February 25, 2018, 01:23:59 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 518908 times)

Offline gnomon

• Veteran
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2120 on: November 21, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »
I've lived in Korea for nearly three years and only just found this out.

I've been pronouncing the Kakao character Apeach's name as "에이 peach".

Turns out his name is actually pronounced "어 peach".

:shocked:

For the few months here I thought that thing was supposed to be an ass. Finding out that it was a fruit was soul altering.

I still prefer to think of it as an ass haha. But that "어peach" not "에이peach" thing, wow... TIL  :shocked:

I'm a Tube guy myself, though. oh that wacky duck!  :laugh:

Same way they would be pronouncing it if they had to "It is a peach." For them, "A" is always 어 and when I say "a" they get confused and think maybe "are" because they can't understand the schwa sound.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2121 on: November 21, 2016, 12:32:57 PM »
My teacher office smells like grass clippings. But not the good first lawn mowing kind of way, like the old composty type.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2122 on: November 21, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »

For the few months here I thought that thing was supposed to be an ass. Finding out that it was a fruit was soul altering.

I still prefer to think of it as an ass haha. But that "어peach" not "에이peach" thing, wow... TIL  :shocked:

I'm a Tube guy myself, though. oh that wacky duck!  :laugh:

Same way they would be pronouncing it if they had to "It is a peach." For them, "A" is always 어 and when I say "a" they get confused and think maybe "are" because they can't understand the schwa sound.

Yeah I agree with you.  But to me it still makes no sense that Koreans are pronouncing his name as if they would "It is a peach".  It's a name and the "A" is capitalised so I instinctively pronounce it as if I was reading the alphabet.

Do Koreans pronounce "The A-Team" as "The 어-Team"?  :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #2123 on: November 21, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »
I'm wearing a two piece suit, custom made in Sinsa-dong, so I look pretty damn good today. Gotta keep it light though, so I'm wearing a Stones "Exile On Main Street" shirt, too. A student asked me who they were and I said, "The Rolling Stones, they're a rock band."

My Co-Teacher said, "Same as The Beatles" to the kid.

:blank:

NO

How much was your suit? I got one made at a place at 역삼역 and it was like 700,000 and they managed to screw up twice while making it.

No idea. My GF's dad payed for it. He's a VP at GS Goldstar, so he had no problem whipping the card out.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2124 on: November 21, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »

I love Apeach for the reason that it looks like an ass. Finding out that Muzi is supposed to be a raddish possibly brought to life by Con (some 4th graders tried to explain it to me so the actual story behind it could have got lost in translation) was what surprised me.

It's truueeee ~~~~

https://www.kakaofriends.com/en/character

I had no idea he was actually a radish!

Muzi is a radish???? Ryan is a lion???  I thought he was a bear.  Jay-G is a mole? As in the underground animal? What the hell is this? 

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2125 on: November 21, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »

I love Apeach for the reason that it looks like an ass. Finding out that Muzi is supposed to be a raddish possibly brought to life by Con (some 4th graders tried to explain it to me so the actual story behind it could have got lost in translation) was what surprised me.

It's truueeee ~~~~

https://www.kakaofriends.com/en/character

I had no idea he was actually a radish!

Muzi is a radish???? Ryan is a lion???  I thought he was a bear.  Jay-G is a mole? As in the underground animal? What the hell is this?
I have heard that Ryan is a lion, and while it makes sense with the way it sounds, he looks like a straight up bear. The others I knew about from people filling me in.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2126 on: November 21, 2016, 01:41:24 PM »
I was chatting with some of my low-level second graders in the office, and I was happy that they were making such a big effort.

Then, in front of jerk boss...

Student: Teacher you have very beautiful picture!
Me: Picture? Where?
JB: Yeah where's the picture?
Student: (gestures to her back)
Me: What?
Student: The picture on your back!
Me: .... ohhhh.... uh, well first of all it's called a tattoo
Student: Yes! Very beautiful tattoo!
Me: When did you see it????
Student: Summer!
Me: Er ok well... it's a secret. (finger over lips) Ok? Got it? Secret!
JB: Right, they are from your generation
Student: Secret! I already forgot  8)

Jerk Boss just sits there laughing

And just now realizing she said me and my students who are half my age are in my same generation. Maybe technically true, but if she thinks of me as being essentially the same as my students... that explains a bit I guess

but also wtf

The student was cute though

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #2127 on: November 21, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »
In reading some posts today I was reminded of something. I use to love Waygook. I used to love debating (read: arguing) online. And it wasn't all bad as I'm sure my typing speed increased, and, perhaps, my debating skills/forming arguments, etc. improved, too.  I used to be on here a lot.

