December 15, 2017, 09:54:09 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 600190 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2860 on: November 30, 2016, 03:34:21 PM »
I had to proctor a math test today and caught three students cheating and took their tests from them. They thought this was the funniest thing and continued talking the rest of the period.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2861 on: November 30, 2016, 03:40:40 PM »

Today, we did chapter 6 "What will you do this summer vacation?" :

Me: I will get there by plane.
Ss: I will get there by plane.
CT: Or, 'I will get there by airplane' or 'I will get there by aircraft.'
Me: ... *give up*

Is it just me that thinks these are awkward?
Uhhhhh, you're on unit 6? You're SUPER BEHIND on the lessons. hahahah

Also, this.

Lol no, we finished the book, but now we're taking a day per lesson to review.
Oh ho. Figured it was something like that.

We realized we were going to quickly through the book, and didn't want to be left with nothing for February, so we've been stretching the same lesson out for about 3 weeks. It's pretty painful and everyone is bored to death of it.

Oh god, I feel sorry for everyone involved.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2862 on: December 01, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »
When you give candy as a reward (not a regular thing for me) and the little s*%ts have the audacity to scream about they don't want this candy, they want more candy and want to swop candy and get belligerent when they don't get more candy when they haven't even bothered to attempt to finish one basic task....

Last time anyone gets candy in my classroom. Back to high fives and "good job".
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #2863 on: December 01, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »
When you give candy as a reward (not a regular thing for me) and the little s*%ts have the audacity to scream about they don't want this candy, they want more candy and want to swop candy and get belligerent when they don't get more candy when they haven't even bothered to attempt to finish one basic task....

Teacher, I don't like this candy.

I can count the amount of times I got candy in Elem school on one hand. Buck up, Buttercup.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2864 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »

I can count the amount of times I got candy in Elem school on one hand. Buck up, Buttercup.
When I first came to this school, I had a grade 2 high schooler come up to me and ask where the candy was after a game, and even hold his hands out for it. Apparently the previous teacher handed it out all the time.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2865 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
I only ever got candy on Valentine's Day or Halloween back in primary, and it was normally from other students.

My middle school students criticize each other if they complain about the candy that they get. A few of them will even attempt to take candy away from students who dare to complain. Most will just give what they don't like to a friend and go without. Not sure at what point this behavior/expectation is imposed on them because it's not apparently coming from elementary school.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2866 on: December 01, 2016, 09:07:26 AM »

Haha!

I got a fuzzy bear once for making a super save in a football match at primary school.  That was it.  What a save though!

The Korean expression for when the students kick up a fuss is: (tough shit, basically)

찬밥 더운밥 가릴 때가 아니다
(chan bap de woon bap ga ril ddae ga an ni da)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2867 on: December 01, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
I recall getting candy in Elem. school but just for special occasions such as Halloween/Christmas or if you won a contest.

For my elem. kids, I only give them candy for Halloween/Christmas. The majority of them get delighted. The only complaint has been from one kid who doesn't like chocolate (I gave out Reese's mini cups for Halloween). Recently though, my coT has taken to giving the kids candy willy nilly... I give foreign candies tho, so at least my coT isn't giving out the same kind.

In middle school, candy for those two holidays, and at random as prizes for games but infrequently so that they don't expect candy every class. They're always pleased as punch whenever candy is involved, never any whinging about the kind.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2868 on: December 01, 2016, 09:21:19 AM »

When I first came to this school, I had a grade 2 high schooler come up to me and ask where the candy was after a game, and even hold his hands out for it. Apparently the previous teacher handed it out all the time.

I give it out all the time myself. However, my schools only want me doing games. So my classes are nothing more than a game for 45 minutes. (middle school). If I don't have a prize, I only get about 2 - 4 students trying (usually part of the same team), having candy as a prize gets most of the students trying.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2869 on: December 01, 2016, 09:26:06 AM »
I got candy all the time in elementary/middle school. I had a middle school math teacher who had an endless supply of swedish fish and everyone loved him. But it never crossed my mind to complain about the candy I got when I inevitably ended up with a ****** grape jolly rancher. I surely never asked for more, and I don't recall seeing anyone complain to the teacher about what flavor they got.

