December 17, 2017, 08:36:02 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 601399 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3840 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »
Not unusual for employers to do this.

Courts in Canada and elsewhere have established that there is no expectation of privacy on your employer provided computer.

Not sure of the local law, but would be surprised if it was different:

gidget

« Reply #3841 on: January 12, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »
Nope, not a hagwon, it'll be throughout the province. I understand them doing it, it feels like micromanaging, but I understand why they're doing it. I just want to know for sure.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3842 on: January 12, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
Koreans should be taught that the alphabet has 25 letters. There doesn't seem to be a need for y.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3843 on: January 12, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
Nope, not a hagwon, it'll be throughout the province. I understand them doing it, it feels like micromanaging, but I understand why they're doing it. I just want to know for sure.
Which province?

Rant: Can any of these kids think for themselves? We were playing a simple four corners game at the end of class, and the group of 10 kids all shuffled together from one corner to another. They just all do what the other people do. It's like that when they do art projects too.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #3844 on: January 12, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »
Rant: Can any of these kids think for themselves? We were playing a simple four corners game at the end of class, and the group of 10 kids all shuffled together from one corner to another. They just all do what the other people do. It's like that when they do art projects too.

The West: The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

The East: The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3845 on: January 12, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »

Yeah I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. But it does makes games and crafts rather boring when they all do the same thing.

Offline wanderingskald

• Adventurer
« Reply #3846 on: January 12, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »

Yeah I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. But it does makes games and crafts rather boring when they all do the same thing.

The best is when I give them examples and they still sit there with blank pieces of paper and just end up copying what I draw. 

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3847 on: January 12, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
Which province?

Yes.  Need to know.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3848 on: January 12, 2017, 02:41:06 PM »
Yes.  Need to know.
Gyeongsangbuk-do for sure, but I'm fairly certain that all public school IT departments are capable of calling up browser history records.

Big brother is watching you!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:47:23 PM by kyndo »

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #3849 on: January 12, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »
Koreans should be taught that the alphabet has 25 letters. There doesn't seem to be a need for y.

Korean kids just do not seem able to say the word "year," but they have no problem with other Y words.

This drives me nuts:

"Say it like this: his."
"Heees."
"His."
"Heeees."
"No, like this: his."
"Heeeeeeeees."
"Ok...fine, let's try some long E sounds then since you're so good at them! Say this: beach."
"Bitch."

:cry:

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3850 on: January 13, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »
I'm really looking forward to explaining to my computer-illiterate non-english speaking co-teacher that the computer screen upstairs and my computer downstairs are both fucked.

It's the touch screen upstairs that has the problem and I don't think she understands touch screen since she always touches the screen and gets shocked when the slides move.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3851 on: January 13, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »
Who, what, where, when, whow.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3852 on: January 13, 2017, 08:49:30 AM »
I'm really looking forward to explaining to my computer-illiterate non-english speaking co-teacher that the computer screen upstairs and my computer downstairs are both fucked.

It's the touch screen upstairs that has the problem and I don't think she understands touch screen since she always touches the screen and gets shocked when the slides move.

Yep that didn't work.  The screen was literally moving right in front of her face and she didn't understand.  She kept saying "the screen is fine now".  Guess I'll just suffer forever and it will only affect me since no one else uses that computer.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3853 on: January 13, 2017, 09:41:59 AM »
First day back after my trip home.

Walk in to find 2 live birds and one dead bird in the English classroom.

They wont put the heating on because there are no students and they suggest I move to one of the homerooms because they can control the heating themselves.

Probably moving schools in March but no one can give me an answer until...probably end of Feb.
Co-teacher said she's 99% sure I will have to move main schools but doesn't know about the rest. Unless things changed from last year, in which case she isn't actually sure. Coordinator is a damp squib so no point asking him.
Why. For once I was really happy with my schools and they are happy with me.

Before the vacation the principal asked me if i planned to stay with this school for the new semester...how the **** do you not know its not my choice.

FML :cry:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:45:40 AM by Pennypie »

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3854 on: January 13, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »

They wont put the heating on because there are no students and they suggest I move to one of the homerooms because they can control the heating themselves.

Probably moving schools in March but no one can give me an answer until...probably end of Feb.
Co-teacher said she's 99% sure I will have to move main schools but doesn't know about the rest. Unless things changed from last year, in which case she isn't actually sure. Coordinator is a damp squib so no point asking him.

Before the vacation the principal asked me if i planned to stay with this school for the new semester...how the **** do you not know its not my choice.

Sorry to hear that Pennypie.  :sad:  Sadly, there is no sentiment in the Korean education system.  I had the same two countryside middle schools for seven years, then they cut all middle school teachers in the province.  Loved the students and the tiny towns I worked in.  Got moved to a hell  :evil: of an elementary school.  Thanks!!  Now after a trip through girls middle now at a girls high school and couldn't be happier.  It really is a roller coaster, but on a positive note can show how you work in adversity.  Ups and downs, ups and downs.  Hope things work out in 2017!!   :-*

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3855 on: January 13, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »

Sorry to hear that Pennypie.  :sad:  Sadly, there is no sentiment in the Korean education system.  I had the same two countryside middle schools for seven years, then they cut all middle school teachers in the province.  Loved the students and the tiny towns I worked in.  Got moved to a hell  :evil: of an elementary school.  Thanks!!  Now after a trip through girls middle now at a girls high school and couldn't be happier.  It really is a roller coaster, but on a positive note can show how you work in adversity.  Ups and downs, ups and downs.  Hope things work out in 2017!!   :-*

Thanks  :azn: True, and I know that and really I should be used to it by now. I'm on my 3rd contract and I came just as everything was messing up so I've never experienced one school or the comfort  of knowing you will be able to  stay there. I feel sort of cheated.  Glad its all worked out! I imagine Middle to Elementary must be quite the shock.

I get used to it pretty quickly when I move and soon forget the old schools, I just really cant be arsed to meet new people.  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3856 on: January 13, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
I guess blocking phone numbers doesn't apply to texting?  :sad: Got a series of "helpful" messages from annoying git.

Just. Leave. Me. Alone.

*Edit: apparently blocking text messages is separate from blocking phone calls. Blocked and blocked! :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:17:21 AM by yirj17 »

Offline battletoasta

• Adventurer
« Reply #3857 on: January 16, 2017, 08:53:50 AM »
Battletoasta teacher can you please come back to school on the 16th of January. I would but the school is locked and no one is there.

Guess I'll try again another day.

48 days to go.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3858 on: January 16, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »
The next two days I have to work on editing kids articles for the English newspaper and I wish they would just write about dumb stuff instead of what they have written about because this is hard. My coteacher is telling me not to take it so seriously, it's just the English newspaper, but the thing is if I don't understand the facts (or non-facts) that my students are trying to get across, it's impossible for me to understand how to edit their articles.

Just spent a good amount of time trying to understand a student's writing that was saying something like "Japanese history books say Ahn Jung-Geun was an assassin, but Ito had the blood of Koreans on his hands, so why is he not considered an assassin too?" Uh well... because he's not an assassin, as far as I know. He didn't personally hold a gun and shoot any Korean politicians or activists, which would mean he is factually not an assassin. You could call him a murderer, sure, but not an assassin.

So I proposed changing the word "assassin" to murderer, but my coteacher didn't like that. Ahn Jung-Geun wasn't a murderer! How could you say that! Well, he did kill someone. According to the definition of murderer, he is one. Oh, but Koreans don't consider him a murderer. Well, this article is talking about JAPANESE perception of Korean history, not what Koreans think. Is murderer too emotionally charged? Do you want me to change it to killer? No, no, he's a... martyr, yeah, that's the word. But... Japanese people don't consider him a martyr, and this is about the Japanese perception, and also one is not a martyr because they killed someone, they are a martyr because they died. 

12 more articles to go  :cry:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3859 on: January 16, 2017, 09:13:50 AM »
You lost me! I'll assume I should just be understanding of the unique situation.  :P

Started the day without internet and resigned myself to using my phone. Fortunately the internet returned within an hour!