December 15, 2017, 10:07:11 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 600202 times)

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4800 on: April 10, 2017, 10:10:11 AM »
Kayos,

Are you sure your "boss" clearly understands your situation?

If they did, surely they would let you catch the earlier bus.

If they do, but don't, have you asked why the hostility toward you?

I'm not the one in this situation. I said, if I were in the OP's situation, I'd argue for it.
1 of my schools let me leave early to catch the bus, my other makes me wait, but someone gives me a ride home, in exchange for talking / helping them with their English during the ride.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4801 on: April 10, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »
at least you get paid an hour of non-teaching overtime every time you are at that school then  ;D
Whaaaat?

How do I go about getting this money? :P
You can't, unfortunately: the school isn't requiring you to stay that extra time. They would argue that you should just get yourself some transportation.

Which isn't a bad idea: get yourself a crappy old 50cc scooter for a 3oo,ooo won and save yourself an hour of waiting around time. They're also a heck of a lot of fun, if you dont mind risking life and limb in local traffic.  :smiley:

If you don't have a licence / can't drive, then you are required to stay that extra hour. I'd argue for it myself, as I can't drive. :P

No.
"Required"?
Please.

The original situation was: rural school, after school class makes them miss the bus, has to wait for an hour after school's finished to wait for the next bus. If you are like me and can't drive, and if one of the Korean teachers won't give you a ride (However, this wasn't mentioned by the OP, I don't think), then you are "required" to stay/wait for another hour to get the next bus.
I'd argue that it is required if I were in this situation, I'd fight for over time pay for this, if they wouldn't be willing to let me finish early to catch the bus closest to the finishing time.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4802 on: April 10, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »
I'm curious...if your school is out at 4:40, how are the other teachers leaving?

Why not pitch in for a ride along or something?

That used to be pretty SOP for anyone working rural...at least to get you closer to your main school or home (not door to door).

My most rural school is a boarding school. A lot of the Korean teachers there don't finish until around 7 - 8pm Monday - Thursday; on Friday's they finish really early though, around 1 - 2pm.
My other rural school finishes at 4 40pm, but a lot of the teachers don't start leaving until 5 - 520pm.

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #4803 on: April 10, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
at least you get paid an hour of non-teaching overtime every time you are at that school then  ;D
Whaaaat?

You can't, unfortunately: the school isn't requiring you to stay that extra time. They would argue that you should just get yourself some transportation.

Which isn't a bad idea: get yourself a crappy old 50cc scooter for a 3oo,ooo won and save yourself an hour of waiting around time. They're also a heck of a lot of fun, if you dont mind risking life and limb in local traffic.  :smiley:

If you don't have a licence / can't drive, then you are required to stay that extra hour. I'd argue for it myself, as I can't drive. :P

No.
"Required"?
Please.

The original situation was: rural school, after school class makes them miss the bus, has to wait for an hour after school's finished to wait for the next bus. If you are like me and can't drive, and if one of the Korean teachers won't give you a ride (However, this wasn't mentioned by the OP, I don't think), then you are "required" to stay/wait for another hour to get the next bus.
I'd argue that it is required if I were in this situation, I'd fight for over time pay for this, if they wouldn't be willing to let me finish early to catch the bus closest to the finishing time.

I'm actually done before lunch at all three of my rural schools, lol. I'm just not allowed to leave until 4:30 (4:40 on Friday) despite that and deskwarm every afternoon. But yeah, Friday the busses run at 4:20 and 5:20, and I get forced to take the 5:20, which suuuuuuuuucks.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4804 on: April 10, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
Whaaaat?

No.
"Required"?
Please.

I'm actually done before lunch at all three of my rural schools, lol. I'm just not allowed to leave until 4:30 (4:40 on Friday) despite that and deskwarm every afternoon. But yeah, Friday the busses run at 4:20 and 5:20, and I get forced to take the 5:20, which suuuuuuuuucks.

Ouch, on Tuesday's I used to be finished before lunch, however, my schedule has changed this semester, so my last class finishes at 3 55pm, however, I'm allowed to leave at 410 to catch the 420pm bus. The reason, which I stated in a different reply, is because it is a boarding school, the Korean teachers can't get out until 7 - 8 pm Mon - Thu, and can't offer me a ride, and they told me on my first week, they didn't want to pay me overtime if I have to take the later bus (which is at 620pm - it only comes every 2 hours there).
On Wednesday's, I am done with classes by period 2, and everyone in the school disappears right after lunch. I could probably leave at lunchtime and no one would notice. However, I don't due to being professional and all that. :p

But yeah, deskwarming can really suck! It's very tiring if you don't have anything to do. I hope that you can find a mutually beneficial solution for you and your school!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4805 on: April 10, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »
Pardon me if I'm misunderstanding, but are these all travel schools that are requiring you to stay after classes?  Are you not allowed to return to your main school? 

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4806 on: April 10, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
Pardon me if I'm misunderstanding, but are these all travel schools that are requiring you to stay after classes?  Are you not allowed to return to your main school?

In the past, mine have only let me return to my main school, if it was for a work related reason. I.E. Preparing for camp, having to go to the NET + co-teacher how to handle problems meeting, etc.
Otherwise, I have to remain at my travel school all day. However, I am allowed to leave slightly early for the bus. :)

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4807 on: April 10, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
The hallways have gone deathly quiet. I had a class due to start one minute ago... yet again it is clear that the waygookin has been left out of the loop. I want to be thrilled, however I know that this will just mean the first period, and then it will be back to grind, and one of my grade 5 classes will be a lesson ahead of the other. Three years here and still haven't come to terms with Korean surprises.

I got tired of stuff like that, too, so I started reading all the messages sent on the school messenger system, and then surprises became much less frequent. Rarely a surprise staff dinner or anything again.

Yeah, I wish I had messenger at this school, have been asking them for a while now, but I am only here once a week, so they probably don't think it is necessary. I just don't think it is too much to ask, when they see me in the teacher's lounge in the morning,  to just give me a quick "hey no 1st period, okay?" Okay! Or perhaps just drop me a kakao message when you hear there won't be a class. Aarrggh.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4808 on: April 10, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »
I hate to see students running around the halls in their socks.

These schools are completely filthy. Third graders running a broom over the steps for 10 minutes after lunch does nothing and the floors have obviously not been cleaned properly in years. There is dirt, sand from outside, food, wrappers etc covering the stairs and gathering in corners, yet they are running around shoeless between coming in from outside and arriving at their classrooms. It doesn't make any sense. Everyone can see these floors are dirty. Changing into school slippers doesn't save the place from needing a good cleaning, which it never gets... Yet everyone just ignores the fact that kids are running around in their socks on dirty floors because that's just how they've always done it.

So tired of rules being applied without any thought to logic or reason. I'm not saying get rid of tradition... Just adjust it so it makes some sense and people aren't running around spreading more filth!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4809 on: April 10, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »

It also bothers me when students play soccer/sports wearing slippers if not barefoot  :undecided: Surely nobody is surprised when someone hurts a foot.  When I was in P.E. class we were required to wear closed toed shoes or we got stuck walking laps the whole time. 

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #4810 on: April 10, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »

These schools are completely filthy. Third graders running a broom over the steps for 10 minutes after lunch does nothing and the floors have obviously not been cleaned properly in years. There is dirt, sand from outside, food, wrappers etc covering the stairs and gathering in corners, yet they are running around shoeless between coming in from outside and arriving at their classrooms. It doesn't make any sense. Everyone can see these floors are dirty. Changing into school slippers doesn't save the place from needing a good cleaning, which it never gets... Yet everyone just ignores the fact that kids are running around in their socks on dirty floors because that's just how they've always done it.

So tired of rules being applied without any thought to logic or reason. I'm not saying get rid of tradition... Just adjust it so it makes some sense and people aren't running around spreading more filth!

Right? At one of my schools, the students and teachers have to walk across an outdoor area that is clearly dirty/sandy/no better than walking on a street sidewalk, but they don't change to their outside shoes. They just stay in the indoor slippers. Which boggles my mind because then it's like... well then what's the point of the slippers??

Meanwhile everything would be solved if the janitor just properly mopped every now and then, but y'know.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4811 on: April 10, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »

Right? At one of my schools, the students and teachers have to walk across an outdoor area that is clearly dirty/sandy/no better than walking on a street sidewalk, but they don't change to their outside shoes. They just stay in the indoor slippers. Which boggles my mind because then it's like... well then what's the point of the slippers??

Meanwhile everything would be solved if the janitor just properly mopped every now and then, but y'know.

The first time I had to walk through an outside area like that I hesitated because it totally defeats the purpose of having slippers.

But I'm wondering if anyone else had to have "indoor shoes" for elementary school in their home country. Growing up my schools always made us change our shoes and have designated "indoor shoes". Did no one else have to deal with that? People always complain about the slippers but I'm kind of used to it because that's almost what we did back home :/

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4812 on: April 10, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »

The first time I had to walk through an outside area like that I hesitated because it totally defeats the purpose of having slippers.

But I'm wondering if anyone else had to have "indoor shoes" for elementary school in their home country. Growing up my schools always made us change our shoes and have designated "indoor shoes". Did no one else have to deal with that? People always complain about the slippers but I'm kind of used to it because that's almost what we did back home :/

No I never had indoor shoes for school except for maybe kindergarten? Oh and when we'd wear boots during rainy or snowy days.

I'm definitely not opposed to having them change shoes, it's just that there are no other measures taken to make sure the indoor floors stay clean and safe for students to walk around in their socks (even though honestly the socks in a public area thing is kind of gross to me still).

Last year when going out to lunch we'd go in our slippers. It's not like there are separate slippers for the bathrooms either. There's basically no real logical reason to have kids walking around in their socks except for tradition... They could at least try at make it a little bit cleaner by having professional cleaners come in. Then again the telepathic waves I send to my CTs to get them to wash their hands with soap after they use the bathroom never work so I'm not holding my breath that people are going to realize "hey, this really isn't clean!" anytime soon.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #4813 on: April 10, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »

We didn't do that where I grew up. I'm not used to it but I don't mind it too much? Except when someone else uses my slippers. Like. I wrote my name on both of them. And they're bright pink. And everyone knows I wear the bright pink slippers. And yet, every time I go to my Wednesday school, they aren't in the cabinet where I left them. The first time it happened, I had no idea where to look, and another teacher found them and brought them to me. The second time, I went with her because she went to check the same place she found them last time, and they were there--it was like, a small sort of broom closet that has a backdoor leading outside? So like... I think it's the janitor lady, who I'm friendly with, but that doesn't mean I want her taking my shoes and leaving them wherever she pleases... Ughhhh.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4814 on: April 10, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
Maybe it's a Southern Ontario thing. Or a 90s thing. We always had to change shoes and if we were a portable class we'd wear our inside shoes from the portable, to the gym in the main school and back. They had to have white bottoms to them too so that when we used them for gym we wouldn't get black scuff marks all over the floor. I just wore black bottomed shows anyways to get out of gym class cuz I was a jerk.

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #4815 on: April 10, 2017, 02:11:06 PM »

lol it's so bad at my main school, I stopped changing into my slippers each day and nobody's even said anything, if they've noticed. Them slippers are DIRTY.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4816 on: April 10, 2017, 02:31:53 PM »
I should have left when my last contract ended. I made a mistake staying.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline keldule

• Waygookin
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #4817 on: April 10, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
Maybe it's a Southern Ontario thing. Or a 90s thing. We always had to change shoes and if we were a portable class we'd wear our inside shoes from the portable, to the gym in the main school and back. They had to have white bottoms to them too so that when we used them for gym we wouldn't get black scuff marks all over the floor. I just wore black bottomed shows anyways to get out of gym class cuz I was a jerk.

I had to have indoor shoes in elementary, but that stopped when we went to junior high/ middle and high school.

My middle school here is filthy. Bunch of unsanitary middle school boys that have to "clean" the school for 10 minutes a day.

It's only character building if they don't half ass it, guys. Just hire a janitor already. -_-

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4818 on: April 10, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »

I had to have indoor shoes in elementary, but that stopped when we went to junior high/ middle and high school.

My middle school here is filthy. Bunch of unsanitary middle school boys that have to "clean" the school for 10 minutes a day.

It's only character building if they don't half ass it, guys. Just hire a janitor already. -_-

You're just bitter that you got a talking to over wearing your usual shoes to class ;)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4819 on: April 10, 2017, 02:51:09 PM »
I should have left when my last contract ended. I made a mistake staying.

This is what I'm worried about if I decide to renew...