October 17, 2018, 09:15:43 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1119694 times)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8240 on: May 29, 2018, 07:50:00 AM »
I'm glad it's not just me! Do you ever feel like you're being gas-lit by an entire country?
Totally.
I'm now not entirely certain whether or not Italy actually invented the pizza:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLA6Bk_ivs)
...or that the Wright Brothers invented the first aeroplane capable of self-sustaining flight:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nX_g0I1Pyk)
... or even if I can speak English properly:
("No kyndo teacher, it's pronounced 아-이-스-크-림!"

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8241 on: May 29, 2018, 08:01:09 AM »
I AM BUSY. YOU CAN SEE ME WORKING  >:(

I'm sure this isn't just a Korean thing but it's making me annoyed how people just assume they're entitled to your time. Last year when I was home sick with a cold and laryngitis somebody banged on my front door for so long and so loudly I assumed it was an emergency. Nope, just 2 ajummas who wanted me to join their cult (and to ask me if I was Russian  :undecided: ) How often are people banging on my front door when I'm not home?

I think this goes along with the Korean expectation of always being flexible (which is still VERY annoying). When something comes up, like I need to make an important visit to the bank or get important documents, my co-teacher will insist we do it immediately after she's just told me about it. These are the types of things that take hours mind you, and will take a huge chunk out of the remaining day after school. Nevermind asking "Are you busy?" or "Do you have any plans today?"

As a person who likes to know things ahead of time and be prepared, it's extremely frustrating.

it's related to narcissim. not respecting other's time and boundaries. i think i wrote a long post on here a while back about how a ton of stuff in korean society can easily be explained by narcissim. edit~ here it is: http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=112388.msg745549#msg745549

as an aside, i've also mentioned before i've moved to china. when i had to open my bank account here, i got asked at what time and on what day i wanted to do it. the person who came with to help me organized their schedule around mine.

That post was eye-opening, and not surprising at the same time.
The World Ends With You

donovan

« Reply #8242 on: May 29, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
I'm glad it's not just me! Do you ever feel like you're being gas-lit by an entire country?
Totally.
...or that the Wright Brothers invented the first aeroplane capable of self-sustaining flight:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nX_g0I1Pyk)
... or even if I can speak English properly:
("No kyndo teacher, it's pronounced 아-이-스-크-림!"

Can I get some milk for my coffee?

Not possible.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8243 on: May 29, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »

We think this was the first bread stick promotion.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8244 on: May 29, 2018, 09:54:20 AM »
We think this was the first bread stick promotion.
But didn't you know? The very first promotion of all time was Korean! I mean, why else did they beat the Gutenberg printing press by 50 years? (which makes the Jikji printer the most important invention of all time to date, by the way)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVDsKRb9WPA

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8245 on: May 29, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »

I'm sure this isn't just a Korean thing but it's making me annoyed how people just assume they're entitled to your time. Last year when I was home sick with a cold and laryngitis somebody banged on my front door for so long and so loudly I assumed it was an emergency. Nope, just 2 ajummas who wanted me to join their cult (and to ask me if I was Russian  :undecided: ) How often are people banging on my front door when I'm not home?

I think this goes along with the Korean expectation of always being flexible (which is still VERY annoying). When something comes up, like I need to make an important visit to the bank or get important documents, my co-teacher will insist we do it immediately after she's just told me about it. These are the types of things that take hours mind you, and will take a huge chunk out of the remaining day after school. Nevermind asking "Are you busy?" or "Do you have any plans today?"

As a person who likes to know things ahead of time and be prepared, it's extremely frustrating.

it's related to narcissim. not respecting other's time and boundaries. i think i wrote a long post on here a while back about how a ton of stuff in korean society can easily be explained by narcissim. edit~ here it is: http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=112388.msg745549#msg745549

as an aside, i've also mentioned before i've moved to china. when i had to open my bank account here, i got asked at what time and on what day i wanted to do it. the person who came with to help me organized their schedule around mine.

That post was eye-opening, and not surprising at the same time.

I second that.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8246 on: May 30, 2018, 08:02:50 AM »
I'm getting increasingly impatient and testy these days, but like internally.

I think it's probably because I'm leaving or shits been building for 4 years but anyway. It's just petty stuff too but it just grinds on me.

As an example, one teacher just came in to the office looking for 6 dice.

The conversation went like this. In Korean obvs.

Teacher A: Good morning everyone. I need some dice. Do you have them in here?

Teacher B: Oh teacher I will help you!

Teacher C: I will help you too!

Teacher B: Here are dice.

Teacher C: Yes we have dice.

Teacher B: How many do you need?
If you need more than this we can get more
?

Teacher C: Here are some unopened dice.

Teacher A: I need 6.

Teacher B: Oh there are more in here? Do you want to take more?

Teacher A: I only need 6

Teacher B: Okay then. Well here is the bag but there are more inside.

Teacher C: Trying to grab the bag I can take them out for you.

Teacher A: No it's okay I'll take it. Thank you everyone.

Me: screaming internally.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8247 on: May 30, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »

I think it's probably because I'm leaving or shits been building for 4 years but anyway. It's just petty stuff too but it just grinds on me.

