August 18, 2018, 04:27:12 AM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1057761 times)

Offline Maclean

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6040 on: July 07, 2017, 10:02:51 AM »
Why can't my students, after finishing lunch, simply shake the leftovers on their tray into the compost bin then place the tray in the sink. Why must they loudly bang the metal tray against the metal bin (several times over) to remove the leftovers, then toss it noisily into the metal sink?

Like so much other noise in Korea, it's so completely unnecessary.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6041 on: July 07, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
I hate the people who leave wet tissue packs open.

Offline HabsFanInKorea

• Veteran
« Reply #6042 on: July 07, 2017, 11:30:17 AM »
Why can't my students, after finishing lunch, simply shake the leftovers on their tray into the compost bin then place the tray in the sink. Why must they loudly bang the metal tray against the metal bin (several times over) to remove the leftovers, then toss it noisily into the metal sink?

They do it to make you angry.

Offline wanderingskald

• Adventurer
« Reply #6043 on: July 07, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »
Never understood why the schools remain open for weeks after exams are finished.  Feels like a day care.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6044 on: July 07, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »

At my schools there's generally always soup or something in a bowl so before putting our trays away we put all of the leftover food into the soup bowl then just dump the soup bowl contents into the compost bin. 

Otherwise, they could just use spoons to quickly scrape the leftovers down.  They probably just enjoy the noise or are not bothered by noise and don't think about it. 

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6045 on: July 07, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »

At my schools there's generally always soup or something in a bowl so before putting our trays away we put all of the leftover food into the soup bowl then just dump the soup bowl contents into the compost bin. 

Otherwise, they could just use spoons to quickly scrape the leftovers down.  They probably just enjoy the noise or are not bothered by noise and don't think about it.

:undecided:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6046 on: July 07, 2017, 01:55:08 PM »
Something that I got strong-armed into doing is finally coming around, and, even though I'd managed to negotiate a bit so that it wasn't a completely one-sided affair, it's still put me in a foul-ass mood today. I've been trying to hide it, but apparently I'm not doing a very good job of it because people are tip-toeing around or are outright trying to avoid me right now.

Which isn't to say that my day has been peaceful, because naw, a couple of individuals keep coming in to pester me about stuff that can wait until after vacation, even though I've made it pretty ****** clear that I'm legit busy with all of the extra work that got foisted on me by them.

I also keep getting approached by concerned teachers over students' speaking test scores, and I have to keep refusing to artificially raise them. The kids earned what they got, I was already super generous with my grading. One student insisted that she answered everything perfectly and that her grade must be a mistake because there's no way she shouldn't have gotten an 'A' -- **** no, I'm not just going to raise her grade from a 'C' to an 'A' just because she says so. But I concede to a degree and offer to re-test her. It's a 1-minute speaking test, not that hard, especially if she honestly believes that she deserves an 'A'... should be pretty ****** easy for her, if that's the case. She declines the re-test, of course. Teacher is surprised, lmfao. I don't know why some  teachers have such a hard time seeing through their students' bullshit.

Maybe I just need to make my own expectations a LOT more clear at the beginning of the semester, I don't know. You'd think these kids would learn over the time I've been here already and the fact that I've never changed my grading standards and that I don't play ****** favorites. Just because I like you doesn't mean I'm going to let you slide in my class or that I'm going to grant you "lovelovebonuspoints" during the speaking exam. That's not part of my rubric, sorry. I mean, ****, the only way I can make it any easier is if I gave them a ****** script to read back at me during the speaking test. They could LITERALLY ace the exam if they JUST spent an hour or so memorizing a few things on the day of the exam. It's that basic. And it's been drilled into them from day 1.

What_the_fuck_are_these_kids_doing?

I know this isn't anything new, but good GAWD is it annoying as **** today.

Offline Maclean

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6047 on: July 07, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
I teach at a middle school. Some of the grade 3 students are taller and broader than I am. These aren't kiddies, they're young adults. At some point they should be taught that excessive and unnecessary noise is something to be curbed.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #6048 on: July 07, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »
Something that I got strong-armed into doing is finally coming around, and, even though I'd managed to negotiate a bit so that it wasn't a completely one-sided affair, it's still put me in a foul-ass mood today. I've been trying to hide it, but apparently I'm not doing a very good job of it because people are tip-toeing around or are outright trying to avoid me right now.

Which isn't to say that my day has been peaceful, because naw, a couple of individuals keep coming in to pester me about stuff that can wait until after vacation, even though I've made it pretty ****** clear that I'm legit busy with all of the extra work that got foisted on me by them.

I also keep getting approached by concerned teachers over students' speaking test scores, and I have to keep refusing to artificially raise them. The kids earned what they got, I was already super generous with my grading. One student insisted that she answered everything perfectly and that her grade must be a mistake because there's no way she shouldn't have gotten an 'A' -- **** no, I'm not just going to raise her grade from a 'C' to an 'A' just because she says so. But I concede to a degree and offer to re-test her. It's a 1-minute speaking test, not that hard, especially if she honestly believes that she deserves an 'A'... should be pretty ****** easy for her, if that's the case. She declines the re-test, of course. Teacher is surprised, lmfao. I don't know why some  teachers have such a hard time seeing through their students' bullshit.

