August 19, 2018, 05:31:48 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1059308 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #600 on: August 29, 2016, 02:18:06 PM »

Apparently the minor drop in air temperature means no more air conditioning this year.

Yeah, I was loving the weather until I realized it means teaching in an 85 degree classroom.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #601 on: August 29, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
So many hornets o.o They've built a nest outside my classroom window but even with the aircon on my coteacher insists on opening the window AND SCREEN to let in the hornets which freaks out the kids then I have to wait for the hornets to land on out blinds and roll em up super quick so the hornets are trapped (holy run on sentence batman!). I let em stay in there overnight so they die then dispose of the bug corpse the next day but its so annoying O.o

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #602 on: August 29, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »
So many hornets o.o They've built a nest outside my classroom window but even with the aircon on my coteacher insists on opening the window AND SCREEN to let in the hornets which freaks out the kids then I have to wait for the hornets to land on out blinds and roll em up super quick so the hornets are trapped (holy run on sentence batman!). I let em stay in there overnight so they die then dispose of the bug corpse the next day but its so annoying O.o

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on waygook.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #603 on: August 30, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »
Also I just talked to a friend who also renewed and her exam didn't include the anal probing, so it must just be the weird hospital I went to. 

I really don't understand what the exam is for.  The day before I went to the immigration office and got that all sorted, so who even looks at my health results?  They're being mailed to my school.
I also just had my medical test yesterday and no probing. Was worried about it since it was first mentioned... thanks to waygook.org  :P

Gasian

« Reply #604 on: August 30, 2016, 08:21:26 AM »
Also I just talked to a friend who also renewed and her exam didn't include the anal probing, so it must just be the weird hospital I went to. 

I really don't understand what the exam is for.  The day before I went to the immigration office and got that all sorted, so who even looks at my health results?  They're being mailed to my school.
I also just had my medical test yesterday and no probing. Was worried about it since it was first mentioned... thanks to waygook.org  :P

Good to know, thank you!!!

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #605 on: August 30, 2016, 08:26:24 AM »

Ouch, sorry to hear this happened to you. :(

The name of that plant is the jujube tree (called 대추 in Korean). The berries are used for herbal tea.

And as an FYI to anyone else, I could be wrong, but I think that spider is Korea's native banana spider (they are venomous to humans, but they're also extremely passive and rarely bite -- I don't think the bites are venomous enough to cause death, either, but they're supposed to hurt like hell).

Yeah, I was wondering if it was a jujube, but the leaves, and fruit were way to small, and the thorns disproportionately evil. Also, the plant looked more like a shrubbery than an actual tree.
Still, I went back and tasted a berry, and it was a jujube after all. According to my coworker, who first claimed total ignorance, the dwarf varieties of the plant can be grown closer together, and the fruit makes for better tea than the normal variety.
So anyway, good call Chinguetti:smiley:

And "Banana Spider" seems like such an undignified name. I much prefer "Golden Orb-web Spider".
Did you know that some species of this family grow large enough to catch and eat small birds and snakes? In Taiwan I've seen some that were bigger than my hand!
Beautiful colours, but not a web I want to run into during my evening jog! :huh:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:33:45 AM by kyndo »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #606 on: August 30, 2016, 09:23:13 AM »

Ah, same. I renewed, but haven't had the medical check and was getting a little worried about it now.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #607 on: August 30, 2016, 09:28:20 AM »
Yeah, I was wondering if it was a jujube, but the leaves, and fruit were way to small, and the thorns disproportionately evil. Also, the plant looked more like a shrubbery than an actual tree.
Still, I went back and tasted a berry, and it was a jujube after all. According to my coworker, who first claimed total ignorance, the dwarf varieties of the plant can be grown closer together, and the fruit makes for better tea than the normal variety.
So anyway, good call Chinguetti:smiley:

And "Banana Spider" seems like such an undignified name. I much prefer "Golden Orb-web Spider".
Did you know that some species of this family grow large enough to catch and eat small birds and snakes? In Taiwan I've seen some that were bigger than my hand!
Beautiful colours, but not a web I want to run into during my evening jog! :huh:

Yeah, I thought the plant was a little on the small side, too, but figured it was either very young or had been modified.

And "golden orb" or "banana", I touched one by accident last year. I was running my hands through some shrubs and felt something cold and rubbery, and, when I looked, there it was trying to shimmy away. *shudders* Thing looked like its body could cover half my palm.

AND I HAVEN'T RUN MY HANDS THROUGH SHRUBBERY AGAIN SINCE THEN

I don't think my brain could process touching one that's actually as big as my entire hand. Dx

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #608 on: August 30, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »

Good to know, thank you!!!

