August 17, 2018, 09:36:39 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1057476 times)

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8240 on: May 28, 2018, 03:10:35 PM »
I AM BUSY. YOU CAN SEE ME WORKING  >:(

I'm sure this isn't just a Korean thing but it's making me annoyed how people just assume they're entitled to your time. Last year when I was home sick with a cold and laryngitis somebody banged on my front door for so long and so loudly I assumed it was an emergency. Nope, just 2 ajummas who wanted me to join their cult (and to ask me if I was Russian  :undecided: ) How often are people banging on my front door when I'm not home?

I think this goes along with the Korean expectation of always being flexible (which is still VERY annoying). When something comes up, like I need to make an important visit to the bank or get important documents, my co-teacher will insist we do it immediately after she's just told me about it. These are the types of things that take hours mind you, and will take a huge chunk out of the remaining day after school. Nevermind asking "Are you busy?" or "Do you have any plans today?"

As a person who likes to know things ahead of time and be prepared, it's extremely frustrating.
The World Ends With You

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8241 on: May 28, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
I'm glad it's not just me! Do you ever feel like you're being gas-lit by an entire country?

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8242 on: May 29, 2018, 12:08:01 AM »

I'm sure this isn't just a Korean thing but it's making me annoyed how people just assume they're entitled to your time. Last year when I was home sick with a cold and laryngitis somebody banged on my front door for so long and so loudly I assumed it was an emergency. Nope, just 2 ajummas who wanted me to join their cult (and to ask me if I was Russian  :undecided: ) How often are people banging on my front door when I'm not home?

I think this goes along with the Korean expectation of always being flexible (which is still VERY annoying). When something comes up, like I need to make an important visit to the bank or get important documents, my co-teacher will insist we do it immediately after she's just told me about it. These are the types of things that take hours mind you, and will take a huge chunk out of the remaining day after school. Nevermind asking "Are you busy?" or "Do you have any plans today?"

As a person who likes to know things ahead of time and be prepared, it's extremely frustrating.

it's related to narcissim. not respecting other's time and boundaries. i think i wrote a long post on here a while back about how a ton of stuff in korean society can easily be explained by narcissim. edit~ here it is: http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=112388.msg745549#msg745549

as an aside, i've also mentioned before i've moved to china. when i had to open my bank account here, i got asked at what time and on what day i wanted to do it. the person who came with to help me organized their schedule around mine.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:15:02 AM by kobayashi »

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8243 on: May 29, 2018, 12:19:28 AM »
I really have no idea what I did to deserve being disrespected constantly by these kids.

you weren't born a korean. sorry.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8244 on: May 29, 2018, 07:50:00 AM »
I'm glad it's not just me! Do you ever feel like you're being gas-lit by an entire country?
Totally.
I'm now not entirely certain whether or not Italy actually invented the pizza:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLA6Bk_ivs)
...or that the Wright Brothers invented the first aeroplane capable of self-sustaining flight:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nX_g0I1Pyk)
... or even if I can speak English properly:
("No kyndo teacher, it's pronounced 아-이-스-크-림!"

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8245 on: May 29, 2018, 08:01:09 AM »

it's related to narcissim. not respecting other's time and boundaries. i think i wrote a long post on here a while back about how a ton of stuff in korean society can easily be explained by narcissim. edit~ here it is: http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=112388.msg745549#msg745549

as an aside, i've also mentioned before i've moved to china. when i had to open my bank account here, i got asked at what time and on what day i wanted to do it. the person who came with to help me organized their schedule around mine.

That post was eye-opening, and not surprising at the same time.
The World Ends With You

donovan

« Reply #8246 on: May 29, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
Totally.
...or that the Wright Brothers invented the first aeroplane capable of self-sustaining flight:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nX_g0I1Pyk)
... or even if I can speak English properly:
("No kyndo teacher, it's pronounced 아-이-스-크-림!"

Can I get some milk for my coffee?

Not possible.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #8247 on: May 29, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »

We think this was the first bread stick promotion.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #8248 on: May 29, 2018, 09:54:20 AM »
We think this was the first bread stick promotion.
But didn't you know? The very first promotion of all time was Korean! I mean, why else did they beat the Gutenberg printing press by 50 years? (which makes the Jikji printer the most important invention of all time to date, by the way)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVDsKRb9WPA

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8249 on: May 29, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »

That post was eye-opening, and not surprising at the same time.