?

honestly, this is one thing that really annoys me. i think it is a korean thing. my wife does this too.

wife: are these socks ok?

me: yes

wife: do you like them?

me: yes

wife: so i should get them?

me: ...yes

wife: should i buy them then?

me: YES FFS

wife: no need to get annoyed at me

me: dsfkjhajrehguoqy245ASDR4D6T5R3Q

Offline mulesake

• Newgookin
« Reply #8248 on: May 30, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
are you guys in Public schools or hakwons?
I want to teach In korea eventually, but those seem like the worst days haha.

I was planning on doing in with EPIK, and if public schools are like that, that seems unfortunate.

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #8249 on: May 30, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
Finally get my life in Korea together, and I'm in a happy place. And my life back home starts falling apart. Now I might have to quit my contract early to go home, meaning a long-distance relationship for the foreseeable future, and pretty much no luck finding a job in Korea should I be able to return later since I'm in a public school. Sometimes I just feel really defeated.

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8250 on: May 30, 2018, 11:55:36 AM »

It's either over-excessive niceness, or unnecessary childish pettiness!
The World Ends With You

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8251 on: May 30, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »

?

Tomorow's lesson plan: DICE GAMES

Tomorrow's preparation: As in the office to borrow dice... If they find 6 dice, tell them you need 7!

I use dice sometimes. 

Add an extra element to lessons by writing 6 grammar tenses on the board, and they roll a dice and have to use that grammar to make a sentence using whatever vocab they have learnt that day. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:59:30 AM by sligo »

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8252 on: May 30, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
Is it really necessary to shrink wrap every 2000 won notebook in the stationery store, when many of them don't have the line structure displayed at the back? Am I supposed to guess the layout?

A million notebooks and it's still a challenge to find a notebook that's lined (without any other nonsense), ring bound and no trite "go live a happy dream" and pictures of Paris or some crap.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8253 on: May 30, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »
But how will you be inspired without a picture of Paris/ Audrey Hepburn/ Marilyn Monroe?

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8254 on: May 30, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »

It's either over-excessive niceness, or unnecessary childish pettiness!

It's just the over excessive everything.

A 5 minute conversation with lots of back and forth and faffing and fussing for a bag of dice that the teacher could have grabbed off the shelf herself.

Same kind of thing happens when I try to take the plastic recycling out myself. A huge song and dance about helping me and 10 female teachers crowded around the box of super lightweight plastic so we can "carry it together".

I get the reasons for it, and I know what's behind it all and it isn't bad. Just too much now after I've been listening to it for years haha. 

Online JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8255 on: May 30, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »
But how will you be inspired without a picture of Paris/ Audrey Hepburn/ Marilyn Monroe?

I don't understand the obsessions with Paris, Alice in Wonderland, etc. You'd think they'd be teaching French in the schools instead.
The World Ends With You

donovan

« Reply #8256 on: May 30, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »

?

Me: Screams (externally). Slaps the dice out of teacher A's hands and kicks them as they scatter about the office. Grabs the remaining dice off the shelf and chucks them out the (closed) window. Grabs the entire shelf and with all her might slams it to the ground, pinning teachers B and C to the floor beneath, being too paralyzed with shocked to move out of the way. Then shouts, "WILL ANYBODY HELP ME FIND SOME DICE?! I COULD REALLY USE SOME HELP WITH THESE DICE RIGHT NOW!

Other Teachers: Stare blankly at Penny in horror as she stands panting heavily with a look of rage on her face but staring deep into space. Teacher A cautiously reaches for the nearest phone without taking her eyes off Penny as Teachers B and C's moans begin to fill the otherwise silent room.

Don't you think you might be overreacting?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:01:44 PM by donovan »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8257 on: May 30, 2018, 01:31:25 PM »
Me: Screams (externally). Slaps the dice out of teacher A's hands and kicks them as they scatter about the office. Grabs the remaining dice off the shelf and chucks them out the (closed) window. Grabs the entire shelf and with all her might slams it to the ground, pinning teachers B and C to the floor beneath, being too paralyzed with shocked to move out of the way. Then shouts, "WILL ANYBODY HELP ME FIND SOME DICE?! I COULD REALLY USE SOME HELP WITH THESE DICE RIGHT NOW!
Other Teachers: Stare blankly at Pennypie in horror as she stands panting heavily with a look of rage on her face but staring deep into space. Teacher A cautiously reaches for the nearest phone without taking her eyes off Penny as Teachers B and C's moans begin to fill the otherwise silent room.

And that was on a Tuesday. You should see her on Mondays.  :huh:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:33:30 PM by kyndo »

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8258 on: May 30, 2018, 01:33:55 PM »
Other Teachers: Stare blankly at Pennypie in horror as she stands panting heavily with a look of rage on her face but staring deep into space. Teacher A cautiously reaches for the nearest phone without taking her eyes off Penny as Teachers B and C's moans begin to fill the otherwise silent room.

And that was on a Tuesday. You should see her on Mondays.  :huh:

How did you get that gif of me?

:laugh: :laugh:

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8259 on: May 30, 2018, 08:16:01 PM »

we're moving out in a couple of months. the real estate agent decided it was appropriate, at 8pm, without absolutely any warning, to phone my wife and say 'we are outside. open the door right now so we can show some people the apartment"

err, what? how could anybody possibly think this is acceptable behaviour?