January 19, 2018, 03:33:23 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 649179 times)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #640 on: August 31, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
I wish my coteacher would realize that “Ah” is not is an acceptable answer to any question.

Me: “Did you print the worksheet?”
Her: “Aaahhhhh.”

Me: “Which powerpoint do you think is better?”
Her: ”Aaaaahhhhhh.” *nods emphatically*

Me: “How was your weekend?”
Her: “Aaaaahhhhhhh.” *goes back to her phone*

Getting a simple answer out of her that isn’t just "Aaaahhhhh" is like pulling teeth.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #641 on: August 31, 2016, 12:12:46 PM »
My secret bathroom's MERS soap ran out today.

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #642 on: August 31, 2016, 12:21:38 PM »
Soap in a bathroom..... What a novel concept!  :wink:

No soap in a bathroom is a pet peeve of mine.  Right up there with no paper towels or toilet paper.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #643 on: August 31, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
Soap in a bathroom..... What a novel concept!  :wink:

No soap in a bathroom is a pet peeve of mine.  Right up there with no paper towels or toilet paper.

My desk drawer in my office contains hand sanitizer, hand lotion, napkins, and wet wipes for exactly this issue. I suggest everyone keep a supply of the essentials and lock that drawer too.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #644 on: August 31, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »
I have only been teaching for 3 months, I literally only have 3 months experience and thats it. For the next 5 weeks I have to run 3 hour teacher training sessions where I have to teach Korean English teachers from my whole area how to teach English. WHAT THE??????????

I don't even know where to start with it to be honest. I just know I am going to feel so condescending standing infront of that class of experienced teachers telling them how I think they should teach.

Talk about being thrown in the deep end.

Jack, at the moment it might seem daunting and pain in the ass but seriously they will probably turn out to be your favorite class you teach.  They already have a good level of English, they can read etc and also most have very funny ideas and interesting points of view.  I had teachers' classes for two years and I don't think that I ever had to 'teach' them.  Most of the time the teachers are happy to get away from school for a bit, so you act as a kind of chairman in the class.  You direct the conversation, think up the class plans.  You can teach different things, but they will enjoy discussion, learning about culture (British culture would be good for them), idioms etc.  In the first class do an introduction and some icebreakers for that class and then that is it.  Will help you get a feel for them, dominant teachers, their level etc.  You could even ask them what they want to do and then give them some ideas.  It is up to you, and from experience, they want to enjoy the class and will be willing to help you with it.  You can be open with them and tell them you are a little nervous, that is to be expected.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #645 on: August 31, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »
I've been here for 5 years now and I am not fluent in Korean as much as I feel I should be. I studied for a while during my 2nd and 3rd year. I got kinda sick of studying and decided I wasn't going to be here much longer but I was wrong. I did learn a lot on my own watching dramas and speaking to people, and a little big of vocab study here and there but I've recently decided to get back into study and am going to take the beginners TOPIK exam in November. The grammar sucks so much and I'm so frustrated but trying really hard. I don't want to take a class so using Talk To Me in Korean books to study on my own.  힘들어요~

I came here with wanting to learn Korean in mind as well. A lot of my co-teachers who speak a bit of English were encouraging me to learn Korean, and even said I could practice with them, and this is as far as I got (other than learning the random word here and there).

I opened my book, the first bit was learning: My name is is (I think it was Je *name* imnida. and What is your name? (can't remember that at all) - I go to a few of my co-teachers to let them know I have started learning and just wanted to practice that little bit with them - they were fine with it as they weren't busy. The my name bit was good. What is your name though... I struggled greatly with the pronunciation, and all I got was "You are saying it wrong! Damn I hate foreigners mocking my language!" (not exact words, but it's close enough) after getting that from a few of the teachers, I said screw learning Korean. I can say hello and thank you, that is good enough for me until I leave. (While I have only been here 4 months, I'm still deciding if I'll renew; If I do, my 2nd year will be my last, then I will move on to China or Japan - probably Japan though.

I've heard of lots of other foreigners getting the same kind of treatment to learning Korean in Korea as well. As someone who loves learning languages, Korean is the first that I have ever given up on so quickly. (Korean would have been my 6th language if I wasn't discouraged). Of the 5 I have learnt, English and Japanese are the only ones I can really use, if only a little (Japanese), the other 3 I haven't done anything with for 15 years, so have forgotten all of it :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:56:33 PM by Kayos »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #646 on: August 31, 2016, 01:00:07 PM »
I have only been teaching for 3 months, I literally only have 3 months experience and thats it. For the next 5 weeks I have to run 3 hour teacher training sessions where I have to teach Korean English teachers from my whole area how to teach English. WHAT THE??????????

I don't even know where to start with it to be honest. I just know I am going to feel so condescending standing infront of that class of experienced teachers telling them how I think they should teach.

Jack, at the moment it might seem daunting and pain in the ass but seriously they will probably turn out to be your favorite class you teach.  They already have a good level of English, they can read etc and also most have very funny ideas and interesting points of view.  I had teachers' classes for two years and I don't think that I ever had to 'teach' them.  Most of the time the teachers are happy to get away from school for a bit, so you act as a kind of chairman in the class.  You direct the conversation, think up the class plans.  You can teach different things, but they will enjoy discussion, learning about culture (British culture would be good for them), idioms etc.  In the first class do an introduction and some icebreakers for that class and then that is it.  Will help you get a feel for them, dominant teachers, their level etc.  You could even ask them what they want to do and then give them some ideas.  It is up to you, and from experience, they want to enjoy the class and will be willing to help you with it.  You can be open with them and tell them you are a little nervous, that is to be expected.

I know what you're saying but it's not an adult conversation class, it's a class that she will teach on "How  to teach English." I've been here 3 years and I still wouldn't want to teach that. She's been here 3 months.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #647 on: August 31, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »

I think he's being asked to run training sessions on how to teach English, rather than just teaching the teachers.

Like I said this morning I'd steer well clear of that  :huh:

EDIT:  Yea, what CO2 said above ^
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:03:33 PM by The Arm »

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #648 on: August 31, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »
I think he's being asked to run training sessions on how to teach English, rather than just teaching the teachers.

Like I said this morning I'd steer well clear of that  :huh:

EDIT:  Yea, what CO2 said above ^

I know what you're saying but it's not an adult conversation class, it's a class that she will teach on "How  to teach English." I've been here 3 years and I still wouldn't want to teach that. She's been here 3 months.

Yep, see what you're both saying.  That could be hard if it is strictly that.  When I was given the teachers' classes, it was simply 'teaching the teachers' classes.  This could be similar, depends on the scope.  At the beginning of the year, I taught the teachers different ways to teach reading to students, using prediction, visualising, inferring and summarising.  Not ways they'd heard of before, could be a start.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #649 on: August 31, 2016, 02:22:42 PM »
I've been here for 5 years now and I am not fluent in Korean as much as I feel I should be. I studied for a while during my 2nd and 3rd year. I got kinda sick of studying and decided I wasn't going to be here much longer but I was wrong. I did learn a lot on my own watching dramas and speaking to people, and a little big of vocab study here and there but I've recently decided to get back into study and am going to take the beginners TOPIK exam in November. The grammar sucks so much and I'm so frustrated but trying really hard. I don't want to take a class so using Talk To Me in Korean books to study on my own.  힘들어요~

I came here with wanting to learn Korean in mind as well. A lot of my co-teachers who speak a bit of English were encouraging me to learn Korean, and even said I could practice with them, and this is as far as I got (other than learning the random word here and there).

I opened my book, the first bit was learning: My name is is (I think it was Je *name* imnida. and What is your name? (can't remember that at all) - I go to a few of my co-teachers to let them know I have started learning and just wanted to practice that little bit with them - they were fine with it as they weren't busy. The my name bit was good. What is your name though... I struggled greatly with the pronunciation, and all I got was "You are saying it wrong! Damn I hate foreigners mocking my language!" (not exact words, but it's close enough) after getting that from a few of the teachers, I said screw learning Korean. I can say hello and thank you, that is good enough for me until I leave. (While I have only been here 4 months, I'm still deciding if I'll renew; If I do, my 2nd year will be my last, then I will move on to China or Japan - probably Japan though.