Here, I've seen students storm a teachers desk to find more candy, rip open bags and go in her desk while she laughs nervously and they walk away with what they've stolen saying "THANK YOU TEACHER!" After seeing that, I rarely give out prizes anymore. I'm stunned by how ungrateful students can be.

At one point last year, I gave some students in an after school class chocopies for winning in a game (I gave out more food and stuff during after school programs because I know a lot of them don't eat dinner until very late & are hungry while they wait for their academy classes to start) and they were disappointed that the prize was JUST a chocopie. What were they expecting? A full fried chicken meal?

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2870 on: December 01, 2016, 09:37:07 AM »
This is a weird rant. I'm not angry but I still think it's pretty f*cked up.

At 5am this morning I was awoken by a woman's loud scream from outside my building. I got up, opened my window and looked around. There was nothing going on except some people walking in the streets, completely unfazed. But it's a scary thing to wake up to someone screaming, so I could not get back to sleep even though she only screamed once.

The thing is, this happens semi often. I hear a woman's scream at some ridiculous time of the night, look outside, see nothing, hear nothing else, and see no one else looking from their windows. I thought I was just imagining it but there is no way, sometimes the scream is accompanied by Korean words that I don't understand. I never hear what is causing the scream.

Are women being attacked on the streets around me? Is it just one woman who keeps doing it? It's not like angry yelling, it's the kind of scream you'd hear if someone was afraid or getting hurt. Why is this happening so often? Am I participating in the bystander effect by not doing anything? Wtf can I do? Where I'm at, any sound from anywhere in the surrounding blocks sounds like it's coming from right outside my window, even if it's not. I have no idea what to do, but I wish it would stop happening.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2871 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
Our lunch schedule changed so now on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I'll have five classes back to back, then finally lunch at 1:15.  :cry: I'm gonna have to bring a snack to eat between classes.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2872 on: December 01, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
Here, I've seen students storm a teachers desk to find more candy, rip open bags and go in her desk while she laughs nervously and they walk away with what they've stolen saying "THANK YOU TEACHER!" After seeing that, I rarely give out prizes anymore. I'm stunned by how ungrateful students can be.
I caught students stealing from my candy stash once before and I never gave that class anything again and made sure they knew why.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2873 on: December 01, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
I caught students stealing from my candy stash once before and I never gave that class anything again and made sure they knew why.

Well this particular class will never get candy again... NEVER

* but then I had a saving grace class that also were shocked to get candy, and kept thanking me over and over...??
-A.A. Milne

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2874 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »

* but then I had a saving grace class that also were shocked to get candy, and kept thanking me over and over...??
If the kids aren't greatful for candy, no more candy, winning team gets to leave 2 minutes early while the losing team cleans up the room. BWAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2875 on: December 01, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
Yeah the candy culture here blows my mind. Getting rewards for doing the bare minimum of what is asked. Unreal.

I share an office with a teacher who is known for having a drawer of treats and so the same six or seven students will bring their screeching and general noise pollution in during the breaks to beg for food like they're stray cats. Those 10 minutes of relative peace are totally shot.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2876 on: December 01, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »

If the kids aren't greatful for candy, no more candy, winning team gets to leave 2 minutes early while the losing team cleans up the room. BWAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW

This is my usual strategy. Will stick with it me thinks!
-A.A. Milne

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2877 on: December 01, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »
Which one of you twerps told my principal "Oh, in Gyeonggi-Do we stay at school until 5 even during the vacation! Herp derp!"?

According to my CoT, it was a foreigner.

Now, in typical Gyeonggi see, Gyeonggi do fashion, it looks like I'll be doing exorbitant amounts of deskwarming this vacation that they never saw fit to make me do before they knew Gyeonggi did it.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2878 on: December 01, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Yeah the candy culture here blows my mind. Getting rewards for doing the bare minimum of what is asked. Unreal.

Meh, I use it to my advantage. As much as I would like to say that I constantly get my students' rapt attention and 100% effort, that's not always the case. That's where candy comes in to play. Fortunately for me, candy is candy in their mind. They don't seem to care about quality. So I just buy the cheapest candy in the greatest quantity. What amounts to like 100 won a class: Saves me a ton of time and gets me the participation of "I hate school" students. Win-win situation for all those involved.

As for the unfortunate scenario of the students expecting candy for every little thing, that has been remedied by a "random" number generator   :cheesy:

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #2879 on: December 01, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
Candy is literally the best thing ever.