December 16, 2017, 03:36:26 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 600450 times)

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3800 on: January 09, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »
I wanted to renew for 2nd year here.
However, my open class back in September was supposed to get moved to December, but the school forgot and didn't do it.
Today I got told that I can't renew, because no one knows what to do if an employee misses their open class. When I asked for more clarification, I just got told: "it's a mix of when you started is a strange time, problems between city hall / education board, and teacher / student / principal's feelings towards you." or something. I had a good rapport with all my co-teachers, students, and principals.
I guess, I'll talk with my recruiter and see if I can get this sorted out, I'd love to stay in my area for 1 more year.

If not, I'll go back to NZ for a small break and try find something with an August start in Japan. :D

Sounds like the school screwed up & you got the fallout.  Sorry to hear that.  I hope things work out for you.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3801 on: January 09, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
I honestly feel like it shouldn't matter if your open class just didn't even happen. Hardly anyone showed up to mine (one other teacher and a random parent dropped by for hardly a minute) so it's not like that's what was really evaluated, in my case. Guess it just depends on how your sitch is perceived by those in power! Best of luck with that

At any rate, Japan is lovely so I hope you end up there at some point :)

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3802 on: January 09, 2017, 02:45:31 PM »
What I really don't understand is why people double down when you point out that they were in the wrong, or misunderstood something. Like once Chinguetti exhaustively explained the situation he could've been like "Oh wow, I'm sorry. That was inappropriate and not cool of me to say." instead of the standard "WELL, we can't REALLY know because we haven't heard HIS side of the story"  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The other day one of my friends back home posted a thing on facebook asking people not to support her ex's band because he's abusive and manipulative and actively seeks out younger girls. Some guy snarkily said like "Pretty sure I've seen you dancing to Chris Brown songs before" because he didn't realize that this was someone who had personally hurt her. After that misunderstanding was cleared up for some reason he... continued hassling her???

Men  :evil:

Because it's coming from somewhere else. Maybe he creeped a girl out and was forever angry that his "harmless compliments" resulted in him getting shut down. Maybe that guy on your friend's status wants to be able to seek out younger women and if other guys get called out for their bad behavior, he feels like his right to be an asshole is threatened. There's usually SOMETHING they think they connect to in whatever story made them angry that makes them get so defensive. So it's never really about the original story to begin with and clearing it up wont change anything once you set 'em off!

(and about 99% of the time that "thing" is when they feel like their right to be a creep or a jerk is threatened!)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3803 on: January 09, 2017, 02:46:39 PM »
However, my open class back in September was supposed to get moved to December, but the school forgot and didn't do it.
Today I got told that I can't renew, because no one knows what to do if an employee misses their open class. When I asked for more clarification, I just got told: "it's a mix of when you started is a strange time, problems between city hall / education board, and teacher / student / principal's feelings towards you." or something. I had a good rapport with all my co-teachers, students, and principals.
I guess, I'll talk with my recruiter and see if I can get this sorted out, I'd love to stay in my area for 1 more year.

If not, I'll go back to NZ for a small break and try find something with an August start in Japan. :D

WTF? I would be so pissed off. You're paying the price for their mistake, but then again, it's all about saving face here. :rolleyes: I hope everything works out for you and if it doesn't work out here, then I hope NZ and Japan prove to be far better for you.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3804 on: January 09, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
I honestly feel like it shouldn't matter if your open class just didn't even happen. Hardly anyone showed up to mine (one other teacher and a random parent dropped by for hardly a minute) so it's not like that's what was really evaluated, in my case. Guess it just depends on how your sitch is perceived by those in power! Best of luck with that

Cheers! I'll be going to Japan for my 3rd time in Jan, sadly just for a few days, was going to be longer because of vacation, but now it seems like I need to start moving my stuff back to NZ, so need to take stuff home and only get a small amount of time for vacation haha.

WTF? I would be so pissed off. You're paying the price for their mistake, but then again, it's all about saving face here. :rolleyes: I hope everything works out for you and if it doesn't work out here, then I hope NZ and Japan prove to be far better for you.

I'm a little upset TBH but, I'm someone who likes to plan things, so I always have back up plans to anything I deem important. Yeah, I agree. They even said that they may go on to hire a replacement to me. I even said, wouldn't it be easier to rehire me? My co-teacher said he wants to rehire me, but it isn't his decision to make. I'm hoping talking to my recruiter / the guy who does the hiring for my area will turn up something positive though!

Sounds like the school screwed up & you got the fallout.  Sorry to hear that.  I hope things work out for you.

Thanks! and yeah, it does seem like that. I know someone is leaving this year in my area, I don't know when, but hopefully, we can make something work to keep me in the area. I'd love to stay at my schools too, but it sounds like 'it's impossible' haha.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3805 on: January 09, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »

I think so too - my co-teacher was even telling me that "I don't really think the open class really matters." but, they have never been in this position before. haha.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3806 on: January 09, 2017, 03:45:45 PM »
Arrrgh. I finished off my last bag of wild berry skittles. Coupang and gmarket appear to only have original and sour flavors. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3807 on: January 09, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Jesus! Rushing for a subway seat here means much more than common courtesy.

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3808 on: January 09, 2017, 03:57:18 PM »
Jesus! Rushing for a subway seat here means much more than common courtesy.

Just getting off of the subway can be bad enough!

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3809 on: January 09, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »
One of my students literally lives in pig shit. It surrounds his house, you can't get in his house with out stepping in it.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3810 on: January 10, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
Meryl Streep.

