December 16, 2017, 03:33:00 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 429520 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1840 on: November 02, 2016, 03:26:20 PM »
It is eerily quiet in the school right now. I'm wondering if classes got let out early today and no one bothered to tell me about it.

Man.. I really want some good ole homemade Thanksgiving food.
Samesies. Currently I have...instant mashed potatoes.  :sad:
But they're so good.

I like to roll them into balls, lightly coat them with olive oil, bread them in parmesan, and bake them in the oven. SOOOooooOOOOoooOOO good.
That sounds amazing.

Also, relating to the eyes, I don't know if you were talking about in Korea specific or in general, but optometrists really are doctors. They basically do the same level of things as opthamologists, minus the eye surgery. But they still prescribe things, can do some medical work on eyes as well.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1841 on: November 02, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
It is eerily quiet in the school right now. I'm wondering if classes got let out early today and no one bothered to tell me about it.

But they're so good.

I like to roll them into balls, lightly coat them with olive oil, bread them in parmesan, and bake them in the oven. SOOOooooOOOOoooOOO good.
That sounds amazing.

Also, relating to the eyes, I don't know if you were talking about in Korea specific or in general, but optometrists really are doctors. They basically do the same level of things as opthamologists, minus the eye surgery. But they still prescribe things, can do some medical work on eyes as well.

They are. I mix in stuff, too -- almost always chives, cheese and some kind of meat (bacon is great if you can find it). Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I'll make some this weekend and see if either Homeplus and Emart are currently carrying sour cream (they have in the past, probably not now but Ima check).

And yeah, it's Korea-specific. There's supposedly a stronger division between the two professions in both the amount of training and expertise that they have here, leading into a pretty wide variety of results (a lot of that seems to depends on how much of a difference your vision may have changed since your last prescription). I don't have any personal experience to go on that, just on what I've been very strongly told second-hand by numerous people who were, apparently, prescribed the wrong prescriptions.

Also, the optometrists here aren't allowed to check for eye health, either.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1842 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »
They are. I mix in stuff, too -- almost always chives, cheese and some kind of meat (bacon is great if you can find it). Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I'll make some this weekend and see if either Homeplus and Emart are currently carrying sour cream (they have in the past, probably not now but Ima check).

Bacon is great, why not make your own, i do and i have a freezer full of cured pig products.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/pops-wet-curing-brine

Sour cream is also easy to make at home:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/215240/homemade-sour-cream/

I see the lack of stuff i like in Korea as an opportunity to hone my kitchen skills.  Just had Lasagne for dinner and made some sun-dried focaccia bread for sandwiches next week ( freezes well - recipe: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/535456/paul-hollywood-s-focaccia .  Almost every food you miss is makeable with a little practice, and food tastes better when you make it yourself.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1843 on: November 03, 2016, 07:40:51 AM »

Bacon is great, why not make your own, i do and i have a freezer full of cured pig products.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/pops-wet-curing-brine

Sour cream is also easy to make at home:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/215240/homemade-sour-cream/

I see the lack of stuff i like in Korea as an opportunity to hone my kitchen skills.  Just had Lasagne for dinner and made some sun-dried focaccia bread for sandwiches next week ( freezes well - recipe: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/535456/paul-hollywood-s-focaccia .  Almost every food you miss is makeable with a little practice, and food tastes better when you make it yourself.

Maybe if I'm really hard-up for bacon I'll try making my own, but, as much as I love bacon, I eat it maybe 3-5 times in a year (and only as part of a dish). And I keep my fridge fairly packed with frozen fruits and stuff, so not enough room to be storing things that I don't eat very frequently. If I get a bigger place, I might get a mini freezer JUST for frozen meats, though.

And never really thought about making my own sour cream before, always kind of thought that the process would be too involved, but it seems really easy. Will give it a shot.

Thanks for the tips.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1844 on: November 03, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
I ended up deciding to stop by an eye place to try my luck and had a pretty good eye exam and got some nice cheap glasses. While I hope the prescription is correct, I think I can afford to make a $30 mistake.

Also my new glasses are really cool and compliment both my hair and my eyes. Score!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1845 on: November 03, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »

But they're so good.

That sounds amazing.

And yeah, it's Korea-specific. There's supposedly a stronger division between the two professions in both the amount of training and expertise that they have here, leading into a pretty wide variety of results (a lot of that seems to depends on how much of a difference your vision may have changed since your last prescription). I don't have any personal experience to go on that, just on what I've been very strongly told second-hand by numerous people who were, apparently, prescribed the wrong prescriptions.

Ahh, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure. I haven't actually gone to any eye related things since being here.

