April 22, 2018, 05:20:53 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 844410 times)

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7460 on: December 21, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »
w3k for a tin of Heinz beans.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7461 on: December 21, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
I'm still annoyed about that ridiculous week in Jan/Feb where we have to come to school. Why does that school week even exist? Why can't we just tack an extra week on to the end of the school year instead of leaving for a month then coming back? I could have had nearly a full month for vacation, but nope, it's split in two.  >:(

Hey at least you don't have to desk warm
Except I only have three classes that Jan/Feb week, so my vacation is cut in half because I have to deskwarm.  :-[

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7462 on: December 21, 2017, 03:26:31 PM »
Whenever I bring in some fancy bomb game or choose your own adventure PPT, my CT tells the children that I made it even though I'm sure she knows I didn't. They all go "ohhhh!" and clap for me and it's so awkward because I don't want to make a big deal about it but I also don't see the need in taking credit for someone else's work. Is this why K-teachers often remove the credit from the PPTs they download from waygook? So they can impress their students?

Just tell them 'Pororo made it' (or whatever theme character is involved, if they're older, just tell them whatever parten company of the character made it) and then pick out some random kid to scold for being slightly distracted and move on.

Time's a wastin and the class don't need to know the provenance of the PPT.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7463 on: December 22, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
I was told that yesterday was my last day at my travel school.  :smiley: I was happy about that because it means I don't have to wake up earlier and wait at the cold bus stop.

I was told today that I need to go there one day next week.  :huh: Now I need to prepare more lessons.

I hope it's too late for them to change their mind about me doing a winter camp there. I've already made my vacation plans.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7464 on: December 22, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »
I hate it when I refresh Waygook for more forum goodness, only to see that the only recent thread bumps were bumped by gogators.

Offline Datasapien

• Veteran
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #7465 on: December 22, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »
Been using some crappy old laptop from the Joseon dynasty at my second school for the past 3 months, randomly turns off during classes etc and takes ages to do anything. Anyway, it finally decided to die and leave me alone so I told my co-teacher the sad news and then she scurried off to the office and got this fancy new Windows 10 laptop out the cupboard that's just been sitting there collecting dust for who knows how long. So now I'm 50% ecstatic that I've got a laptop that functions as a laptop and 50% 'why the f*ck didn't you give this one to me in the first place?' :undecided:
Happy Friday y'all  :-*
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7466 on: December 22, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
I hate it when I refresh Waygook for more forum goodness, only to see that the only recent thread bumps were bumped by gogators.

Haha so true  :laugh:

Also, I wish there could be just one Trump thread.  Do we really need five on the front page?

On the other hand I feel good when I see four or five threads bumped by AvecPommesFrites  8)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7467 on: December 22, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7468 on: December 22, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »
Also, who proceeds to set their alarm for 6am in the sleeping room and then sleep thorough it for at least 2 or 3 minutes. That happened at least twice.

I sleep through at least 4 alarms out of the 10 have set for the morning.....  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wow. You must be a heavy sleeper. I always seem to wake up on the first ring of my alarm. I am programmed to hear it and it wakes me up.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7469 on: December 22, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »
My job will be changing a bit next year so my second school (where I'm at today) is gonna be cut. Today is the last time I'll have class with most of these kids.

Anyway, I like the majority of them here but one class of first-graders on Friday always manage to ruin my mood. They're just such little shits. Constant attitude and negativity. Of course today was no different. But now they expect to be rewarded with a party and snacks cause today is the last class. Well.

I told them I forgot to bring the candy I'd promised and the DVD drive wasn't working so we couldn't watch a movie (I have Netflix and used it for all the other classes' movie day, though  :wink:). Crestfallen expressions. Cries of anguish. Obviously they were pretty disappointed. I had to work hard at not grinning like the Grinch. Honestly, it made my day. Poor little brats would die if they knew that there's a wide variety of fresh, DELICIOUS candy sitting in my desk drawers. .

Enjoy your boring word search!  :police:

And buh bye! See you never  :azn:

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7470 on: December 22, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »

the behavior of my 6th grade students this year is one of the things that's made me finally pack it in wrt public school teaching in korea. i've had to see these dickheads twice per week, and i've never had such blatantly rude and disrespectful behavior from a group of students before.

some of the things i've seen them do:
- two students using the corridor as an olympic sprinting track to see who could run the fastest
- two students who regularly wrestle each other in the corridor, and who have almost knocked me over on numerous occasions and spilt my coffee all over my clothes on numerous occassions
- a student counting her coins on top of her english book in the middle of class, while she's supposed to be working
- students blatantly and openly reading comic books on top of their english books in class
- students violently (not playfully) punching and kicking each other while the homeroom teacher stands 2 meters away grinning like a moron
- students sitting on the floor and playing games as the bell rings, and even after, because the useless AF homeroom teachers can't even get them seated with their books out in time for class to start (i teach in the homerooms).
- students just getting up and walking out in the middle of class without saying anything to myself or my coteacher
- students throwing their shoes at each other in the corridors outside the classrooms

and that's just what i can remember off the top of my head. i'm sure there's more that will come back to me.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7471 on: December 22, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »

the behavior of my 6th grade students this year is one of the things that's made me finally pack it in wrt public school teaching in korea. i've had to see these dickheads twice per week, and i've never had such blatantly rude and disrespectful behavior from a group of students before.