I've heard of lots of other foreigners getting the same kind of treatment to learning Korean in Korea as well. As someone who loves learning languages, Korean is the first that I have ever given up on so quickly. (Korean would have been my 6th language if I wasn't discouraged). Of the 5 I have learnt, English and Japanese are the only ones I can really use, if only a little (Japanese), the other 3 I haven't done anything with for 15 years, so have forgotten all of it :P
I've never been mocked for speaking Korean. I've actually been told my pronunciation is pretty good. Sorry you had that experience. I would never ask my co workers to help though, personally. I joined a language exchange group and that is a little bit more comfortable for me. Maybe you should find one in your area?

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #650 on: August 31, 2016, 02:34:46 PM »

I've never been mocked for speaking Korean. I've actually been told my pronunciation is pretty good. Sorry you had that experience. I would never ask my co workers to help though, personally. I joined a language exchange group and that is a little bit more comfortable for me. Maybe you should find one in your area?

I've done the speaking Korean with co-workers thing and it's hit or miss. Some of them are really cool about it and others are complete dicks.

There is a degree of mocking that is seen as acceptable here that I haven't found elsewhere when a non-native speaks the language.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #651 on: August 31, 2016, 02:39:32 PM »

It wasn't that I was getting mocked, they just seemed to be personally taking offense to me not getting it on the first try. I get told I have perfect pronunciation on the few things I know (mostly words that sounds very similar to Japanese words, so it makes them easy for me), but when they don't have that similarity, I am struggling a lot.

As for the language exchange, I got told on my first day about a group that does it, but no one seems to have any information on when and where they meet. :/ Or if it is still going.
I have a couple Korean friends I probably could practice, but they are not anywhere near me and often busy. :( which is why I jumped at my co-teachers offers to practice initially. I figured, they are teachers, they understand the difficulties of learning other languages, it should be ok.
I know of one a town over from me, but they meet on a day / time that I can't make it. :(

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #652 on: August 31, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »

It wasn't that I was getting mocked, they just seemed to be personally taking offense to me not getting it on the first try. I get told I have perfect pronunciation on the few things I know (mostly words that sounds very similar to Japanese words, so it makes them easy for me), but when they don't have that similarity, I am struggling a lot.

As for the language exchange, I got told on my first day about a group that does it, but no one seems to have any information on when and where they meet. :/ Or if it is still going.
I have a couple Korean friends I probably could practice, but they are not anywhere near me and often busy. :( which is why I jumped at my co-teachers offers to practice initially. I figured, they are teachers, they understand the difficulties of learning other languages, it should be ok.
I know of one a town over from me, but they meet on a day / time that I can't make it. :(

Out of interest, how did you know they were mocking you? I don't mean that in a I don't believe you way but did they say it English or Korean?

I've had this happen countless times, people laughing in my face or bluntly correcting me on the smallest thing, at first I took it very personally and it would piss me off but now I've studied more and been here longer I sort of get that it's rarely meant in a bad way.

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #653 on: August 31, 2016, 02:45:10 PM »

This behavior is actually common among some co-teachers who teach with foreigners who try to learn Korean as a brand new second language. I can't exactly put my finger down on the reason 100% accurately, but I suspect it has to do with the co-teacher's own insecurities as well as the foreign teacher's intellect suddenly seeming to drop down an entire 40 IQ points as they struggle with a new language. I doubt that the CTs who mock the poster's Korean pronunciation would say the same to a stranger on the street, but they would probably still feel offended if a very foreign looking person who looks like they should speak English tries to speak Korean to them.

Most CTs who mock foreigner's pronunciation of Korean also have an insecurity about their own English pronunciation and an obsession with perfectionism.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #654 on: August 31, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »
Re: current conversation on learning Korean

Anyone else get the Korean StareTM? You know, when you say something in what you know is perfectly comprehensible Korean and they look at you like you just sprouted a second head and don't even respond to what you said? I feel like that's definitely been the biggest deterrent to me learning Korean in Korea. I still study vocab every day and I got a dang minor in Korean back in university,  but both while studying abroad in Korea and now that I'm working here I felt that Koreans really don't want to speak to Korean language learners.

Probably even worse is when you're struggling to express yourself and they don't offer any words to help. Personally, even before getting licensed to teach and coming over here, if I was talking to a non-native speaker and what they were saying was confusing, I'd ask clarifying questions or suggest words or rephrase what they were saying to make sure I understood. I never get that here. Just the blank stare. Talk about demoralizing!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #655 on: August 31, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »

Out of interest, how did you know they were mocking you? I don't mean that in a I don't believe you way but did they say it English or Korean?

I've had this happen countless times, people laughing in my face or bluntly correcting me on the smallest thing, at first I took it very personally and it would piss me off but now I've studied more and been here longer I sort of get that it's rarely meant in a bad way.

It depends, if you're constantly being stopped over minor grammatical stuff, that's shitty. As long as my message is getting through, then listen and we can talk about some of the mistakes I made later.

I asked my GF how to say "your" and she said 너의. Boom, put that in the memory for her brother's wedding tomorrow.

We arrived, and my GF's mom was wearing a hanbok so I started to say "너의 한복 정말 예쁜에요" Gotta put the yo on there, it's my GF's mom!

As soon as I said hanbok my GF yells at me "엄마의!"  >:(

Jesus Christ, I'm trying to tell someone that what they're wearing is nice. Can I at least finish the goddamn sentence before I get the whole nine yards? And everyone knows my Korean was shit back then, I would never refer to someone in the third person. When I'm talking to you, it's you. Cut me some damn slack.

I didn't say a single word in Korean the rest of the wedding. "Why were you so quiet for the reception?"

Oh, I don't know, getting snapped at on the second word out of my mouth didn't help.   :rolleyes:

If you honestly don't understand the point someone is trying to make, ASK for clarification. If they're screwing up now and then, keep them talking, they'll learn a lot more by practicing, not from a "real-time correction service."

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #656 on: August 31, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »

Was said in English, they were getting angry, you could tell by tone of voice and facial expressions. I don't remember the exact things said, but it was pretty close to what I mentioned - hate foreigners mocking their language. It was very discouraging. Also, they have never offered to let me practice with them again and don't even encourage me to try anymore. Both stopped after that failed attempt.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #657 on: August 31, 2016, 03:05:57 PM »
Re: current conversation on learning Korean

Anyone else get the Korean StareTM? You know, when you say something in what you know is perfectly comprehensible Korean and they look at you like you just sprouted a second head and don't even respond to what you said? I feel like that's definitely been the biggest deterrent to me learning Korean in Korea. I still study vocab every day and I got a dang minor in Korean back in university,  but both while studying abroad in Korea and now that I'm working here I felt that Koreans really don't want to speak to Korean language learners.

Probably even worse is when you're struggling to express yourself and they don't offer any words to help. Personally, even before getting licensed to teach and coming over here, if I was talking to a non-native speaker and what they were saying was confusing, I'd ask clarifying questions or suggest words or rephrase what they were saying to make sure I understood. I never get that here. Just the blank stare. Talk about demoralizing!

The bolded part I do all the time with my Non-english native friends. I will only correct it if they really need a high level english for work or school. For outside of school I go by, if I understood it, it's fine.

Offline cjszk

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #658 on: August 31, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »

Was said in English, they were getting angry, you could tell by tone of voice and facial expressions. I don't remember the exact things said, but it was pretty close to what I mentioned - hate foreigners mocking their language. It was very discouraging. Also, they have never offered to let me practice with them again and don't even encourage me to try anymore. Both stopped after that failed attempt.

It sounds to me like they mocked you so that you would give up trying to learn Korean because they want you to only speak English. It is 100% beneficial for them if you speak English only. It is not beneficial for them to have you speak Korean, and it takes a lot of effort to teach a beginner a new language. They probably don't like the effort part either. A lot of Koreans like foreigners who speak Korean because it is convenient. However, the Koreans who try hard to learn English really dislike foreigners who try to learn Korean. They see them as an obstacle, and why should they teach a foreigner Korean when they can get 100% English-only immersion from another?

If your Korean CTs are serious about learning English, it's very likely they hold insecurities about their own English pronunciation, so they mock your Korean, don't want to put forth effort to teach you Korean because they only want your English, so on so forth.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #659 on: August 31, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »
Could it be that Koreans inability to learn English and their inability to teach Korean are the same thing?

Anyway, I have worked out there is no need to learn Korean simply because it's a language that offers no opportunity.

If a non English speaking person learns English, it's a great advantage for them. There are other advantages for an English speaking people to learn other languages too, for example you can learn Spanish, and that allows you to do all sorts of things and opens new relationships with people of many different cultures. What does learning Korean as a foreigner enable you to do? Teach at a hagwon once the government scraps EPIK for $2000 a month living in a mold infested 1 room?