December 11, 2017, 05:28:26 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594858 times)

Offline HabsFanInKorea

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6180 on: July 06, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »
3 carb lunch today.

Pasta salad (with corn of course), rice and seafood japchae noodles. Only kimchi as a vegetable. I'm so bloated this week that I look like a gd whale. I'd kill for a day full of meals with real vegetables.
I feel you.  Yesterday we had 'Mexican-Korean fusion'  There was rice (of course), some kind of udon noodle salad, french fries and a bulgogi burrito, which of course had rice in it too.  All of the teachers were complaining.  Who puts these lunches together?

This sounds better than 80% of lunches I've had.
I'm sorry to hear that.  Usually our lunches are pretty good and then once in a while they have really odd combinations like the one I posted above.  I guess it's not really all that bad I just wish  they didn't have days were literally every item is high in carbs. 

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6181 on: July 06, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
3 carb lunch today.

Pasta salad (with corn of course), rice and seafood japchae noodles. Only kimchi as a vegetable. I'm so bloated this week that I look like a gd whale. I'd kill for a day full of meals with real vegetables.
I feel you.  Yesterday we had 'Mexican-Korean fusion'  There was rice (of course), some kind of udon noodle salad, french fries and a bulgogi burrito, which of course had rice in it too.  All of the teachers were complaining.  Who puts these lunches together?

I hear you. Today was seaweed soup, some kind of grass soaked in hot pepper sauce (probably the best part of the meal,) kimchi, the ubiquitous bowl o' rice, and two small, greasy chicken legs slathered in strawberry jam. BLech!

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #6182 on: July 06, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
I have always taught in the ghetto. Maybe wealthier areas have better lunches.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6183 on: July 06, 2017, 02:08:18 PM »
I make my own lunch. No need to worry about death by grains in that case.

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6184 on: July 06, 2017, 02:11:31 PM »
I guess I am quite lucky at my school. We generally have a wide variety of foods served, meaning not the same foods over and over again, and they do a good job for the most part. I don't really like seafood and it is not served that often, so that is always a plus. Wednesdays are the special days and the food is always a noticeable step up from the other days. Each day we typically get a pretty good dessert, whether that be something sweet or some type of fresh fruit etc.

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6185 on: July 06, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
I'm so irritated. They changed the summer schedule so now the second semester starts August 22nd. My camp is 10 days, so that only leaves me a week and a half of vacation. Vacation starts on Thursday the 10th and ends Monday the 21st, then it's back to school on Tuesday. That's barely long enough to make a plane ticket worth it. It just uses 7 of my vacation days, so that leaves 18 for winter. Yuck. All the teachers are fuming, and I feel bad for the kids too because that means they only have 3.5 weeks of summer vacation.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:28:45 PM by flyingspider »

Online sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6186 on: July 06, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »
I guess I am quite lucky at my school. We generally have a wide variety of foods served, meaning not the same foods over and over again, and they do a good job for the most part. I don't really like seafood and it is not served that often, so that is always a plus. Wednesdays are the special days and the food is always a noticeable step up from the other days. Each day we typically get a pretty good dessert, whether that be something sweet or some type of fresh fruit etc.

You are lucky. Yesterday at my school we had a meat patty fried hard covered in cheeto dust and some noodles.

Today they tried to pass off two different types of kimchi as two different meals and the other meal was one slice of fishcake.

I guess people who say the school food here is good and healthy must work at really nice schools.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6187 on: July 06, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »

You are lucky. Yesterday at my school we had a meat patty fried hard covered in cheeto dust and some noodles.

Today they tried to pass off two different types of kimchi as two different meals and the other meal was one slice of fishcake.

I guess people who say the school food here is good and healthy must work at really nice schools.

My food is okay. I enjoy Korean food and really the only place I'll get to try a variety is at school. Most things I probably won't eat again when I get back home though. I'm particularly a little bummed that I won't have the fishcake soup. For some reason, I'm super addicted to that, and I don't even like soup.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6188 on: July 06, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
I'm so irritated. They changed the summer schedule so now the second semester starts August 22nd. My camp is 10 days, so that only leaves me a week and a half of vacation. Vacation starts on Thursday the 10th and ends Monday the 21st, then it's back to school on Tuesday. That's barely long enough to make a plane ticket worth it. It just uses 7 of my vacation days, so that leaves 18 for winter. Yuck. All the teachers are fuming, and I feel bad for the kids too because that means they only have 3.5 weeks of summer vacation.

Mine tried to give me 4 days of vacation (they told me last week, after they've been telling me i'd get 10 this summer for the last 3 months) so my 5 re-signing days would expire. I told them straight up no but I don't actually find out for sure. Tickets are booked and I'm ready to walk if they try to dick me around :) After so much dickery this year I'm already on edge and this could be the last straw :) I've got it in writing and I signed the darn form saying when my vacation would be but apparently one of my billion schools is trying to squeeze an extra week of camp out of me...

