December 12, 2018, 12:38:51 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1211971 times)

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6480 on: August 31, 2017, 08:18:04 AM »
I work at a couple of middle schools and a high school. For the last two years my co-teachers have asked me to lead my own conversation classes on whatever topics I choose. I have enjoyed being able to choose my own topics.
However this semester I have a substitute co-teacher who has insisted that I follow the textbook. Ok, fine, my job is to be as useful to the Korean-English teachers as possible.
We sat down last week and discussed which pages I would teach this week and what he needed from me.
Today, I come in prepared to teach the pages he had requested I teach and I went to discuss with him any last details.
"Oh I already taught these pages. What will you teach today?"
WTF? Do you really need me to teach from the book then?
Luckily I have another lesson I can teach.

Offline Kaynadian

• Adventurer
« Reply #6481 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »
I work at a couple of middle schools and a high school. For the last two years my co-teachers have asked me to lead my own conversation classes on whatever topics I choose. I have enjoyed being able to choose my own topics.
However this semester I have a substitute co-teacher who has insisted that I follow the textbook. Ok, fine, my job is to be as useful to the Korean-English teachers as possible.
We sat down last week and discussed which pages I would teach this week and what he needed from me.
Today, I come in prepared to teach the pages he had requested I teach and I went to discuss with him any last details.
"Oh I already taught these pages. What will you teach today?"
WTF? Do you really need me to teach from the book then?
Luckily I have another lesson I can teach.

By which they meant they skimmed taught that part.   ;D  And the students already forgot. 

Just tell them you will focus on the conversation part of the chapter.  Korean teachers very rarely touch that part. 

The conversation parts were what I was supposed to teach but apparently he already did them.

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #6482 on: August 31, 2017, 08:40:10 AM »
I have a new student who's the most scared looking low energy 3rd grader (elementary) I've ever seen :/ I feel bad for him because that whole class is really energetic and extremely into English. They're all really nice kids and they tried to help him but he just sulked to the back of the classroom and decided not to participate :/ He's been here a week and apparently he wants nothing to do with the other kids even in other classes, but they're constantly excited to see him and all wanted to be his partner :/

Hoping their cheeriness rubs off on him eventually...

He might just need some time.  Had a new 4th grader last year who needed a bit of time to adjust (I think there's something more going on than the typical student though).  He was really emotional at first but all his classmates persisted in being kind to him and a few months later I noticed a big difference.  He doesn't always participate but he seems generally content nowadays.

Yeah I can see how the other kids might be "too nice" and outgoing for him if he's an introvert. I hope it gets better for him cuz everyone else is extremely outgoing in his class o.o

I like to think there's always a place for an introvert.  Hope he ends up adjusting well!  If everyone is nice and accepting of him then I imagine he'll be okay.

I had a student like him start midway through the last semester. He was so quiet and refused to speak to anyone. Now he's the most annoying little brat you'll ever meet. I still don't know half the kids names in that class but oh do I know his.
Give him time, he'll probably come around  :undecided:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6483 on: September 01, 2017, 12:26:45 PM »
I'm not really ranting, I just have been asked to do something that I do not want to do, and I have tried to say no.... wait okay

I teach public school, I have 3 schools
School classes 20
After school classes at school one 2
After school classes at school two 4    (get paid extra)          TOTAL 26

Which is perfect, all three of my schools have different textbooks, and I mean completely different so recycling lessons still requires prep. My travel time every day is on average 2 hours a day. And my after school programs' curricula are legit. I do a full curriculum with projects based in Music, art and science, full lesson plans for the semester are submitted to the POE. I do all the prep work and buy all my own materials. And I am fine with it.

School one has now decided I know need to do another "conversation class", where ten students need to prepare a role play/play/story thing for the school open day or some sort. This class will also now be twice a week until the end of November.

I explained that I was already very busy and asked to discuss it today, which actually meant (to them) that today they would just give me the blank lesson plans for these new classes and to please have them completed by Tuesday.

I just don't want to add to my load. I don't. I don't care if everyone thinks it's not so bad. I .just.don't.want.to.do.it. I love my school, I don't want to upset anyone because I might want to renew...

I really want to throw a mini temper tantrum
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #6484 on: September 01, 2017, 12:52:40 PM »
I have a new student who's the most scared looking low energy 3rd grader (elementary) I've ever seen :/ I feel bad for him because that whole class is really energetic and extremely into English. They're all really nice kids and they tried to help him but he just sulked to the back of the classroom and decided not to participate :/ He's been here a week and apparently he wants nothing to do with the other kids even in other classes, but they're constantly excited to see him and all wanted to be his partner :/

Hoping their cheeriness rubs off on him eventually...

