December 11, 2017, 05:25:05 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594853 times)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »
My CT is sitting next to me chewing and slurping ice cubes. I keep putting my ear buds in, and turning on music full ball. EVERY time I manage to get the them in, she taps me to ask me something then proceeds to chew and slurp as I answer her.

I don't know if this is just really annoying and would irritate anybody or if I have just reached the point of no return with this woman, and soon her breathing will annoy me.  :rolleyes:

I would probably stare at her mouth the whole time and hope she notices me passive aggressively telling her to stop it. That's so rude (your CT). Another thing I really hate is when people (I've only experienced this a few times in Korea but it happens frequently back home) snap their gum. I don't know if that's the right term for it but it sounds like constant clicking or like tiny bugs tapping against a light bulb in an abandoned warehouse. This ajumma was doing that in a crowded subway and I stared at her until she stopped and moved away. SO FUCKING ANNOYING.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »
I have 12 days of camp - 4 hours each day.  48 hours of camp.  Is this even normal?

I have 10 days with 4 hours each day. :cry: Not as bad as your situation, but it's almost there.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »
I have 12 days of camp - 4 hours each day.  48 hours of camp.  Is this even normal?

I have 10 days with 4 hours each day. :cry: Not as bad as your situation, but it's almost there.

My school originally wanted me to do 9 days with 5 hours each day, but then they realized I'd be going over my 22/wk and would have to pay overtime, so they knocked it down to 4 hours each day.

Thank gawd?

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that they wanted me to teach an additional 3 days of camp for the teachers (at around 3-4 hours each day), so that would have put me at 12 days total. This got canceled because the school forgot that I had some extra vacation days owed me.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:21:50 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2016, 10:14:53 AM »
Seriously.  Sometimes when i get to work my computer won't turn on because one of the power strips is turned off for some reason or one of the cords is unplugged.  Today my computer started up but my monitor wouldn't turn on.  I checked all the cords which were all fine, though I burned myself on the electric kettle in the process.  So I had to tell my ct and she suggested I pull out the computer tower and unplug and replug everything back in.  We both tried and the keyboard plug would absolutely not go back in.  So she gets some other office lady involved who puts my keyboard in the recycle bin and gives me a brand new one.  I'm pretty sure mine was fine but okay... Then she dicked around some more and got the monitor working.  It's just annoying to come in and not have my computer turn on immediately.  I don't know why they have to mess with all the cords around my desk.  What if I would've come in early to work on stuff as I frequently do?

My wife (used to) do this with the power chord for my TV and Xbox combo. It's to save power. I understand your frustration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord
Real glad you were here to contribute to the conversation.
I aim to please.  Thank you, too, for your contribution.

Besides, there's nothing like injecting a little humour into a thread that is generally baseless whining.

Tbf, I found it amusing. I also was made aware of a mistake I've probably been making since forever. Two birds, one stone.

Gasian

« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2016, 10:19:29 AM »
My CT is sitting next to me chewing and slurping ice cubes. I keep putting my ear buds in, and turning on music full ball. EVERY time I manage to get the them in, she taps me to ask me something then proceeds to chew and slurp as I answer her.

I don't know if this is just really annoying and would irritate anybody or if I have just reached the point of no return with this woman, and soon her breathing will annoy me.  :rolleyes:

I would probably stare at her mouth the whole time and hope she notices me passive aggressively telling her to stop it. That's so rude (your CT). Another thing I really hate is when people (I've only experienced this a few times in Korea but it happens frequently back home) snap their gum. I don't know if that's the right term for it but it sounds like constant clicking or like tiny bugs tapping against a light bulb in an abandoned warehouse. This ajumma was doing that in a crowded subway and I stared at her until she stopped and moved away. SO FUCKING ANNOYING.

Oh God yes! that gum smacking is horrible!! HORRIBLE.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »

Also, am I the only one who thinks the smell of gum is disgusting?

And it's so much stronger when people are masticating it loudly with their mouths wide open.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »
They made me eat a stupid unripe sour plum.  And everyone was standing around crunching and smacking saying mashisayooooo. 

Also, I don't know why my co-teacher feels the need to tear up every piece of paper into 100 pieces before throwing it away.  We have a shredder, but also I doubt anyone gives a shit to dig through the garbage and read your bs.

#minorannoyances

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »

And it's so much stronger when people are masticating it loudly with their mouths wide open.

Once the flavor of the gum fades I find it actually leaves a wierder smell in your mouth, so yeah, I agree. I don't like gum, anyway. Ugh, and when people chew gum it makes this squishy, sloshy, hair-raising sound that makes me want to punch every living creature on the planet.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
They made me eat a stupid unripe sour plum.  And everyone was standing around crunching and smacking saying mashisayooooo. 

Also, I don't know why my co-teacher feels the need to tear up every piece of paper into 100 pieces before throwing it away.  We have a shredder, but also I doubt anyone gives a shit to dig through the garbage and read your bs.

#minorannoyances

My girlfriend will do this with receipts. I don't understand. Your name is not on it, and it's only the last 4 numbers of your 16 digit card number. She's worried about identity theft.

It's like me giving someone a combination lock (the old highschool locker ones)  and just saying 17 (not even clockwise or counter, or what number 17 is in the three number sequence. JUST 17).

There's no way they're going to open that lock. Am I insane here?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
So it turns out our vacation is starting two days earlier than was originally planned. In any other situation, this would be cause for celebration, but because of our contracts, it doesn't actually mean anything to me other than...more sitting around. yay.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »
I wish I could just heavily sedate myself on meds for the rest of the year.

Online Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2016, 11:26:21 AM »

This

Gasian

« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2016, 11:29:39 AM »

Once the flavor of the gum fades I find it actually leaves a wierder smell in your mouth, so yeah, I agree. I don't like gum, anyway. Ugh, and when people chew gum it makes this squishy, sloshy, hair-raising sound that makes me want to punch every living creature on the planet.

I just find gum disgusting in general. Sticky stuff smacked around in a mouth, coated in saliva, which ultimately some stupid asshat spits on the floor or sticks under something.  It's just gross man!

I'm going home for vacation. I intend seeing my GP to do just this. If I come back. Part of me is really worried I will just stay home.

Online kimchi_mandu

• Veteran
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2016, 11:36:27 AM »

Oh god yes.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2016, 11:42:57 AM »

Oh god yes.
This is weird.  I've been here a while, but I have never felt like this.  The occasional annoyance, but nothing major.

Now I feel exactly like this, and I have noticed a few other people saying the same thing.

I feel like it's the beginning of the end and nobody cares anymore, so everything's going downhill (like working conditions).  It's very strange.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2016, 12:17:49 PM »

Oh god yes.
This is weird.  I've been here a while, but I have never felt like this.  The occasional annoyance, but nothing major.

Now I feel exactly like this, and I have noticed a few other people saying the same thing.

I feel like it's the beginning of the end and nobody cares anymore, so everything's going downhill (like working conditions).  It's very strange.

I'm halfway through my third contract, which I know is not as long as some of the veterans on this site, but I've started feeling like this a few months ago. Waking up in the morning has become the worst part of the day. It always was, but now more than ever.

Just counting down the days... months... :blank:

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »
I had to do a poo at work today because I ate the school lunch.

Why can't they get toilet paper right? Do they think they are saving 100won by buying the Nanuri jumbo roll?

I practically had to use half of this roll to get a clean wipe.

Now I think I have worked out why some of my students go walking around smelling like shit all day.

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »
My allergies have been out of control lately. My nose is in a serious amount of pain from blowing it so much. I never had allergies back home but apparently I'm super allergic to July in Korea. Anyone else having trouble? I'm trying to figure out if it's outside stuff, stuff in my air conditioner, or if I suddenly developed a severe allergy to my cat (please god no). Took allergy meds the other day before school and was so dopey I literally almost passed out in the middle of my class  :cry:
Life is hard.

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »

Oh god yes.

I'm halfway through my third contract, which I know is not as long as some of the veterans on this site, but I've started feeling like this a few months ago. Waking up in the morning has become the worst part of the day. It always was, but now more than ever.

Just counting down the days... months... :blank:

I relate so much to all of this. It's my second year and it is much harder for me this year than it was last year (and last year was a challenge). Getting up in the morning is so hard. I practise positive thinking, go out of my way to do things I like/keep up with my hobbies, plan things for weekends etc, write words of affirmation all over the place, but I'm still drowning in this depressive episode right now. (Didn't help that I was super sick last week and I reacted poorly to the meds, getting a skin rash. Plus I think I have a tummy bug at the moment. *whinge whinge*)

I feel less alone. I'm counting the months too :cry:
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #199 on: July 13, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »

I relate so much to all of this. It's my second year and it is much harder for me this year than it was last year (and last year was a challenge). Getting up in the morning is so hard. I practise positive thinking, go out of my way to do things I like/keep up with my hobbies, plan things for weekends etc, write words of affirmation all over the place, but I'm still drowning in this depressive episode right now. (Didn't help that I was super sick last week and I reacted poorly to the meds, getting a skin rash. Plus I think I have a tummy bug at the moment. *whinge whinge*)

I feel less alone. I'm counting the months too :cry:

I'm almost finished my third year now but the second was definitely the most difficult. Sounds like you're doing your best to stay positive but I know it can be hard.

First year for me, no honeymoon phase, but that was ok cause I was all about paying off debt and learning how to do this job (I wanted to do it well for the kids, or at least well enough in my co-Ts eyes) so I didn't really engage much with the culture or anything. That was fine, then.

Second year, a couple (only foreign) friends left and that along with with the extra free time (a lot less LP planning) really drove home the culture shock cause I tried to engage more with Korea. Awkwardness, fickle relationships and language barriers everywhere made it pretty shitty and I can totally relate to the second-year blues. I know some other peoples' disaffection with Korea started around then, too.

I stuck it out for a third year, cause I felt that my time here would've been a waste if I'd left after only two, and I'm glad I did. Resigned for a fourth year too. Things are pretty good now (maybe it's just the Stockholm Syndrome kicking in  :P) and I never have those old negative feelings anymore. Not that everything is perfect, just I fixed my perspective where needed and adjusted to the things I couldn't change.

Not trying to gloat  :P just saying I can definitely relate with wanting to GTFO after 2 years. But it can get better too...