October 17, 2018, 02:14:45 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1119417 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5180 on: April 28, 2017, 10:03:10 AM »
They won't let me use the laminator at my school unsupervised, even though I know how to use it better than they do.

But I guess it makes it harder for them to blame the foreigner if/when it finally craps out (the thing is like 100 years old). Could be they're also afraid of it blowing up and injuring me... not sure if the plan is shield me with their bodies, should that happen, but whatever.

Kind of thinking about getting my own laminator to keep in my office, they've got some decent personal use ones that are far more affordable than I'd originally believed a good laminator would be.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5181 on: April 28, 2017, 10:03:39 AM »
I laminated for the first time yesterday and was feeling all  8) for figuring out another machine in Korean but somehow I fed something through and it spiraled into the machine and now someone has to come fix it because I am a dumb foreigner.  :-[

I've literally done the exact same thing. Not #based.

I'm sure if I had been wearing a tie, that would've been laminated too.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5182 on: April 28, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
I came across this after reading the laminating posts.

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #5183 on: April 28, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
So I finally got tired of not knowing my students names and faces after 8 months of trying. But I only see them once a week and they're always wearing masks so I get confused. Plus I'm horrible with that kind of things anyway. I decided to ask my CT for a student list so I can finally get a handle on this nonsense. The following is the conversation we had:

Me: Can I please have the student list for all the classes? I'd like to start paying attention to each student.
CT: I don't know... we've never done that.
Me: It would really help me keep track of the students. :undecided:
CT: That's private information.
Me: Oh, I just want the class roster that all the other teachers have, with the students names and pictures. :undecided:
CT: That's private information. Only teachers should have that.
Me: ...I am a teacher? :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes:
CT: That's private information. We've never done that.
Me: So is it not allowed?
CT: ...You don't need their names or to know what they look like to teach the lessons.
Me: I guess not, but I think it would help me teach better.
CT: That information is only for teachers.
Me: But I am a... oh never mind.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #5184 on: April 28, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
So I finally got tired of not knowing my students names and faces after 8 months of trying. But I only see them once a week and they're always wearing masks so I get confused. Plus I'm horrible with that kind of things anyway. I decided to ask my CT for a student list so I can finally get a handle on this nonsense. The following is the conversation we had:

Me: Can I please have the student list for all the classes? I'd like to start paying attention to each student.
CT: I don't know... we've never done that.
Me: It would really help me keep track of the students. :undecided:
CT: That's private information.
Me: Oh, I just want the class roster that all the other teachers have, with the students names and pictures. :undecided:
CT: That's private information. Only teachers should have that.
Me: ...I am a teacher? :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes:
CT: That's private information. We've never done that.
Me: So is it not allowed?
CT: ...You don't need their names or to know what they look like to teach the lessons.
Me: I guess not, but I think it would help me teach better.
CT: That information is only for teachers.
Me: But I am a... oh never mind.

I went through that too. The first year I asked I got the names and pictures and phone numbers with no problem. The second year someone must have taken issue with it and I couldn't get a copy. The irony was that other teachers left their copy out on their desks. Several times I witnessed 2nd and 3rd year students flipping through the first grade pictures and making fun of them. The teachers didn't have a problem with that. :rolleyes:     

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5185 on: April 28, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »
I laminated for the first time yesterday and was feeling all  8) for figuring out another machine in Korean but somehow I fed something through and it spiraled into the machine and now someone has to come fix it because I am a dumb foreigner.  :-[

Back during my hagwon daze, we didn't have an actual laminator -- we had packing tape and scissors. Basically, we would laminate cards, pictures and posters by very carefully layering packing tape over it. I became *really* good at that considering all the room decorating I did. Managed it so that each strip of tape only overlapped the previous by a few millimeters.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5186 on: April 28, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
LDEstrada,

Sorry, but you don't need the phone numbers of your students.  IMHO, that is  an odd request.

Suggestion:

Make a seating chart stencil and simply assign responsibility to each class captain for getting it filled out and updated when need be (this keeps your coteacher out of the loop).

Then you will be able to address them by their given names from then on.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5187 on: April 28, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
LDEstrada,

Sorry, but you don't need the phone numbers of your students.  IMHO, that is  an odd request.

Suggestion:

Make a seating chart stencil and simply assign responsibility to each class captain for getting it filled out and updated when need be (this keeps your coteacher out of the loop).

Then you will be able to address them by their given names from then on.

I didn't see anywhere in his post that he was requesting phone numbers....

But your idea of getting the class captain to do it is a good one.

Anyhoo, my handler at each school I teach at gave me the relevant files with photos and names for each grade so that I can call students by their names. It was not an issue at all. I also teach alone so it really helped in the beginning to identify trouble makers and problem students and discuss the issues directly with the home room teachers.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #5188 on: April 28, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »
Pecan, if you read my post you'll see that I requested the basic student list that all the teachers have that only has the students names and associated picture. No phone numbers were mentioned by me at all.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5189 on: April 28, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
The first year I asked I got the names and pictures and phone numbers with no problem.

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #5190 on: April 28, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
Pecan, if you read my post you'll see that I requested the basic student list that all the teachers have that only has the students names and associated picture. No phone numbers were mentioned by me at all.

Also, my classes don't have assigned seating. They're well behaved and don't need it. It has been made clear to me that I am only to assign seats if my students misbehave. And in the case of my school I agree. I have no trouble controlling them so assigning a seating chart would be unnecessary rule making just for the sake of rule making.  Besides, that wouldn't help nearly as much as having their school pictures, (like all the other teachers do) when it comes to being able to associate faces with names. Although I appreciate the idea.

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #5191 on: April 28, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »

That was insulimted who wrote that.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5192 on: April 28, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »
Wow,  I have never been in a classroom with "free" seating.

That would be interesting.

Best of luck.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #5193 on: April 28, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »
The first year I asked I got the names and pictures and phone numbers with no problem.

That was me. I said that. I didn't ask for the phone numbers but that is part of the document that they produce and give to all the other teachers. I suspect that is why they consider it private information.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5194 on: April 28, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »
Right.  Yes, I know that was you.

I don't see why any teacher in their right mind would be opposed to providing the names and pictures only.

As you stated, it is the phone numbers that are contained within that file that are the issue regarding privacy.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5195 on: April 28, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »
When I first arrived I got student lists with their names and grades. 

The next year the print out "didn't exist" at my elementary schools so I took a group photo of the new 3rd grade classes.  Then printed it out and wrote their names next to their faces. 

This year the picture lists supposedly haven't been made again so I took pictures of the photos of the new 3rd graders that are on the walls of the school. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5196 on: April 28, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
One of my travel coTs made a point of telling me twice that we wouldn't have classes one day in May due to that school's birthday.

Just texted me that we actually will have classes that day.  >:(

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #5197 on: April 28, 2017, 02:26:06 PM »
One of my travel coTs made a point of telling me twice that we wouldn't have classes one day in May due to that school's birthday.

Just texted me that we actually will have classes that day.  >:(

You want a deskwarming website? The genius that is The Perry Bible Fellowship.

http://pbfcomics.com/
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5198 on: April 28, 2017, 02:29:32 PM »
I only see each grade once a week at my schools. There are no English teachers, only home room teachers who do their best, which on a whole is pretty okay...

except..

for one of my grade 3 classes. They are shockingly bad. Their HR teacher is an older woman, (I'm 40 and I would say she is about a year from retirement) and she speaks no English. Which I understand, but she has English classes and it is clear nothing is getting done. The books are basically blank. They still can't answer "Howzit going?" They cant identify Aa let alone any of the rest of the alphabet.

The difference between the two Grade 3 classes is HHHUUUUUUUUGGGEEE.

I feel so bad for these poor kids who are clearly just going to get left behind in English before they have even really started.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:40:44 PM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5199 on: April 28, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »
From my previous school:

I also wanted a student list so I could get to know the students. I asked my co-teacher a few times and she kept forgetting.(She wasn't being polite she is so forgetful, we are pretty good friends now)
I had only just met her so I felt so awkward about asking her again. Each time I reminded her she was so weird and overly sorry.

I went on the school website, each class has a homepage and they usually have pictures of the whole class. I then wrote the names on the picture (Usually with the help of other students from that class haha)

Saved me the awkwardness, I had the students names....then I moved schools  :sad: