September 26, 2018, 04:58:43 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098360 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2800 on: November 30, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »
Stupid co-teacher teaching the kids wierd phrases. Not technically incorrect, I guess, but in context, I don't think it's appropriate. Maybe others can correct me? We're reviewing the lessons and yesterday we did chapter 5 "What's Wrong?" (grade six):

Me: What's the problem?
Ss: What's the problem?
CT: Or, you can say 'What's your problem?'
Me: Well, that could be taken the wrong way. *I proceed to explain that 'What's the problem?' is closer to 'What's the matter' versus 'What's your problem?' which sounds confrontational*
CT: It's depends on the situation.
Me: Yes, and it changes the meaning. It's not incorrect but it would most likely come off the wrong way if you actually said that to someone.
CT: Okay, class. Repeat after me: What's your problem?
Me: *mentally cursing CT*

Today, we did chapter 6 "What will you do this summer vacation?" :

Me: I will get there by plane.
Ss: I will get there by plane.
CT: Or, 'I will get there by airplane' or 'I will get there by aircraft.'
Me: ... *give up*

Is it just me that thinks these are awkward?

Man "aircraft" is killing me for some reason. And yeah, I can't think of a context where "What's your problem?" doesn't sound confrontational. Reminds me of one of the window shades in my classroom with a doctor saying, "What's the matter with you?" to some kid. Same thing. Not technically wrong but suuuuuper loaded.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2801 on: November 30, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »

Uhhhhh, you're on unit 6? You're SUPER BEHIND on the lessons. hahahah
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #2802 on: November 30, 2016, 03:26:08 PM »
Hanword or whatever the f it's called.

I had to just change all my camp documents to hanword per the request of the camp teacher, who cannot speak any English. It took almost an entire day. Also, that program has an obscene amount of spyware.

I... I don't think it does.
I don't know if it has spyware, though it wouldn't surprise me if it does, but those Hancom products are famous for being super vulnerbale to malware and as a backdoor to bad stuff.
Which would be half way forgivable if wasn't one of the worst pieces of software on planet earth.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:29:19 PM by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2803 on: November 30, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
Okay, good to know I'm not just losing my English abilities. ;P For the record, my CT is a guy haha He's the only one this year that I really have any issues with and they're not huge problems so I'm lucky, I guess, but it annoys me that he does this. I never used to correct him during class because he would ask me beforehand but at some point he started getting a little too confident and stopped consulting with me at all. Even when I was explaining to him the difference between 'What's the problem' and 'What's your problem' he just kind of shrugged it off like 'You don't know what you're talking about.' :rolleyes:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2804 on: November 30, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »

Also, this.

Lol no, we finished the book, but now we're taking a day per lesson to review.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2805 on: November 30, 2016, 03:34:21 PM »
I had to proctor a math test today and caught three students cheating and took their tests from them. They thought this was the funniest thing and continued talking the rest of the period.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2806 on: November 30, 2016, 03:40:40 PM »

Also, this.

Lol no, we finished the book, but now we're taking a day per lesson to review.
Oh ho. Figured it was something like that.

We realized we were going to quickly through the book, and didn't want to be left with nothing for February, so we've been stretching the same lesson out for about 3 weeks. It's pretty painful and everyone is bored to death of it.

Oh god, I feel sorry for everyone involved.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2807 on: December 01, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »
When you give candy as a reward (not a regular thing for me) and the little s*%ts have the audacity to scream about they don't want this candy, they want more candy and want to swop candy and get belligerent when they don't get more candy when they haven't even bothered to attempt to finish one basic task....

Last time anyone gets candy in my classroom. Back to high fives and "good job".
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2808 on: December 01, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »
When you give candy as a reward (not a regular thing for me) and the little s*%ts have the audacity to scream about they don't want this candy, they want more candy and want to swop candy and get belligerent when they don't get more candy when they haven't even bothered to attempt to finish one basic task....

Teacher, I don't like this candy.

