June 23, 2018, 04:29:56 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1006093 times)

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #620 on: August 30, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
So that means I need to buy the service.  Except because my school pays for my apartment, my co-teacher told me that the school has to be the one to sign the contract.

But she said the internet service provider she contacted want a minimum contract of 3 years!  ._.  So my other option is... to move.

That's strange -- I don't know why your co-teacher told you that (the part about how your school has to sign the internet contract). I think she's mistaken -- I've lived in several school-provided apartments over the years and I was always the one who signed my internet contracts, even though my previous schools paid for my previous school-provided apartments. As for the part about the internet service provider she contacted wanting a minimum 3-year contract, unless you live in a very small rural town or something remote, there should be other options of internet companies available to choose from.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #621 on: August 30, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »
So that means I need to buy the service.  Except because my school pays for my apartment, my co-teacher told me that the school has to be the one to sign the contract.

But she said the internet service provider she contacted want a minimum contract of 3 years!  ._.  So my other option is... to move.

That's strange -- I don't know why your co-teacher told you that (the part about how your school has to sign the internet contract). I think she's mistaken -- I've lived in several school-provided apartments over the years and I was always the one who signed my internet contracts, even though my previous schools paid for my previous school-provided apartments. As for the part about the internet service provider she contacted wanting a minimum 3-year contract, unless you live in a very small rural town or something remote, there should be other options of internet companies available to choose from.

I live hella rural and while I didn't sign up for internet, I did sign up for TV and it was just a 2-year contract (which I ended up canceling anyway cause I never watch Korean TV. Cancellation fee was the remainder of one year, so least I don't have to pay a 2nd year for something I never use :P).

Surely there's gotta be other options!

Gasian

« Reply #622 on: August 31, 2016, 08:16:30 AM »

Yeah, something isn't right here. I lived hella rural last year in a school apartment, signed my own internet contract for 2 years (They did give me the option of 1 year), which I just transferred with me when I moved.... My internet has nothing to do with the school or any of my landlords.

I live hella rural and while I didn't sign up for internet, I did sign up for TV and it was just a 2-year contract (which I ended up canceling anyway cause I never watch Korean TV. Cancellation fee was the remainder of one year, so least I don't have to pay a 2nd year for something I never use :P).

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #623 on: August 31, 2016, 08:54:31 AM »

Yeah, something isn't right here. I lived hella rural last year in a school apartment, signed my own internet contract for 2 years (They did give me the option of 1 year), which I just transferred with me when I moved.... My internet has nothing to do with the school or any of my landlords.

What is the point of this post. You quoted 3 either people and wrote nothing yourself. I see posts like this sometimes. What are you people doing?

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #624 on: August 31, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »
I have only been teaching for 3 months, I literally only have 3 months experience and thats it. For the next 5 weeks I have to run 3 hour teacher training sessions where I have to teach Korean English teachers from my whole area how to teach English. WHAT THE??????????

I don't even know where to start with it to be honest. I just know I am going to feel so condescending standing infront of that class of experienced teachers telling them how I think they should teach.

Talk about being thrown in the deep end.

The stuff of nightmares.  I'd genuinely refuse to do it.  I usually bite my tongue and keep quiet about most things at my school but I'd draw the line there.

Do they know that you have no experience?  What do they expect you to tell them?   :huh:

"Teaching is a lot like an orange..."

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #625 on: August 31, 2016, 09:16:54 AM »
What is the point of this post. You quoted 3 either people and wrote nothing yourself. I see posts like this sometimes. What are you people doing?

I wondered the same thing, and so far my leading theory is it's a way of saying "me too" without actually having to type anything out. xD

Gasian

« Reply #626 on: August 31, 2016, 09:37:05 AM »

I wondered the same thing, and so far my leading theory is it's a way of saying "me too" without actually having to type anything out. xD

I didn't preview my post before posting and somehow everything landed up in a quote. My bad.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #627 on: August 31, 2016, 09:40:50 AM »
We just got my schedule ironed out yesterday, so today I was putting together my schedule for the whole semester, seeing if there was time for supplemental culture classes or not. I found out that the frickin midterm is THE LAST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER which means that I can't even finish two chapters with the students because of Chuseok. I talked about it with my boss and she told me just to finish the listening section of chapter 7 by the midterm. Ok. Can do.

Except I already know there's going to be conflict over this. She never likes how I do things and I'd finally gotten down a half-decent system, and this is going to require that I deviate from it. Initially we were going to try to cram both chapters into the three class hours I have before midterms by skipping something, and I was talking with my coteacher saying that I was afraid the boss teacher was going to get mad at me because doing three pages in one class means that there won't be much time for non-textbook activities... aka the kids will be bored. She told me to just make a powerpoint with pictures that match their interests. Except that's what I've been trying to do anyways, and I just taught with her today and I thought that I had done a good job with the whole engaging pictures bit. Especially given that 90% of the class has me with the digital textbook on the screen (as per my coteachers' instructions) I don't know how I could add anything more to the class. It seems like my materials are never good enough but no one ever gives me suggestions for how to improve them, just "do that thing you're already trying to do except you're not doing it well enough."