- two students using the corridor as an olympic sprinting track to see who could run the fastest
- two students who regularly wrestle each other in the corridor, and who have almost knocked me over on numerous occasions and spilt my coffee all over my clothes on numerous occassions
- a student counting her coins on top of her english book in the middle of class, while she's supposed to be working
- students blatantly and openly reading comic books on top of their english books in class
- students violently (not playfully) punching and kicking each other while the homeroom teacher stands 2 meters away grinning like a moron
- students sitting on the floor and playing games as the bell rings, and even after, because the useless AF homeroom teachers can't even get them seated with their books out in time for class to start (i teach in the homerooms).
- students just getting up and walking out in the middle of class without saying anything to myself or my coteacher
- students throwing their shoes at each other in the corridors outside the classrooms

and that's just what i can remember off the top of my head. i'm sure there's more that will come back to me.

This sounds like a normal Korean elementary school, to be honest. You must have worked at some really good schools in the past.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7472 on: December 22, 2017, 02:29:07 PM »
This sounds like a normal Korean elementary school, to be honest.

and you don't think this is a problem?

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7473 on: December 22, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
This sounds like a normal Korean elementary school, to be honest.

and you don't think this is a problem?

I think the world has a lot of problems.

I don't like it when students have a rude and lazy attitude towards my class, but playing around in the corridor, even playfighting, is OK as long as nobody is getting hurt. Better for them to let off steam there than in the classroom.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7474 on: December 27, 2017, 08:03:50 AM »
Close the door!!! Close the frakkin door!!!!! CLOSE THE MOTHER FRAKKIN DOOR!!!! Aaaaarrggghhhhhhhhhhhhh
>:( >:( :cry: >:( :cry: >:( :cry:

*woosah only 6 weeks until vacation, only 6 weeks until vacation, only 6 weeks until vacation, you can do it, you can do it*
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline chrisinkorea2011

• Veteran
« Reply #7475 on: December 27, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »

This sounds normal/not that bad considering what I have experienced in some of these schools.

But the constant disrespect and wild behaviour does wear on you. Every time I have class with my 6th graders it makes me more and more happy to buy my ticket home for February. They are just so damn unpleasant and it's like these Korean teachers don't realise it doesn't have to be this way.

I had some of these problems while working with 6th graders in the bigger cities but out in the countryside (their label for the company I work for, not mine) the students are much more well behaved for the most part. The biggest problem I have is students using "새끼야" constantly in class, which to be honest doesnt bother me that much considering that I was a horrible shite when I was their age. I use a military like discipline scheme that involves the other members of their group to help control their peers. "Oh, Jihoon you wanna continue acting up? Well then all of group 5 members can come to the English room after lunch and owe me that 5 minutes of class time that you just wasted."

Works every time.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7476 on: January 04, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »
Definitely answered at least 2 questions entirely wrong on today's writing portion of midterms because I couldn't remember the meanings of the specific terms that needed to be conjugated.  All I could recall is that they were definitely irregular words that I apparently neglected to give proper attention to while studying.  :evil: 

Indulging in a doughnut.  Because you are what you eat?  And my mind feels thoroughly glazed. :blank:

On the bright side, one of the Korean teachers (not mine) consistently thinks my choices of lip colors are "섹시" and makes a point of telling me so every time she sees me. :laugh:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #7477 on: January 08, 2018, 03:06:37 AM »
Y'aint rid of me yet, Korea.

#Koreateaching2018

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7478 on: January 09, 2018, 04:03:31 PM »

#Koreateaching2018

Dare I ask how your vacation went? :lipsrsealed:

More Korean logic: 

Made an inquiry with immigration [last month] about the documents necessary to get a student visa.  Acquired list.  Cool.
Made an inquiry with my school [last month] about the documents necessary to get the student visa. 

School:  It's too early to apply for the visa.  Come back next month, x days before your current visa expires. 

I returned to inquire again. 

School:  Oh by the way, here's a list of additional documents you need in order to get the documents that immigration wants from us. 

...there is honestly zero reason why they couldn't have given me that list LAST month, so that I could have had ample time to prepare/obtain them.   >:( >:( :evil:
Thankfully I happen to have most of the necessary documents on hand but I still had to bug folks back home to notarize/scan send a few things.  I don't mind so much about hurrying to gather things myself but when I have to impose on someone else, that peeves me.  I'm also confused as to why I need to produce all these documents when I'm already currently enrolled.  Literally all I'm trying to get from the school is proof that I registered and a receipt of tuition payment.  That's all immigration needs from the school. 

Also, why on earth do I need to provide evidence of my parentage when I'm not relying on them whatsoever for financial purposes? :undecided: Whatever, Korea. 

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7479 on: January 10, 2018, 07:44:26 AM »

#Koreateaching2018

What??

#timeCO2left!

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018