August 18, 2018, 04:25:56 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1057761 times)

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #8220 on: May 25, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
Being made to wear cheap, uncomfortable, industrial-smelling t-shirts for English camp.

They're pointless and a waste of resources. And yet some places still insist on them because **** you, that's why.

Same.... and being the big, western guy who can't wear Korean sizes.... it always turns out interesting.  :rolleyes:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8221 on: May 25, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »
Being made to wear cheap, uncomfortable, industrial-smelling t-shirts for English camp.

They're pointless and a waste of resources. And yet some places still insist on them because **** you, that's why.

Same.... and being the big, western guy who can't wear Korean sizes.... it always turns out interesting.  :rolleyes:

Knew a guy who was well over 6 feet tall, had a large build... and the biggest size they could get him was 110. xD He got exempt from wearing the stupid shirt.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8222 on: May 25, 2018, 01:08:50 PM »

Knew a guy who was well over 6 feet tall, had a large build... and the biggest size they could get him was 110. xD He got exempt from wearing the stupid shirt.

Excellent reason to bulk up!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8223 on: May 25, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »

Excellent reason to bulk up!

#lifegoals

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8224 on: May 25, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »

Just refuse. What are they really going to do about it?

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8225 on: May 25, 2018, 01:24:08 PM »
*Two females students (who are notorious at this school) become so disruptive that the class next door takes notice as well*

:-* Coteacher: I don't know why they're like this.
 :lipsrsealed: Me: There's no proper punishment.
 :-* Coteacher: I just don't understand.

:rolleyes:
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8226 on: May 25, 2018, 01:25:59 PM »

Outright refusal can lead to drama, so I don't refuse this kind of stuff.

But I do just "forget" where I put the shirt after day 1.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8227 on: May 25, 2018, 03:09:38 PM »

Outright refusal can lead to drama, so I don't refuse this kind of stuff.

But I do just "forget" where I put the shirt after day 1.

Don't overestimate the wrath of your co-workers.

6yrs of blank refusals to name tags, t-shirts and other degrading BS and I'm still here.
Blank refusal seems to leave people confused and mildly dumbstruck. By the time they're about to protest, I've usually walked away and they seem reluctant to pursue the issue... it's actually kind of amusing.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #8228 on: May 28, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »
So last year my school had a major problem with students smoking on campus, which they've effectively tackled this year, and the number of incidences have dropped dramatically.

Coincidentally, the kids are now all chewing gum. And they're spitting it out ****** everywhere. It's like trying to walk through a minefield, now.

donovan

« Reply #8229 on: May 28, 2018, 08:28:25 AM »
So last year my school had a major problem with students smoking on campus, which they've effectively tackled this year, and the number of incidences have dropped dramatically.

Coincidentally, the kids are now all chewing gum. And they're spitting it out ****** everywhere. It's like trying to walk through a minefield, now.

Coincidence...?

donovan

« Reply #8230 on: May 28, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
6yrs of blank refusals to name tags, t-shirts and other degrading BS and I'm still here.
Blank refusal seems to leave people confused and mildly dumbstruck. By the time they're about to protest, I've usually walked away and they seem reluctant to pursue the issue... it's actually kind of amusing.

nametags prevent mass killings

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #8231 on: May 28, 2018, 08:48:34 AM »
We have name tags and mine says I'm a scholarship student so my younger kids don't call me "teacher" anymore. It's always a super mocking tone when they say "장학생" so I just stopped wearing my tag altogether. Nobody said anything to me about it so I guess refusal does work lol

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8232 on: May 28, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »
I was given a name tag a few weeks ago (after being the only one to not receive one from the beginning of the semester). I wore it for one day, forgot about it and haven't worn it since. Nobody has said anything to me about it either.
The World Ends With You

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8233 on: May 28, 2018, 10:47:19 AM »
Switching between a Windows and Mac, using the same monitor and (Apple) keyboard means I get {Ctrl} and {Command} right less that 50% of the time.

I need to get the printer drivers set up on my work laptop!

