January 21, 2018, 02:24:10 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 467728 times)

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1880 on: November 04, 2016, 08:43:07 AM »
I'd like to get into making nice coffee at home but I hate it and prefer it milky.  Does that mean that making fancy coffee is a waste of time if I'm just going to pour milk into it?
Meh, it depends on how you like your coffee. I like my coffee strong but don't like acidity. The strong varieties I like are also slightly more acidic (I know brewing has an effect, too) so I make a strong brew and add some warm milk or soy/almond juice. I use the microwave to heat the milk then add fresh coffee until it becomes the color I like.

You could also just make run-of-the-mill coffee with a reasonably priced coffee maker. I gave away my large maker to the NET that replaced me when I moved but I got another for 45,000 won. Smaller, it makes about 6 6oz cups, which is 3 real cups to me, at a time. Then I got another blade grinder from gmarket for about 13,000 won. I get a large bag of roasted beans once a month/every 3 weeks. I like darker roasts from far-off lands so I spend about 60,000 won. I usually drink coffee everyday so I spend about 2,000-3,000 a day on home brew. I make it they way I want. And with the amount I drink even the cheapest of low-quality cafe drip brews would cost me double that amount. A comparable cup and amount at Starbucks, even more.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1881 on: November 04, 2016, 08:54:47 AM »
You can buy big bags of coffee beans at home plus or emart. I got an electric coffee grinder from gmarket and use a cafetiere or moka pot to make nice coffee.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1882 on: November 04, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »
I'd like to get into making nice coffee at home but I hate it and prefer it milky.  Does that mean that making fancy coffee is a waste of time if I'm just going to pour milk into it?
Meh, it depends on how you like your coffee. I like my coffee strong but don't like acidity. The strong varieties I like are also slightly more acidic (I know brewing has an effect, too) so I make a strong brew and add some warm milk or soy/almond juice. I use the microwave to heat the milk then add fresh coffee until it becomes the color I like.

^^same. I only like blonde roasts without milk. At school, though, I just drink strong coffee watered down since that's how everyone else does it....

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1883 on: November 04, 2016, 10:01:45 AM »
I love the smell of coffee and the taste of good coffee. Get my beans from a local coffee shop where the owner actually spent a good amount of years in Europe learning how to make coffee. xD His beans are good. He keeps something like ten varieties. I always end up getting Kenyan or Guatemalan.

I tried yirgacheffe once... too mild for me. Which is funny because I water my coffee down with a ton of milk -- I learned in college that I'm super sensitive to caffeine, so I have to super moderate it. It's basically only 25% coffee by the time I'm done with it. I add cocoa or milk tea or whatever to balance it out. But even with that, the flavor of my concoction is heavily influenced by the quality of the coffee I put in it.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1884 on: November 04, 2016, 10:14:04 AM »
I guess one of my cots has been increasingly concerned by my not eating lunch?

I have classes with her three days a week. On Monday, she gave me four small candies. On Wednesday, she gave me two fun-size candy bars. Today, she gave me a sleeve of crackers and two full-size candy bars.

I'm honestly fine not eating lunch but I'm starting to think I need to figure out something to eat because this has been getting a little ridiculous. First the principal and her muffins and bringing me food from the cafeteria, now this. I just don't have much time to prepare lunch before school, and I don't want to just eat cup ramyeon or some equally processed instant food every day.

Sigh

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1885 on: November 04, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
A package from home arrived today. Splurged and got a nice pallet of stage makeup to mess with in my free time and also to use for winter camp.  ;D

One of the teachers came over and started collecting all the foam packing peanuts onto a paper plate. "Tteokbokki" he said, and then placed it onto the snack table. 

So far it's tricked two teachers already  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1886 on: November 04, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »
...a teacher ate one, asking what it was  :huh:  :shocked: :huh:

We didn't catch him in time to reveal the trick. The original prankster then threw away the faux tteokbokki

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1887 on: November 04, 2016, 10:31:18 AM »
No school for a holiday today. The only kids around are the 1st/2nd/kindy (babysitting for working parents basically). Me and a few other teachers. My office is next to the kindy classroom, they are running up and down the halls. I must remember to thank Zeus for these Bose noise cancelling earbuds later.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1888 on: November 04, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »
That reminds me that I really need to start seriously shopping for Christmas gifts to send back to friends and family.

I haven't decided who yet, but someone's getting a homemade haetae beanie with long ear flaps.

Can't believe they aren't selling something even close to that even in the tourist-y areas.

We didn't catch him in time to reveal the trick.

I mean, did he swallow it?

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1889 on: November 04, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »

We didn't catch him in time to reveal the trick. The original prankster then threw away the faux tteokbokki

To be fair, the differences are negligible.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1890 on: November 04, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
^truth. But the texture is definitely off...

I think it may have actually been ingested, cause he looked like he was about to try another one... he made the prankster try one, too. Hah

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1891 on: November 04, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »
Coworker is beating a mallet into his palm and declaring, "I'm Thor."

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #1892 on: November 04, 2016, 01:51:33 PM »
I wish I knew how to be sexy.

I was giving my sweet girlfriend kisses.  I told her, "I am Choi Tae-min.  Be my Park Geun-hye.  I have a special ceremony if you want to join my organization."  She laughed and told me that isn't sexy, it is funny.   :cry: :cry:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1893 on: November 04, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »
I wish I knew how to be sexy.

I was giving my sweet girlfriend kisses.  I told her, "I am Choi Tae-min.  Be my Park Geun-hye.  I have a special ceremony if you want to join my organization."  She laughed and told me that isn't sexy, it is funny.   :cry: :cry:

At least you made her laugh.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1894 on: November 04, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »

is it the same coworker who was slapping the huge dried fish like a mafia man with a baseball bat?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1895 on: November 04, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »

is it the same coworker who was slapping the huge dried fish like a mafia man with a baseball bat?

You know it!  8) I'm gonna miss this dude. He's transferring after the end of this year. All the kids love him too.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1896 on: November 04, 2016, 02:54:21 PM »

You know it!  8) I'm gonna miss this dude. He's transferring after the end of this year. All the kids love him too.

I'd say I wish he'd come to my school but I'm not staying here.

I told some new acquaintances the cliffs notes story of boss cot and they suddenly got all quiet and were like "wow...that's really sobering...I'm sorry you have to go through that" hahahah

she did give me a nice face mask the other day though (you know, to make yourself more beautiful. maybe it's because everyone sees me)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1897 on: November 04, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »
I'm considering going home for winter vacation, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. It would only be for two weeks, but I think of cuddling my cat (who is 19 and probably not going to be around much longer :cry:), and seeing my friends and family, and the thought of being able to bake is making my mouth water, but then I think of the cost...but I don't know what I would do if I stayed here. Hmm. I need to decide soon though before tickets get more expensive.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1898 on: November 04, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
I'm considering going home for winter vacation, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. It would only be for two weeks, but I think of cuddling my cat (who is 19 and probably not going to be around much longer :cry:), and seeing my friends and family, and the thought of being able to bake is making my mouth water, but then I think of the cost...but I don't know what I would do if I stayed here. Hmm. I need to decide soon though before tickets get more expensive.

I used skyscanner and found a ticket back to the east coast for $830, not too bad. As long as you have a little flexability, use the prompts that allow you to compare the price of nearby dates. Good luck!

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1899 on: November 04, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »

I used skyscanner and found a ticket back to the east coast for $830, not too bad. As long as you have a little flexability, use the prompts that allow you to compare the price of nearby dates. Good luck!
Also, always use incognito mode. They do charge more if they know you keep looking.