December 11, 2017, 05:12:30 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594836 times)

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7380 on: October 18, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »
Today for lunch they gave us a big bowl of pasta, rice with anchovies and seaweed squished into a ball, and dduk covered in that spicy sauce. I need more variety than that.  :cry:

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #7381 on: October 18, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »
we had samgyetang juk (ginseng chicken porridge/aka my favorite korean lunch soup)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7382 on: October 18, 2017, 03:20:38 PM »
Met a new person today and she held on to my hand for an uncomfortably long period of time.  Like well after introductions and some brief small talk.  Didn't drop my hand until departing.    :undecided:   :-[

I just kept smiling awkwardly. 

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7383 on: October 18, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »
Today for lunch they gave us a big bowl of pasta, rice with anchovies and seaweed squished into a ball, and dduk covered in that spicy sauce. I need more variety than that.  :cry:

I made the right decision in opting out of lunch (except at my once a week country school). School lunches are gross pretty much everywhere in the world.

Online travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7384 on: October 19, 2017, 07:43:50 AM »
Actually my school lunches are pretty gourmet. No kidding. I don't eat them anymore because teachers get unlimited servings and I gained a ton of weight from it...lol

Example:
Bimbimbap self bar buffet. Make your own bibimbap with more than a dozen different fresh ingredients.
Fried chicken day with freshly made (not frozen) french fries, salad (the dressing options are still gross though), macaroni salad
Spaghetti and meat ball day
Sweet and Sour pork
etc.

I made the right decision in opting out of lunch (except at my once a week country school). School lunches are gross pretty much everywhere in the world.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #7385 on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:19 AM »
My lunches at my new main school are a level above my former main school (now travel). That and they give me a lot more of the good stuff, less of the fillers. Their ingredients seem to be of a higher quality as well, ie. the meat seems to have a lot less cartilage and fat on it.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #7386 on: October 19, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
 :-* CO2, we need to go through 4 pages fast today to catch up.

:police: Agreed.

:-* Proceeds to waste inordinate amounts of time in class on frivolities.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7387 on: October 19, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »
I'm trying to tell if your use of 'rite' was intentional or not.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And almost burbled a little bit of coffee out of my mouth from laughing.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7388 on: October 19, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »
My biggest gripe with lunches here is when they use too much sauce / ketchup / sugar poison.

Today we had delicious eggs, and they covered it with a big dollop of ketchup. Gross.

Or like when they'll give you fish that MIGHT be delicious, but it's covered in fried batter and sticky sugar poison sauce.

Or chicken with sauce. Sauce is gross. Ew.

If they had more seafood and vegetables and stuff that wasn't either fried meat or glucose trash, I'd feel better.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7389 on: October 19, 2017, 11:44:06 AM »
My biggest gripe with lunches here is when they use too much sauce / ketchup / sugar poison.

Today we had delicious eggs, and they covered it with a big dollop of ketchup. Gross.

Or like when they'll give you fish that MIGHT be delicious, but it's covered in fried batter and sticky sugar poison sauce.

If they had more seafood and vegetables and stuff that wasn't either fried meat or glucose trash, I'd feel better.

:angel:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7390 on: October 19, 2017, 12:03:43 PM »

:angel:

Online sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7391 on: October 19, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
compared to my school last year, this years lunches are a lot better, but they still aren't good.

maybe once or twice a month we will have a really good meal, but most of the time the food is soooo bland I have to mix kimchi in with everything just to make it have a taste. i don't even like kimchi. lately our most "special" meal has a boiled sweet potato that everyone peeled and ate like a banana. i said no thanks! it did inspire me to buy some sweet potatoes and make a really good hash at home, though.

i've heard about some schools having really bomb lunches. my co-T splits her time between several different schools and opted out of lunch at my school this semester. she said the food wasn't good and just a waste of calories.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7392 on: October 19, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
lately our most "special" meal has a boiled sweet potato that everyone peeled and ate like a banana. i said no thanks!

I... don't get it. Who doesn't like sweet potatoes? They're literally one of the healthiest foods you can eat, and they taste awesome.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7393 on: October 19, 2017, 01:53:31 PM »
lately our most "special" meal has a boiled sweet potato that everyone peeled and ate like a banana. i said no thanks!

I... don't get it. Who doesn't like sweet potatoes? They're literally one of the healthiest foods you can eat, and they taste awesome.
But... but... they're sweet! Doesn't that make them poisonous filth????  :wink:

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7394 on: October 19, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »

You always seem shocked and confused when someone has an opinion or experience that differs from you.

Personally I find starchy vegetables grown in Korean to have this weird consistency. Potatoes especially. Like chalk. A horticulturalist at a uni i used to work at explained it that the soil here has been fertilized in a certain way for so many thousands of years to grow primarily rice and so certain root veges have a certain taste or texture that may not suit everyone. I dont know if that's true. I was dubious at that time. But what do i know.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7395 on: October 19, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

To be fair, I prefer the orange sweet potatoes from back home.  I find the sweet potatoes here to be a bit dry, comparatively, and not as sweet. 

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7396 on: October 19, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »

Kumara (sweet potato) is disgusting to me. Whenever I taste it, it makes me want to barf. D:
I like sweet foods too!

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7397 on: October 19, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »
  I find the sweet potatoes here to be a bit dry,
Yes. Try to make a decent mash with them and it can be a bit a challenge to get nice consistency.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #7398 on: October 19, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »
I used to like sweet potatoes, until they became a staple of everything here.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #7399 on: October 19, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »
So I had to move 2 students from a table because they were being bothered with the student in front and he wouldn't turn around. I told him multiple times and he just said he didn't want to in Korean.  So then this kid was literally pushing a desk behind him into other students.
Even after I had to sit on the desk to stop him from moving it he continued to try and push the desk into the other students.

I have never wanted to hurt a child before but this punk 5th grader made me  :evil: pissed. I wish kids got sent to the principal like when I was in school. Some of the 5th graders in this school are the worst kids I have ever taught with behaviour. Woooo saaaaaa  >:( :evil: