December 11, 2017, 05:20:24 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 424972 times)

Offline 외계인

• Expert Waygook
  • "I would prefer not to."
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »
I have a completely irrational hatred of when people do this (the one on the right of the picture):

I have heard this before but never understood why one is better than the other. I am perplexed as to the benefits of an outward facing sheet versus an inward one... Please enlighten me

EDIT: Reminds me of my hatred for toothpaste anarchists:

Nice creepy avatar.

P.S. You better watch your toothpaste.  :huh:

Offline tikleme_elmo

• Veteran
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »

It's simple, really.  The right way (green) causes the next free sheet to hang from the roll away from the wall (by the width of the roll itself).  This makes it extremely easy to put your hand behind it and pull the paper.

The wrong way (red) on the other hand (and it is wrong, this is not subjective, it is a fact) causes the free sheet to be against the wall.  It's further away (by the width of the roll) and you have to paw at it and get hold of the the free end before you can pull.

If you have never considered this before then I am very surprised.  I suppose it is possible that you have led a charmed life and, despite random chance, every toilet you have ever used has happened to have the roll installed the Right Way.

Interesting, yet unconvincing. I guess I will just continue to lead a life of toilet paper chaos and entropy.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »

This is only true if you don't have pets or small children.
The one on the right is slightly less likely to be used to decorate your home with shredded and or drooled-on paper.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
After a solid twelve years of boozing it up several times a week, I quit drinking alcohol cold turkey in November of 2013. I still haven't figured how people manage to have alcohol-free social lives. I'll try to go out and be social, but I'm apparently just terrible at being around other people unless my inhibitions are chemically lowered.

It's frustrating, because I'll sit at home alone moping about how I wish I had more social contact, but then I'll go out to try to socialize and just come home feeling worse than I did before going out because everything just feels super awkward all evening.

How the h3ll do sober people maintain their sanity? I MUST KNOW THEIR SECRETS.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
Moving out of my 6 pyeong mosquito box apartment which has literally no windows this weekend. I think the teacher spent literally five minutes one afternoon looking for an apartment for the native teacher.

Offline The 13th Earl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »
After a solid twelve years of boozing it up several times a week, I quit drinking alcohol cold turkey in November of 2013. I still haven't figured how people manage to have alcohol-free social lives. I'll try to go out and be social, but I'm apparently just terrible at being around other people unless my inhibitions are chemically lowered.

It's frustrating, because I'll sit at home alone moping about how I wish I had more social contact, but then I'll go out to try to socialize and just come home feeling worse than I did before going out because everything just feels super awkward all evening.

I quit in April 2003 while serving in the British Navy (that WAS hard) my social life died too as I couldn't go out anywhere and when I did, I found drunk people annoying.

I got some semblance of a social life back at one stage in early 2006 and found I could go out and have a criac with some mates but it got too boring.

I started drinking again in the Dominican Republic on May 7th 2006 and it was the worse decision of my life. 

In short, I'd love to quit once again but it's cheap to get drunk here and everybody else is falling down drunk, so I may as well join in.

That new flavoured soju is the devil BTW.

Offline kaasenham

• Adventurer
  • The only constant in life is change.

Offline 외계인

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »

In Korea, good question.  Back home I can think of a couple other options.  :wink:

Offline The 13th Earl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »
Yes but the other options lead to 'other' options and then you've a bigger problem than when you started out. Believe me, I've been there.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »

have you tried joining some hobby or activity groups on meetup.com? there's a lot of stuff that goes on that doesn't involve booze. hiking clubs, rock climbing, badminton, tennis, paragliding, etc.

could make some new friends that way, maybe start a new hobby if you haven't done any of those things before ^^

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »

In Korea, good question.  Back home I can think of a couple other options.  :wink:

Genetics... taste buds... etc...

Personally, I used to be an alcoholic... now beer tastes like crap to me... I used to love the taste of beer. Some things attributed to me quitting drinking, but overall I just got tired of it... and one day I realized I hadn't had a drink in a couple weeks... after that... uh yeah... just cold turkey. Nowadays I'll have a drink about once a month in social situations, but that's it. I don't feel compelled to drink in many situations now. Just don't. Don't know how to better explain it. I became a different person, and it's only then that you can understand that to some people alcohol's charm just doesn't work.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2015, 02:29:57 PM »

I quit in April 2003 while serving in the British Navy (that WAS hard) my social life died too as I couldn't go out anywhere and when I did, I found drunk people annoying.

I got some semblance of a social life back at one stage in early 2006 and found I could go out and have a criac with some mates but it got too boring.

I started drinking again in the Dominican Republic on May 7th 2006 and it was the worse decision of my life. 

In short, I'd love to quit once again but it's cheap to get drunk here and everybody else is falling down drunk, so I may as well join in.

That new flavoured soju is the devil BTW.

Ha. I was in the US Navy myself, and I made no attempts whatsoever to curtail my drinking in those days. Only quit this time because blood tests showed some weirdness with my liver, and further tests lead a doctor to tell me that, while my Liver isn't completely shot yet, it'd be in my best interests to knock it off with the booze if I don't want it to become useless in the near future.

I've tried developing a social life by involving myself with the local music scene, but annoyingly, gigs tend to be at bars and clubs here, and then everyone wants to hang out and get drunk after the show's over. Plus, when I was in a band with other expats, they all ended up leaving after a few months, and now that I'm in a band with Koreans, none of them really want anything to do with me outside of band practice and gigs, so I'm not really getting the boost in my social life that I was hoping to get.

I know this sounds really whiny or pity-party-esque, but I'm mostly just saying this stuff out loud and in public to get it off my chest. It's a bit therapeutic.

Offline Tinsley

• Veteran
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »

have you tried joining some hobby or activity groups on meetup.com? there's a lot of stuff that goes on that doesn't involve booze. hiking clubs, rock climbing, badminton, tennis, paragliding, etc.

could make some new friends that way, maybe start a new hobby if you haven't done any of those things before ^^

This! Definitely check meetup.com if you're near Seoul. If you want to have some sober fun, going out during the daytime will be your best bet. If there's no meetups near you, you can try facebook too. I know there's some travel groups on there if you ever want to tag along to a baseball game or go paragliding or something.

If that doesn't pan out though, you can always join a church?

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »

I don't really do the physical activity thing after getting double knee surgery my first month in Korea (thanks, mandatory staff volleyball!). I really like hiking and Korea has a lot of places that look like they'd be great for it, but I always end up sat on my ass with an ice pack on my knee for two or three days afterwards whenever I give it a try anymore. Same goes for pretty much any physical exertion that isn't impact-free, annoyingly.

As I mentioned after you posted this, though, I'm trying to somehow meet people through music. Hasn't quite worked out according to plan yet, but it's what I've got, so I'll keep trying.

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2015, 02:46:44 PM »
so it's another Friday afternoon. My school had finals this week that lasted Monday through Thursday. I literally spent the entire day preparing for my summer camp during those 4 days. Today at lunch, I am talking to one of the Korean teachers and she informs me that summer camp may now be cancelled due to construction at the school. They haven't made the decision one way or the other yet....

If it is cancelled, then it looks like I will have 2 weeks of my winter camp planned already. If it's not, then I have my summer camp mostly prepared and finished.

What really irks me is why they cannot make an f-ing decision here one way or the other and let me know in advance. Pull the f-ing trigger and say yes or no to the construction! If it is cancelled, I'm going to be a bit irked at the situation as I could have spent those 4 days on planning and preparing for other classes and lessons for next semester.

The lack of any common sense and logic in this country still boggles my mind, even after having spent the past 6+ years here now.

Heading down to Busan at 6pm, so in reality it will be the last thing on my mind come then...but until I leave in 30mins, I can't get over the complete ignorance here at times. How does anything actually productive happen in this country? :rolleyes:

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2015, 02:51:42 PM »

I don't really do the physical activity thing after getting double knee surgery my first month in Korea (thanks, mandatory staff volleyball!). I really like hiking and Korea has a lot of places that look like they'd be great for it, but I always end up sat on my ass with an ice pack on my knee for two or three days afterwards whenever I give it a try anymore. Same goes for pretty much any physical exertion that isn't impact-free, annoyingly.

As I mentioned after you posted this, though, I'm trying to somehow meet people through music. Hasn't quite worked out according to plan yet, but it's what I've got, so I'll keep trying.

Search around on meetup.com, those things i posted are just examples. There are a few music-based meetups on their -  Seoul jazz lovers, seoul drummers, a few other things.

There's even random stuff like Bitcoin meetups. I you live somewhere else besides Seoul you  can search for stuff in the city you live in, or the closest major city to you.

Offline 외계인

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »

Genetics... taste buds... etc...

Personally, I used to be an alcoholic... now beer tastes like crap to me... I used to love the taste of beer. Some things attributed to me quitting drinking, but overall I just got tired of it... and one day I realized I hadn't had a drink in a couple weeks... after that... uh yeah... just cold turkey. Nowadays I'll have a drink about once a month in social situations, but that's it. I don't feel compelled to drink in many situations now. Just don't. Don't know how to better explain it. I became a different person, and it's only then that you can understand that to some people alcohol's charm just doesn't work.

Yeah, Cass will do that to you..  :undecided:

Yes but the other options lead to 'other' options and then you've a bigger problem than when you started out. Believe me, I've been there.

Not necessarily true for everyone. But, let's leave it at that.

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #237 on: July 10, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
Well it's still Friday, it's late and I am quite drunk.

This is a ramble although I am not sure if it is pointless or not.

I am sad. Ironically, I am sad because I am not sad.

You see, last Sunday my brother died. There's another thread where some folks thought it was sad I didn't care about my brother. But, it is what it is. You can't pick your family.

I was happy when my sister emailed me with the news of my brother's death. I hated him. I have my reasons and they are legitimate.

But, after a week of thought, I am sad that I am not sad. I do not know if you can understand. I have 3 friends who have siblings with which they have a relationship that leads them to feel the same. Most people though, love their siblings.

I am sad because I am not sad. Can you possibly understand?

I wish I had had a wonderful loving relationship with my brother, but I didn't.

So, there's my pointless Friday rambling.

I'll mention that I am the last surviving male in my family. I have no children. Thus, when I die, that is the end of my family tree. It is something I planned on and something I am delighted about. That's kind of sad too.

My family was very nice but a total mess.

Rambling on a Friday.
Hail Caesar

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2015, 03:30:08 PM »
School gave me 50,000 won for my english camp. Used half to buy stuff for camp, and the other half for snacks. Bill came out to be 49,953. Pretty proud of myself.  Only regret is that I should've put more thought into what I was buying so that I'd get an even 50,000.

Oh well, gonna count it as a success on a Friday afternoon.
Open your mind.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
Well it's still Friday, it's late and I am quite drunk.

This is a ramble although I am not sure if it is pointless or not.

I am sad. Ironically, I am sad because I am not sad.

You see, last Sunday my brother died. There's another thread where some folks thought it was sad I didn't care about my brother. But, it is what it is. You can't pick your family.

I was happy when my sister emailed me with the news of my brother's death. I hated him. I have my reasons and they are legitimate.

But, after a week of thought, I am sad that I am not sad. I do not know if you can understand. I have 3 friends who have siblings with which they have a relationship that leads them to feel the same. Most people though, love their siblings.

I am sad because I am not sad. Can you possibly understand?

I wish I had had a wonderful loving relationship with my brother, but I didn't.

So, there's my pointless Friday rambling.

I'll mention that I am the last surviving male in my family. I have no children. Thus, when I die, that is the end of my family tree. It is something I planned on and something I am delighted about. That's kind of sad too.

My family was very nice but a total mess.

Rambling on a Friday.

I'm really sorry to hear this.  Both because there's a loss of life and because of your bad relationship with your brother.  It's okay to feel the way you do, there's simply no other way to feel. 

Good luck in the future, I hope if you haven't already, you can deal with the issues you had with your brother and move on from it.  We don't get to choose our families, and sometimes cutting someone loose is the only way both of you can be happy.  There will always be a connection, but I hope you can get to a place where you're ok with not being sorry.