January 19, 2018, 05:54:48 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 649270 times)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7540 on: November 27, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
I told a class of students that a tomato was a fruit on friday.  The look of shock, horror and disbelief on their faces was amazing.

Did you know that peanuts are legumes (beans)?
That vanilla is a fruit?
Strawberries, apples and pears are technically not actual fruit?
Coffee beans are berries?
Rhubarb is a vegetable?

One could make a pretty interesting goldenbell ppt out of food/plant facts.  :smiley:

Also, as Miles Kington once said: “Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.”

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7541 on: November 27, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
I told a class of students that a tomato was a fruit on friday.  The look of shock, horror and disbelief on their faces was amazing.

Did you know that peanuts are legumes (beans)?
That vanilla is a fruit?
Strawberries, apples and pears are technically not actual fruit?
Coffee beans are berries?
Rhubarb is a vegetable?

One could make a pretty interesting goldenbell ppt out of food/plant facts.  :smiley:

Also, as Miles Kington once said: “Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.”

That moment when one realizes I've no idea what I've really been eating all these years  :shocked:

Vanilla is the most shocking

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7542 on: November 27, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »
I can't believe these 6th graders think the Han river is bigger than the Amazon river.
And Jeju is bigger than Hawaii.
They act shocked and offended when I show them the comparisons.

I'm not at all surprised that people here (not just kids) would think that Jeju is bigger than Hawaii. How well do most citizens know the relative size of obscure islands belonging to foreign nations?

For example, I wouldn't be at all surprised or offended if some random English speaking expat didn't know that Vancouver Island is bigger than the Hawaiian islands.  :undecided:

...on the other hand, thinking that a tiny river like the Han is bigger than the Amazon is a bit mind-boggling. The Amazon discharges around 350 times as much water per second.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:54:44 AM by kyndo »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #7543 on: November 27, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »
Vancouver Island is practically the same size as the Republic of Korea.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #7544 on: November 27, 2017, 12:15:08 PM »

Really?? Because I'm getting 100 000km2 for S Korea and 31 200km2 for Van Island.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7545 on: November 27, 2017, 12:16:57 PM »
Well, about 1/3 the size of south Korea. It's actually only about 8% larger than Hawai'i, which is why I used it for my example.  :smiley:

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7546 on: November 27, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »

Did you know that peanuts are legumes (beans)? Yes, more of a pea than a nut
That vanilla is a fruit? As it is a seed pod, it fits the definition perfectly
Strawberries, apples and pears are technically not actual fruit? technically they are berries - a pod holding multiple seeds, which ironically mmeans most fruit we call "berries" are not actually berries - The strawberry is actually a "false fruit" as the seeds are not encased withing the flesh/casing
Coffee beans are berries? no, the coffee cherry is a berry (multiple seeds in a pod/case), but the coffee "bean" is the stone inside.  Akin to a peach pitt if you will.
Rhubarb is a vegetable? Rhubarb is indeed a vegetable.  I come from the area known as "The Rhubarb triangle"!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:26:03 PM by sligo »

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7547 on: November 27, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
I can't believe these 6th graders think the Han river is bigger than the Amazon river.

I'm not at all surprised that people here (not just kids) would think that Jeju is bigger than Hawaii. How well do most citizens know the relative size of obscure islands belonging to foreign nations?

For example, I wouldn't be at all surprised or offended if some random English speaking expat didn't know that Vancouver Island is bigger than the Hawaiian islands.  :undecided:

...on the other hand, thinking that a tiny river like the Han is bigger than the Amazon is a bit mind-boggling. The Amazon discharges around 350 times as much water per second.

First of all, it's not a matter of taking offence. It's just an example of how small of a world view people can have. Secondly, most adult Koreans know that their country is very small. Even if adult Koreans didnt know the relative size of Hawaii, they wouldn't be shocked to hear that it's bigger than any place in Korea. I think the students just haven't realised it yet. Third, Hawaii is not an obscure island. They know what Hawaii is. Whenever I ask my students what they know about the USA, Hawaii is always up there with L.A./California, NY, Texas etc.

Not knowing something is different than being shocked/unaccepting of the information. I don't think they understand the relative size of anything in Korea to anywhere else in the world.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7548 on: November 27, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »
Coffee beans are berries? no, the coffee cherry is a berry (multiple seeds in a pod/case), but the coffee "bean" is the stone inside.  Akin to a peach pitt if you will.
Good catch. Your absolutely right: I meant to say / should have said "from a berry".

First of all, it's not a matter of taking offence. It's just an example of how small of a world view people can have. Secondly, most adult Koreans know that their country is very small. Even if adult Koreans didnt know the relative size of Hawaii, they wouldn't be shocked to hear that it's bigger than any place in Korea. I think the students just haven't realised it yet. Third, Hawaii is not an obscure island. They know what Hawaii is. Whenever I ask my students what they know about the USA, Hawaii is always up there with L.A./California, NY, Texas etc.

Not knowing something is different than being shocked/unaccepting of the information. I don't think they understand the relative size of anything in Korea to anywhere else in the world.
     Knowing about a place, doesn't mean that one necessarily knows much about its geography.
I know a fair bit about the Azores, the Falklands, Sicily, the Shetlands, and Guam, but without access to google, I would be hesitant about ranking them from largest to smallest (I have an idea, but I wouldn't put a lot of money on it).
     Whether something is obscure or not really is a matter of perspective. Most North Americans will know a fair amount about Hawai'i and Vancouver Island and not so much about the Shetlands and the Falklands. Most folk from the UK will be the opposite.
     Most Koreans are constantly told that Jeju-do is the biggest and most tropical island in Korea, so I'm not surprised that that would figure in their comparisons with other Islands elsewhere. Tie a generous dollop of nationalism to that, and their impressions will be even more skewed.

And you're right: it's not a matter of offence. I meant that sentence to apply to me personally, not to people in general -- I apologize if I gave the wrong impression.  :smiley:

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7549 on: November 28, 2017, 07:50:34 AM »

Very interesting.  And completely different from my experience in five or six years of teaching comparisons to sixth graders.  I have a PPT where students must make sentences based on the pictures and the positive adjective.  Not even once has a group said the Han is wider than the Amazon or Namsan Tower is taller than Eiffel Tower.  Nowadays, they usually even know that Hyperion Tower is taller than 63 building.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7550 on: November 28, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »

I told a class of students that a tomato was a fruit on friday.  The look of shock, horror and disbelief on their faces was amazing.  It was if i was perfoming sorcery in the class.  Their minds were exploding.

I teach in a university!
Possibly because you decided to foist upon them one of the most tedious facts in the history of mankind?

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7551 on: November 28, 2017, 07:57:17 AM »

I told a class of students that a tomato was a fruit on friday.  The look of shock, horror and disbelief on their faces was amazing.  It was if i was perfoming sorcery in the class.  Their minds were exploding.

I teach in a university!
Possibly because you decided to foist upon them one of the most tedious facts in the history of mankind?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7552 on: November 28, 2017, 07:57:43 AM »

Very interesting.  And completely different from my experience in five or six years of teaching comparisons to sixth graders.  I have a PPT where students must make sentences based on the pictures and the positive adjective.  Not even once has a group said the Han is wider than the Amazon or Namsan Tower is taller than Eiffel Tower.  Nowadays, they usually even know that Hyperion Tower is taller than 63 building.

I was using your PPT combined with another I found :laugh:

These 6th graders are a weird bunch, though. Very negative, low level, and show very little interest in school. Even other teachers in the school talk about it. The high level ones are all super quiet and the loudest are the most ignorant. So, it's possible that other students knew the right answer but only the class clowns spoke up.

ETA:

I just had class with my highest level, most well behaved 6th graders (that isn't saying much, but they have the 6th grade class president and the best attitudes) and they got most of the questions right, even the Hyperion Tower question (while the rest of my classes had never heard of that building.)
  Even though some of them thought Jeju was bigger than Hawaii, they weren't in denial when I showed the answers. They were just making a guess. It's crazy what a huge difference there is between that class and the 4 other classes.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:51:33 AM by sevenpm »

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #7553 on: November 28, 2017, 08:22:57 AM »
I guess it throws their whole belief system into question. If you told an American that their country is not the best in the world, you'd get a lot of outright denial, rightly or wrongly from a lot of people. I'm not saying the US isn't the best country, but the belief that it's the best seems to be pretty non-partisan in my experience.

I found out that the tooth fairy and santa clause were made at the same dinner. That was pretty tough year of high school.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #7554 on: November 28, 2017, 08:42:17 AM »
I guess it throws their whole belief system into question. If you told an American that their country is not the best in the world, you'd get a lot of outright denial, rightly or wrongly from a lot of people. I'm not saying the US isn't the best country, but the belief that it's the best seems to be pretty non-partisan in my experience.

I found out that the tooth fairy and santa clause were made at the same dinner. That was pretty tough year of high school.

Yeah, but it'd be like telling an American that the Mississippi isn't the longest and then acting shocked.

