December 18, 2017, 04:43:43 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 431579 times)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1600 on: October 13, 2016, 01:26:30 PM »
I have nothing to say, but I feel like I need to get over my 500-post threshold today, so...

I've finally started watching Bojack Horseman, and it's become my guilty pleasure. I try to listen to it while working at my desk but I find myself not working as proficiently because I keep looking over my shoulder to make sure no one can see what I'm watching.

It would be too hard explaining this show here.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1601 on: October 13, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
I have nothing to say, but I feel like I need to get over my 500-post threshold today, so...

I've finally started watching Bojack Horseman, and it's become my guilty pleasure. I try to listen to it while working at my desk but I find myself not working as proficiently because I keep looking over my shoulder to make sure no one can see what I'm watching.

That show is a wild ride and yes, it's true what they say. If you didn't like the first few episodes, they get really amazing in episode 5 or 6. It's well worth watching through the unevenness of the first lot.

Amazing show and I'm going to be Bojack for Halloween. My GF will be Todd. hahaha

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1602 on: October 13, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »

That show is a wild ride and yes, it's true what they say. If you didn't like the first few episodes, they get really amazing in episode 5 or 6. It's well worth watching through the unevenness of the first lot.

Amazing show and I'm going to be Bojack for Halloween. My GF will be Todd. hahaha

Yeah, I'll admit I thought it was really stupid going in but stuck it out because I really like Princess Carolyn's voice actress. So glad I did, too.

You two will be the best Halloween duo here. xD

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1603 on: October 13, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
I should plan lessons for next week but motivation is nil.

On a different tangent, my students have taught me that the "Korean" way to play Jenga is for everyone to flick or beat on the poor soul who topples the tower.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1604 on: October 13, 2016, 02:47:39 PM »

Hmm, maybe I will try it again. I got through the first... 3 maybe and stopped.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1605 on: October 13, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
I planned to do lesson planning today too... but I also decided not to take a nap at work, and I can't get away with not eating all day without a nap.

so I'm just sitting here starving and impatiently waiting for the end of the day.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1606 on: October 13, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »
I planned to do lesson planning today too... but I also decided not to take a nap at work, and I can't get away with not eating all day without a nap.

so I'm just sitting here starving and impatiently waiting for the end of the day.

Yeah, about an hour and a half ago I legit thought it was 4:00... :cry:

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1607 on: October 13, 2016, 03:09:22 PM »
Everyone in the ranting thread is knocking on candy corn and it makes me want some.

I had all my grade 2 HS classes cancelled this week except for tomorrow because they are on their class trip and  instead of using that time to lesson plan I have been watching more X-files, floating around these forums, and planning my vacation.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1608 on: October 14, 2016, 06:01:34 AM »
So I just discovered that Emart has started selling Post Oreo O's cereal, and I bought a box to relive my childhood and stuff, and it tastes much better than I remember. I haven't decided if that's because my tastebuds have regressed or if Post has improved the recipe since the last time I've eaten Oreo O's.

I'm thinking it's the latter because Oreo O's now has marshmallows in it and it didn't back in the day, and I gotta say that I'm okay with that.

@ HaLo3: I actually like candy corn, too, but I can only eat a little at a time and, despite my fondness for them, I'm still horrified by all of its little incarnations... which I can't help but to try every single one of them. I can't resist myself. It could be candy corn flavored broccoli, and I would still try it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:08:19 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1609 on: October 14, 2016, 07:11:35 AM »
A student came to me during lunch yesterday with something like 40 pages to edit from their book writing club. Tries telling me she needs it by the end of the day and, while I appreciate the fact that she thinks the dumb foreigner can pull that off, uhhh how about no? That said, I'd gotten through half of it by the time she came to retrieve it.

She's coming by for the rest of it at lunch today.  :lipsrsealed:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1610 on: October 14, 2016, 07:25:01 AM »
So I just discovered that Emart has started selling Post Oreo O's cereal, and I bought a box to relive my childhood and stuff, and it tastes much better than I remember. I haven't decided if that's because my tastebuds have regressed or if Post has improved the recipe since the last time I've eaten Oreo O's.

I'm thinking it's the latter because Oreo O's now has marshmallows in it and it didn't back in the day, and I gotta say that I'm okay with that.

One of my coworkers randomly gave me a box. I don't recall particularly liking it back in the day but I rather like this reincarnation! The marshmallows are great!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1611 on: October 14, 2016, 07:31:39 AM »
A student came to me during lunch yesterday with something like 40 pages to edit from their book writing club. Tries telling me she needs it by the end of the day and, while I appreciate the fact that she thinks the dumb foreigner can pull that off, uhhh how about no? That said, I'd gotten through half of it by the time she came to retrieve it.