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #6189 on: July 06, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
Another shitt y air day today. I guess those free subways days are coming?

lol.

My bet is that they re-define it as originating domestically, so see above.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #6190 on: July 06, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
Hmm.  I live on the actual school grounds and utility bills get mailed to the school and are not even in my name.  So I'm not sure if an ATM or online transfer is possible? Or if that makes any difference??  I have no idea.  Not a huge inconvenience at all though, so not complaining about some extra exercise.

Do your utility bills have a boxed area where they show different bank names with different bank account numbers to which you can transfer the money for the bill? If so, you can pay those bills by transferring the money via an ATM (just choose which bank/bank account number you want to transfer your payment to). It shouldn't matter whether or not your utility bills are in your name (none of mine are in my name, either).

I think it's interesting that your bank actually lets people pay their utility bills by going up to the counter and having a bank teller do it for them. A long time ago, I tried to do that at a NongHyup near my then-school, and the bank teller insisted that I use the machine to pay the utility bill.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6191 on: July 06, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »
Hmm.  I live on the actual school grounds and utility bills get mailed to the school and are not even in my name.  So I'm not sure if an ATM or online transfer is possible? Or if that makes any difference??  I have no idea.  Not a huge inconvenience at all though, so not complaining about some extra exercise.

Do your utility bills have a boxed area where they show different bank names with different bank account numbers to which you can transfer the money for the bill? If so, you can pay those bills by transferring the money via an ATM (just choose which bank/bank account number you want to transfer your payment to). It shouldn't matter whether or not your utility bills are in your name (none of mine are in my name, either).

I think it's interesting that your bank actually lets people pay their utility bills by going up to the counter and having a bank teller do it for them. A long time ago, I tried to do that at a NongHyup near my then-school, and the bank teller insisted that I use the machine to pay the utility bill.

My KEB branch lets me pay at the teller if it isn't too busy, and if I am doing other transactions such as wire transfers.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6192 on: July 07, 2017, 08:17:42 AM »
3 carb lunch today.

I hear you. Today was seaweed soup, some kind of grass soaked in hot pepper sauce (probably the best part of the meal,) kimchi, the ubiquitous bowl o' rice, and two small, greasy chicken legs slathered in strawberry jam. BLech!

Waygook.org user Lurch, that was probably 부추. It's pretty common.

That lunch sounds great - minus the strawberry poison.

I don't think it was 부추. It was a different shape from what I'm used to.

I'm not sure what part of the meal is great - unless you like 미역국, which I do not, and it's something we're served almost weekly. Also, it's not so much the contents of the meal as the quality of the contents. My school tends to overcook the already-mushy sticky rice and put the absolute lowest quality of meat acceptable in their soups. It was a better lunch than the days we get noodles, rice and more noodles, but I wouldn't call it great. Not by a long shot.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6193 on: July 07, 2017, 08:33:20 AM »

Oh I see, I haven't really paid attention but next time I'll take a closer look!

And I think that my bank is probably accustomed to dealing with elderly folk who aren't that with it concerning technology, hahah.  Or maybe they're bored and don't mind the customer interaction.  Generally whenever I make it to the bank it's pretty dead.   

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6194 on: July 07, 2017, 09:24:53 AM »

My food is okay. I enjoy Korean food and really the only place I'll get to try a variety is at school. Most things I probably won't eat again when I get back home though. I'm particularly a little bummed that I won't have the fishcake soup. For some reason, I'm super addicted to that, and I don't even like soup.

It's addictive because it's loaded with MSG. Which is what makes it so delicious.

More MSG then, please.

On another note, came to work and the speakers were working and I had a music game and video. Took my whole first period class for 2 teachers to fix it.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6195 on: July 07, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
The edu office stepped in to my summer camp situation. They made it much better for me but now my main CT is calling to complain that they don't get to hog my entire camp time. Poor them, having to share. Please let the official signed plan stick! Please don't let her ruin this for me :'(

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
« Reply #6196 on: July 07, 2017, 10:02:51 AM »
Why can't my students, after finishing lunch, simply shake the leftovers on their tray into the compost bin then place the tray in the sink. Why must they loudly bang the metal tray against the metal bin (several times over) to remove the leftovers, then toss it noisily into the metal sink?

Like so much other noise in Korea, it's so completely unnecessary.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6197 on: July 07, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
I hate the people who leave wet tissue packs open.

Offline HabsFanInKorea

• Veteran
« Reply #6198 on: July 07, 2017, 11:30:17 AM »
Why can't my students, after finishing lunch, simply shake the leftovers on their tray into the compost bin then place the tray in the sink. Why must they loudly bang the metal tray against the metal bin (several times over) to remove the leftovers, then toss it noisily into the metal sink?

Like so much other noise in Korea, it's so completely unnecessary.

They do it to make you angry.

Offline wanderingskald

• Adventurer
« Reply #6199 on: July 07, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »
Never understood why the schools remain open for weeks after exams are finished.  Feels like a day care.