I second that.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8250 on: May 30, 2018, 08:02:50 AM »
I'm getting increasingly impatient and testy these days, but like internally.

I think it's probably because I'm leaving or shits been building for 4 years but anyway. It's just petty stuff too but it just grinds on me.

As an example, one teacher just came in to the office looking for 6 dice.

The conversation went like this. In Korean obvs.

Teacher A: Good morning everyone. I need some dice. Do you have them in here?

Teacher B: Oh teacher I will help you!

Teacher C: I will help you too!

Teacher B: Here are dice.

Teacher C: Yes we have dice.

Teacher B: How many do you need?
If you need more than this we can get more
?

Teacher C: Here are some unopened dice.

Teacher A: I need 6.

Teacher B: Oh there are more in here? Do you want to take more?

Teacher A: I only need 6

Teacher B: Okay then. Well here is the bag but there are more inside.

Teacher C: Trying to grab the bag I can take them out for you.

Teacher A: No it's okay I'll take it. Thank you everyone.

Me: screaming internally.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8251 on: May 30, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »

I think it's probably because I'm leaving or shits been building for 4 years but anyway. It's just petty stuff too but it just grinds on me.

?

honestly, this is one thing that really annoys me. i think it is a korean thing. my wife does this too.

wife: are these socks ok?

me: yes

wife: do you like them?

me: yes

wife: so i should get them?

me: ...yes

wife: should i buy them then?

me: YES FFS

wife: no need to get annoyed at me

me: dsfkjhajrehguoqy245ASDR4D6T5R3Q

Offline mulesake

• Newgookin
« Reply #8252 on: May 30, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
are you guys in Public schools or hakwons?
I want to teach In korea eventually, but those seem like the worst days haha.

I was planning on doing in with EPIK, and if public schools are like that, that seems unfortunate.

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #8253 on: May 30, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
Finally get my life in Korea together, and I'm in a happy place. And my life back home starts falling apart. Now I might have to quit my contract early to go home, meaning a long-distance relationship for the foreseeable future, and pretty much no luck finding a job in Korea should I be able to return later since I'm in a public school. Sometimes I just feel really defeated.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8254 on: May 30, 2018, 11:55:36 AM »

It's either over-excessive niceness, or unnecessary childish pettiness!
The World Ends With You

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8255 on: May 30, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »

?

Tomorow's lesson plan: DICE GAMES

Tomorrow's preparation: As in the office to borrow dice... If they find 6 dice, tell them you need 7!

I use dice sometimes. 

Add an extra element to lessons by writing 6 grammar tenses on the board, and they roll a dice and have to use that grammar to make a sentence using whatever vocab they have learnt that day. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:59:30 AM by sligo »

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8256 on: May 30, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
Is it really necessary to shrink wrap every 2000 won notebook in the stationery store, when many of them don't have the line structure displayed at the back? Am I supposed to guess the layout?

A million notebooks and it's still a challenge to find a notebook that's lined (without any other nonsense), ring bound and no trite "go live a happy dream" and pictures of Paris or some crap.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8257 on: May 30, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »
But how will you be inspired without a picture of Paris/ Audrey Hepburn/ Marilyn Monroe?

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8258 on: May 30, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »

It's either over-excessive niceness, or unnecessary childish pettiness!

It's just the over excessive everything.

A 5 minute conversation with lots of back and forth and faffing and fussing for a bag of dice that the teacher could have grabbed off the shelf herself.

Same kind of thing happens when I try to take the plastic recycling out myself. A huge song and dance about helping me and 10 female teachers crowded around the box of super lightweight plastic so we can "carry it together".

I get the reasons for it, and I know what's behind it all and it isn't bad. Just too much now after I've been listening to it for years haha. 

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8259 on: May 30, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »
But how will you be inspired without a picture of Paris/ Audrey Hepburn/ Marilyn Monroe?

I don't understand the obsessions with Paris, Alice in Wonderland, etc. You'd think they'd be teaching French in the schools instead.
The World Ends With You