I have a new 4th grader who is super quiet. He knows the material. I see him writing everything in his book, and when I walk around to monitor the class during book work, he's always one of the first done. But he simply would not talk in class unless he was specifically called on, and even then he was so quiet that I had to stand beside him to even remotely hear him. Come to find out he was 왕따 at his old school. His class and his homeroom teacher are super friendly and outgoing, and the teacher is aware of the situation (he's the one who told me about it) and going out of his way to make the student feel included and make friends. So I'm hoping he opens up some eventually.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6485 on: September 01, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »
I'm not really ranting, I just have been asked to do something that I do not want to do, and I have tried to say no.... wait okay

I teach public school, I have 3 schools
School classes 20
After school classes at school one 2
After school classes at school two 4    (get paid extra)          TOTAL 26

Which is perfect, all three of my schools have different textbooks, and I mean completely different so recycling lessons still requires prep. My travel time every day is on average 2 hours a day. And my after school programs' curricula are legit. I do a full curriculum with projects based in Music, art and science, full lesson plans for the semester are submitted to the POE. I do all the prep work and buy all my own materials. And I am fine with it.

School one has now decided I know need to do another "conversation class", where ten students need to prepare a role play/play/story thing for the school open day or some sort. This class will also now be twice a week until the end of November.

I explained that I was already very busy and asked to discuss it today, which actually meant (to them) that today they would just give me the blank lesson plans for these new classes and to please have them completed by Tuesday.

I just don't want to add to my load. I don't. I don't care if everyone thinks it's not so bad. I .just.don't.want.to.do.it. I love my school, I don't want to upset anyone because I might want to renew...

I really want to throw a mini temper tantrum
Tell them no. You already have 26 classes and it's ridiculous to take on another one. Be firm and stand your ground. Don't discuss anything, just refuse to do it.

Rant: The science teachers came in to our office because apparently they have nothing better to do, and now they seem to be having a "who can shout and laugh the loudest" competition. Go awaaaayyyy.

Another rant: The third graders are brats. They have a reputation for being rude, and their attitude is something else. It doesn't help that most of the teachers just let the students walk all over them either.

This week felt very long and I'm sure glad it's over.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6486 on: September 01, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
@what?what?

you only need to teach mandatory overtime up to a total of 26 classes a week.

since you are already at 26 classes, you can refuse any extra classes.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6487 on: September 01, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
@what?what? --Politely insist that it's "impossible."  You are "so busy." 

My lower back is hurting and I have no idea why.  I don't recall doing anything out of the ordinary (much less anything strenuous).  Hoping it'll subside after a few days and that mild stretching and exercise will help.  Ugh

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6488 on: September 01, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
@what?what?

Ohhhhhh I did not know this! Thank you so very much
-A.A. Milne

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6489 on: September 04, 2017, 07:50:48 AM »
@what?what?

My attempt at explaining that 28 lessons a week may be a little much for me, has fallen on deaf ears. Also, they unaware that they have to pay me. Me thinks I may have to involve my POE.

Also, most frustrating is a conversation that somewhat went like this:(keep in mind that they want me to do a short play)  :angel: =me    :afro: = English head teacher

:angel:: How many students will be attending these extra extra classes?
 :afro:: We don't know.
 :angel:: Okay, well my lesson plans are due tomorrow and I  have to choose a play, so if I could have a rough idea that would be great. I don't want to do lesson plans for a play with 6 characters and I end up with 20 students, or with only 2.
 :afro:: Yes, I see.
 :angel:   :blank:
 :afro: Thank you for lesson plans tomorrow morning.
-A.A. Milne

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6490 on: September 04, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »
"I see," is the most frustrating sentence in Korean English.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6491 on: September 04, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
@what?what?

My attempt at explaining that 28 lessons a week may be a little much for me, has fallen on deaf ears. Also, they unaware that they have to pay me. Me thinks I may have to involve my POE.

Also, most frustrating is a conversation that somewhat went like this:(keep in mind that they want me to do a short play)  :angel: =me    :afro: = English head teacher

:angel:: Okay, well my lesson plans are due tomorrow and I  have to choose a play, so if I could have a rough idea that would be great. I don't want to do lesson plans for a play with 6 characters and I end up with 20 students, or with only 2.

I think you should involve the POE. Your school is being unrealistic and expecting too much.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6492 on: September 04, 2017, 09:12:29 AM »

Yeah, that would be super frustrating. My sympathies.

Maybe try: "I will give you a lesson plan when you give me approximate student numbers.".

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6493 on: September 04, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
Someone used the bowl I use for my lunch to microwave some sort of green sea trash. The worst/best part: they left it in the microwave to beep until the end of time, where it still currently sits.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #6494 on: September 04, 2017, 12:06:44 PM »
They've installed a bunch of shit on my work computer and it's almost unusuable. I want to go in and get rid of the problem programs, but they've already scheduled a tech to come in and take a look at it, so I'm leaving it alone for now to avoid a possible, "Well, THAT'S why the computer is working like shite, it's missing all these programs ~!"

I'll take care of it later.

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6495 on: September 04, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »
My co-teacher wants to do presentations, so I planned a lesson for that.

My co-teacher arrives late at school because of a small car accident and announces 10 minutes before class: "let's wait on the presentations, just do a fun lesson". We're talking a 50 min high school lesson where they can't free talk.

Luckily, I know how they role here so I always have a lesson up my sleeve. It could have all gone a bit pear-shaped, though.

donovan

« Reply #6496 on: September 04, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
I'm tired of people pretending like they understand what I'm saying.

I try very hard to speak simply around Korean friends/coworkers but I know sometimes things get lost on them. I can tell easily when they don't understand my most recent sentence but they just continue to nod and make noises as if they understand. Then I go back and ask them if they understood a certain word or phase and they admit that they didn't. Just TELL me so I can explain it in the moment.

I feel like a lot of foreigners here don't realize that their Korean friends don't understand them fully. I've watched people go on and on in English as if the Korean person they're talking to is following them 100% and the Korean person looks totally lost, but doesn't want to say so. The foreigner doesn't seem to care or realize.

I guess it's not that big of a deal in passing, but when I'm explaining something to my CT it's usually for a reason. And it just kind of sucks when you're trying to be friends with someone and you realize a lot of what you say isn't even registering with them.

I have a good friend from another Asian country and when she doesn't understand me, she lets me know (at least some of the time) and we figure out the problem. No this isn't necessary for every interaction but like... in some situations it's really important that you understand each other.

When a Korean is speaking to me and I say 네 it's usually my own personal shorthand for, "I don't understand, nor do I think it's possible for me to understand," or if I understood, "No, but I'm not able to explain why." If I truly understand/agree I'll give an 알겠습니다 or the like. Saves a lot of time :sad:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6497 on: September 04, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »
aaarghhhhhhhh I had been having such a good year and everything has been awesome and now shit is just rolling down hill.

I have no coteachers at my schools. The home room teachers sometimes stay sometimes don't. (I know they are supposed to stay, but whatever). This particular school. Initially, the VP got mad because the homeroom teachers would just leave when I came to teach, then he told them to stay in the classroom. So they stay when he is at the school and when he isn't then they do what they want.

Today, however, he has called me in and yelled at me because it is my job to make sure that I coteach properly with each home room teacher. He insists that this must be planned with each teacher before classes. I have 8 home room teachers (at this school), I don't even know what pages I am teaching until I am in the classroom, the only teacher that remembers to send me a message about what to teach is the grade 4-2 teacher, who lets me know the night before.

3 schools, 28 classes a week, 20 home room teachers, 3 different curriculums, 2 hours travel a day and now I should please meet and plan with each teacher how we will co-teach.... I was planning on staying another year, but I think I am going to change my mind here...
-A.A. Milne

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6498 on: September 04, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
I feel like a lot of foreigners here don't realize that their Korean friends don't understand them fully. I've watched people go on and on in English as if the Korean person they're talking to is following them 100% and the Korean person looks totally lost, but doesn't want to say so. The foreigner doesn't seem to care or realize.

yeah some people are really completely oblivious to it. a good friend of mine had a korean friend. and the 3 of us used to hang out. the korean dude's english was decent - i'd say high intermediate, he could understand like 80% of what we were talking about - but my friend just used to ramble on to him as if he was a native speaker, using all sorts of slang and americanisms that the poor guy had no hope of knowing.

the korean dude would sometimes give me this look of bewilderment and then i'd have to 'translate' what the other guy was saying but putting things into simple english and slowing down my speech.

but on the other side of the coin i've had koreans do the same thing to me. they'll just ramble on at machine-gun speed as if i'm a native speaker of korean. i mean come one, slow down a bit and use some simpler vocab please.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6499 on: September 04, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
aaarghhhhhhhh I had been having such a good year and everything has been awesome and now shit is just rolling down hill.

I have no coteachers at my schools. The home room teachers sometimes stay sometimes don't. (I know they are supposed to stay, but whatever). This particular school. Initially, the VP got mad because the homeroom teachers would just leave when I came to teach, then he told them to stay in the classroom. So they stay when he is at the school and when he isn't then they do what they want.

Today, however, he has called me in and yelled at me because it is my job to make sure that I coteach properly with each home room teacher. He insists that this must be planned with each teacher before classes. I have 8 home room teachers (at this school), I don't even know what pages I am teaching until I am in the classroom, the only teacher that remembers to send me a message about what to teach is the grade 4-2 teacher, who lets me know the night before.

3 schools, 28 classes a week, 20 home room teachers, 3 different curriculums, 2 hours travel a day and now I should please meet and plan with each teacher how we will co-teach.... I was planning on staying another year, but I think I am going to change my mind here...

I hear you on that. I have 6 schools with 15 coteachers. The ones I rarely see, I just stop them for like 5 seconds before I leave the class, ask what page is next, then let them know what kind of game I'll do (e.g. listening page next, listening game) try doing that and see if that helps calm him down. It's not a perfect system tho cuz if they dont bother to stick around, then you can't exactly talk to them. There's one CT I've legit not seen once this semester cuz he doesn't show up to my class and he leaves BEFORE i even get there then doesn't come back til way after I'm done teaching. I end up having to ask the kids what page they're on but then I can assume he'll teach the next page.

That dude made a bit of a fuss last week because my main contact at this school told me the class times would change this semester and he forgot. So he wasn't in class to teach and his students ended up going to look for him cuz I was teaching a diff class (the one I was supposed to be teaching) and there was no teacher for his class cuz he assumed I'd be there.