation.

So. Some kind of dip. But what kind??? That I can easily get all the ingredients for???

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2604 on: December 30, 2016, 09:48:25 AM »
I bragged to my swing friends that I'm good at cooking so  now the pressure is on to bring something nice to the potluck party tonight. I wanted to make mini pies but I don't think there's enough time given that I have to go to the hospital in the morning. Plus I have to transport it ~1 hour on public transportation.

So. Some kind of dip. But what kind??? That I can easily get all the ingredients for???

Ohhhh you just reminded me of spinach dip... I should make some, since I've got crackers and whatnot at home that I can dip. Woohoo!! Hopefully I can find the ingredients~~~ So excited!!

Offline Conner42

• Veteran
« Reply #2605 on: December 30, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »
A part of a lock in my school's bathroom stalls broke off and I could not open the door. I was seriously afraid I was going to be stuck in there the entire day. For the first time, I actually wanted a stall just like back in the US where you get no privacy but you could easily crawl out from under if something stupid like that happens(which it shouldn't).

Luckily, I'm a 100kg cat. I may be fat, but I still seem to be healthy and flexible enough to climb out. I tried MacGyvering my way out but I had nothing to unscrew the lock. Could probably tell someone about this problem, but...I don't know. With the communication issues, every time I bring up a problem, the situation gets even more confusing sometimes. I think they can figure it out.

I needed to share this story somewhere ^^ I just feel pretty good that I was able to climb out.
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

Offline LuluB

• Waygookin
  • LB79
« Reply #2606 on: December 30, 2016, 10:20:13 AM »
Literally the bus driver and me at school today.
Joy.

Offline LuluB

• Waygookin
  • LB79
« Reply #2607 on: December 30, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
A part of a lock in my school's bathroom stalls broke off and I could not open the door. I was seriously afraid I was going to be stuck in there the entire day. For the first time, I actually wanted a stall just like back in the US where you get no privacy but you could easily crawl out from under if something stupid like that happens(which it shouldn't).

Luckily, I'm a 100kg cat. I may be fat, but I still seem to be healthy and flexible enough to climb out. I tried MacGyvering my way out but I had nothing to unscrew the lock. Could probably tell someone about this problem, but...I don't know. With the communication issues, every time I bring up a problem, the situation gets even more confusing sometimes. I think they can figure it out.

I needed to share this story somewhere ^^ I just feel pretty good that I was able to climb out.

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2608 on: December 30, 2016, 10:39:17 AM »
I had to call the police on my neighbors last night .....

Hey Moonbrie seriously watch out. When I first came to Korea obviously things like that distressed me quite a bit and so I too would call the police and then try and things with the building manager.

The police may tell the man who called. They did in my case and the next day the guy came banging on my door yelling at me that he was going to **** me up and that it was none of my business, until I opened the door and he saw our size differences, and the whole foreigner thing.

The other issue is that it is sadly normal here for that sort of thing to occur. It is best to have a Korean friend call the police anonymously, and if over time that doesn't work then glue a letter to their door at 3am that is extremely personally threatening. The first few times I heard something like this often the police would turn up the first time I called, and the second or third time they would turn up, but stand at the door, and leave with out knocking or making their presence known.

Be prepared to be attacked by both the man and female involved if they know what you are doing.....

They often conciser this a private matter here, not something to be interfered with by anyone outside the home.

For more information on the Korean perspective of this, ask your students. Most of their mothers are required to "obey" their fathers.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2609 on: December 30, 2016, 12:04:58 PM »
I've been in Korea a total of 5 years.  I've been at my current school 2.5 years.  Why are there still teachers who are astounded by the fact that I like and can eat spicy food!?

Not really a rant, just exasperating.   :huh:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2610 on: December 30, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »

sorry what is a swing friend

are you guys swingers

swing dancing. I know "swing friend" sounds a little weird in English but since they just say swing as shorthand for swing dancing I've picked it up too  :cry:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2611 on: December 30, 2016, 01:22:36 PM »
I had to call the police on my neighbors last night .....

Hey Moonbrie seriously watch out. When I first came to Korea obviously things like that distressed me quite a bit and so I too would call the police and then try and things with the building manager.

The police may tell the man who called. They did in my case and the next day the guy came banging on my door yelling at me that he was going to **** me up and that it was none of my business, until I opened the door and he saw our size differences, and the whole foreigner thing.

The other issue is that it is sadly normal here for that sort of thing to occur. It is best to have a Korean friend call the police anonymously, and if over time that doesn't work then glue a letter to their door at 3am that is extremely personally threatening. The first few times I heard something like this often the police would turn up the first time I called, and the second or third time they would turn up, but stand at the door, and leave with out knocking or making their presence known.

Be prepared to be attacked by both the man and female involved if they know what you are doing.....

They often conciser this a private matter here, not something to be interfered with by anyone outside the home.

For more information on the Korean perspective of this, ask your students. Most of their mothers are required to "obey" their fathers.

yo thanks for making me even more anxious about this, gg

I'm not someone who takes calling the police lightly. I called them because the situation sounded terrifying and out of control. All I can do is hope that because the police know I'm a single woman living alone that they didn't tell my neighbors. Regardless, I can go to the management office and let them know what's up just in case the neighbors decide to get threatening.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2612 on: December 30, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
Always answer the door whilst holding a large knife?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2613 on: December 30, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »
Always answer the door whilst holding a large knife?

I don't answer the door unless I've ordered delivery lol

But maybe I should buy a bigger knife

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2614 on: December 31, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »
But maybe I should buy a bigger knife
Might I suggest:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2615 on: January 02, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »
I really need to prepare for camp tomorrow, but my motivation is decreasing by the second. I need to figure out how to motivate myself.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2616 on: January 02, 2017, 02:48:28 PM »
I really need to prepare for camp tomorrow, but my motivation is decreasing by the second. I need to figure out how to motivate myself.

You and me both, yo

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2617 on: January 03, 2017, 09:04:02 PM »
This has started out as a hell of a week. Hoping it rides out easier tomorrow and on.

Also, FYI, I tried the half-black strap molasses/half-honey concoction for gingerbread cookies, and, as predicted, I really liked the result. For those of you still iffy about black-strap molasses, you can use white sugar in place of brown sugar (since brown sugar is just refined white sugar with molasses added back in) to help balance out the flavor, but I thought it was just fine using the brown sugar.

Still haven't tried the molasses sugar because I haven't been able to find any in my area, but from what I've gathered you can't really use it to replace molasses itself; it's used to replace the sugar in recipes. So if you want to make gingerbread cookies using molasses sugar, you'd use it to substitute for the brown sugar. Would make for a more intense flavor and, apparently, it's healthier since the sugar isn't refined. I haven't had a look at the crystals, but if they're bigger and chunkier than refined sugar, it'll also change the texture of whatever you're baking -- this is okay for cookies, especially for gingerbread (makes them denser and not as soft). Not so much for cake, but then I guess that depends on the cake (if you want it denser and courser or not as fluffy/moist).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:09:28 PM by Chinguetti »

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2618 on: January 04, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
^might have to order me some molasses next time I order from Coupang. Chewy molasses cookies sound sooo good right now.

In random boastful news, I am averaging 110 WPM on typing tests. This might explain why once when I was googling something for the kids, they all gasped and told me I was really fast. Lol

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2619 on: January 04, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
Wow, that is really fast.

My kids gasp and say I type really fast when I type too, though. Granted I'm also a pretty fast typer, but I just said to them "I'm really slow at typing in Korean; of course you can type fast in your native language" and they agreed