December 15, 2017, 10:03:26 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 600198 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2840 on: November 30, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
Something is wrong (with the water pressure??) because all of the toilets in the school are out of order.

Every. Single. One.

That's when school should be canceled

I'm now hearing loud gurgling and plunging noises (bathrooms are across the hall). I guess they're being attended to... sounds pretty gross

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2841 on: November 30, 2016, 01:45:17 PM »
I don't like to complain much, but one thing that deeply bothers me is the custom of not removing the removable tags from the sleeves of winter coats. Like, you know when you buy a wool coat, and there's a small name label on the sleeve that is very lightly held on by a couple of threads, because you're supposed to remove it? SO MANY PEOPLE LEAVE IT ON AND IT'S LITERALLY THE WORST.

It's so... bad.

Lol sometimes even on suits. I don't really care but I kind of internally chortle. At my old job I removed a lot of such labels.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2842 on: November 30, 2016, 01:52:20 PM »
I don't like to complain much, but one thing that deeply bothers me is the custom of not removing the removable tags from the sleeves of winter coats. Like, you know when you buy a wool coat, and there's a small name label on the sleeve that is very lightly held on by a couple of threads, because you're supposed to remove it? SO MANY PEOPLE LEAVE IT ON AND IT'S LITERALLY THE WORST.

It's so... bad.

Lol sometimes even on suits. I don't really care but I kind of internally chortle. At my old job I removed a lot of such labels.

I have seen Mexicans that leave them on too.

The thinking must me "Nobody will see the inside tag, so I better keep that one on so everybody will know it is a genuine [outlet mall, 2nd-tier, off-the-rack, made in Vietnam...]

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2843 on: November 30, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »

It's so... bad.

Imagine literally paying hundreds of thousands of won for something and not taking off the tags.

Ugh. UGH.

Is this similar to people who leave all the plastic on their new car?  Or on the computers and tvs?  Or any other dynamic looking piece of software?  I had an old co-teacher who bought a new Avante and for a year he left all of the factory-fitted plastic on the doors and other parts. 

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2844 on: November 30, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »
Hanword or whatever the f it's called.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2845 on: November 30, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
Imagine literally paying hundreds of thousands of won for something and not taking off the tags.

Ugh. UGH.
Is this similar to people who leave all the plastic on their new car?  Or on the computers and tvs?  Or any other dynamic looking piece of software?  I had an old co-teacher who bought a new Avante and for a year he left all of the factory-fitted plastic on the doors and other parts.

No, because I think what #based is talking about involves people who want to flaunt and show off what they have (LOOKATWHATIBOUGHTITWASREALEXPENSIVE), while people who leave on all that plastic on new cars and electronics are just doing it to protect it.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2846 on: November 30, 2016, 02:46:56 PM »
Finally managed to place my first order with coupang.

It took forever. I had to keep going back and forth between my personal computer and my school computer to get everything set up because of security software.

I ****ing wish Korea would finally start implementing proper internet security protocols that are both updated and universal and all encompassing. **** this current bullshit.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #2847 on: November 30, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »

Hanword won't let me copy something from the internet and put it into the doc. When  even something as rudimentary as copy/paste doesn't work, you know you're in the shitter.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2848 on: November 30, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »

Hanword won't let me copy something from the internet and put it into the doc. When  even something as rudimentary as copy/paste doesn't work, you know you're in the shitter.

Curious.

Have you tried copy/pasting the text in notepad first, changing the font to something like Calibri (or one of the Korean fonts listed), and then copying from notepad to hanword?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2849 on: November 30, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »
Finally managed to place my first order with coupang.

It took forever. I had to keep going back and forth between my personal computer and my school computer to get everything set up because of security software.

I ****ing wish Korea would finally start implementing proper internet security protocols that are both updated and universal and all encompassing. **** this current bullshit.

Yeah. For all my Korean website stuff, I do it on my phone. It's honestly so much less miserable than doing it on your desktop with a billion security programs. If I do stuff on my phone, it's like... usually pretty painless.

