August 17, 2018, 07:11:11 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1056573 times)

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7380 on: November 30, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
I'll add that if you ONLY use one airline ever, then sure, a sight that compares prices on available flights won't be of any help to you, obviously.
Exactly, plus all the things I mentioned in my initial response.

But I was initially responding to your question of why people doing straight booking would us a 3rd party site rather than going through an airline. Not everyone starts with an airline in mind. In your case, there'd be no point. For people who don't care and are just looking for the cheapest ticket, there is a point.
When they use the third party site, are they able to know their ticketing class, like Q, Y, S, V etc. before they purchase?

Every ticketing class has a different fare price along with different restrictions regarding stopovers, mileage, etc.

I could buy a non-refundable, no date change permitted, 75% mileage ticket for dirt, but...

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7381 on: November 30, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »
In regards to Koreans and agents and tour companies...
These companies hand hold Koreans. It's partly related to the level of service that Koreans expect and partly related to the the fact that many Koreans that use them (not all) are not comfortable using English. These companies write and plan EVERYTHING out for them in Korean.
I was standing in line at ICN to check in and this Hana Tours guide was meeting several clients at once, not one big group. He was there with their all documents in plastic pouches, which contained their itineraries, destination country information, detailed hotel information, etc. I watched at these people had everything explained to them down to every detail. I listened to them ask questions that would seem to be easy to find the answers to on their own, but they instead rely completely on the agency for everything. 
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #7382 on: December 01, 2017, 07:20:43 AM »
In regards to Koreans and agents and tour companies...
These companies hand hold Koreans. It's partly related to the level of service that Koreans expect and partly related to the the fact that many Koreans that use them (not all) are not comfortable using English. These companies write and plan EVERYTHING out for them in Korean.
I was standing in line at ICN to check in and this Hana Tours guide was meeting several clients at once, not one big group. He was there with their all documents in plastic pouches, which contained their itineraries, destination country information, detailed hotel information, etc. I watched at these people had everything explained to them down to every detail. I listened to them ask questions that would seem to be easy to find the answers to on their own, but they instead rely completely on the agency for everything.

That's kind of what I mentioned further up about my father-in-law.  He has to drive two hours to Incheon airport when his customers are leaving to fill them in on all the details and make sure everything is in order for them as part of the service.  Sometimes he joins the group and goes with them.  He asked my now-wife to do a tour trip to Cambodia years back and she fooking hated it, because in the evening one 'customer' wanted to carry on drinking into the night and expected alcohol and became a real aggressive pain in the ass.  You couldn't pay me enough to put up with that kind of crap 

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #7383 on: December 01, 2017, 07:39:12 AM »
For those booking a straight forward routing, why not simply use the airline you are flying?

Booking online through some third party agency isn't going to be cheaper, so I don't get that...

Enlighten me ;)

(the silence is deafening)
Because the third party often has cheaper prices.

I always shop around before buying a ticket. Sometimes the airline's listed price is exactly the same as third party websites. Other times the third party website (expedia, kayak, skyscanner etc) is considerably cheaper. Yes, often the tickets bought on these sites have certain restrictions, but for most people, price is the deciding factor.

Thing is, people get sucked into these cheaper third-party sites and what they do is those sites guess the lowest price possible for that ticket and try and sell it at that.  Then send a ticket confirmation, but they haven't bought the ticket yet, hence the approaching flight date and the agency can't get the tickets for the price they promised and let the customer know the bad news.  These companies will probably have terrible or non-existent customer services as well.  I can't imagine that when checking a flight you will find a site offering it at 800 GBP less than the airline is offering it at as some site will claim. 

I've used Opodo and Expedia years ago, but find it easier just to monitor the airline's sites, which as I go to Europe revolves around Finnair, KLM, Lufthansa and BA.  I looked at the Finnair flight for this January and they have a flight to Manchester and then returning from Stockholm for 1 million won, as Finnair usually put their cheapest flights up on the weekend (not flying day, booking day).  I remember last summer vacation checking every day for 3 months and waiting for the difference between economy and business to just be 300 000 won and then book it.  Seoul to Berlin and then back from Manchester to Seoul. 

