December 17, 2017, 08:32:55 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 601398 times)

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2640 on: November 22, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »
yeh fussy people are the worst. big, overgrown children. The only people worse than them are fat, fussy people, who whine about the local food and so go to macdonalds. Awful slime
Well, I have always been a picky eater, so it's not like I am being unduly harsh with regards to Korean food.

That said, it's hard to believe that anyone would care about what another person chooses to eat or not eat.

I mean, it's not like it effects you in any way, shape, or form.  Why care?

As far as food here goes, I have mentioned this before, but the major issues with Korean "cuisine" served in restaurants is the lack of cleanliness/food sanitation, the lack of education and awareness with regards to food handling, and the lack of government oversight, i.e. food handling permits, inspections, etc.

I'm very surprised that it doesn't concern anyone when they use the same contaminated scissors that cut the raw meat (chicken, pork) to cut the cooked meat?

That's dangerous and dumb.

It would be nice if more places had tables and chairs, so one wouldn't have to sit on the ground, although I appreciate the "ambiance" it can create for visitors to Korea.

Hopefully, most are already very aware of the practice of recycling food in restaurants.  Some don't have a problem with it, like they don't mind 5 people sharing 1 bowl of soup.

Sorry, but that is more than a little disgusting.

If they would do away with the "free" side dishes, the practice of recycling food would greatly diminish.

As others have mentioned, Korea's "culinary" history is truly quite short.  Give them a couple hundred more years, and they will have all the kinks worked out.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2641 on: November 22, 2016, 07:51:45 PM »
I'm British and even I think the food here is shit, that must be saying something.

Just how dare you Jack.  The cheek of the Roxby.  Us Brits are all over the good food.  Cornish pasties and fish and chips, and pies.  Oh, the pies.  Did you eat all the pies Jack?  Is that it?

I've become sooooo defensive about British food since living here. I will sing the praises of every single British dish to any Korean that dare tell me our food is bad. Even if, and sometimes especially if, I think that food is bad myself.

:laugh: :laugh: This reminds me...

I met a Korean guy who lived abroad in England for most of his uni experience. He came back hating the food, but then went on to say that England had achieved nothing in any area of history or culture.

According to him, the UK had done nothing of note in the world of music, art, education, literature, pop culture... nothing. He told me the UK has excelled at nothing.

I wanted to ask him if that's the case, why are your parents spending their life savings to send you there for education?

Oh and another bit of cultural wisdom from him, Busan deserves the title of "City of Light" more than any other country in the world.

Korea's favourite passtimes:

Watch Tv - Invented by a UK man John Logie Baird.

Use a computer - has its origins in the "Difference Engine" developed by Charles Babbage, a man from the UK, and the mpdern computer was fathered by Alan Turing anothe UK man.

Surf the internet - Tim Berners-Lee, guess where he comes from?

Watching girls in mini skirts - Made popular (and named) by Mary Quant (UK lass) in the 1960s

Basically, The UK invented the Korean idea of relaxation (minus the soju).  What more does the guy want?

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2642 on: November 23, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
yeh fussy people are the worst. big, overgrown children. The only people worse than them are fat, fussy people, who whine about the local food and so go to macdonalds. Awful slime
Well, I have always been a picky eater, so it's not like I am being unduly harsh with regards to Korean food.

That said, it's hard to believe that anyone would care about what another person chooses to eat or not eat.

I mean, it's not like it effects you in any way, shape, or form.  Why care?

As far as food here goes, I have mentioned this before, but the major issues with Korean "cuisine" served in restaurants is the lack of cleanliness/food sanitation, the lack of education and awareness with regards to food handling, and the lack of government oversight, i.e. food handling permits, inspections, etc.

I'm very surprised that it doesn't concern anyone when they use the same contaminated scissors that cut the raw meat (chicken, pork) to cut the cooked meat?

That's dangerous and dumb.

It would be nice if more places had tables and chairs, so one wouldn't have to sit on the ground, although I appreciate the "ambiance" it can create for visitors to Korea.

Hopefully, most are already very aware of the practice of recycling food in restaurants.  Some don't have a problem with it, like they don't mind 5 people sharing 1 bowl of soup.

Sorry, but that is more than a little disgusting.

If they would do away with the "free" side dishes, the practice of recycling food would greatly diminish.

As others have mentioned, Korea's "culinary" history is truly quite short.  Give them a couple hundred more years, and they will have all the kinks worked out.

They recycle food here?? What the ****??

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2643 on: November 23, 2016, 08:16:13 AM »
Eat recycled food. It's good for the environment, and ok for you.

Seriously though, the way it works for people who don't know, If you don't eat all your side dishes, then they just take them away and top them up, and use them for the next person.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2644 on: November 23, 2016, 08:19:42 AM »
Eat recycled food. It's good for the environment, and ok for you.

Seriously though, the way it works for people who don't know, If you don't eat all your side dishes, then they just take them away and top them up, and use them for the next person.

So if someone with a cold is eating from a side dish of whatever, and they finish, and then the restaurant goes and tops it off and gives it to me, you're telling me it's okay for me? Have you lost your mind?

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2645 on: November 23, 2016, 08:27:07 AM »
No, I haven't lost my mind.  At least, I don't think so ;)

IT is one of the major reasons why we don't really dine out here.

It used to be blatant, but these days they are very discrete.

Same thing happens with unfinished cocktails, which get dumped into a bucket, later to be mixed with other stuff and given out as "special" drinks.

It's DANGEROUS!

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2646 on: November 23, 2016, 08:51:23 AM »

...... you're telling me it's okay for me? Have you lost your mind?

I'm not saying it's ok for you or any person at all, but as most of us know, what is ok and acceptable in the civilized world may be different in Korea.

If you don't get the "eat recycled food it's good for the environment and ok for you" joke, check it out:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNw95c75g7o
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:54:59 AM by z80 »

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2647 on: November 23, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »
What the ****, so it's common practice for them to re-use food served to other customers?

I never really ate out very much to begin with, but now...

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2648 on: November 23, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »

...... you're telling me it's okay for me? Have you lost your mind?

I'm not saying it's ok for you or any person at all, but as most of us know, what is ok and acceptable in the civilized world may be different in Korea.

If you don't get the "eat recycled food it's good for the environment and ok for you" joke, check it out:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNw95c75g7o

Oh sorry, totally did not get the reference.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2649 on: November 23, 2016, 09:43:21 AM »
Getting harder and harder to hide my disbelief when an 8th grader - presumably with at least five years of English education (or exposure if you prefer) - can't produce ANY answer for "What do you do in your free time?"

:blank:

Offline jcrplyler

• Explorer
  • Bleh.
« Reply #2650 on: November 23, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »
I'm generalizing, but most of my friends here are from the UK; hardly ANY of them actually like Korean food. On the contrary, the few Americans I know here (myself included) rather enjoy Korean food (it's becoming trendy in the US; I'm not sure if it is as well in the UK).

I've also noticed a good number of my UK friends cannot handle very spicy food, and a lot of Korean food is a bit spicy.

I wonder if folks from the UK are less likely to get on with Korean food given that UK cuisine is a bit milder in nature (which, personally, I find to be quite delicious). Granted, a couple of my UK friends just kept eating 김치 until it finally started tasting good to them, and now they quite like Korean food.

But yeah. Just some thoughts.
No damn cat. No damn cradle.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2651 on: November 23, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »
Getting harder and harder to hide my disbelief when an 8th grader - presumably with at least five years of English education (or exposure if you prefer) - can't produce ANY answer for "What do you do in your free time?"

Ugh. I have the same problem with some of my high schoolers. I get that English isn't the best program here and some kids literally could not care less about it, but that they can't even put a couple words together? Can't understand even "Where's your notebook?" or even easier things without having it translated blows my mind.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2652 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:20 AM »
I've got third grade middle schoolers who still don't know how to answer, "How are you?"

A few of them don't even know the alphabet.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2653 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »
I wish the seasons would hurry up and finish transitioning.  This whole jumping back and forth between freezing cold and sweater weather every day is wrecking my sinuses, and it'd be nice to go one f*cking day without a headache.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2654 on: November 23, 2016, 10:59:22 AM »

Imagine the feeling when you have the same experience with university students...

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2655 on: November 23, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »
Children start learning English by age 4: report
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20110830000717

Offline chris0206

• Veteran
« Reply #2656 on: November 23, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Restaurants now DON'T recycle their food as much now as they used to.  As it has been made illegal.  Yes I know this means very little/nothing in this country. But Koreans are also against the idea of recycling food so restaurants know if they are caught they will get less costumers.

I haven't been to a restaurant that recycles its food in years.

Don't worry and ff you do see a restaurant recycling food you can report them or find another restaurant.   

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2657 on: November 23, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
Yeah honestly I have some friends coming to visit in the next couple months and I don't even know what I'm going to show them. I so rarely eat out because it's crap which means I've got one BBQ experience and maybe a trip to the bulgogi tents and then it's like "So I make some great hummus..." after that.  :sad:
Jimddak, Gamjatang, pajeon/hobakjeon/haemuljeon, shabu-shabu etc...

There's plenty of stuff to try out, and a lot of it isn't so shocking to Western sensibilities.

Then again, most of the folk I know aren't super picky eaters. I always pity the folk who are: by telling themselves that everything is disgusting, they're missing out on so many awesome experiences!  :undecided:

I had shabu-shabu once and I looooove it

Gamjatang is one of my favorite foods ever. Shabu shabu, dalkgalbi, chapchae, pajeon etc. are also awesome.

Near my school is this awesome lil mom and pop place that does smoked pork bulgogi-ish (sans horrendous amount of sweet sauce). I can't recall the exact name of the dish but it's literally one of the best things I've eaten in Seoul.

It took a lot of experimenting but there are a ton of little restaurants that are amazing but it took me awhile to go through all the restaurants nearby and sort wheat from chaff.

Oh and bossam. Bossam is amazing.

I will agree with whoever said samgyetang is nasty. That is one that I can't stand. (Though I'm not a big fan of the 'clear' soups in general.)

Whoa whoa back up. I didn't say samgyetang is nasty at all. Just highly overrated. It's a food that's good. It's not a culinary milestone like the Korean food promoters would have people believe.

Also, are you thinking of 불백 for the bulgogi-ish thing? Like just some fire grilled pork served with sides and rice? Love that.

I always think it's funny how what you're raised on affects how you feel about food. I grew up eating beef tongue, heart, oxtails, liver, etc. Basically every part of the cow. I also ate lots of non-Western style food, so was exposed to things like fried intestine, crab, sushi, octopus, jellyfish, etc from a young age, so it's never been 'exotic' for me. But what I didn't have growing up was frozen, processed food, like chicken nuggets or pizza pockets or whatever. Or like, cake and cookies and candy and stuff like that. So I find those things kind of unappetizing, at best, or disgusting (candy) at worst.

Lol, in that case let me ftfy, samgyetang is nasty. Problem solved :P
I have an especially deep hatred of it since it's my wife's favorite and therefore unavoidable...

And yes, 불백 is it. The place I have in mind does 보리밥 instead of regular rice which is a bonus to the meat. The couple who runs it have been there forever and there daughter is married to an American guy. They've been uber friendly every time we go there (which I did with my school the first time.) I can also throw a stone and hit it from my house which is also nice.

I'm in the opposite boat as you. My family ate a lot of chicken as a kid. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked in the oven to be exact. I can only stomach it occasionally now since I think it was overdone as a kid.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2658 on: November 23, 2016, 12:09:40 PM »
I'm British and even I think the food here is shit, that must be saying something.

Just how dare you Jack.  The cheek of the Roxby.  Us Brits are all over the good food.  Cornish pasties and fish and chips, and pies.  Oh, the pies.  Did you eat all the pies Jack?  Is that it?

I've become sooooo defensive about British food since living here. I will sing the praises of every single British dish to any Korean that dare tell me our food is bad. Even if, and sometimes especially if, I think that food is bad myself.

:laugh: :laugh: This reminds me...

I met a Korean guy who lived abroad in England for most of his uni experience. He came back hating the food, but then went on to say that England had achieved nothing in any area of history or culture.

According to him, the UK had done nothing of note in the world of music, art, education, literature, pop culture... nothing. He told me the UK has excelled at nothing.

I wanted to ask him if that's the case, why are your parents spending their life savings to send you there for education?

Oh and another bit of cultural wisdom from him, Busan deserves the title of "City of Light" more than any other country in the world.

This guy must have been the life and soul of the parties at uni.  I bet he was f*cking hilarious when he was stoned....

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2659 on: November 23, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »
I've got third grade middle schoolers who still don't know how to answer, "How are you?"

A few of them don't even know the alphabet.

I have a few of those myself. :/