August 16, 2018, 02:13:32 AM

Author Topic: 2015 Grade 5 YBM 1 - 6. What’s In The Zoo?  (Read 14064 times)

Offline smiling123

• Veteran
Re: 2015 Grade 5 YBM 1 - 6. What’s In The Zoo?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
Here some game the batman and speaking game. thank you . My students love this game ....

Offline warren_king

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »
some stuff from me. we're a little bit behind now since my school was closed for a bit due to MERS.

1) Animals of the world intro ppt
2) Dice bingo - took this idea from someone else from another chapter, and edited it. kudos to the original creator. If 2 students land on the same square i just told them they can both write their names there. You need to edit this as it has my initials as well as my co-teacher's initials in it.
3) Brief robots intro ppt to go along with the story pot
4) Sleeping elephants game for the story pot, and a short word search (i use this as a warm-up for the story pot)
5) Matching game - this is for Period 3. The way I played is to split students into groups. When they get a match, the other groups have to ask: "What's the same?" and the group must answer, e.g., "they are both tigers." Then, the other students have to ask: "What's different?" and the group must answer, e.g., "their color is different", "their age is different", "their number is different", and so on. I deliberately chose pictures so that at least 1 thing would be different between the animals, e.g., age, color, etc. Thanks to Zeegs i think for the original template i used here.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:39:13 PM by warren_king »

Offline dbatley41

• Newgookin
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 03:09:54 PM »
This is an information gap activity.  There are two worksheets (Part A and Part B) in my attached document.  Each part has some information missing that the other part will have.  So students work in pairs and each student in the pair should have a different part.  Then they ask each other questions to fill in the gaps on their worksheet.  Good for reading, speaking, and writing.

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »
I found this Venn diagram and had the students compare cats and dogs.  We put them into small groups and had them brainstorm together.  After some time we had each group stand up and say two things they came up with.  It actually went really well.

I did have some interesting answers though, like one class said one thing that is the same with cats and dogs is people eat them.  :huh:

Offline ohar94

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 12:36:27 PM »
Here are two different motivations:

One is to introduce students to answering the questions "what's in the box,"

the other is to discuss about "what's different" and "what's the same"

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:14 AM »
A good old 'what's the difference?' with an answer slide to go along. Good for motivation.  If they can't form a sentence because they don't know the word for the object I sometimes get them to come up to the board with a pointer and go 'this is different.'

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »
Animal sounds.  Random middle school type camp or other lesson.  If you have some extra free time, you can use this to get the kids excited and to kill time. 

Offline JC49

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »
I made this powerpont as motivation. I asked my students have they ever been to Chidrens

Grand park in  Park and show them what kind of animals they can expect to see there.

Offline janet1992

• Super Waygook
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 01:04:31 PM »
This is a really odd lesson, so I did my best to make this Ninja making sentences game.
Goes through the many random vocabulary of the book and practices plurals and colors also.

Hope it helps someone out.

Offline CatBandit

• Waygookin
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
Comprehension quiz I quickly put together for Story 2. Went over well with the kids.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 07:48:44 AM »
Speaking activity:

I have 6 students in this class. So I gave each one a bag with 2 like items inside (scissors, cups, crayons, potatoes, etc). I asked them the key expression "What's in the bag?" and they each had to answer (it was a surprise!). Then I would ask them the "what's the same/different" key expression and they had to come up with their own answers based on what I had given them. This was a great way to make sure no one just copied what another student had said before.

I also did something similar with homework. I had a box (labeled erasers) full of with different sized dice. I made the students come in between classes to have a one on one conversation with me about the dice. I would give them different dice combinations to make them think about what they could say was the same/different.

Offline janet1992

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 08:41:20 AM »
Snakes and ladders game I used as a warm up. They have to land on the square and say the appropriate There is or There are sentences using the animals and numbers on the board.

Offline okapifire

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »
Kor/Eng translations for students to practice comprehension. Good if you don't have a Korean coteacher. Story 1, 2, Story Pot.

Offline Joyfuo8070

• Newgookin
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 02:44:21 PM »

awesome!

Offline skate_katt

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 03:20:58 PM »
Hello~

Just thought I'd post a few small things I've got prepared for this lesson. I'm thinking I'll probably use these as either extra fillers for other lessons, or I'll assign them as the "mission" (homework) for the day. I promise that they're nothing fancy, just a few extras to have on-hand. I don't think I saw anything like these on here, but I really only skimmed. If there already is something similar, I'm sorry!

The one is more focused on is/are, and they make their own zoo. They'll fill out the chart at the top ("There are (number) (animal)")and then they'll draw in the mini "zoo" at the bottom. My thinking is that there are 4 exhibits (the squares) and a walkway so they can have 4 kinds of animals and then they can draw one additional thing if they'd like - a restroom, a restaurant, etc. I haven't had the chance to do it with my classes yet, so I can't tell you how it goes.

Then I have a find the difference game. Since the chapter is about the zoo and 2 of the vocab words are "same" and "different", I found a spot the difference online (thanks to the person who created it!) and just put it on a word doc (3x paper, we always use partial papers so the students can glue the worksheets into their notebooks). The second page of the word doc is an answer key.

I've also made an interactive answer PPT. Click on the picture on the left (where there's a difference) and a red circle will appear on both sides to show the students where the differences are. Make sure your PPT is set to 16:9 otherwise everything might be off with the clicking animations.

Edit:
So sorry, just realized that I forgot to attach the make your own zoo worksheet!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:36:44 PM by skate_katt »