In February of this year, I came back from my lovely hols backpacking in S.E. Asia. It was the first day of work and I log into waygook. Perhaps the first thing I read is the old rant thread and somebody is describing some K-logic and I make some 'yes, let the hate flow' meme comment. I'm sure there was more substance to the post, and yes, the overused StarWars meme comment isn't that funny at all.

AlivePoet, quoted my post and wrote the most pernickety fastidious correction 'I don't  think blah blah had any hate at all... he was just ... yadda yadda yadda.... '  It was beautiful, really. It was such a pointless correction that typifies so many pointless arguments on here that I and others have had/are having. It was eye opening and it was a blessing. I've been on waygook since but rarely.  And don't get me wrong, if you wanna argue on here, I don't judge. Most have a lot of time to kill... and the ego loves nothing more than winning an argument or smiting a fool. So you carry on being your beautiful selves. There is no judgement here. I just wanted to say, 'This drink's to you, AlivePoet'.

Anyway, that's my non-Friday ramble.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2128 on: November 21, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »
I'm wearing a two piece suit, custom made in Sinsa-dong, so I look pretty damn good today. Gotta keep it light though, so I'm wearing a Stones "Exile On Main Street" shirt, too. A student asked me who they were and I said, "The Rolling Stones, they're a rock band."

My Co-Teacher said, "Same as The Beatles" to the kid.

NO

Absolutely.....the stones aint fit to clean the shoes of Ringo, let alone the other Beatles!

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2129 on: November 21, 2016, 02:33:32 PM »

I still prefer to think of it as an ass haha.

Lol, same. The only time I use it is when joking with my wife I send the one where it's facing away.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2130 on: November 21, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »
From the Kakao page that Jenni uploaded:
APEACH: A mischievous, silly fruit
APEACH is a genetically modified peach that left the orchard to seek adventure. This playful and wild creature is not afraid to show off its backside, which may remind you of something other than a peach.

That is perfect. I think I can leave Korea happy and completed now.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2131 on: November 22, 2016, 07:35:10 AM »
Yesterday, I learned that peppers is not something I want to smell during a high-intensity cardio workout.

I also learned that I should not be allowed anywhere near green-tea cake after a workout.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2132 on: November 22, 2016, 07:48:31 AM »
It's insane how popular the Kakao Friends all are. I have a Muji coffee mug and a Ryan mug, too. They literally make me happy when I use them.

ha are you me?! I look forward to my morning coffee everyday cause I drink it from my Tube mug.  :azn:

I used to think the obsession with the characters was a little strange, but once you let the kakao love flow through you, your life really does get better  ;D

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2133 on: November 22, 2016, 08:40:13 AM »
It's insane how popular the Kakao Friends all are. I have a Muji coffee mug and a Ryan mug, too. They literally make me happy when I use them.

ha are you me?! I look forward to my morning coffee everyday cause I drink it from my Tube mug.  :azn:

I used to think the obsession with the characters was a little strange, but once you let the kakao love flow through you, your life really does get better  ;D
I think he Line characters are a bit more popular, but yeah, the obsession with both is weird, haha. Good weird though. I love Ryan, he is so darn cute!

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2134 on: November 22, 2016, 09:04:23 AM »
I think all of the kakao friends are weird. I don't like them. /comeatmebro

I love Line Friends, though. The stuff you can buy from Line Friends stores may be way overpriced, but they're well-made, so of course I've got a few things here and there.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2135 on: November 22, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »

I love Line Friends, though. The stuff you can buy from Line Friends stores may be way overpriced, but they're well-made, so of course I've got a few things here and there.
Ryan is really the only one I would get something off. He was a good new addition. I think in general Line is cuter. Except for James. He gives me the eebie jeebies.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #2136 on: November 22, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
Ryan is really the only one I would get something off. He was a good new addition. I think in general Line is cuter. Except for James. He gives me the eebie jeebies.

You have a lion fetish?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2137 on: November 22, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »

You have a lion fetish?
Haha, oops.

But I think thats more up this guys alley.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2138 on: November 22, 2016, 09:51:56 AM »

Ryan is my favorite, too. Those eyebrows.

And yeah, I don't like any of the human Line Friends. They're weird and creepy, especially Boss. I can barely stand Moon, either.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2139 on: November 22, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »
I hated Ryan at first.  It felt weird that they were adding another "main" character.

But he grew on me quickly and now he's my favourite  ;D  I think it's because he has such classic emoticons already (furiously typing on his keyboard while looking worried and the trembling face zoom shot are all time faves of mine).

My family in the UK all use Whatsapp and it's so boring!