December 17, 2017, 08:22:13 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 601394 times)

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7060 on: September 13, 2017, 10:01:22 AM »
Why does my school insist on playing the listening test in the teacher's room?

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7061 on: September 13, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »
I came back to my room and it smelled faintly of rotting food or something, so I changed the trashes only to find that the trash isn't the culprit, it's whatever is cooking for today's lunch  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7062 on: September 13, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »
Well you mentioned users getting warned/muted for expressing their dissatisfaction. So I was thinking more along the lines of that. You may not see the post they were warned for, because if it was really insulting or profane, it was most likely removed. It's okay to be angry or upset and express that, but flaming is still unacceptable.

I wasn't really talking about anyone specific having already been warned or muted, I was more wondering whether that was something that could happen.

There have been at least two threads about the subject that were locked, one of which wasn't nearly as long as the more recent one. One thread being locked ostensibly "for flaming" can perhaps be excused, but two threads about the same topic being locked seemed to suggest that the topic was off-limits.

I'm generally of the mind that it's better to remove/warn inflammatory posts than to lock threads entirely, so conversation can be allowed to continue. When a topic is locked down not once but twice, it starts to look like inflammatory posts weren't the problem.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:57:31 AM by Mister Tim »

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7063 on: September 13, 2017, 12:27:06 PM »
In May, I was told that teaching the 2nd and 3rd year middle school kids how to read large numbers was too easy for them.

Guess who can't read the large numbers that are part of the lesson we're doing now.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7064 on: September 13, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
In May, I was told that teaching the 2nd and 3rd year middle school kids how to read large numbers was too easy for them.

Guess who can't read the large numbers that are part of the lesson we're doing now.
I would say that a good twelve-twentieths of my grade three middle school students still mix up "12" and "20", as well as "n-teen" and "n-ty".

I occasionally do warm up activities in middle school that include counting by multiples of 10 etc that stump my kids.*

* My favourite is the clapping game: students take turns counting, but need to clap instead if certain conditions are met. For example, clap for any number with a circle in it (ie 0,4,6,8,9), is a prime, is a multiple of 7, has either less than or more than 2 vowels, is symmetrical, etc. Can get really confusing when you start layering conditions! Inventive punishments always make things more fun!

Oh, and a rant: it's my birthday soon, and I've only received a half dozen gifts from the kids. They better step up their generosity tomorrow, else it'll be nothing but worksheets and textbooks next week!  >:(

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7065 on: September 13, 2017, 02:57:27 PM »
My principal is a pretty chill guy. I don't interact with him much, but he always makes it a point to greet me whenever we cross paths. He bows, says "hello" or "good morning" in English (even when I try to greet him in Korean), and he doesn't do anything to make my life harder, so it's all good.

The only thing is that whenever people from outside of the school drops in to visit, he makes it a point to almost completely ignore me, even when I greet him. I understand that there are appearances to maintain... but why is being a rude asshole to a foreigner a part of that process? All I know is, my other principals never felt the need to do this. They may have chosen to nod their heads instead of slightly bowing to me in those same instances, but they still politely acknowledged my presence.

I just wonder if he ever feels bad about doing it, if he realizes just how bad it looks to those outside of the gaejeossi circle.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7066 on: September 13, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
I have to make 20 golden bell questions about a book that doesn't have a story.

It's basically just a song printed next to pictures, repetitive... no action.. just pretty language.

Why did my CT choose this book!

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7067 on: September 13, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
I'd like to preemptively rant about how my coteacher is going to give the kids the answer to whatever warm up I decided to do tomorrow.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #7068 on: September 13, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
I thought Paypal didn't even work well in Korea...?

NOTHING related to banking works well in Korea.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7069 on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:17 PM »

I would say that a good twelve-twentieths of my grade three middle school students still mix up "12" and "20"

I see what you did there.  But the remnants of the math teacher in me wants to point out that you should reduce that fraction to three-fifths.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7070 on: September 14, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »

I would say that a good twelve-twentieths of my grade three middle school students still mix up "12" and "20"
I see what you did there.  But the remnants of the math teacher in me wants to point out that you should reduce that fraction to three-fifths.
Well, I wouldn't want to oversimplify things and come across as patronising.  :smiley:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7071 on: September 14, 2017, 08:17:06 AM »

Well, I wouldn't want to oversimplify things and come across as patronising.  :smiley:

I remember my dad's favourite mathematical expression when talking about politicians or people he didn't like, and that was 'he knows three-fifths of fcuk-all'.  The answer being?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #7072 on: September 14, 2017, 08:51:12 AM »
Y'all got that one teacher who talks louder than a Boeing747 taking off in the school office? I've got one of them and a female teacher who's voice sounds like nails scraping down a chalkboard. 
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

gidget

« Reply #7073 on: September 14, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »
I just saw my CT on the other website-that-must-be-spoken-of.

I can't complain on either forum!!   :cry: :cry: :cry:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7074 on: September 14, 2017, 02:10:58 PM »

I remember my dad's favourite mathematical expression when talking about politicians or people he didn't like, and that was 'he knows three-fifths of fcuk-all'.  The answer being?

We used to say "Square root of bugger all".

Also, "She doesn't have a click."  A click being 1/60 of a clue.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #7075 on: September 14, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
Co-T: *when referring to prepositions of place on/in/under* We don't say "Where is the pencil?" We say "Where is a pencil?"

No.

Offline hangook77

• Adventurer
« Reply #7076 on: September 15, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
No ranting today.  It's friday.  I only have 3 classes on Friday.  First period is free.  The weather is seasonably cool and nice.  (So I'm told.  Expats said last night Sept is usually still pretty humid most years.)  Either way, it's Friday.  Nothing to complain about here.  Happy Friday everyone!!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:16:42 AM by hangook77 »

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #7077 on: September 15, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
I wish my idiot co-teacher would stop telling students to open their books to "paygee 35." If you can't pronounce 'page' then you shouldn't be teaching English.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #7078 on: September 15, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »
I wish my idiot co-teacher would stop telling students to open their books to "paygee 35." If you can't pronounce 'page' then you shouldn't be teaching English.

Eat ijuh aw pensheel.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:42:34 AM by CO2 »

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7079 on: September 15, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »

could be worse