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7384 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »
Obviously, some don't have the foggiest idea of what they are talking about with regards to airline tickets.

My agent got back to me later, after I emailed my displeasure and was able to offer the lower price I was initially offered :)  so I would like to take back my rant.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7385 on: December 01, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
Obviously, some don't have the foggiest idea of what they are talking about with regards to airline tickets.

No, It's not that. They just don't care about the same things you do. You sound like my dad (also in his early 70s like you). Only use one airline, worries about airline codes etc. Most people here are a good 40-50 years younger than you and are more concerned with price.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7386 on: December 01, 2017, 12:54:10 PM »
Can we not change things for the special presentation DRASTICALLY, EVERY DAY?

:-* "The kids don't like it."

Well, F them. I never got a say in the plays we put on when I was 9 years old.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7387 on: December 01, 2017, 12:56:31 PM »

We did "Snow White."  I was the prince.

I am now being called a rapist.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7388 on: December 01, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »

Kiss of death, my man.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7389 on: December 01, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »

Kiss of death, my man.

At least it wasn't Sleeping Beauty.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7390 on: December 01, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »

Kiss of death, my man.

I was only...
[JonLovitz]
ACTING!
[/JonLovitz]

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7391 on: December 01, 2017, 03:33:33 PM »
This always happens..................

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7392 on: December 04, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
I've developed a horrible cold and feel like my brain is melting through my nose.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7393 on: December 04, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »
I have 8 lessons across 2 schools and an intense 회식 tomorrow.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7394 on: December 04, 2017, 04:12:19 PM »
I have 8 lessons across 2 schools and an intense 회식 tomorrow.
I hear that the best time to do *all* your lesson planning is  directly after a super intense 회식!  :angel:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7395 on: December 07, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »
@ Waygook.org user CO2 - my advice?

Just be chill. There's literally no reason you can't be civil to her. You seem like kind of an emotional guy, which is cool, but always good to be able to keep your feelings under control for practical purposes.

Yeah she kind of boned you with the whole breaking up with you after you moved here, but that was like, four years ago? And you were both (I'm assuming) in your early 20s when that happens, which is when lots of people do lots of unfortunate things, despite being at heart generally decent humans.

Hahaha, this made me laugh. (미국인병 made me revisit this from the Cass Thread)

I actually saw her on Halloween, she was with my mate. We talked for like 3 hours? She's alright. It was nice to see her, honestly. She apologised for crushing me and I apologised for dicking around in Canada a little longer than I should have. We're good.  :undecided:

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7396 on: December 07, 2017, 02:18:14 PM »
I would have held onto that anger a little longer. **** that. At the airport. Go **** yourself lady.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7397 on: December 07, 2017, 02:31:53 PM »
I would have held onto that anger a little longer. **** that. At the airport. Go **** yourself lady.
Hahaha, I can understand what you're saying. Call it Canadian forgiveness. I've had a good 5 years here and they wouldn't have happened without her. I'm saying this in more of a causal sense than a genuine forgive her, she's amazing sense.  :police:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7398 on: December 07, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
Hahaha, I can understand what you're saying. Call it Canadian forgiveness. I've had a good 5 years here and they wouldn't have happened without her. I'm saying this in more of a causal sense than a genuine forgive her, she's amazing sense.  :police:

Yeah, wouldja have even met hot Indo girl if not for all that? 

All good things in time, or some shite like that?  Ah, curse my romantic heart.  I need to meet more people.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7399 on: December 08, 2017, 01:27:54 PM »

Yeah, wouldja have even met hot Indo girl if not for all that? 

All good things in time, or some shite like that?  Ah, curse my romantic heart.  I need to meet more people.

Hot Indo Girl. hahaha, I guess I do call her that. No, I suppose I wouldn't. If I'd stayed in Toronto, maybe I'd be a famous actor by now.

But who knows? All I do is follow my bloody romantic heart wherever it leads me and hope for the best.  :-*