What were you thinking?  :huh:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3811 on: January 10, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »
What I really don't understand is why people double down when you point out that they were in the wrong, or misunderstood something. Like once Chinguetti exhaustively explained the situation he could've been like "Oh wow, I'm sorry. That was inappropriate and not cool of me to say." instead of the standard "WELL, we can't REALLY know because we haven't heard HIS side of the story"  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Follow-up: I received a couple of nasty PMs from the guy. Not sure what he thought he was going to accomplish with that, but not one time did he ever admit that he was being a dick or that he should apologize for it. He just switched up who he was going to try to internet bully. xD

In other news, camp is still hell. I mean the kids are enjoying their activities, but it's just so much work for me. Between keeping constant surveillance and running interference and managing damage control while keeping the place CLEAN, I've been mentally exhausted. I don't think I'll be repeating these activities without a coT in the future. Sure, it's fun, but I feel like someone stuck me in a bag and slammed me against the wall a few times.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3812 on: January 10, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »

Follow-up: I received a couple of nasty PMs from the guy. Not sure what he thought he was going to accomplish with that, but not one time did he ever admit that he was being a dick or that he should apologize for it. He just switched up who he was going to try to internet bully. xD

Whyyyy are people like this

I'm sorry he was a dick  :undecided:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3813 on: January 10, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »
One of the kids messed with the alignment of the projector because instead of using a chair to turn it on he jumped up to press it to turn it on. Cot tried to fix it but couldn't get the alignment right and then somehow broke it so we're in the auxiliary English room using my computer for activities. This means I am sitting down and constantly having to look up and down between the kids and my computer and I feel sick as heck now.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3814 on: January 10, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »

It's fine, I had myself a laugh and am now in the process of "moving on with my life."

Offline kimchiyum

• Veteran
« Reply #3815 on: January 11, 2017, 07:36:23 AM »

It's fine, I had myself a laugh and am now in the process of "moving on with my life."

I called you out on why you think it's ok to troll and call others derogatory names, to which you respond by calling me derogatory names.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3816 on: January 11, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »
Oh, internet drama. I live for it.

When this whole tiff (kimchiyum vs moonbrie et al) started, I was initially thinking "Wow, this dude's a bit of a douche, isn't he." Then when he just doubled down instead of just admitting his mistake after things were clarified, I was just as annoyed and mystified as anyone else.

Then I got to thinking, though. People are saying he could've just been mature and admitted he was wrong, but was the initial response to him mature? When he jumped in and made a judgement without having the complete picture, two things could have happened:

1) Someone could've come in and calmly explained that he didn't have the whole picture, gave him a bit of backstory, then moved on. Or...

2) Someone could've come in all like "WTF dude you don't even know wtf you're talking about, don't rush to judgment because blablabla" in a fairly hostile manner.

Unfortunately, 2 is the tack that was taken, so his response afterwards is a little less surprising and a touch less unwarranted. We can't expect him to be calm and mature when calmness and maturity aren't what he was treated with to begin with.

Yes, his first comment was absolutely douchetastic, but he does have a point in saying that it isn't really reasonable to expect him to have the full backstory as presented over dozens of pages of a rant/vent megathread. People reacted without keeping that in mind, and then were surprised when he dug in his heels, which in retrospect is nearly as odd as his behavior seemed.

I'm not defending his initial comment here, of course. It was pretty tactless and uppitty, and taking it to nasty PMs kinda supports the idea that maybe he's just a bit of a douche. I just have more time than I know what to do with this week, so I thought I'd blabber on for a bit about the whole interaction.

Offline kimchiyum

• Veteran
« Reply #3817 on: January 11, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
Wow, someone reasonable. Thanks Mister Tim, even though you think I'm douchey! I'll get over that! To clear my name from the lies that Chinguetti has spread about me, let me explain myself. It feels like anytime I go on this thread, I see that girl (yirj17) talk about "creepo admin guy" and mock him for stuff that seems pretty normal, it sounds like he is just being friendly to her. It seemed childish to me. Hence my childish remark. However, when she explained her story, I didn't even get a second to comment back as Chinguetti started attacking me saying that I should let that girl just f**king rant and how dare I not read all of the posts to get the full picture. She then gloats about how she has flung a steaming pile of s*** on me in the PMs, calls me a dick, a hypocrite, I'm 100% wrong, yada yada yada. Not once did I name call... Ok, well I just sent "trashy" back. But I'm sorry, if someone can't even be questioned about something that they post about on this without everyone getting up in arms, what's the point. Is the forum that devoid of any critical thinking... I give up.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3818 on: January 11, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
@Mister Tim: Fair thoughts, though I think the judgmental tone in the initial comment just set up the dominoes for all else that happened.

I of course don't expect anyone here to remember or look up posting history, but when someone makes a comment, I don't automatically jump to conclusions... If anything, I would wonder what the backstory might be or if there's pieces I'm unaware of.

It's a ranting thread, so I was just whinging about an annoying thing and didn't feel the need to provide context. \_(ツ)_/

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3819 on: January 11, 2017, 08:40:17 AM »
@kimchiyum

actually, you probably missed the all the severe complaints. All that got lost when the previous ranting thread got deleted.

In summation, dude was hella creepy when I first got here, crossed boundaries (even the educational coordinator agreed the behavior was inappropriate), and so unfortunately anything that would seem like innocent questions or behavior from literally anyone else just gives me bad vibes and suspicion when coming from him. All I would like is for him to completely leave me alone. I thought he was just being friendly at first too. I was horribly mistaken, so now I don't want to give him any reason to think he could try his shenanigans again. Does that better explain things?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:42:28 AM by yirj17 »