I can count the amount of times I got candy in Elem school on one hand. Buck up, Buttercup.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2809 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »

I can count the amount of times I got candy in Elem school on one hand. Buck up, Buttercup.
When I first came to this school, I had a grade 2 high schooler come up to me and ask where the candy was after a game, and even hold his hands out for it. Apparently the previous teacher handed it out all the time.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2810 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
I only ever got candy on Valentine's Day or Halloween back in primary, and it was normally from other students.

My middle school students criticize each other if they complain about the candy that they get. A few of them will even attempt to take candy away from students who dare to complain. Most will just give what they don't like to a friend and go without. Not sure at what point this behavior/expectation is imposed on them because it's not apparently coming from elementary school.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #2811 on: December 01, 2016, 09:07:26 AM »

Haha!

I got a fuzzy bear once for making a super save in a football match at primary school.  That was it.  What a save though!

The Korean expression for when the students kick up a fuss is: (tough shit, basically)

찬밥 더운밥 가릴 때가 아니다
(chan bap de woon bap ga ril ddae ga an ni da)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2812 on: December 01, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
I recall getting candy in Elem. school but just for special occasions such as Halloween/Christmas or if you won a contest.

For my elem. kids, I only give them candy for Halloween/Christmas. The majority of them get delighted. The only complaint has been from one kid who doesn't like chocolate (I gave out Reese's mini cups for Halloween). Recently though, my coT has taken to giving the kids candy willy nilly... I give foreign candies tho, so at least my coT isn't giving out the same kind.

In middle school, candy for those two holidays, and at random as prizes for games but infrequently so that they don't expect candy every class. They're always pleased as punch whenever candy is involved, never any whinging about the kind.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2813 on: December 01, 2016, 09:21:19 AM »

When I first came to this school, I had a grade 2 high schooler come up to me and ask where the candy was after a game, and even hold his hands out for it. Apparently the previous teacher handed it out all the time.

I give it out all the time myself. However, my schools only want me doing games. So my classes are nothing more than a game for 45 minutes. (middle school). If I don't have a prize, I only get about 2 - 4 students trying (usually part of the same team), having candy as a prize gets most of the students trying.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2814 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
Our lunch schedule changed so now on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I'll have five classes back to back, then finally lunch at 1:15.  :cry: I'm gonna have to bring a snack to eat between classes.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2815 on: December 01, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
Here, I've seen students storm a teachers desk to find more candy, rip open bags and go in her desk while she laughs nervously and they walk away with what they've stolen saying "THANK YOU TEACHER!" After seeing that, I rarely give out prizes anymore. I'm stunned by how ungrateful students can be.
I caught students stealing from my candy stash once before and I never gave that class anything again and made sure they knew why.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2816 on: December 01, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
Here, I've seen students storm a teachers desk to find more candy, rip open bags and go in her desk while she laughs nervously and they walk away with what they've stolen saying "THANK YOU TEACHER!" After seeing that, I rarely give out prizes anymore. I'm stunned by how ungrateful students can be.
I caught students stealing from my candy stash once before and I never gave that class anything again and made sure they knew why.

Well this particular class will never get candy again... NEVER

* but then I had a saving grace class that also were shocked to get candy, and kept thanking me over and over...??
-A.A. Milne

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2817 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »

* but then I had a saving grace class that also were shocked to get candy, and kept thanking me over and over...??
If the kids aren't greatful for candy, no more candy, winning team gets to leave 2 minutes early while the losing team cleans up the room. BWAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2818 on: December 01, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
Yeah the candy culture here blows my mind. Getting rewards for doing the bare minimum of what is asked. Unreal.

I share an office with a teacher who is known for having a drawer of treats and so the same six or seven students will bring their screeching and general noise pollution in during the breaks to beg for food like they're stray cats. Those 10 minutes of relative peace are totally shot.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2819 on: December 01, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »

If the kids aren't greatful for candy, no more candy, winning team gets to leave 2 minutes early while the losing team cleans up the room. BWAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW

This is my usual strategy. Will stick with it me thinks!
-A.A. Milne