I may try that myself this weekend. And maybe even the sour cream or bread making if I have time.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1846 on: November 03, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
Whoo, I'm a super waygook now!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1847 on: November 03, 2016, 08:40:26 AM »
It feels good, doesn't it?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1848 on: November 03, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »

It's weird like, I know the ranking thing is just supposed to be a fun goal thing but I remember back when I started posting I felt like I was just some rando and not really part of the ~community~ and somewhere towards the end of my time as a two-star member I started to be like oh, I really am like a regular. So the three-star is just an extra boost.  :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1849 on: November 03, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »

It's weird like, I know the ranking thing is just supposed to be a fun goal thing but I remember back when I started posting I felt like I was just some rando and not really part of the ~community~ and somewhere towards the end of my time as a two-star member I started to be like oh, I really am like a regular. So the three-star is just an extra boost.  :cheesy: :cheesy:
I was basically just a lurker for my first 2.5-3 years, and my stars all came in the last year or so. It felt like I would never leave the basic level, then all of a sudden, I'm super!  :laugh:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1850 on: November 03, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »

Totally agree! I have been making some great hummus lately, simply because I can't find it here.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1851 on: November 03, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »
I have been making some great hummus lately, simply because I can't find it here.
If you're craving hummus and various other turkish foods, you may want to check out the Kebab Plus Gwangju FB page.
Theyve got some pretty cool hummus mixes, as well as kebabs, falafel, etc.
It's based in Gwangju, but if you order a certain amount they will deliver anywhere in mainland S.K. (for a price).
Next day delivery too!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:25:49 AM by kyndo »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1852 on: November 03, 2016, 09:26:13 AM »
I have been making some great hummus lately, simply because I can't find it here.
If you're craving hummus and various other turkish foods, you may want to check out the Kebab Plus Gwangju FB page.
It's based in Gwangju, but if you order a certain amount they will deliver anywhere in mainland S.K.

OMG I LOVE YOU *e-hugs and e-kisses for you*

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1853 on: November 03, 2016, 09:33:19 AM »

I was basically just a lurker for my first 2.5-3 years, and my stars all came in the last year or so. It felt like I would never leave the basic level, then all of a sudden, I'm super!  :laugh:

:laugh: I was the same way. I lurked under a different name for a year but then forgot my password when I switched schools, registered under this one, and lurked for another year before posting.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1854 on: November 03, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
It's based in Gwangju, but if you order a certain amount they will deliver anywhere in mainland S.K. (for a price).

oh my goodness gracious

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1855 on: November 03, 2016, 09:57:01 AM »

Have you (or anyone else) ordered this and got it delivered? Does it travel well?
How is it in general? Some of the hammus I've had in Korea has been....bad to say the least, so I'm always on the look out for something decent.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1856 on: November 03, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »
:-[ :smiley:

Have you (or anyone else) ordered this and got it delivered? Does it travel well?
How is it in general? Some of the hummus I've had in Korea has been....bad to say the least, so I'm always on the look out for something decent.
    I have actually ordered from here 2 or 3 times, usually in larger orders shared between 5 or 6 of us.
    The hummus travels very well, as does the falafel (the falafel is only the mix: you need to cook/bake/fry it yourself). The kababs were delicious, but not as fresh as you would get from a restaurant or street stall (which makes sense as they were sitting in a train for a few hours).
    The people did respond to our FB messages almost instantly, and were very good about custom orders, and complicated shipping instructions. The packaging included cold-packs, and everything was individually sealed.

The hummus was excellent: I personally very much enjoyed the sweet chilli mango... but then again, there are very few foods that I don't enjoy. Also, I've been told in the past that my culinary preferences are weird, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. :smiley:

In general, I would say that it was quite good, but if you live in one of the big cities and have convenient access to a kebab place, you will probably prefer going there. For the rest of us, this is definitely a great alternative! My experiences with them were all very positive, and they're rated a 4.9/5 on the FB page thingy. I would recommend giving them a try.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:18:10 AM by kyndo »

YoungMin

« Reply #1857 on: November 03, 2016, 10:23:19 AM »

In general, I would say that it was quite good, but if you live in one of the big cities and have convenient access to a kebab place, you will probably prefer going there. For the rest of us, this is definitely a great alternative! My experiences with them were all very positive, and they're rated a 4.9/5 on the FB page thingy. I would recommend giving them a try.

Do people read those ratings on FB? Not having a go at the Kebab place. I'm sure it's good.

I've had friends ask me to 'like and review' their business that was literally created 5 minutes ago on the can and never done a job or sold a cashnew nut and its got 12 5* reviews from friends. Total horseshit man.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:25:55 AM by AgentMichaelScarn »

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1858 on: November 03, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
Has anyone found a good hummus place in Seoul? All this talk has made me want some, but I imagine there is something close to here.

Offline blazaforest

• Waygookin
« Reply #1859 on: November 03, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »
:-[ :smiley:

How is it in general? Some of the hummus I've had in Korea has been....bad to say the least, so I'm always on the look out for something decent.
    I have actually ordered from here 2 or 3 times, usually in larger orders shared between 5 or 6 of us.
    The hummus travels very well, as does the falafel (the falafel is only the mix: you need to cook/bake/fry it yourself). The kababs were delicious, but not as fresh as you would get from a restaurant or street stall (which makes sense as they were sitting in a train for a few hours).
    The people did respond to our FB messages almost instantly, and were very good about custom orders, and complicated shipping instructions. The packaging included cold-packs, and everything was individually sealed.

The hummus was excellent: I personally very much enjoyed the sweet chilli mango... but then again, there are very few foods that I don't enjoy. Also, I've been told in the past that my culinary preferences are weird, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. :smiley:

What's their minimum order for deliveries, do you know? A couple of us in Yeosu are VERY excited about this prospect, LET ME TELL YOU.