December 11, 2017, 05:19:58 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 424972 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2020 on: November 15, 2016, 07:52:24 AM »
I know,I just don't know if they will bother over a small amount, and I'm not sure if they will get involved over something like housing deposits? I'm not sure. I really hoped it could go down in a civilised way so I wouldn't have to go down this route but it's looking like i'm gonna have to.

Can't hurt to try.  400 000 won is a lot of wine  ;D I'd check with the tax office first.  Then if they say that money has been paid then you can contact the labour board. 

The labour board is good, you can file a 'petition' and then they will get back to you after a few weeks to tell you what they think and whether you should proceed.  If you can tell them definitely that your tax is up to date then that money shouldn't be held by your school.  I am sure they are well versed in hagwons withholding foreign teachers deposits for nonsense reasons.  Like Kobayashi says it might shit them up a bit if they think you have a case against them.  Now the amount isn't so important, it is more the matter that they think you're not here, so it doesn't matter and you'll take any excuse.  I don't quite understand that you should be the one to prove that your schools didn't pay tax. 

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2021 on: November 15, 2016, 08:49:33 AM »
Yeah I don't know why either, he is just treating me like I'm a massive inconvenience when really I just want the whole thing over with so I can forget Korea ever happened  :laugh: the sooner he helps the sooner i will be off his back!
Sounds like you arent the only person who has trouble dealing with that person.

Anyone else find the JLP co-ordinator to be about as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking competition?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2022 on: November 15, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »
Yeah I don't know why either, he is just treating me like I'm a massive inconvenience when really I just want the whole thing over with so I can forget Korea ever happened  :laugh: the sooner he helps the sooner i will be off his back!

Anyone else find the JLP co-ordinator to be about as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking competition?

I'm curious as to what that's about. Wonder if DLJL would mind elaborating...

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2023 on: November 15, 2016, 01:04:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJFbsQBvLw

For the Final Fantasy'ers out there, haha.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2024 on: November 15, 2016, 03:18:33 PM »

That was amazing and the hardest I've laughed at a video at my desk. good job

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2025 on: November 15, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »
I seem to have caught the ill. Throat is red and sore  :cry:

Felt it starting yesterday so gargled some salt water and tucked in early. So def not as bad as it could be. Tomorrow we're playing volleyball and it happens to be at that day's travel school so I was told to just stay there  :sad:

Normally I don't mind playing a bit but if I feel worse tomorrow I'm gonna insist on staying on the sidelines.

Online Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2026 on: November 15, 2016, 05:37:56 PM »
How much is your housing deposit? Around 300k? So about 250-300 dollars. Not huge but nothing to laugh at either. Wouldn't hurt to send the labor board an email at least.

I would at least email the coordinator and your school telling them that if you don't receive your money within 2 weeks you're going to the labor board.

Housing deposit is 600k! I already told the co-ordinator that, he told me to 'go ahead'... and my school are completely ignoring me. argh! Does anyone have the email address for the labour board? I could only find a phone number and I don't have much free time given the time difference

Thanks guys!

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2027 on: November 15, 2016, 05:55:18 PM »

I'm curious as to what that's about. Wonder if DLJL would mind elaborating...

The guy is an absolute armpit of a human being and he's stealing a living. No problem, no matter how big or small, is beyond his ability to be utterly useless and offer no assistance whatsoever.

"My school signed a contract which commits me to teaching 35 hours a week for six months before I even got here. That wasn't what I signed up for, I'm far too over worked and stressed and can't do it. Please help me."

Competent human being: they absolutely should not sign a contract which compels you to work beyond what your contract says you should. Extra hours are always optional, like I say at orientation. I'll get onto the school immediately and tell them you can't keep doing so many hours and that in future they should wait and consult with the NET before signing them up to such a heavy workload without their permission.

What that useless human fart cloud says: hmmm sorry but you should probably just do it.

He bills himself as the 'go to guy' for anyone in need yet everyone I know who has ever required his help, with 100% consistency, reports back that he's a useless, obtuse arse cake. 

Any time a school comes up with a ludricuous excuse for awful behavior, you can count on him to totally buy it, no matter how ridiculous, and tell you it was all your fault. He's also completely bought into the Korean culture of 'oh I'm just so busy' and acts like reading and replying to an email is a strenuous work load.

Honestly, **** that guy.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2028 on: November 15, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »
Housing deposit is 600k! I already told the co-ordinator that, he told me to 'go ahead'... and my school are completely ignoring me. argh! Does anyone have the email address for the labour board? I could only find a phone number and I don't have much free time given the time difference
Thanks guys!

