September 23, 2018, 12:26:13 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1095825 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7240 on: November 15, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
FU NH.  So I mistakenly thought (should have remembered that this is Korea after all) that it would be a simple thing to get a bank statement showing my account balance (I have to prove I have adequate funds to the school I want to apply to).  The school wants an original statement and the local bank can only provide me with a copy that the school won't accept.  Because apparently only my original bank back on an ISLAND can produce an original copy.  Dafuq???

They're mailing the original to me but it may not arrive in time by the deadline (which, honestly, is my own issue because I decided to dive in and apply for the upcoming semester instead of waiting for the spring one).  On the bright side, I found a go around by opening up a new account at a different bank and transferring the necessary funds so I could then request an original bank statement from the new bank. 

Geezus

Scam alert!

Why should you have to prove to a new employer that you have money?

Original prevents you from redacting the account number.

Oh sorry, I mean a school I want to attend.  For language study.  Not for employment!

Is it for the school or for a student visa? I've been looking into studying in Japan, and if I want to sponsor myself, I'll have to offer proof I can afford to live and study there for the duration of the study period. Or where you already on an F visa? I lose track around here.   :laugh:

Just for the school itself.  I'm wanting to apply for a F4 visa but immigration gave me shite about requiring documents from the deceased parent instead of allowing me to use documents pertaining to the parent that's alive  :rolleyes:

So my plan now is to switch to a D10 or something to give me more time to suss everything out.  Ugh headache. 

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #7241 on: November 15, 2017, 04:39:32 PM »
Just for the school itself.  I'm wanting to apply for a F4 visa but immigration gave me shite about requiring documents from the deceased parent instead of allowing me to use documents pertaining to the parent that's alive  :rolleyes:

So my plan now is to switch to a D10 or something to give me more time to suss everything out.  Ugh headache.

Yeah, I know someone (a foreigner) who went to grad school in Korea, and he said when he was applying for his student visa, immigration wanted to check his bank book (and actually update it at a nearby ATM) to make sure that he had sufficient funds to pay for grad school. I know universities in Korea also require proof of sufficient funds.

As for the F4 visa, honestly, if you don't plan to stay in Korea for more than a couple years, don't bother -- it's not worth the hassle, in my opinion.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7242 on: November 15, 2017, 04:51:33 PM »

Yeah, I know someone (a foreigner) who went to grad school in Korea, and he said when he was applying for his student visa, immigration wanted to check his bank book (and actually update it at a nearby ATM) to make sure that he had sufficient funds to pay for grad school. I know universities in Korea also require proof of sufficient funds.

As for the F4 visa, honestly, if you don't plan to stay in Korea for more than a couple years, don't bother -- it's not worth the hassle, in my opinion.

It does seem like a stupid, stupid, hassle but I want to at least try because it could be lucrative as well as allow me to legally tutor privates (I'm too paranoid to try doing so under the table, honestly) or get like a part time gig somewhere.  Otherwise, I'm gunning for the language study visa which is like a D4 I think; but it doesn't seem to allow me to work for the first 6 months and after that I have to get permission from my school/supervisor apparently. 

I'd be okay financially without a job for a while if it came down to it but I would prefer to have some form of income. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7243 on: November 16, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
Gyeonggi Messenger won't allow me to send files over 20MB large (or a collection of files totalling that amount).

:-* Why are you giving me this USB?

:police: The files for tomorrow are on there, I can't send files larger than 20MB, remember. Gyeonggi Messenger is stupid (and IT IS. It's an internal messenging system, it only uses the bandwidth WITHIN THE SCHOOL. Korea has no bandwidth caps anyway! Just let me send whatever the f I want!)

:-* Don't say like that.

Why? Is your brother personally responsible for the development of this program? Do you love it? Probably not. So why take offense at this? It doesn't mean our school sucks, it doesn't mean Gyeonggi sucks. The program has a stupid............. feature? It's not even a feature. I HATE poorly designed things, especially when there's no real discernible reason.

OI VEY
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7244 on: November 17, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
@CO2 Gyeonggi messenger does suck. I  miss Cool Messenger.

Rant: Golden Bell. They keep making me dumb down the questions so now all the students are being spoon fed the answers. Heaven forbid the students actually have to think about anything. At this rate the entire class is going to win.

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #7245 on: November 17, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »

Rant: Golden Bell. They keep making me dumb down the questions so now all the students are being spoon fed the answers. Heaven forbid the students actually have to think about anything. At this rate the entire class is going to win.

On this point, where did the idea of Golden Bell even come from? I asked why they call it Golden Bell and they just sort of looked at me like, "What? You don't know?"

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7246 on: November 17, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »

When I had CM, I thought I hated it, but now that I have met this POS app, I really miss CM.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7247 on: November 17, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
On this point, where did the idea of Golden Bell even come from? I asked why they call it Golden Bell and they just sort of looked at me like, "What? You don't know?"
I might be from the name of a Korean game show (2004-2010) where contestants ring a bell and answer questions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Golden_Bell

Although it's possible that the game predates the show, in which case I have no idea. Any old timers here care to weigh in?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:30:13 PM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7248 on: November 17, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »

I hate that shit.

:-* "You've never heard of Lemon Tree???"

No, I'm not hip with German rock bands from the mid 90s. The song hit #26 on the UK singles chart in 1996. THIS IS NOT A FAMOUS SONG. It hit the "U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles" at 13. What is the "U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles" you ask?

Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles is a chart published weekly by Billboard magazine in the United States. The chart lists the top singles that have not yet charted on the main Billboard Hot 100.

There you have it.

:police: You've never heard Nautical Disaster by The Tragically Hip?????????? It charted at 26 on the Canadian Singles Chart in 1996!

:-* WOT

:police:

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #7249 on: November 17, 2017, 02:42:08 PM »
Gyeonggi Messenger won't allow me to send files over 20MB large (or a collection of files totalling that amount).

:-* Why are you giving me this USB?

:police: The files for tomorrow are on there, I can't send files larger than 20MB, remember. Gyeonggi Messenger is stupid (and IT IS. It's an internal messenging system, it only uses the bandwidth WITHIN THE SCHOOL. Korea has no bandwidth caps anyway! Just let me send whatever the f I want!)

:-* Don't say like that.

Why? Is your brother personally responsible for the development of this program? Do you love it? Probably not. So why take offense at this? It doesn't mean our school sucks, it doesn't mean Gyeonggi sucks. The program has a stupid............. feature? It's not even a feature. I HATE poorly designed things, especially when there's no real discernible reason.

OI VEY

Oh man that is supper shittacular. Our msging system is the same here if you are using just a plain msg. But there is also an option to P2P share large files if the person on the other side accepts it. Which is great when sending PPT files almost daily.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #7250 on: November 17, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »
No, I'm not hip with German rock bands from the mid 90s.
You're missing out, mate!

KMFDM, Oomph, Megaherz, Kraftwerk, Enigma, Scooter, L'ame Immortelle, Rammstein... all gold!

I just install google drive on every computer I ever use. Never have to worry about file sizes again.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:46:53 PM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #7251 on: November 17, 2017, 02:43:56 PM »
Oh man that is supper shittacular. Our msging system is the same here if you are using just a plain msg. But there is also an option to P2P share large files if the person on the other side accepts it. Which is great when sending PPT files almost daily.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. NO ONE TELLS ME SHIT.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #7252 on: November 20, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »
Talked to the boss about next year (whether I was staying or not). Asked for a raise. Boss came back and asked if there was any wiggle room in the amount? If the raise can't be given, what will I do? Leave? Yup. Because I was promised a raise two years in a row and then didn't get one. That amount is the culmination of what I should have been already getting. Honestly, I'm on the fence about staying anyway, but I wanted to give them the chance to do the right thing. At least I had "the conversation", now I can ask for references, that's always a huge pain.

Decided to leave (my job). Asked my boss if she would be comfortable signing a reference letter. Said yes, but wanted to change some sentences (I wrote it) and I said okay. She comes in to tell me what she wants to change and it's the sentence at the end that is basically recommending me to a job. "I'm not comfortable with that line because I have only known you for a year (my bosses changed this year)." Okaaaayyy...I am good enough for renewal but not good enough for her to say "I think travelinpantsgirl would be an asset to your institution".  :rolleyes:
So tired after dealing with this. She kept saying why can't you use proof of employment? LOL I told I need both. Me thinks she doesn't understand the purpose of a recmmendation letter. Oh Korea.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7253 on: November 20, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
she's probably just being petty because you chose not to re-sign for another year

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #7254 on: November 20, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
she's probably just being petty because you chose not to re-sign for another year
I figured it was more to trap me here, at least in their mind. I haven't told them I changed my mind yet, because I haven't seen her yet.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7255 on: November 20, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »
She kept saying why can't you use proof of employment? LOL I told I need both. Me thinks she doesn't understand the purpose of a recmmendation letter. Oh Korea.

the whole idea of a recommendation letter is completely foreign to most koreans. they are just not a thing here. the reason is because of the defamation laws.

koreans don't use reference letters for employment. they exclusively use proof of employment.

another tick to put in the column of 'things foreigners have to do but koreans don't'.

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #7256 on: November 20, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
Can someone please explain to me why the English exam is entirely in Korean? Questions and directions are in Korean. Answers are either Korean or English transliterated into Hangul. How does this test their English in any way?

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #7257 on: November 20, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »
Can someone please explain to me why the English exam is entirely in Korean? Questions and directions are in Korean. Answers are either Korean or English transliterated into Hangul. How does this test their English in any way?
Cuz the stupid test is listening. And if it's not, there must be a reading passage in English where everything else is in Korean.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #7258 on: November 20, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »

What grade are you teaching?

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #7259 on: November 20, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
What grade are you teaching?

Elementary. So I can understand directions being given in Korean, but not really the questions and answers because this is stuff they should have learned during the year.

Cuz the stupid test is listening. And if it's not, there must be a reading passage in English where everything else is in Korean.

Pretty sure it's a listening test. I have yet to see or hear mention of a reading passage.