After one time that my boss was particularly nasty to me after I had done my best to follow her extremely vague instructions which she refused to/couldn't clarify, I decided to just not try to interpret what she was saying anymore and not worry about whether it was possible and just do whatever she said. I thought I had finally figured out a system and it would be smooth sailing this semester in comparison to the first one which was hellish, but now I'm afraid I'm going to get more of the same harsh criticism followed by non-instructions on how to improve.

I was feeling so hopeful about this semester and that I'd finally settled in.  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sounds a lot like what I get at my travel MS. Except, I'm not even allowed to know what textbook they use. I have to make all my own lessons. No matter what I do, I only get harsh criticism (during the middle of a class and in front of the other students), and get told to improve. I managed to get a lid put on that for a while, as I got told "the previous teacher done it better" I asked to see some of the previous teachers work so I could get some direction. "We don't have any." to that I just said, well, I can't improve unless you tell me where I need to improve - they aren't willing to give me direction, so I have to figure everything out on my own. I don't really hear anything about my lessons now, unless they think they are the worst thing ever; which luckily for me, hasn't happened yet.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #628 on: August 31, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
I've been here for 5 years now and I am not fluent in Korean as much as I feel I should be. I studied for a while during my 2nd and 3rd year. I got kinda sick of studying and decided I wasn't going to be here much longer but I was wrong. I did learn a lot on my own watching dramas and speaking to people, and a little big of vocab study here and there but I've recently decided to get back into study and am going to take the beginners TOPIK exam in November. The grammar sucks so much and I'm so frustrated but trying really hard. I don't want to take a class so using Talk To Me in Korean books to study on my own.  힘들어요~

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #629 on: August 31, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
I wish my coteacher would realize that “Ah” is not is an acceptable answer to any question.

Me: “Did you print the worksheet?”
Her: “Aaahhhhh.”

Me: “Which powerpoint do you think is better?”
Her: ”Aaaaahhhhhh.” *nods emphatically*

Me: “How was your weekend?”
Her: “Aaaaahhhhhhh.” *goes back to her phone*

Getting a simple answer out of her that isn’t just "Aaaahhhhh" is like pulling teeth.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #630 on: August 31, 2016, 12:12:46 PM »
My secret bathroom's MERS soap ran out today.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #631 on: August 31, 2016, 12:21:38 PM »
Soap in a bathroom..... What a novel concept!  :wink:

No soap in a bathroom is a pet peeve of mine.  Right up there with no paper towels or toilet paper.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #632 on: August 31, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
Soap in a bathroom..... What a novel concept!  :wink:

No soap in a bathroom is a pet peeve of mine.  Right up there with no paper towels or toilet paper.

My desk drawer in my office contains hand sanitizer, hand lotion, napkins, and wet wipes for exactly this issue. I suggest everyone keep a supply of the essentials and lock that drawer too.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #633 on: August 31, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »
I have only been teaching for 3 months, I literally only have 3 months experience and thats it. For the next 5 weeks I have to run 3 hour teacher training sessions where I have to teach Korean English teachers from my whole area how to teach English. WHAT THE??????????

I don't even know where to start with it to be honest. I just know I am going to feel so condescending standing infront of that class of experienced teachers telling them how I think they should teach.

Jack, at the moment it might seem daunting and pain in the ass but seriously they will probably turn out to be your favorite class you teach.  They already have a good level of English, they can read etc and also most have very funny ideas and interesting points of view.  I had teachers' classes for two years and I don't think that I ever had to 'teach' them.  Most of the time the teachers are happy to get away from school for a bit, so you act as a kind of chairman in the class.  You direct the conversation, think up the class plans.  You can teach different things, but they will enjoy discussion, learning about culture (British culture would be good for them), idioms etc.  In the first class do an introduction and some icebreakers for that class and then that is it.  Will help you get a feel for them, dominant teachers, their level etc.  You could even ask them what they want to do and then give them some ideas.  It is up to you, and from experience, they want to enjoy the class and will be willing to help you with it.  You can be open with them and tell them you are a little nervous, that is to be expected.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #634 on: August 31, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »
I've been here for 5 years now and I am not fluent in Korean as much as I feel I should be. I studied for a while during my 2nd and 3rd year. I got kinda sick of studying and decided I wasn't going to be here much longer but I was wrong. I did learn a lot on my own watching dramas and speaking to people, and a little big of vocab study here and there but I've recently decided to get back into study and am going to take the beginners TOPIK exam in November. The grammar sucks so much and I'm so frustrated but trying really hard. I don't want to take a class so using Talk To Me in Korean books to study on my own.  힘들어요~

I came here with wanting to learn Korean in mind as well. A lot of my co-teachers who speak a bit of English were encouraging me to learn Korean, and even said I could practice with them, and this is as far as I got (other than learning the random word here and there).

I opened my book, the first bit was learning: My name is is (I think it was Je *name* imnida. and What is your name? (can't remember that at all) - I go to a few of my co-teachers to let them know I have started learning and just wanted to practice that little bit with them - they were fine with it as they weren't busy. The my name bit was good. What is your name though... I struggled greatly with the pronunciation, and all I got was "You are saying it wrong! Damn I hate foreigners mocking my language!" (not exact words, but it's close enough) after getting that from a few of the teachers, I said screw learning Korean. I can say hello and thank you, that is good enough for me until I leave. (While I have only been here 4 months, I'm still deciding if I'll renew; If I do, my 2nd year will be my last, then I will move on to China or Japan - probably Japan though.

I've heard of lots of other foreigners getting the same kind of treatment to learning Korean in Korea as well. As someone who loves learning languages, Korean is the first that I have ever given up on so quickly. (Korean would have been my 6th language if I wasn't discouraged). Of the 5 I have learnt, English and Japanese are the only ones I can really use, if only a little (Japanese), the other 3 I haven't done anything with for 15 years, so have forgotten all of it :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:56:33 PM by Kayos »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #635 on: August 31, 2016, 01:00:07 PM »

Jack, at the moment it might seem daunting and pain in the ass but seriously they will probably turn out to be your favorite class you teach.  They already have a good level of English, they can read etc and also most have very funny ideas and interesting points of view.  I had teachers' classes for two years and I don't think that I ever had to 'teach' them.  Most of the time the teachers are happy to get away from school for a bit, so you act as a kind of chairman in the class.  You direct the conversation, think up the class plans.  You can teach different things, but they will enjoy discussion, learning about culture (British culture would be good for them), idioms etc.  In the first class do an introduction and some icebreakers for that class and then that is it.  Will help you get a feel for them, dominant teachers, their level etc.  You could even ask them what they want to do and then give them some ideas.  It is up to you, and from experience, they want to enjoy the class and will be willing to help you with it.  You can be open with them and tell them you are a little nervous, that is to be expected.

I know what you're saying but it's not an adult conversation class, it's a class that she will teach on "How  to teach English." I've been here 3 years and I still wouldn't want to teach that. She's been here 3 months.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #636 on: August 31, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »

I think he's being asked to run training sessions on how to teach English, rather than just teaching the teachers.

Like I said this morning I'd steer well clear of that  :huh:

EDIT:  Yea, what CO2 said above ^
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:03:33 PM by The Arm »

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #637 on: August 31, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »
I think he's being asked to run training sessions on how to teach English, rather than just teaching the teachers.

Like I said this morning I'd steer well clear of that  :huh:

EDIT:  Yea, what CO2 said above ^

I know what you're saying but it's not an adult conversation class, it's a class that she will teach on "How  to teach English." I've been here 3 years and I still wouldn't want to teach that. She's been here 3 months.

Yep, see what you're both saying.  That could be hard if it is strictly that.  When I was given the teachers' classes, it was simply 'teaching the teachers' classes.  This could be similar, depends on the scope.  At the beginning of the year, I taught the teachers different ways to teach reading to students, using prediction, visualising, inferring and summarising.  Not ways they'd heard of before, could be a start.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #638 on: August 31, 2016, 02:22:42 PM »

I came here with wanting to learn Korean in mind as well. A lot of my co-teachers who speak a bit of English were encouraging me to learn Korean, and even said I could practice with them, and this is as far as I got (other than learning the random word here and there).

I opened my book, the first bit was learning: My name is is (I think it was Je *name* imnida. and What is your name? (can't remember that at all) - I go to a few of my co-teachers to let them know I have started learning and just wanted to practice that little bit with them - they were fine with it as they weren't busy. The my name bit was good. What is your name though... I struggled greatly with the pronunciation, and all I got was "You are saying it wrong! Damn I hate foreigners mocking my language!" (not exact words, but it's close enough) after getting that from a few of the teachers, I said screw learning Korean. I can say hello and thank you, that is good enough for me until I leave. (While I have only been here 4 months, I'm still deciding if I'll renew; If I do, my 2nd year will be my last, then I will move on to China or Japan - probably Japan though.

I've heard of lots of other foreigners getting the same kind of treatment to learning Korean in Korea as well. As someone who loves learning languages, Korean is the first that I have ever given up on so quickly. (Korean would have been my 6th language if I wasn't discouraged). Of the 5 I have learnt, English and Japanese are the only ones I can really use, if only a little (Japanese), the other 3 I haven't done anything with for 15 years, so have forgotten all of it :P
I've never been mocked for speaking Korean. I've actually been told my pronunciation is pretty good. Sorry you had that experience. I would never ask my co workers to help though, personally. I joined a language exchange group and that is a little bit more comfortable for me. Maybe you should find one in your area?

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #639 on: August 31, 2016, 02:34:46 PM »

I've never been mocked for speaking Korean. I've actually been told my pronunciation is pretty good. Sorry you had that experience. I would never ask my co workers to help though, personally. I joined a language exchange group and that is a little bit more comfortable for me. Maybe you should find one in your area?

I've done the speaking Korean with co-workers thing and it's hit or miss. Some of them are really cool about it and others are complete dicks.

There is a degree of mocking that is seen as acceptable here that I haven't found elsewhere when a non-native speaks the language.

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/