September 22, 2018, 03:24:43 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1095337 times)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6680 on: September 06, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »

I wonder how many people on this forum know who that is.  :sad:
I do.

How old do you have to be?

I'm 45... any younger?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6681 on: September 06, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »

I'm 35 and of course I know who that is! He's the funny looking dancing guy from Weezer's Buddy Holly video!

Everyone knows that lol  :wink:

donovan

« Reply #6682 on: September 06, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »

I'm 35 and of course I know who that is! He's the funny looking dancing guy from Weezer's Buddy Holly video!

Everyone knows that lol  :wink:

I'm 25. You still lost me...

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #6683 on: September 06, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
I was doing a game with my classes today. One group was being especially rowdy and would not listen. So I subtracted a point from their team. My co then goes and adds the point back when I'm not looking.
Frustrates me so much how teachers will baby these students. No wonder they won't listen to us.
If you explained/taught the rule about subtracting a point for being loud/rowdy, etc., I would understand your frustration.

However, if you were simply being arbitrary, what your coteacher did is understandable and the "correct" thing to do.

As teachers, we need to be fair and consistent, not unfair and inconsistent.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #6684 on: September 06, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
I do.

I'm 45... any younger?
I'm 35. But I think it's people 30 and under.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6685 on: September 06, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »
I'm 32, never seen an episode, but it's cultural now. Any North American who has eyes and ears over 25 should have picked it up at that point.

Buddy Holly music video. Is that the Forrest Gump treatment? Same FX process?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6686 on: September 06, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »

We also had an argument over her demanding students say "blue jeans" when talking about jeans because according to her it's more proper and according to me no one says that outside of country songs, but hey, naver's more reliable right?

omg for some reason the idea of saying "blue jeans" is just antiquated enough to sound really funny to me

It's just so weird to specify that jeans are blue outside of a song, but I do a teachers class and in it they're always trying to over-complicate words too. Or find a word so scientifically specific that the majority of English speakers have never heard it used in a conversation with a non doctor. One tried to tell me she had Chondromalacia patella the other day (I had to google it to find the term again). I told her "knee problems" or "knee pain" would be something better and easier to say but no. Naver wins again. She can't even say it, she'll just type it out and be like "this!" and expect someone to be like "oh yeah I know what that is!"

I think this week has just been especially bad for people not trusting my word choice o.o

Offline kimchi_mandu

• Veteran
« Reply #6687 on: September 06, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

I'm 29 and British. I remember it being on tv loads when I was a kid, back when we only had 4 channels as well haha. I was just singing the Happy Days theme song to my boyfriend the other day as we were watching him in Arrested Development.

donovan

« Reply #6688 on: September 06, 2017, 12:04:16 PM »
I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

I'm 29 and British. I remember it being on tv loads when I was a kid, back when we only had 4 channels as well haha. I was just singing the Happy Days theme song to my boyfriend the other day as we were watching him in Arrested Development.

I'm 55. You lost me...

GUFFER, MAKE THIS THREAD ACCESSIBLE FOR ALL PEOPLE!!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6689 on: September 06, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »

I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

27.  Only know it by having randomly picked up general pop culture, not from having actually seen an episode. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6690 on: September 06, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »
It's just so weird to specify that jeans are blue outside of a song, but I do a teachers class and in it they're always trying to over-complicate words too. Or find a word so scientifically specific that the majority of English speakers have never heard it used in a conversation with a non doctor. One tried to tell me she had Chondromalacia patella the other day (I had to google it to find the term again). I told her "knee problems" or "knee pain" would be something better and easier to say but no. Naver wins again. She can't even say it, she'll just type it out and be like "this!" and expect someone to be like "oh yeah I know what that is!"

I think this week has just been especially bad for people not trusting my word choice o.o

It's like going to a botanical garden here.

소나무/Pinus tabuliformis  대나무/Eremitis parviflora 은행/Salisburia adiantifolia

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: WTF am I looking at?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6691 on: September 06, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »
Pretty sure a lot of Americans in their 20s know who the Fonz is. Happy Days used to play all the time on Nick at Nite.

Offline traversing

• Veteran
« Reply #6692 on: September 06, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »

I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

I'm 27, it's the Fonz. Never crossed my mind that people wouldn't know him. "Ayyyyy" with 2 thumbs up is referenced in so many shows/jokes/etc. He's kind of a meme since before meme's were a thing.

They used to play the show on Nick At Night as well

donovan

« Reply #6693 on: September 06, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »

I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

I'm 27, it's the Fonz. Never crossed my mind that people wouldn't know him. "Ayyyyy" with 2 thumbs up is referenced in so many shows/jokes/etc. He's kind of a meme since before meme's were a thing.

I'm 85. I am WITH YOU all the way~!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6694 on: September 06, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »

Yeah thats cuz naver gives those insane never used words XD I got about half my teachers class using google translate now after I showed them the wonders of being able to translate from pictures so I'm hoping that gives them less weird answers although it can be weird sometimes still...

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6695 on: September 06, 2017, 12:34:07 PM »
F********************************************k this week! That is all.

I think maybe venus is in retrograde or upside down or mercury is spitting fire and saturn needs a drink... I don't know I am not into astrology etc, but holy hell!

My planned double lesson after class today and tomorrow is a graffiti art project. I lugged paint and brushes and stencils and paper and glue and all sort of crap half way across the province by bus to this school for these lessons. These lessons for which they demand plans before school starts every semester. They know the plans.

It is now 20 minutes before those lessons. 5 minutes ago I receive a message that I need to do my after school classes today and tomorrow in the library. THE LIBRARY!!!! A graffiti art project.  :blank: :huh: :blank: :cry:

I have asked where else I can do it, my they are saying only the library and I must just change lessons. Frak it, we are going outside.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I am getting so drunk come Friday
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:44:32 PM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6696 on: September 06, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »

I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

I'm 85. I am WITH YOU all the way~!

25, I "ayyyyyy" and thumbs up at stuff way too much. I don't think I ever got past the theme song with this show tho. I just know a lot of pop culture references and my parents would watch it to get me to go outside and play.

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6697 on: September 06, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »

I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

I'm 55, and he's the guy Peter Griffin based his religion on.

Offline kimchi_mandu

• Veteran
« Reply #6698 on: September 06, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
I do.

I'm 45... any younger?

I'm 55. You lost me...

GUFFER, MAKE THIS THREAD ACCESSIBLE FOR ALL PEOPLE!!

싫어!!

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #6699 on: September 06, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »

A red pine, Brazilian bamboo, and a ginkgo tree, apparently. The latin name for the latter is especially obscure, as it's only one of the proposed names, not the actual official one.

And shame on you for not recognising a ginkgo when you see one!