December 15, 2017, 10:08:28 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429372 times)

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2000 on: November 13, 2016, 10:47:33 PM »
@Kyndo I wish it were that easy to get payslips via NEIS. For some reason it seems for a minority (?) of us that the info just never gets plugged into the system at all.  :sad: Idk if it has something to do with being RLP vs JLP or what.

@Imogen -- yeeesh!! What a horrid drawn out saga of horsepuckey!! As frustrating and ridiculous as I can only assume that must be, I hope you keep fighting for it. They should not be allowed to get away with it.

Do you happen to have a bankbook that has records of what your school deposited into your account? That corresponding with what your gross pay and deductions were should help show that taxes were indeed being taken out.

Also... i imagine the school ought to have records of your pay and deductions SOMEwhere. Not sure why the ed coordinator can't demand those records?  :undecided:

that's a good idea! i have my bank book but I'm not in Korea anymore so don't know how I could access it with it. But I do have online banking! so maybe that can suffice. Thank you! Yeah I don't know why either, he is just treating me like I'm a massive inconvenience when really I just want the whole thing over with so I can forget Korea ever happened  :laugh: the sooner he helps the sooner i will be off his back!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2001 on: November 14, 2016, 07:11:11 AM »
that's a good idea! i have my bank book but I'm not in Korea anymore so don't know how I could access it with it. But I do have online banking! so maybe that can suffice. Thank you! Yeah I don't know why either, he is just treating me like I'm a massive inconvenience when really I just want the whole thing over with so I can forget Korea ever happened  :laugh: the sooner he helps the sooner i will be off his back!

Imogen, are you saying that they said it is because of tax?  Not for any previous years but from this year, as I know you finished in the summer?

Offline colouringin

• Waygookin
« Reply #2002 on: November 14, 2016, 08:15:42 AM »
...he gave me a look of confusion and reached for the material......  horror...  we both realised it was pants(panties for Americans
Your male student was wearing (or rather, not wearing) panties?  :huh:

Hmmmm in the UK we call them pants, girls pants, boys pants.... I thought the American was panties?lol. Is that just for ladies? what are boys pants called?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2003 on: November 14, 2016, 08:30:02 AM »
...he gave me a look of confusion and reached for the material......  horror...  we both realised it was pants(panties for Americans
Your male student was wearing (or rather, not wearing) panties?  :huh:

Hmmmm in the UK we call them pants, girls pants, boys pants.... I thought the American was panties?lol. Is that just for ladies? what are boys pants called?
Yeah, boys don't wear panties. Girls do, boys just wear underwear, or boxers in general.

I have had students leave almost every piece of their uniforms behind in my classroom. Ties, shirts, pants, stockings... I don't get how (or even why) they can change in my room but then never come back for their clothes! Uniforms are expensive and they are still just in my class, months later.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #2004 on: November 14, 2016, 08:51:04 AM »
Why on Earth do we need a "Koreans who assume all foreigners don't speak Korean" AND a "Koreans that start speaking English at the sight of a foreigner" thread?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:58:29 AM by CO2 »

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2005 on: November 14, 2016, 08:53:53 AM »
Both are important issues in modern society.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2006 on: November 14, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »
Once when I was in Japan, our large group had broken off into smaller ones. I was wandering around with a few non-Asian gents who looked more obviously foreign than I did. A Japanese man came up to me and started speaking in Japanese-- I managed to tell him I only spoke a little and that I was actually American. Turns out he spoke some English! He apologized-- he had thought I was their tour guide! Lol! He just wanted us to check out an art exhibit where he had some photos on display. He was a pretty good photographer!

When in Japan, Korea, or China, I often was mistaken for a native. I feel like a really inept spy-- I can pass until someone tries to ask me something out of my language purview.  :laugh:

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2007 on: November 14, 2016, 10:58:38 AM »

Imogen, are you saying that they said it is because of tax?  Not for any previous years but from this year, as I know you finished in the summer?
I worked at 1 school from April 2015-April 2016. Then I moved to a second, and only worked there for 4 months (gave my 2 months notice and everything as required). The second school are saying i didn't pay tax at my first school between the months of January - April. But my pay checks were always the exact same amount so I don't see how it could be true!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2008 on: November 14, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »
Today the coteacher who keeps giving me crackers and candies gave me a bag of 5 baked sweet potatoes (plus the standard sleeve of crackers)

This is getting a little out of hand lol

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2009 on: November 14, 2016, 11:54:09 AM »

I worked at 1 school from April 2015-April 2016. Then I moved to a second, and only worked there for 4 months (gave my 2 months notice and everything as required). The second school are saying i didn't pay tax at my first school between the months of January - April. But my pay checks were always the exact same amount so I don't see how it could be true!

Very strange. I wonder if the new NET has received his/her flight allowance yet, or whatever was due  :lipsrsealed:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2010 on: November 14, 2016, 12:59:02 PM »
Am I the only foreigner in Korea who doesn't own a ukelele?

Is it a popular instrument to learn/play in America?  Or does Korea turn people onto it when they arrive?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2011 on: November 14, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »
I haven't got one but I know some who acquired one recently after coming to Korea. (One already plays guitar, another doesn't play anything [yet?])

I think it's a simple enough and inexpensive instrument for people to pick up on. It's also very portable. Maybe people with downtime decide to finally tackle a musical instrument.

There was a ukelele club at the school I used to work at (back home), so I think it's got kind of a niche popularity.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2012 on: November 14, 2016, 01:35:18 PM »
I like the way the word "ukulele" sounds.

It was never a thing in my area, but you can find them everywhere in Austin.

Up until middle school I thought a ukulele was an ocarina, and was vehemently corrected by a friend who was taking ukulele lessons.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2013 on: November 14, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »

Very strange. I wonder if the new NET has received his/her flight allowance yet, or whatever was due  :lipsrsealed:

Nope they haven't! That's another reason why I'm pretty sure there is some shadiness going on

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2014 on: November 14, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »
crackers and candy for lunch from concerned coteacher - Wednesday dance classes = +1 kg  :cry:

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2015 on: November 14, 2016, 02:34:27 PM »
Nope they haven't! That's another reason why I'm pretty sure there is some shadiness going on

file a complaint with the Labor Board. serious. they will stop stuffing around super-quick if you do.

https://www.moel.go.kr/english/sai/saiQna.jsp

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2016 on: November 14, 2016, 03:49:33 PM »

file a complaint with the Labor Board. serious. they will stop stuffing around super-quick if you do.

Yea, might be time to bring in the big artillery...

Hopefully you can dig up some records via online banking; I don't do online banking here so I'm not sure exactly what is shown or how long data remains.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2017 on: November 14, 2016, 06:13:47 PM »
Why on Earth do we need a "Koreans who assume all foreigners don't speak Korean" AND a "Koreans that start speaking English at the sight of a foreigner" thread?

That's like asking why we glaze donuts while having others with filling.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2018 on: November 14, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »

Yea, might be time to bring in the big artillery...

Hopefully you can dig up some records via online banking; I don't do online banking here so I'm not sure exactly what is shown or how long data remains.

I know,I just don't know if they will bother over a small amount, and I'm not sure if they will get involved over something like housing deposits? I'm not sure. I really hoped it could go down in a civilised way so I wouldn't have to go down this route but it's looking like i'm gonna have to.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2019 on: November 15, 2016, 07:35:17 AM »
How much is your housing deposit? Around 300k? So about 250-300 dollars. Not huge but nothing to laugh at either. Wouldn't hurt to send the labor board an email at least.

I would at least email the coordinator and your school telling them that if you don't receive your money within 2 weeks you're going to the labor board.