Offline Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #8234 on: May 28, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
I really don't know how much more of this I can take. Took  Friday off for bed rest, came back today feeling a little bit better knowing that I had to come prep my materials and clean my classroom for my open class tomorrow, and as I'm cleaning two boys just frisbee the bathroom sign into my room and throw a bloody tissue in my room too. They actually broke the sign off of the wall to hurl it into my classroom. Went to go see what happened and just see them taking off down the hall. There's no CCTV and I have no clue who they were.

I really have no idea what I did to deserve being disrespected constantly by these kids. If I knew what I did and I knew I deserved it I could handle it but I can't think of anything I've done to anybody.

donovan

« Reply #8235 on: May 28, 2018, 12:41:19 PM »
I really don't know how much more of this I can take. Took  Friday off for bed rest, came back today feeling a little bit better knowing that I had to come prep my materials and clean my classroom for my open class tomorrow, and as I'm cleaning two boys just frisbee the bathroom sign into my room and throw a bloody tissue in my room too. They actually broke the sign off of the wall to hurl it into my classroom. Went to go see what happened and just see them taking off down the hall. There's no CCTV and I have no clue who they were.

I really have no idea what I did to deserve being disrespected constantly by these kids. If I knew what I did and I knew I deserved it I could handle it but I can't think of anything I've done to anybody.

You really can't think of anything you've done to deserve this?

We have name tags and mine says I'm a scholarship student...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you don't mind me making light of your situation. It sounds terrible and I hope things somehow turn around for you.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8236 on: May 28, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »

Did you have that meeting yet?

Just stay strong. Keep doing your job and try not to let it get to you too much mentally, they are kids so yeah they are being rude and it's unacceptable  but it usually isn't personally against you. It's likely they just hate teachers/english and/or are playing up.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:48:12 PM by Pennypie »

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8237 on: May 28, 2018, 12:56:32 PM »

I don't know you or your situation so I'm just spitballing.

If you honestly haven't done anything to offend, you've become part of Korea's national sport, bullying.
Korea has a massive problem with bullying, with kids and adults.
If you're seen as different, meek and weak in some way, you're walking around with a massive bull's-eye on your head.

You seem to have a lot of issues at your workplace, just request a transfer for the next semester.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8238 on: May 28, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »

I'm sure it's nothing personal against you; these kids do these things to anybody who they think they can get away with. Don't think of it is as you doing something wrong (it's the society doing wrong by everyone else here). Keep your chin up, we're rooting for you!
The World Ends With You

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8239 on: May 28, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
Has anybody else got a notice from the folks at Korean statistics (I forget their official name) wanting to do a voluntary interview about various aspects of being an immigrant in Korea? I received a letter by post with all the information outlined in it (with 100% correct English! Shocked the Hell out of me). I was on the side of doing the interview but now I'm less inclined. The individual pursuing me for an interviewer turned up, without warning, at a bad time (I was just about to get in the shower after exercising) then proceeded to bang on my door for ages like she was heading a SWAT raid. Pretty annoying but eventually she left a card on the doorknob with her details. She won't stop calling (I think... spam calls are a problem ever since I joined a few Korean shopping websites) and she just rang the head of English at my school. Said teacher then comes to my classroom to give me her number (I have it already) and tell me I must ring her. After standing and staring at me I realize she means right now so I politely say 'no' (cue look of shock and possibly outrage). I AM BUSY. YOU CAN SEE ME WORKING  >:(

I'm sure this isn't just a Korean thing but it's making me annoyed how people just assume they're entitled to your time. Last year when I was home sick with a cold and laryngitis somebody banged on my front door for so long and so loudly I assumed it was an emergency. Nope, just 2 ajummas who wanted me to join their cult (and to ask me if I was Russian  :undecided: ) How often are people banging on my front door when I'm not home?

Last part of the rant: text messaging exists. Doesn't nobody remember? I'd message this lady saying I'm not interested but I'm pretty sure it'll be followed immediately by a phone call and then demands that I justify why I'm not interested in being interviewed. OR perhaps I'm being too pessimistic.

Tl;Dr: needy and demanding strangers are annoying.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:57:09 PM by robin_teacher »