December 18, 2017, 04:49:43 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 603556 times)

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1540 on: October 13, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »

...but these guys hover around me, try to "sneak" peeks down my shirt or at my crotch (I had to drape a towel across my lap because of this), a few try to chat me up and it's pretty damn clear that they're bothering me but they never take the hint, and it's all just super weird and annoying. The owner notices but doesn't say anything.

I am livid just reading this. And of course I'm sure you're the wanton foreigner-whore who is reveling in their attention. Fuuuuuuck these men.

That's miserable. Guys are gross.

When I used to go to the gym regularly, which was a poor, community health center gym full of olds, they had a separate floor for women and men. Of course, the women's floor only had hula hoops and tread mills, while all the free weights and machines were in the men's section.

Still, creeping on someone when they're trying to work out is so uncool.

Speaking of the gym, I used to go three to four times every week for about 3 years in a row.

Then I started working at a school where I was worked to exhaustion every day and haven't been to the gym in about two and a half years. And now I'm fat. It sucks. Starting again is so hard.
Wow, that really is super gross. Have you tried later at night instead of right after school? I feel like more younger people would be there and therefore maybe less problems.

@basedcowboyshirt- It really is. I had to have 3 shoulder surgeries at the end of last year and the beginning half of this year and had to stop going to the gym because of it. Now I'm all cleared for working out, but starting back into the practice is so dang hard. That combined with the fact that I don't pay for the gym anymore since I can use my school gym really takes away motivation.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1541 on: October 13, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »

...but these guys hover around me, try to "sneak" peeks down my shirt or at my crotch (I had to drape a towel across my lap because of this), a few try to chat me up and it's pretty damn clear that they're bothering me but they never take the hint, and it's all just super weird and annoying. The owner notices but doesn't say anything.

I am livid just reading this. And of course I'm sure you're the wanton foreigner-whore who is reveling in their attention. Fuuuuuuck these men.

That's miserable. Guys are gross.

When I used to go to the gym regularly, which was a poor, community health center gym full of olds, they had a separate floor for women and men. Of course, the women's floor only had hula hoops and tread mills, while all the free weights and machines were in the men's section.

Still, creeping on someone when they're trying to work out is so uncool.

Speaking of the gym, I used to go three to four times every week for about 3 years in a row.

Then I started working at a school where I was worked to exhaustion every day and haven't been to the gym in about two and a half years. And now I'm fat. It sucks. Starting again is so hard.
I've never worked out. I was just naturally skinny. And then a couple years ago I started getting "womanly", but now I'm just getting fat. Starting for the first time is also freaking hard.

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1542 on: October 13, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
Talking about gyms ...

I don't know about anybody elses gym but in mine the Koreans do f**k all! Literally walk on the treadmill slower than you would walk normally? Lift weights that literally take no effort what so ever. I'm not sure what most of them think they are achieving from their workouts. Most of their time is spent flicking between channels on the tele. I see some ridiculous stuff, like playing games on their phones in between sets. Seriously can you just not play the game for an hour or so haha!

Saying that though, the older generation here seme a lot more active than the one back home in U.K. most people hit 55 and thats it become a cabbage. Here, I see them out hiking, walking (sometimes backwards, I thought I was seeing life in rewind when I first saw this), stretching and there are a lot more public exercise equipment in parks etc than back home. Although I fail to see the point of a lot of the machines you see, kind of just swing your body around  haha but I suppose it's something!

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1543 on: October 13, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
Perhaps you need to look in the mirror.
Not sure why you take issue with my post.

Not everyone here knows how to be professional or understands what is appropriate behavior inside and outside of the classroom.

Some are better, some are worse, either way, I have seen my share of "crazy" here since '95.

You are probably too young or too new, but they used to hire folks with fake degrees, criminal records, and substance abuse problems when the demand for EFL was at its peak.

Again, I didn't say "all" or "most", I said "some", OK?

BTW, I'm not Korean, so I rarely look in the mirror.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1544 on: October 13, 2016, 12:32:45 PM »
I wouldn't want our children (if we had any) to ever be alone with some of the folks brought over here to "teach".  It's frightening.

because having your child alone with a korean teacher who frequents room salons, gets blasted on soju every night, never comes prepared for class because they're 'SO BUSY', and might well end up sexually assaulting your child (i think everyone is aware of the preference a vast number of korean men have for children) is a much more appealing prospect?
Hold up!

Koby, don't get it twisted.  There is NEVER a time when any student should be ALONE with any "teacher" or teacher.

That is covered in great detail when completing one's teacher certification.

Door open.  Have a colleague or another student in the room, etc.  One needs to protect themselves from any perceived impropriety.

When I have my after school class, and only one student shows up, we do the class in the teachers' office, where other teachers are.

Got it?

BTW, I totally agree with your comments about Korean teachers.

Are you joking?

Do the other teachers look at you like you're mental when you're having your class in the middle of their office?

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1545 on: October 13, 2016, 12:43:02 PM »
Do they take it out of your salary each month or take it out of your actual bank account?

I suppose they could have helped you to set up a direct debit for school lunches but how could they have taken money for the school trip directly from your bank account?  A bit worrying  :huh:

Mine does the same thing, but it's usually like 10,000 so I don't worry about it, but come to think of it, yeah how is that possible?  They also occasionally give me odd sums of money and I have no idea why.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1546 on: October 13, 2016, 12:44:08 PM »
Arm,

I'm NOT joking.

These are students who don't know phonics/the alphabet/etc., so the group is really small, like four or five.  However, sometimes only one student shows up.

When that happens we have our lesson in the office at the conference table.

By your response, it's obvious you have never had any formal training, because if you had, you would know that even a false accusation can destroy one's career and life.  Therefore, it is always best to err on the side of caution.

I suppose I should parrot your question back to you, "Are you mental?"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 12:49:09 PM by Pecan »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1547 on: October 13, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »
I wouldn't want our children (if we had any) to ever be alone with some of the folks brought over here to "teach".  It's frightening.

because having your child alone with a korean teacher who frequents room salons, gets blasted on soju every night, never comes prepared for class because they're 'SO BUSY', and might well end up sexually assaulting your child (i think everyone is aware of the preference a vast number of korean men have for children) is a much more appealing prospect?
Hold up!

Koby, don't get it twisted.  There is NEVER a time when any student should be ALONE with any "teacher" or teacher.

That is covered in great detail when completing one's teacher certification.

Door open.  Have a colleague or another student in the room, etc.  One needs to protect themselves from any perceived impropriety.

When I have my after school class, and only one student shows up, we do the class in the teachers' office, where other teachers are.

Got it?

BTW, I totally agree with your comments about Korean teachers.

Are you joking?

Do the other teachers look at you like you're mental when you're having your class in the middle of their office?

Probably not, because they wouldn't want him to be alone with the kid. It's common knowledge for Korean teachers as well, that you should not be alone with the kids.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1548 on: October 13, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »
Yeah, they do have a couple of women's only gyms around here, but they're really out of the way for me and don't have all of the types of machines I like to use.

I have thought about checking the gym later at night but was kind of afraid that's when all of the meatheads would be there hogging all of the machines and aggressively staring me down to move on when I've only just gotten started on my first set. xD I know this gym has them, but they don't appear to come in the morning or in the early evening.

I won't know until I give it a go throughout the week, though. I'm just going to have to experiment.

@ everything else: Yeah, it's frustrating having to start from the ground up, especially if you know what you used to be capable of.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1549 on: October 13, 2016, 12:51:38 PM »
This is a site for "teachers", yet some think it's appropriate to be alone with a student...

I sure hope you are trolls and not being sincere.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1550 on: October 13, 2016, 12:56:31 PM »
Arm,

I'm NOT joking.

These are students who don't know phonics/the alphabet/etc., so the group is really small, like four or five.  However, sometimes only one student shows up.

By your response, it's obvious you have never had any formal training, because if you had, you would know that even a false accusation can destroy one's career and life.  Therefore, it is always best to err on the side of caution.

Probably not, because they wouldn't want him to be alone with the kid. It's common knowledge for Korean teachers as well, that you should not be alone with the kids.

This is a site for "teachers", yet some think it's appropriate to be alone with a student...

I regularly have to teach a one on one class without a CT at school and I've never thought twice about it.

Should I march into the principal's office and ask him to put a stop to this madness  :huh:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1551 on: October 13, 2016, 01:01:37 PM »
What happens when the kid goes home and tells mom and dad, "The Arm touched me there"?

Parents call the school. You get called into a meeting...

Regardless of whether it is true or not, you will forever be tainted.

Knock yourself out!

FFS

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1552 on: October 13, 2016, 01:03:54 PM »

I think this is very subjective. I don't think you should NEVER be alone with a student. If you have a close relationship with said student then I don't think there is any issue. If it was a student who you don't really know or maybe a trouble student then yes being alone COULD cause an issue. Though I think it is highly unlikely. So yeah I think it just takes an assessment of the particular situation.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1553 on: October 13, 2016, 01:09:41 PM »
Arm,

I'm NOT joking.

I regularly have to teach a one on one class without a CT at school and I've never thought twice about it.

Should I march into the principal's office and ask him to put a stop to this madness  :huh:

No, you should teach it with the doors open, in a classroom or office with a lot of traffic, or passers-by, so it willbe clear that nothing nefarious is going on.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1554 on: October 13, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »
Do they take it out of your salary each month or take it out of your actual bank account?

I suppose they could have helped you to set up a direct debit for school lunches but how could they have taken money for the school trip directly from your bank account?  A bit worrying  :huh:

Mine does the same thing, but it's usually like 10,000 so I don't worry about it, but come to think of it, yeah how is that possible?  They also occasionally give me odd sums of money and I have no idea why.

I've never noticed any random amounts being taken from my account. Deductions are only taken directly from paycheck before my net pay is deposited.

However, I have noticed on occasion that I have received odd sums of money. Some have been due to field trips (apparently I get paid extra if the field trip is an overnight one, for the extra hours), but some seem to have no explanation.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1555 on: October 13, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »
Talking about gyms ...
Seriously can you just not play the game for an hour or so haha!
I broke my phone in March this year and I decided, "You know what? I'll wait to get another one." And I did. Until last week. I got a rental phone from SK and it's so shit it literally is slow at running Kakao. I love it.

I can just be there. I can just wait for the subway. I can just sit still. I can do nothing. I never realised how glued I was to that damn thing in the years prior. My GF and I got to the station last week and she had her phone out with a game within 45 secs of getting on the platform. We don't need to be talking all of the time but is it too much to ask to just be together?

I don't want to self righteous, although I know I will, but it's so refreshing. I recommend trying it. Going out for dinner with a friend in your neighbourhood? Just leave your phone at home for a few hours. Waiting for a train? Just watch the people in the station. Think about tomorrow. Look at all the gorgeous Koreans walking around. Phones are super useful, there's no denying that, but to look at it every second you're not doing something active is a detriment to your health, mentally.

Enjoy the simple things that a day brings. Stop crushing candy in the bathroom.

RANT OVER

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1556 on: October 13, 2016, 01:14:02 PM »

I think this is very subjective. I don't think you should NEVER be alone with a student. If you have a close relationship with said student then I don't think there is any issue. If it was a student who you don't really know or maybe a trouble student then yes being alone COULD cause an issue. Though I think it is highly unlikely. So yeah I think it just takes an assessment of the particular situation.
It's the opposite, in my opinion. The closer you are to a student, the larger that physical gap should be. If someone walks past a classroom and sees you in it talking really close with a student who is known to be one of your favorites, it casts suspicion on you.
I'm not saying the obvious (don't molest kids). I'm trying to say don't do anything that's gonna make anyone suspect you of anything inappropriate.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #1557 on: October 13, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »
I'm only 5'10", and I used to weigh about 180lbs when I was in university.

I managed to get my weight down to 140 in my first few years here, and now it's back up to about 155, and I feel disgusting.

None of my pants fit comfortably, I'm too big for small shirts, and mediums are too big and fit poorly.

This is all just whining. But it sucks when you go from fat, to reasonably fit, back to kind of fat again.

And yeah - I know if I go back to the gym, I'm going to be so pissed off that all the lifts and stuff I'm doing are like 50% of what I was doing when I was in shape.

it's never too late to start. :)

Ive bought some 6kg free weights and a swiss ball and I have been doing exercises in my apartment after work. I am priming my body to get back into the routine of working out again. After months of complete physical inactivity I am really sore right now. In a couple of months I want to start going to the gym again.

My issue is that my muscle tone said GOODBYE a few months after I stopped lifting. I am not fat, but I have no tone. I like to call it skinny fat.

I would liek to look a bit stronger and have more energy like I used to when I was more diligent about it.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1558 on: October 13, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »
Didn't want to hijack the Candy Corn thread, but candy corn tastes like crap. All me and my friends did with them when we were kids was to use them as projectiles. I suspect they'll suffer a similar fate here.

Circus peanuts taste like crap too. There's a reason this candy is so unpopular its sold in a plain cellophane bag with "Candy Corn" on top.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1559 on: October 13, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »

I've never worked out. I was just naturally skinny. And then a couple years ago I started getting "womanly", but now I'm just getting fat. Starting for the first time is also freaking hard.

I gained weight when I was little after my mom died, lost 20 pounds by starving myself when I was 9, then was skinny and conventionally attractive all through middle and high school....until mandatory gym class ended. Since then I've pretty consistently gained 15 pounds a year, and it wasn't until I reached 200 that I was like "oh shit this is a problem" since it takes a lot before I "look fat." Even now people tell me I'm not fat though I very clearly am.

I'm planning to join a gym but I'm so intimidated haha. Especially because there's no way I'm doing cardio in order to save my knees for dance. And lifting especially for a total beginner requires a trainer...ughhhhhh