You can file a petition here

https://www.epeople.go.kr/jsp/user/on/eng/FrnPcCvreqForm.jsp

Probably best to make it out that you are still resident here.  You can write out your whole story with details etc mentioning about the tax etc.  Which you can do on word and then attach it.  They will look into it and see if you have a case.  If you managed to get details of the tax then you can include that too.  They can contact you by mail too.

If you wanted to call them you can on +82-31-345-500 ext 5.  Open from 9-6.  When I called them, they couldn't give me a definite answer.  They just told me to file a petition. 

Online Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2029 on: November 15, 2016, 09:45:08 PM »
Thanks guys!

You can file a petition here

https://www.epeople.go.kr/jsp/user/on/eng/FrnPcCvreqForm.jsp

Probably best to make it out that you are still resident here.  You can write out your whole story with details etc mentioning about the tax etc.  Which you can do on word and then attach it.  They will look into it and see if you have a case.  If you managed to get details of the tax then you can include that too.  They can contact you by mail too.

If you wanted to call them you can on +82-31-345-500 ext 5.  Open from 9-6.  When I called them, they couldn't give me a definite answer.  They just told me to file a petition.

Thank you! I'm going to get right on that tomorrow

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2030 on: November 16, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »
I.am.tired.

I don't have the energy to turn that into a rant, so it's just a statement of fact for today.

That, and I hate Wednesdays.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:09:35 AM by Chinguetti »

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2031 on: November 16, 2016, 09:52:02 AM »

That was amazing and the hardest I've laughed at a video at my desk. good job
Happy to help. :cheesy:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2032 on: November 16, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
Yesterday, I made sure the coteacher who keeps giving me food saw me heat up a bun in the microwave and eat it, hoped that maybe it would stem the tide of food.

Today she gave me re-gifted peppero, a bag of gummies, AND a bag of cooked sweet potatoes

I give up

next she'll be giving me literal lunch boxes

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2033 on: November 16, 2016, 10:39:03 AM »
Lol my third grade class I have in a few hours... I haven't seen them since September 21st because they're literally always canceled.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2034 on: November 16, 2016, 10:52:39 AM »
Lol my third grade class I have in a few hours... I haven't seen them since September 21st because they're literally always canceled.

That's basically how it was for the sixth graders yesterday. :laugh: I only saw them maybe three times since the semester started and that was before Chuseok. After Chuseok, I only saw them once for the open class I had a few weeks ago before seeing them again yesterday. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I don't mind. The co-teacher is a useless piece of shit and the kids never listen.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2035 on: November 16, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
I'm glad Keurigs aren't a thing here since k-cups are so bad for the environment.  I feel like Koreans would go absolutely batshit nuts over them.  Though would they really be that much worse than the maxim sticks?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2036 on: November 16, 2016, 12:11:41 PM »
I never did see why Keurigs and Tassimos were so popular back home. I tried both and, honestly, what I got from them didn't taste all that great. Seems like a waste of money. I'd rather spend it on good beans.

I really love those meat-stuffed steamed dumplings here but FACK if they don't make your breath smell bad for a while.

I brush my teeth and drink tea or water afterwards but it can only do so much to stem the tide against what rises up from the stomach.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2037 on: November 16, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »
I'm at a travel school and there's an open class today, so my coT asks if I can hang out in the teacher's office. No problem!

Hanging out in the teacher's office, coT insists I sit at her desk in a more comfortable chair. Cool. Start working on stuff. Then a random stranger enters and I have no idea what he's asking me. Somehow I ended up being alone in the room and poor fellow assumed I was a Korean teacher. He even called me 선생님 lol. I'm at least able to tell him I don't speak much Korean and "I don't know" to whatever he's asking me.

Sure enough, as soon as he exits to find an actual Korean, a teacher and the secretary subsequently wander back in. Hahahah

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2038 on: November 16, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »
There's no way you think the instant coffee here tastes better than the keurig/tassimo coffee though.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2039 on: November 16, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
I'm at a travel school and there's an open class today, so my coT asks if I can hang out in the teacher's office. No problem!

Hanging out in the teacher's office, coT insists I sit at her desk in a more comfortable chair. Cool. Start working on stuff. Then a random stranger enters and I have no idea what he's asking me. Somehow I ended up being alone in the room and poor fellow assumed I was a Korean teacher. He even called me 선생님 lol. I'm at least able to tell him I don't speak much Korean and "I don't know" to whatever he's asking me.

Sure enough, as soon as he exits to find an actual Korean, a teacher and the secretary subsequently wander back in. Hahahah

'If a foreigner sits in the teachers' room, do they really exist?'  You do realise that is your only reason for existing in the teachers' room, to justify other people's existence?  A possible glitch in the matrix.  Or maybe it was just the comfy chair  :P