Then you tell them that the longest one is in BFE and they get all huffy puffy about it. hahahaha 

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #7555 on: November 28, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »
I'm really starting to resent going into my third grade classes due to how pointless it has all become. They are lovely kids and I will miss them when they are gone, but their exams are finished, what is the point?

In the UK the academic term is from September to around the 20th July. In year 11 which is 15/16 you take your final exams around May to early June and you enjoy an extra long summer break. I remember it well, it was such a great time in my life; from staying up till 4am playing playstation to seeing my friends every day, it was awesome. There was no coming back doing nonsense until July. Let the kids have a nice long break where they can actually be kids. Let them have fun before they have the (futile) stresses of High School to deal with. I really do feel sorry for them, it's not fair at all.

The other day my ct mentioned how its hard to control them now their tests are over. Fortunately, I haven't had too much of an issue, just yet at least, but can you blame them? If we had to come back to school until July after our final exams which we had spent the last 4 years prepping for, we would have come in fuelled on resentment.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7556 on: November 28, 2017, 10:00:21 AM »

Yeah, but it'd be like telling an American that the Mississippi isn't the longest and then acting shocked.

Then you tell them that the longest one is in BFE and they get all huffy puffy about it. hahahaha

The Nile is talked about in the bible quite often, doesn't it? I think most Americans would know about that if they were raised with religion. I remember singing songs about the Nile when I was young.

And yeah, it's pretty pointless to argue with Americans about whether or not the USA is the best country. But the difference is it's an opinion. However, even if you present them with facts about all the ways in which the US is failing its citizens, it won't alter their opinion. I used to try it with my family but it was like knocking my head against a brick wall. They'll just say "huh, really? Well I'd still rather live here than anywhere else." But I don't think that's a uniquely American thing. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7557 on: November 28, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »

I teach in a university!

Haha!

I wonder how often the kids are just deliberately riling up the teacher during these stories?

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7558 on: November 28, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »
This pathetic loser has absolutely no business being a teacher.
He's trying to make me teach the textbook when half the students can't spell basic 3-letter words and the other half can't count past 10, in English. He's simply too lazy to do anything other than listen and repeat and can't be bothered to follow up with whatever I decide.

(English room, after class)

Me - Teacher,the students are in 6th grade and can't count past 10 or read these basic words (cat, hot, cold)

HR teacher - Yes, but English numbers are so hard.

Me - It took me 30mins to figure out the Korean number system (for counting). I learned to read Korean during my flight
       to Korea, and I'm a slow learner... They had 4yrs! It's really not that hard.

Me - Either teach them phonics and numbers or let me teach what I think is important.

HR teacher - But the textbook...

Me - The textbook is useless! The level is too advanced for them

HR teacher - (Does that annoying sucking sound whenever adults are too chickensh*t to say what's on their mind)

Me - I'll be teaching phonics and counting, starting next week. Enjoy our lunch.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7559 on: November 28, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
This pathetic loser has absolutely no business being a teacher.
He's trying to make me teach the textbook when half the students can't spell basic 3-letter words and the other half can't count past 10, in English. He's simply too lazy to do anything other than listen and repeat and can't be bothered to follow up with whatever I decide.

(English room, after class)

Me - Teacher,the students are in 6th grade and can't count past 10 or read these basic words (cat, hot, cold)

HR teacher - Yes, but English numbers are so hard.

Me - It took me 30mins to figure out the Korean number system (for counting). I learned to read Korean during my flight
       to Korea, and I'm a slow learner... They had 4yrs! It's really not that hard.

Me - Either teach them phonics and numbers or let me teach what I think is important.

HR teacher - But the textbook...

Me - The textbook is useless! The level is too advanced for them

HR teacher - (Does that annoying sucking sound whenever adults are too chickensh*t to say what's on their mind)

Me - I'll be teaching phonics and counting, starting next week. Enjoy our lunch.

That sounds similar to my elementary co-teacher a few years back, although I think she had some form of Aspergers because he never could relate to anyone.  She just looked awkward the whole time.  But she'd just teach the textbook, minus games and the kids just fooked around the whole class.  I stood beside the screen and they repeated the words after me, problem is, they had no interest because English class was 100% on her.  She just thought the textbook is the only thing that was important.  If they finish the textbook then they've obviously 'succeeded' and will pass to the next level.  There really was no need for me, with some idea about how we should engage the students and get some kind of English ability.  Her work was riddled with mistakes, 'What is the capital city of England?  Rondon'  I mean, come on!!! 

My sympathies....