At least I managed to terrify everyone  :evil:

Offline JLCutler

• Veteran
« Reply #609 on: August 30, 2016, 10:07:51 AM »
A teacher in my office yawns constantly and he vocalizes every...single...one of them.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #610 on: August 30, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
We just got my schedule ironed out yesterday, so today I was putting together my schedule for the whole semester, seeing if there was time for supplemental culture classes or not. I found out that the frickin midterm is THE LAST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER which means that I can't even finish two chapters with the students because of Chuseok. I talked about it with my boss and she told me just to finish the listening section of chapter 7 by the midterm. Ok. Can do.

Except I already know there's going to be conflict over this. She never likes how I do things and I'd finally gotten down a half-decent system, and this is going to require that I deviate from it. Initially we were going to try to cram both chapters into the three class hours I have before midterms by skipping something, and I was talking with my coteacher saying that I was afraid the boss teacher was going to get mad at me because doing three pages in one class means that there won't be much time for non-textbook activities... aka the kids will be bored. She told me to just make a powerpoint with pictures that match their interests. Except that's what I've been trying to do anyways, and I just taught with her today and I thought that I had done a good job with the whole engaging pictures bit. Especially given that 90% of the class has me with the digital textbook on the screen (as per my coteachers' instructions) I don't know how I could add anything more to the class. It seems like my materials are never good enough but no one ever gives me suggestions for how to improve them, just "do that thing you're already trying to do except you're not doing it well enough."

After one time that my boss was particularly nasty to me after I had done my best to follow her extremely vague instructions which she refused to/couldn't clarify, I decided to just not try to interpret what she was saying anymore and not worry about whether it was possible and just do whatever she said. I thought I had finally figured out a system and it would be smooth sailing this semester in comparison to the first one which was hellish, but now I'm afraid I'm going to get more of the same harsh criticism followed by non-instructions on how to improve.

I was feeling so hopeful about this semester and that I'd finally settled in.  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline jocko6418

• Explorer
« Reply #611 on: August 30, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »
I have no internet at home T.T

When I came back from vacation, there was no connection.  It turns out that the apartment building changed owners.  The old owner was providing internet service, but the new owner doesn't want to provide it anymore. 

So that means I need to buy the service.  Except because my school pays for my apartment, my co-teacher told me that the school has to be the one to sign the contract.

But she said the internet service provider she contacted want a minimum contract of 3 years!  ._.  So my other option is... to move.

So I'm moving at the end of September, and I have nothing to do at home until then.  I live in a small town, so I've been bored out of my mind.

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #612 on: August 30, 2016, 02:39:50 PM »
I have only been teaching for 3 months, I literally only have 3 months experience and thats it. For the next 5 weeks I have to run 3 hour teacher training sessions where I have to teach Korean English teachers from my whole area how to teach English. WHAT THE??????????

I don't even know where to start with it to be honest. I just know I am going to feel so condescending standing infront of that class of experienced teachers telling them how I think they should teach.

Talk about being thrown in the deep end.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #613 on: August 30, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »
Maybe you could make it more of a discussion based/open type of forum? That way you could all learn from each other. If you're able, perhaps try being more of a facilitator

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #614 on: August 30, 2016, 02:55:09 PM »
Maybe you could make it more of a discussion based/open type of forum? That way you could all learn from each other. If you're able, perhaps try being more of a facilitator

Yeah that's exactly what im going to do. Hopefully we can all bounce some good ideas off one another and it won't be as terrible as I am predicting it to be.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #615 on: August 30, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »
My old co teacher is out on Maternity leave. She was great!

Now my new co teacher is an elderly woman who is overly strict and made me a "game" teacher. I will not survive the next 3 months with her... :cry:

Offline dmcdonald02

• Newgookin
« Reply #616 on: August 30, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »
I am SO worried about that. My current co is pregnant and will be leaving on maternity leave by the end of the year. She is a fantastic co teacher and I would be lost without her.

I'm worried that my new co will either be a strict older teacher or a brand new teacher that doesn't know what to do.

Most of all, I'm worried that I won't have a co at all :shocked:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #617 on: August 30, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »
One of co-teachers is gonna be on maternity leave next year. Hoping the new teacher will let me continue on as I have been because one of my favorite classes is at that school  :lipsrsealed:

I don't even know if my main coT is gonna be here next year or not. She has the option to apply for another year but hasn't decided yet, I guess. And I think my 3rd coT is a contract teacher cause she teaches at both my elementary schools so who knows if she'll be here next year or not.

Next spring is gonna be a year of change...

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #618 on: August 30, 2016, 03:21:53 PM »
^^^

We should start a "my co-teacher is pregnant and I am scared of the future" club.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
Seriously?! So many co teachers are going on mat leave right now... Mine leaves on Wednesday... but luckily the teacher who is taking her place is a coteacher who I've already taught with and like in general! Oh wait...wrong thread..  :smiley: