December 18, 2017, 04:52:59 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 603562 times)

Offline sisususi

• Adventurer
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4920 on: April 13, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »
Following up on my rant yesterday...

Last week my main co-teacher said "You look so tired lately, and you've lost weight. Are you healthy?" I told her that I was fine, hadn't lost weight, and just get tired sometimes.

Yesterday, she asked me to go have a "talk". Apparently, telling me that I looked tired was supposed to be secret code for "I'm angry with you and you should do better at school." She went off on me for a laundry list of different complaints, from "yawning in class", to "using materials from waygook" (I used one excellent review ppt, and usually make the vast majority of my own materials), to "making boring activities".

She actually told me at one point "If you want to end your contract, I will help you do that."

This all came after I told her on Friday that I won't re-sign my contract. Before then, our working relationship was mostly excellent. Just two weeks ago, when she was drunk at a 희식 she told me I was the best foreign teacher that she had ever had.

I'm worried that she is going to make my life miserable for the next 4 months, looking for every minor mistake in order to make her feel better about me leaving.

Has this happened to anyone else when they don't re-sign?!

Following up yet again, because she's driving me crazy and I need somewhere to vent.

Usually, I plan our 3rd grade lessons 2 or 3 days in advance. Today, she came in right before class (I was with a different coteacher) and told me she wants a lesson plan and materials for next Wednesday by 3pm today. Fine, whatever, I can put something together.

I came up with a fun lesson, making sure not to use any materials from waygook, varying the types of activities, etc. I present my lesson plan to her. Her feedback was "It's fine."

For alphabet lessons, I usually show my students how to write the letters by having them write them in the air with their fingers. I start out slow, then have them go faster and faster until I'm just saying "onetwothreeonetwothree etc." It's silly but the kids laugh. When I presented the lesson today, she also said "That was funny the first time, but now it's stupid and repetitive."

For f***s sake, I can't win with this woman. 135 days until the end of my contract. 135 days...

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4921 on: April 13, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
This is more of just a "huh" moment than a rant, but I have one student who does nothing. He was held back last year because he failed almost all of his classes, and he is right on track to be held back again (if they can do that?). I had to proctor a test for this class today, because their test was scheduled during my normal class time with them. He showed up 40 minutes late to class and then just doodled on the test, not writing a single answer.

Wow, I didn't know students can get held back a grade in Korea...I've never heard of that before and thought that all students always progress ahead to the next grade, no matter what. 

I also had a student (a then-6th grade boy) some years ago who would also literally do nothing in class (never even bothered to write anything on tests -- he would basically just hand in his tests with nothing written on it whatsoever -- didn't even bother to at least try). The sad thing is that he did progress on to the next grade/middle school. I think his school tuition was a complete waste of money on his parents' part...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:35:32 PM by Mezoti97 »

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4922 on: April 13, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »
My Thursday school is tiny and i can only use the library aftrr class because the classrooms are used by after school teachers. However today someone is F-ing in my place.  :cry:  so I'm sat on a library table reading a book and listening to music but it's not the same  :cry: i have too much work to do  :cry: :cry:

At one of my tiny country schools where I used to work, I also couldn't stay in the classroom (where I taught English classes) because of an afterschool class held in there later in the afternoon, so I had to stay in the teacher's office for the rest of the day after my last class. Besides me, the only other people in that office were the vice principal and one administration-type staff lady...I wish I could have stayed in the library or some other room in that school.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4923 on: April 13, 2017, 02:42:12 PM »
This is more of just a "huh" moment than a rant, but I have one student who does nothing. He was held back last year because he failed almost all of his classes, and he is right on track to be held back again (if they can do that?). I had to proctor a test for this class today, because their test was scheduled during my normal class time with them. He showed up 40 minutes late to class and then just doodled on the test, not writing a single answer.

Wow, I didn't know students can get held back a grade in Korea...I've never heard of that before and thought that all students always progress ahead to the next grade, no matter what. 

I also had a student (a then-6th grade boy) some years ago who would also literally do nothing in class (never even bothered to write anything on tests -- he would basically just hand in his tests with nothing written on it whatsoever -- didn't even bother to at least try). The sad thing is that he did progress on to the next grade/middle school. I think his school tuition was a complete waste of money on his parents' part...

I think it has to do with class hours.  Students have to be in school for a certain amount of time to graduate, even if they do naff all in their tests.  I had one student who started my middle school years back, then his stupid dad decided that he should home school him.  Because he missed so many days he couldn't continue in the grade he should be in, so ended up being joining the year below. 

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4924 on: April 13, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »
My Thursday school is tiny and i can only use the library aftrr class because the classrooms are used by after school teachers. However today someone is F-ing in my place.  :cry:  so I'm sat on a library table reading a book and listening to music but it's not the same  :cry: i have too much work to do  :cry: :cry:

At one of my tiny country schools where I used to work, I also couldn't stay in the classroom (where I taught English classes) because of an afterschool class held in there later in the afternoon, so I had to stay in the teacher's office for the rest of the day after my last class. Besides me, the only other people in that office were the vice principal and one administration-type staff lady...I wish I could have stayed in the library or some other room in that school.

I'm doing that right now. I hate sitting in the teachers room cuz I've planned all that I possibly can (because most of my schools only tell me what lesson we'll do a week in advance) so I'm just pretending to look for resources on here. It's awful. I want my own room where I can play checkers online when I'm done for the day and have an hour to kill :'(

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4925 on: April 13, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »

I'm doing that right now. I hate sitting in the teachers room cuz I've planned all that I possibly can (because most of my schools only tell me what lesson we'll do a week in advance) so I'm just pretending to look for resources on here. It's awful. I want my own room where I can play checkers online when I'm done for the day and have an hour to kill :'(

Thankfully she's gone now.

It sounds nice but it's really shitty when you have stuff to do for tomorrow. I had it in my old tiny school too, I used to sit in the nurses room and another teacher used to use the computer in there so I would just have to wait. It made the time draaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

I could go into the little office too but every 15 minutes a different teacher would come in and ask to use that computer so I felt like I was just being a pain.

In my main school I have to share an office with the 4 English teachers.

I would love my own classroom  :cry: It's my dream.

#sad

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4926 on: April 13, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »

I think it has to do with class hours.  Students have to be in school for a certain amount of time to graduate, even if they do naff all in their tests.  I had one student who started my middle school years back, then his stupid dad decided that he should home school him.  Because he missed so many days he couldn't continue in the grade he should be in, so ended up being joining the year below.
@Mezoti- Yeah, there are a few others that will just sleep the whole time during tests, even the (I assume) important midterms and finals. Literally just take the test and immediately fall right asleep. And this was my first time seeing a student ever be held back too.

So then that makes sense about the school hours, rather than actual grades. Because I sure as heck know they aren't getting passing grades.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #4927 on: April 13, 2017, 03:23:15 PM »
Today's installment of Things That Bother Me A Great Deal But Really Shouldn't:

When I see someone take a paper cup, fill it with a sip of water, then promptly throw it away.  >:(

So irritating. The use of paper cups here drives me crazy.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4928 on: April 13, 2017, 03:26:11 PM »

When I see someone take a paper cup, fill it with a sip of water, then promptly throw it away.  >:(

Rofl, what show is that?
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #4929 on: April 13, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »

[img]

Rofl, what show is that?

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. A Netflix original. Recommended for 30 Rock fans~

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4930 on: April 13, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »

Interesting -- I suppose the certain amount of time a student spends in school during the school year thing makes sense (I remember my elementary/middle/high schools back in my home country had a similar policy, and someone in my grade got left back as a result of missing too many days of school).

And interesting about the home schooling thing...I guess the time he spent being home schooled didn't count when he re-joined public school, then.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #4931 on: April 14, 2017, 07:25:01 AM »
Guy who gives me rides: Makes me wait for 5-20 minutes on a regular basis in the afternoons
Has made me wait 15-20 minutes in the cold/rain several times
His reason is "I have to shut all the doors/windows before I leave" (meanwhile I'm thinking: so... start at 4:50...?)
Never there in the morning right when he says he'll be (7:40)
Arrived at 7:45 yesterday

Me: Has unexpectedly dark circles, puts on full face in an attempt to look human, is 4 minutes late getting out to his car, it's the first time ever running a little late

Guy: "Tomorrow, please come out at 7:40. I waited a lot for you."

...Yeah ok.

inb4 "How dare you complain when he's giving you rides"... pls.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4932 on: April 14, 2017, 07:35:18 AM »
I swear to bird that my allergies are 100x worse this year than they were in previous years combined. The skin around my eyes hurt to the touch, and allergy meds don't really suppress the symptoms very much these days.

I've never done this before, but I'm seriously considering getting an allergy shot.

****** pine trees and pollution.

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4933 on: April 14, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »

Interesting -- I suppose the certain amount of time a student spends in school during the school year thing makes sense (I remember my elementary/middle/high schools back in my home country had a similar policy, and someone in my grade got left back as a result of missing too many days of school).

And interesting about the home schooling thing...I guess the time he spent being home schooled didn't count when he re-joined public school, then.
I remember a student back home (U.S.) whose parents took her out to homeschool her.  Unfortunately, they did not follow the proper procedures as far as withdrawing her, informing the school district, etc.  All her missed days were counted as unexcused, and when her parents (for whatever reason) put her back in public school she had to repeat a grade. 

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4934 on: April 14, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
I swear to bird that my allergies are 100x worse this year than they were in previous years combined. The skin around my eyes hurt to the touch, and allergy meds don't really suppress the symptoms very much these days.

I've never done this before, but I'm seriously considering getting an allergy shot.

I feel ya! My head feels like it is going to explode and my eyes pretty much water non-stop. today the airvisual reading here is 134.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4935 on: April 14, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »
Guy who gives me rides: Makes me wait for 5-20 minutes on a regular basis in the afternoons
Has made me wait 15-20 minutes in the cold/rain several times
His reason is "I have to shut all the doors/windows before I leave" (meanwhile I'm thinking: so... start at 4:50...?)
Never there in the morning right when he says he'll be (7:40)
Arrived at 7:45 yesterday

Me: Has unexpectedly dark circles, puts on full face in an attempt to look human, is 4 minutes late getting out to his car, it's the first time ever running a little late

Guy: "Tomorrow, please come out at 7:40. I waited a lot for you."

...Yeah ok.

inb4 "How dare you complain when he's giving you rides"... pls.

I don't think anyone will say you shouldn't complain about his crappy attitude.

People with travel schools really should look at buying a car though. Korean cars are pretty reliable and a 2 or 3 million won vehicle should run just fine without needing constant repairs.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4936 on: April 14, 2017, 07:51:32 AM »

I think it fits in perfectly with the Korean idea that the longer you spend at doing something, should probably mean that you actually did something meaningful.  When in actuality we know that isn't the case.  Don't bother with the actual thing of checking scores and holding students back for that reason, but hold them back for not actually showing their face in school. 

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4937 on: April 14, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »

Same here.

This is the worst I have had it in 20+ years

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4938 on: April 14, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
Isn't it SOP to always arrive before your ride, so he/she doesn't have to wait?

How much are you paying for gas, etc.?

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #4939 on: April 14, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »

Same here.

This is the worst I have had it in 20+ years

Started kickin my ass yesterday. Time to go to the doctor where they can give you a 5 day prescription for seasonal allergies.  :huh: :huh: :huh: