October 17, 2018, 08:32:57 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1119676 times)

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7340 on: November 29, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »
No. You aren't an accurate representation of what is happening in most schools. Or anywhere else on planet earth. You follow?

Lmao. Pecan is legitimately the best troll on the entire world wide web. Anything you throw at him he just brushes it off with a nonchalant change of direction.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7341 on: November 29, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
Where's the forum warning level gone? I need to see how safe I am to throw in a few warning worthy comments without repercussion.  :afro:
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7342 on: November 30, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »
"Sllluuurrrrpppppp. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh."

I can't listen to this guy drinking coffee all day from anymore. And why does he keep using those silly little paper cups? Get a mug already.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7343 on: November 30, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
"Assist" is a vague term that allows for open interpretation. 

NET, you should "assist" by doing everything for class so that the ever busy KET can do paperwork or take a rest. 

Though, teaching assistants back home often get experience by leading [some] classes, I think.
Yes, I agree.  Our contracts are "boilerplate", so each individual school can adjust our conditions to best meet their needs.

As long as we are working toward the same goal, which is for them to be 100% self-sufficient, it really doesn't matter what form it takes.

That said, why would the KET be doing busy work or sleeping doing your joint class?

How many hours are they teaching?  How many are you teaching in that scenario?

Is that a policy mandate unique to your district?

Last year, my co-teacher was the music teacher. She spoke no English what-so-ever. She even struggled with hello. She'd either nap at the back of the class, walk around and talk with the students in Korean, or be on her cellphone.
I had another co-teacher who would bring all her paperwork to class and do it at the back. I had to literally be on my knees begging for her to offer any assistance in the classroom, and even then, I'd only get a small amount of help - then she'd get angry at me, and yell / criticize me in front of the students.
My third co-teacher last year was pretty good. And my 4th started off really great, helped me with planning and in the class; as we got on, she started showing up late to class, and helped less, or stopped helping, with planning. She was still very good in the classroom while there though.

This year, 1 of my co-teachers is really helpful. 1 is pretty good, but doesn't show up for 1 of our 3 classes, and my 3rd is hit or miss. Some days she is really awesome in the class, others she shows up late, leaves after 3 minutes, goes to read the newspaper in the teachers office, comes back after 5 - 15 minutes, leaves again after another 2 mins or so. She is super helpful for anything not school related though.

Last year, co-teachers 2 and 3 taught a lot (they often didn't finish until 7pm (was a boarding school), the music teacher had a very small work load (less than 10 classes per week, around 13 if you include the classes with me), and my 4th had lots of classes, 6 with me, and dunno how many without me.

This year, none of my co-teachers have more than 9 classes per week, and that includes their time with me; and the biggest school I work at this year, only has 25 students.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:16:01 AM by Kayos »

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7344 on: November 30, 2017, 08:31:01 AM »
Like most of us, I've had a mix of good and bad CTs but my general feeling (that I can apply to ALL of my CTs) is that they view my classes as EXTRA work for them. 

It really makes no sense because they don't have to do any planning (100% me) or any teaching (100% me).  They just have to come to the class and chip in when needed.

And sometimes I want to scream this from the rooftops..."OUR CLASSES ARE SUBTRACTED FROM YOUR TOTAL, NOT ADDED ON!!!!!!"

What's an average amount of classes for a KET?  15?  16?  It's not 16 PLUS my classes on top of that!

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7345 on: November 30, 2017, 08:44:28 AM »
So...my school offered me renewal and a raise but then I found out most of the school knows about my request for a raise  >:( and they don't like it...suddenly, people are less friendly than before and avoid talking to me, some are even downright rude when I greet them. Yeah, so after realizing that my communications with my boss about that and reference letters was being shared with many other people, I sent a formal letter of non-renewal...just to be very clear...since apparently everything I send gets shared with the vast majority of the staff here. Ridiculous. I'm on edge about not renewing without a job waiting in the wings, but unfortunately, at this time of year that is generally how it goes.  Got some leads, but for now...the anxiety is building.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:11:40 PM by travelinpantsgirl »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7346 on: November 30, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
So...my school offered me renewal and a raise but then I found most of the school knows about my request for a raise  >:( and they don't like it...suddenly, people are less friendly than before and avoid talking to me, some are even downright rude when I greet them. Yeah, so after realizing that my communications with my boss about that and reference letters was being shared with many other people, I sent a formal letter of non-renewal...just to be very clear...since apparently everything I send gets shared with the vast majority of the staff here. Ridiculous. I on edge about not renewing without a job waiting in the wings, but unfortunately, at this time of year that is generally how it goes.  Got some leads, but for now...the anxiety is building.

I'm often surprised by the lack of business sense amongst co workers. We are at work to make money not be all happy families and keeping the boss happy by accepting the bare minimum. I've seen it many times with Koreans who stay for hours after work for half normal pay or even nothing and I say to them why don't you just go home? You aren't getting paid and you're being taken advantage of by your 'rich' employer. They say it's Korean culture and I say yeah but you don't have to be a sheep. Imagine bitching about travelinpants girl asking for a pay increase at a job where money is provided for services? Not even conceivable in the west.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:56:50 AM by AvecPommesFrites »

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #7347 on: November 30, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
I've never read this thread before and just skimmed a few pages for kicks. I was a little nostalgic for Korea several minutes ago...not any more. I have a classroom full of Einsteins compared to my years there.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7348 on: November 30, 2017, 09:21:50 AM »
Where are you now?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7349 on: November 30, 2017, 09:46:14 AM »
So...my school offered me renewal and a raise but then I found most of the school knows about my request for a raise  >:( and they don't like it...suddenly, people are less friendly than before and avoid talking to me, some are even downright rude when I greet them. Yeah, so after realizing that my communications with my boss about that and reference letters was being shared with many other people, I sent a formal letter of non-renewal...just to be very clear...since apparently everything I send gets shared with the vast majority of the staff here. Ridiculous. I on edge about not renewing without a job waiting in the wings, but unfortunately, at this time of year that is generally how it goes.  Got some leads, but for now...the anxiety is building.