Reminds me of a roommate in college who asked me to proofread a 10 page paper. When was it due? In less than an hour. Shot that down.

I hope she doesn't do that again. It's just inconsiderate  >:(

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1612 on: October 14, 2016, 07:41:20 AM »

Reminds me of a roommate in college who asked me to proofread a 10 page paper. When was it due? In less than an hour. Shot that down.

I hope she doesn't do that again. It's just inconsiderate  >:(

Yeah it is but she's a sweet kid so, sigh, here I am - red pen in hand.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1613 on: October 14, 2016, 07:47:59 AM »
Ahh. Well at least she wasn't a jerk about it then. Maybe you can nicely tell her that [next time] more time to edit it would be better? If she's a sweet kid she may understand. She may honestly not have realized what a time commitment that would have been. Kids sometimes don't realize people aren't magic.

My roommate, on the other hand, was of adult age and clearly should have known better.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1614 on: October 14, 2016, 08:15:51 AM »
Ahh. Well at least she wasn't a jerk about it then. Maybe you can nicely tell her that [next time] more time to edit it would be better? If she's a sweet kid she may understand. She may honestly not have realized what a time commitment that would have been. Kids sometimes don't realize people aren't magic.

My roommate, on the other hand, was of adult age and clearly should have known better.

She probably overestimated her own writing. This has happened a lot with people in my life. They don't give me enough time to check their work because they didn't realize there would be that many mistakes to correct. They reach a certain level of English to where the Korean teachers can't detect their mistakes, so they don't realize how many they're still making.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1615 on: October 14, 2016, 08:18:48 AM »
@ HaLo3: I actually like candy corn, too, but I can only eat a little at a time and, despite my fondness for them, I'm still horrified by all of its little incarnations... which I can't help but to try every single one of them. I can't resist myself. It could be candy corn flavored broccoli, and I would still try it.
I don't particularly care for the other flavored candy corns, like the chocolate ones, but otherwise, I really wanna try those candy corn cookies. And maybe the cereal... I'm the same way though, I can only eat a little at a time.

As for the Oreo Os, I never had them in my childhood, but when I found them here a few years ago I gave them a try. They were alright. But maybe I should try again, cuz I don't remember there being marshmallows.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1616 on: October 14, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
^what ajahya said. That could very well be it, too.

I feel like Fridays are gadget days. Somehow nearly every Friday there's a lot of fiddling around with new toys. Today someone has a mini remote clicker that sets off a beeping keychain as a kind of location device.

And the old people are having a festival in our gym. As someone explained to me when I looked confused at the sound of blaring music before 9am.

Offline jffjp

• Adventurer
« Reply #1617 on: October 14, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »
At work, I'm in the bathroom stall, doing my business.

I hear foot steps approach, getting closer to the bathroom.

I'm thinking "okay, whatever. Someone else is here in the bathroom."

I hear the footsteps right outside my stall door (mind you, there's 2 other stalls available with wide open doors).

The guy has the audacity to knock. I don't say anything because, what the hell. The door is closed, of course this stall is occupied.

3 seconds later, another few knocks and this guy tries to open the stall door.

I reply "uhh... Hello?  :lipsrsealed:"

He walks away.

It was the principal. What the hell. I swear, bathroom privacy here in Korea is non-existent.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1618 on: October 14, 2016, 08:28:48 AM »
I swear, bathroom privacy here in Korea is non-existent.

Like when there's 6 urinals and you take the left one, away from the door, and a student comes in and uses the one second from the left and.............

"Hello, teacher."  :undecided:

"Uhhh, hi."  :blank:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1619 on: October 14, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »
At work, I'm in the bathroom stall, doing my business.

I hear foot steps approach, getting closer to the bathroom.

I'm thinking "okay, whatever. Someone else is here in the bathroom."

I hear the footsteps right outside my stall door (mind you, there's 2 other stalls available with wide open doors).

The guy has the audacity to knock. I don't say anything because, what the hell. The door is closed, of course this stall is occupied.

3 seconds later, another few knocks and this guy tries to open the stall door.

I reply "uhh... Hello?  :lipsrsealed:"

He walks away.

It was the principal. What the hell. I swear, bathroom privacy here in Korea is non-existent.

One of the best (and most useful) pieces of advice from my EPIK orientation was that if someone knocks on the door of your stall you can just knock back.  You don't have to say anything! 

It's genius!  Removes the embarrassing need to say anything  ;D