My phone is shit. I know what phone I want to get and everything, but I keep putting it off because I don't want to spend the money. It's gonna have to happen in the next month or so, though, because I'm going to end up breaking my phone by then.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2850 on: November 30, 2016, 02:59:05 PM »
Stupid co-teacher teaching the kids wierd phrases. Not technically incorrect, I guess, but in context, I don't think it's appropriate. Maybe others can correct me? We're reviewing the lessons and yesterday we did chapter 5 "What's Wrong?" (grade six):

Me: What's the problem?
Ss: What's the problem?
CT: Or, you can say 'What's your problem?'
Me: Well, that could be taken the wrong way. *I proceed to explain that 'What's the problem?' is closer to 'What's the matter' versus 'What's your problem?' which sounds confrontational*
CT: It's depends on the situation.
Me: Yes, and it changes the meaning. It's not incorrect but it would most likely come off the wrong way if you actually said that to someone.
CT: Okay, class. Repeat after me: What's your problem?
Me: *mentally cursing CT*

Today, we did chapter 6 "What will you do this summer vacation?" :

Me: I will get there by plane.
Ss: I will get there by plane.
CT: Or, 'I will get there by airplane' or 'I will get there by aircraft.'
Me: ... *give up*

Is it just me that thinks these are awkward?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2851 on: November 30, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »

No, those are definitely awkward and aren't proper for natural, conversational English.

Especially for "What's your problem?" This is almost always used in confrontational situations (and acts to assign blame to the person it's directed at), and wouldn't be proper to use in a casual conversation.

As for "airplane"... they can get away with it, but it sounds elementary. And "aircraft" is kind of too general because there are many different types of aircrafts that aren't planes. xD No one uses that.

It kind of sounds like your coT just wants to sound smart or upstage you, especially since she's doing nothing to actually educate the kids in proper usage.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:08:22 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2852 on: November 30, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »
Stupid co-teacher teaching the kids wierd phrases. Not technically incorrect, I guess, but in context, I don't think it's appropriate. Maybe others can correct me? We're reviewing the lessons and yesterday we did chapter 5 "What's Wrong?" (grade six):

Me: Well, that could be taken the wrong way. *I proceed to explain that 'What's the problem?' is closer to 'What's the matter' versus 'What's your problem?' which sounds confrontational*
Me: Yes, and it changes the meaning. It's not incorrect but it would most likely come off the wrong way if you actually said that to someone.

Yirga, why didn't you just turn to her, stone-faced and say 'What is your problem?' as the absolute perfect use of that sentence?  Before throwing a desk through the window, and shouting 'Zeppellin Rules!' with your bullshorn finger salute as you rock out the door.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2853 on: November 30, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »

For the first one. I'd just say that it is wrong, for the reasons you mentioned. Explaining the differences would be better suited for higher levels.

They do sound rather awkward though haha.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #2854 on: November 30, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »

I had to just change all my camp documents to hanword per the request of the camp teacher, who cannot speak any English. It took almost an entire day. Also, that program has an obscene amount of spyware.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2855 on: November 30, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »

Man "aircraft" is killing me for some reason. And yeah, I can't think of a context where "What's your problem?" doesn't sound confrontational. Reminds me of one of the window shades in my classroom with a doctor saying, "What's the matter with you?" to some kid. Same thing. Not technically wrong but suuuuuper loaded.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #2856 on: November 30, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »

Uhhhhh, you're on unit 6? You're SUPER BEHIND on the lessons. hahahah

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2857 on: November 30, 2016, 03:26:08 PM »

I had to just change all my camp documents to hanword per the request of the camp teacher, who cannot speak any English. It took almost an entire day. Also, that program has an obscene amount of spyware.

I... I don't think it does.
I don't know if it has spyware, though it wouldn't surprise me if it does, but those Hancom products are famous for being super vulnerbale to malware and as a backdoor to bad stuff.
Which would be half way forgivable if wasn't one of the worst pieces of software on planet earth.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:29:19 PM by zola »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2858 on: November 30, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
Okay, good to know I'm not just losing my English abilities. ;P For the record, my CT is a guy haha He's the only one this year that I really have any issues with and they're not huge problems so I'm lucky, I guess, but it annoys me that he does this. I never used to correct him during class because he would ask me beforehand but at some point he started getting a little too confident and stopped consulting with me at all. Even when I was explaining to him the difference between 'What's the problem' and 'What's your problem' he just kind of shrugged it off like 'You don't know what you're talking about.' :rolleyes:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2859 on: November 30, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »

Uhhhhh, you're on unit 6? You're SUPER BEHIND on the lessons. hahahah

Also, this.

Lol no, we finished the book, but now we're taking a day per lesson to review.