Maybe I just need to make my own expectations a LOT more clear at the beginning of the semester, I don't know. You'd think these kids would learn over the time I've been here already and the fact that I've never changed my grading standards and that I don't play ****** favorites. Just because I like you doesn't mean I'm going to let you slide in my class or that I'm going to grant you "lovelovebonuspoints" during the speaking exam. That's not part of my rubric, sorry. I mean, ****, the only way I can make it any easier is if I gave them a ****** script to read back at me during the speaking test. They could LITERALLY ace the exam if they JUST spent an hour or so memorizing a few things on the day of the exam. It's that basic. And it's been drilled into them from day 1.

It blows my mind that I was thrown into French at the age of 5 and never complained once. I'm fluent.

These kids learn 2 sentence points every 2 weeks. And some just can't f'in get it. The speaking tests are a joke here. It's 4 sentences that are all basically the same sentence.

Go straight 1/2 blocks and turn left/right. It's nexto/between x and/or Y.

90% of my kids get perfect. Which sounds great, but shouldn't it me MORE challenging at that point?

Offline HabsFanInKorea

• Veteran
« Reply #6049 on: July 07, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »

I understand where you're coming from.  That's why I record the speaking tests.  When a student or teacher asks why they got a low score on the speaking test, I can just play the file and explain why.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6050 on: July 07, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »

It blows my mind that I was thrown into French at the age of 5 and never complained once. I'm fluent.

These kids learn 2 sentence points every 2 weeks. And some just can't f'in get it. The speaking tests are a joke here. It's 4 sentences that are all basically the same sentence.

90% of my kids get perfect. Which sounds great, but shouldn't it me MORE challenging at that point?
I agree with you that the speaking parts go painfully slow. But I think what holds them back from writing more is how they have to learn an entirely new writing system. At least with French you don't have to learn a new writing system (other than the accents). And they start the kids pretty late here. I was in Canada when they started us in grade 1 but I think it's grade 3 or 4 they start now? If you're having a mandatory second language the earlier the better. My 1s last year picked up stuff 10000000 times faster than my 3s are now. My 2s last year could sight read fairly well. The kids starting in 3rd grade at my billion schools this year struggle with painfully easy 3 word sentences.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #6051 on: July 07, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »
Mine tried to give me 4 days of vacation (they told me last week, after they've been telling me i'd get 10 this summer for the last 3 months) so my 5 re-signing days would expire. I told them straight up no but I don't actually find out for sure. Tickets are booked and I'm ready to walk if they try to dick me around :) After so much dickery this year I'm already on edge and this could be the last straw :) I've got it in writing and I signed the darn form saying when my vacation would be but apparently one of my billion schools is trying to squeeze an extra week of camp out of me...

Not on your life.  That other school can get bent.

I don't think your 5 extra renewal days expire, they say use them in the nearest holiday to the new contract date.  There is the use of 'if necessary' used in the contract.  You could take all your 'paid leave' in one go if you want to and your renewal leave at another time.  What the Office of Education want is for all holiday to be precisely identified on NEIS and on the paperwork.  The contract is a lose thing in this effect.  It most definitely doesn't expire.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6052 on: July 07, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »

Sure, but where in Canada are you from? I bet you're either from Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick or possibly Nova Scotia. Your average Albertan or British Columbian didn't become fluent from their French education because they never use the language outside of school, much like Koreans with English.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6053 on: July 07, 2017, 10:30:30 PM »
Today my main coteacher gave me a survey about my satisfaction with the school and my relationship with my coteachers. I have to give the survey back to her when I'm finished (not confidential). She asked me to complete the survey honestly.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I remember that.

My personal favorite was when an inspector came and sat down with me, my CT and the VP.

She point blank asked me how my relationship was with the school and my CT.... admittedly I liked both my CT, VP and school so it wasn't an issue but lol come on really?

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #6054 on: July 08, 2017, 09:34:33 PM »

Me too man, many decades ago.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6055 on: July 10, 2017, 08:05:11 AM »
My classes are learning pop songs this week.  Last Friday I printed out and laminated the lyrics on strips for an activity.  I took them home and cut them out.  I forgot them this morning.  It's pouring down rain, so I won't walk back to my apt. to get them.

I hate it when I do stupid things like this.  >:(

I guess it's plan B for today.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6056 on: July 10, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »

Same shit, different Monday.

This reminds me how some of my middle schoolers are still miffed anytime they have to make a group of more than four.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6057 on: July 10, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »

This reminds me how some of my middle schoolers are still miffed anytime they have to make a group of more than four.
Yes, I agree.  My 2nd graders, especially.  They had to make groups last year, too.  This is not a new concept.  Even my CoT gets on them for moving so slowly.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6058 on: July 10, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »

Yes, I agree.  My 2nd graders, especially.  They had to make groups last year, too.  This is not a new concept.  Even my CoT gets on them for moving so slowly.

Right it's as if when something veers off the "IMFINETHANKSANDYOU" script, they are utterly lost.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6059 on: July 10, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »

At my old all-boys middle school, they always acted surprised and put-off whenever I told them to get into groups of any size. Which was every week. xD

I turned it into a game by rewarding candy to the first group to get their asses in gear. Worked a charm, but turned the classroom into mayhem for a few minutes.