I'm often surprised by the lack of business sense amongst co workers. We are at work to make money not be all happy families and keeping the boss happy by accepting the bare minimum. I've seen it many times with Koreans who stay for hours after work for half normal pay or even nothing and I say to them why don't you just go home? You aren't getting paid and you're being taken advantage of by your 'rich' employer. They say it's Korean culture and I say yeah but you don't have to be a sheep. Imagine bitching about travelinpants girl asking for a pay increase at a job where money is provided for services? Not even conceivable in the west.

Whenever I ask a Korean why they work for free and work insane hours they always tell me that if they went home early or asked for fair payment they'd be seen as "crazy."  And then some BS about how people are Korea's only natural resource so they have to work hard. Somehow that translates into not being paid for their work and staying late every night even when they have nothing to do.

I wonder if these are just stock phrases they use on foreigners or have they really been brainwashed to feel that way?

It's hard to just jump ship at 6PM

America: Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

China (The 'East') The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

I'm not defending it, I dated a Korean for 3 years and getting off at 440 and having her come home at 8 was real shitty. But, there it is. 
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7350 on: November 30, 2017, 10:10:15 AM »

Whenever I ask a Korean why they work for free and work insane hours they always tell me that if they went home early or asked for fair payment they'd be seen as "crazy."  And then some BS about how people are Korea's only natural resource so they have to work hard. Somehow that translates into not being paid for their work and staying late every night even when they have nothing to do.

I wonder if these are just stock phrases they use on foreigners or have they really been brainwashed to feel that way?

It's hard to just jump ship at 6PM

America: Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

China (The 'East') The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

I'm not defending it, I dated a Korean for 3 years and getting off at 440 and having her come home at 8 was real shitty. But, there it is.

This doesn't seem to happen so much in international companies. I was teaching a student the other day after work - at an American company. She starts at 9.30am and finishes at 6.30pm and the whole office was empty. Hence why  lots of Koreans want to work for international companies and that keeps us in the business of English teaching so I guess in a roundabout way, I'm in favour of Korean work habits. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7351 on: November 30, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
I know it's hard for just one individual to do it when the rest of them aren't... but I don't get why there isn't a general push back among the workers being taken advantage of. Some type of movement or bringing it up in politics.

RED SCARE. NORTH SYMPATHISER.

Unfortunately, this happens and it's effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_unions_in_South_Korea

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7352 on: November 30, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »
I wish Koreans would take to heart the saying,

"Never ascribe malice where ignorance will suffice."

I find sometimes I get told something is rude, and I don't get,

:lipsrsealed: Actually, Kevin, that is rude in Korea. Please don't do that. It doesn't really bother me, but just so you know.

:police: Oh, really, sorry. Thanks for telling me.

Instead, I get.

:evil: That is very rude! We don't do that in Korea! Stop doing that. Aiisshhhh Jinjja.

:police: Fking hell, I'm not allowed to put my hands in my pockets? Calm the f down.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7353 on: November 30, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
Flaking on a commitment peeves me. 

Worse still is composing some piss poor excuse that makes little sense. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7354 on: November 30, 2017, 11:40:28 AM »

?? What's the context here?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7355 on: November 30, 2017, 11:47:11 AM »

Just supposed to meet up with someone.  Who conveniently bailed last minute. 

Who needs context, man??  Hahahah

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7356 on: November 30, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »

Oh, shit, I read it as comment. I thought you were pissed at one of us! hahahaha

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7357 on: November 30, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »

Oh, shit, I read it as comment. I thought you were pissed at one of us! hahahaha

Lol nah, nothing but love for my fellow waygookins! 

Except for that one... 

This be the ranting thread, and I, with my non-sequitur comment.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7358 on: November 30, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »
Rant:  3 weeks ago I contacted my agent with flight dates, etc.

She was on vacation at the time, so a different agent prices the ticket out three different ways, as I requested, BUT tells me she will forward this on to my agent when she returns from her vacation on 11/21.

Being "polite" I waited for a week after her return to email her, as I didn't get a follow up.

NOW, the tickets have all increased (not news to me, as that is why I contacted her 3 weeks ago), so I will now be paying $400 more for my itinerary :(

I thought some of you would enjoy hearing about my unfortunate situation :)

Online bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #7359 on: November 30, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
Rant:  3 weeks ago I contacted my agent with flight dates, etc.

She was on vacation at the time, so a different agent prices the ticket out three different ways, as I requested, BUT tells me she will forward this on to my agent when she returns from her vacation on 11/21.

Being "polite" I waited for a week after her return to email her, as I didn't get a follow up.

NOW, the tickets have all increased (not news to me, as that is why I contacted her 3 weeks ago), so I will now be paying $400 more for my itinerary :(

I thought some of you would enjoy hearing about my unfortunate situation :)

Is buying tickets through an agent ever really any better than buying tickets yourself? I've never understood the need for travel agents in current times when buying tickets is so easy.

I guess it's much like going through a recruiter when looking for a new job.  Those with lots of travel experience you would never expect to do so, no?