December 17, 2017, 08:28:45 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 430148 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #1180 on: August 31, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
Apologies for being so early this week... or late for last week.

It occurred to me today when I was stuck in traffic that General Motors must not have thought it through too much when they re-badged Daewoo as Chevrolet.

The CH, the V, an R and an L.  The silent T rounds it out.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:18:34 AM by JNM »

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1181 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:47 AM »
So I saw a bunch of posts on my FB feed about Carly Rae Jepsen having a really awesome album out and I was kinda like, "dunno what all the fuss is about" but now that I've checked it out, I really rather dig it! Very... 80s nostalgic. And I dig 80s music  :laugh:

I listened to it recently too; it's pretty good!

Check out Brandon Flowers' solo album "The Desired Effect" for another really good homage to the 80s.  The singles are so good (Lonely Town, Still Want You...)  8)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1182 on: September 02, 2016, 08:40:04 AM »
My headteacher just sent all of the teachers for a Dokdo flashmob exercise video. Pretty entertaining.

http://blog.naver.com/zzx3952/10175269549

Offline sunflowerxoxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #1183 on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:05 AM »
Anyone else remember this terrible but totally catchy song.

"It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday. Party and party and yeah! Party and party and yeah! Fun, fun, fun, fun, looking forward to the weekend."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1184 on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »
Been waiting for Saturday since Sunday. Almost here!

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1185 on: September 02, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »
Who are these people all over my blinds in my English classroom? I would suspect just stock photography, but there's a big ol' Toronto Dominion (a real Canadian bank) logo next to that guy who really looks like he's actually doing banking and not just posing since he's in shorts and a ball cap and not some generic suit. Do these people know their likenesses are being used in Korea? On blinds?! Also, what's the deal with the picture of a huge, half filled church? The only way I figured out that it was a church was from the hymn lyrics on an overhead projector in the image. There's no context!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1186 on: September 02, 2016, 09:45:12 AM »
Who are these people all over my blinds in my English classroom? I would suspect just stock photography, but there's a big ol' Toronto Dominion (a real Canadian bank) logo next to that guy who really looks like he's actually doing banking and not just posing since he's in shorts and a ball cap and not some generic suit. Do these people know their likenesses are being used in Korea? On blinds?! Also, what's the deal with the picture of a huge, half filled church? The only way I figured out that it was a church was from the hymn lyrics on an overhead projector in the image. There's no context!

I need a pic  ;D

Please.

Offline nelsonr22

• Waygookin
« Reply #1187 on: September 02, 2016, 09:54:44 AM »

I've got a circa 1990 Canadian Ace Hardware store wall scroll in one of my classrooms.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1188 on: September 02, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
I need a pic  ;D

Please.

It's actually not at my Friday school. My Friday school is instead host to this gem:

I'll see what I can do on Monday about a pic of the TD.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1189 on: September 02, 2016, 12:12:12 PM »
I need a pic  ;D

Please.

It's actually not at my Friday school. My Friday school is instead host to this gem:

[Photo of delicious, overpriced foods]

Man, that photo would make those before-lunch classes torturous to teach!
I want steak!  :cry:

Offline lazerbullet

• Veteran
  • Welcome to ghost time
« Reply #1190 on: September 02, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »
I need a pic  ;D

Please.

Wait a minute, those pictures aren't like those words!

My school just has pictures of Harvard Uni on their blinds. Very scholarly.

Offline tomoconnor89

• Adventurer
« Reply #1191 on: September 02, 2016, 01:33:36 PM »
My favourite blind. Can you comprehend that, Jack?

Offline nelsonr22

• Waygookin
« Reply #1192 on: September 02, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »

I will give you money to acquire this treasure for my private collection.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1193 on: September 02, 2016, 02:51:53 PM »
That fact that this exists... somebody had to be trolling.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1194 on: September 02, 2016, 03:16:26 PM »

Sounds like I have similar(ish) blinds. Most of them take place at popular attractions such as THE STREET and THE BANK around 25 years ago but my favorite is a hospital scene with a sick child, her mother, and the doctor leaning over the bed with text that says, "WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU" printed over it.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #1195 on: September 03, 2016, 07:48:18 PM »
Just bought a car 2 weeks ago and I expected it to be interesting driving here, but Wow!! I was an idiot! Every day I see a driver do something that leaves me a little stunned at their numb-nutted audaciousness. What makes it worse is that most days I'm only driving 15min to work and back.

On the plus side, Korea still has the power to surprise...

A drive that would take 5 to 7 minutes back home took me almost 25 minutes.  Folks drive too slow, including in the fast lane, then slam on their brakes and take forever to slowly turn holding up all the cars behind them and use no blinker.  Then you're at a red light and the cars just sit there and wait for the end of the world and then slowly slowly start driving making many of the cars behind them miss the light.  Guess I'm kind of numb to it, but a lot of people here drive like ass. 

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #1196 on: September 06, 2016, 07:43:34 AM »

I know what you mean. I have one blind that is a map of the world which actually comes in handy, then 3 random blinds of random images. The one over my desk is of "professions" such as "aviator & stewardess" and "office worker" with stock photos. Then the other two are random places like an airport and lake with the ship "Endeavor" on it.

I also have random quotes around my room like: "Impossible? I'm possible!" and "Dream is right in front of you."

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1197 on: September 06, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »
We got a new principal this semester and today she wants to talk to me because she's "worried about my life in Korea." I assume this just means she's concerned for my general welfare and wants to get to know me because she's new. Then my boss told me she wants to visit my house, but to just tell her "no really it's okay, you don't have to!" in order to avoid that because she knows it's uncomfortable.

We'll see how this goes lol

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1198 on: September 06, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
That doesn't sound fun at all.

It's incredibly intrusive.

Good luck in getting out of it.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1199 on: September 06, 2016, 11:43:05 AM »
I love it when I ask a Korean teacher what we're eating (like a specific thing, not the whole lunch meal obv) and a whole bunch of them look around bewildered and can't answer. hahahaha

You've been eating it for the last 10 mins and you have no idea what you're putting in your mouth????  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

It was 우엉튀김조림 FYI