June 20, 2018, 12:21:17 AM

Author Topic: Singapore Summit: Trump meets Kim  (Read 2032 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: Singapore Summit: Trump meets Kim
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
He inherited a system where you have to kill to survive. It's not his fault that he was born into that. What's he supposed to do? Allow himself to be murdered by people who seek his power? I think you'd kill someone who was gunning for your blood too.

As for me, I'm an angry guy. There are people who have pissed me off enough that I wish I had KJU's power.

It’s a sad reality that he probably couldn’t be in the position he’s in today without the willingness to ruthlessly execute others. Let’s just hope it’s not the country’s eternal destiny to have such leaders. They probably won’t be able to break that cycle until they can get beyond the House of Kim.

As for you, that’s a lot of anger to carry around with you. I’m sorry to have been snarky about it.

Online Adel

• Super Waygook
  • Pants down
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »
Putin should be happy with the Chump-Kim deal if it really does mean an end to those military exercises.

https://www.politico.eu/article/trump-russia-putin-us-army-chief-presses-on-military-exercises/

Perhaps that played a role in Chump's off-script suggestion.  :undecided:

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »
He inherited a system where you have to kill to survive. It's not his fault that he was born into that. What's he supposed to do? Allow himself to be murdered by people who seek his power? I think you'd kill someone who was gunning for your blood too.

As for me, I'm an angry guy. There are people who have pissed me off enough that I wish I had KJU's power.

It’s a sad reality that he probably couldn’t be in the position he’s in today without the willingness to ruthlessly execute others. Let’s just hope it’s not the country’s eternal destiny to have such leaders. They probably won’t be able to break that cycle until they can get beyond the House of Kim.

I think Kim is looking to turn his country around, but that can't be done overnight. If you make sudden changes in a dictatorship, you get deposed and hung.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 05:16:54 PM »
I've been watching various outlets' coverage and I have to say that China is included far less than I think it should be. Bloomberg has been more to my liking, but I think a lot of the coverage is missing the most important player in this whole situation.

I think anything KJU does need to get the okay from Xi.

I also think that participation trophies should be passed around.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »

I think Kim is looking to turn his country around, but that can't be done overnight. If you make sudden changes in a dictatorship, you get deposed and hung.

I *hope* Chairman Kim is looking to turn his country around (Only Rodman really knows), but I wouldn’t pin it all on a vaguely worded two-page document. Given the country’s past, and what is known about Kim himself, a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 09:06:42 PM »

As for you, that’s a lot of anger to carry around with you. I’m sorry to have been snarky about it.
That ain't happening for a very long time.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »
Me hate Trump.

Me think he too successful.

Me want America economy to collapse.

Me want North Korea to attack.

Me have Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Me retarded.
One out of six; you're never going to make it to the majors with that average.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2018, 07:34:20 AM »
Like this BTL comment:

“... the next two and a half years, something like that.”

Sorry, Mr. Secretary, that won’t cut it. President Barack Obama’s deal with Iran had timetables, an agreement, please recall, that you criticized with vigor when you were a Tea Party foot soldier in the House from Kansas.

Now that you’re in the big leagues, you’re trying to palm off on the American people a C-League timetable for a major league proposal. And why do you find “insulting, frankly,” a query from the working press about necessary verification and the disarmament of nuclear warheads and the destruction of uranium-producing and enriching sites? President Obama saw to these complexities—and more—but when you’re asked what this means, you puff up your ruffles and become defensive. Why not, sir, just admit what the entire world—including North Korea—knows: you have no idea what’s in the thin page-and-a-half communique.

If President Obama’s deal with Iran had been as sloppy as this one, you’d have called for his impeachment yesterday. And you know it.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2018, 08:10:16 AM »
The fact is that no one, either pro-Trump or anti-Trump can draw any firm conclusions off of this summit.

It was largely a feeling-out meeting and both sides gave up things they can easily take back.

One side is declaring Nobel Prize for Trump, the other is declaring the deal an instant disaster.

Relax people.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2018, 08:59:28 AM »
The fact is that no one, either pro-Trump or anti-Trump can draw any firm conclusions off of this summit.

It was largely a feeling-out meeting and both sides gave up things they can easily take back.

One side is declaring Nobel Prize for Trump, the other is declaring the deal an instant disaster.

Relax people.

Kim gets global recognition, South Korea/US joint drills will finish, sanctions will be relaxed. 

Trump got nothing.  'Denuclearisation' is a phrase that has been used since 1992, so nothing new came of that then.  Even mentioning to the South Koreans and Japanese he would cancel the drills, might have been nice.

This 'summit' reeked of not being prepared, which Trump boasted about.  He wasn't prepared, panicked and signed.  His bluster and 'sizing him up in a minute' was all to appeal to his dumb base. 

Following so quickly on the heals of the G7 summit where Trump acted like such a coont to his 'allies', and this summit was more important to his image, is beggars belief.  It would have been possible to do both with diligence and honesty, but maybe that's a step too far.  Obama could have done both!!!   :afro:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »

Kim gets global recognition, South Korea/US joint drills will finish, sanctions will be relaxed. 

Global Recognition? What exactly changes? Is Merkel suddenly going "Trump talked to Kim? That changes everything!!!" Are Kim's people suddenly lining up to cheer him without firing squad motivation? Give me a break.

Those drills and sanctions can instantly be restarted if North Korean reneges on its pledge to denuclearize.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »

Global Recognition? What exactly changes? Is Merkel suddenly going "Trump talked to Kim? That changes everything!!!" Are Kim's people suddenly lining up to cheer him without firing squad motivation? Give me a break.

Those drills and sanctions can instantly be restarted if North Korean reneges on its pledge to denuclearize.

Iran are thinking, 'hey, we had a nuclear agreement too', the other G7 countries are thinking, 'he prioritised this cheesy photo op with flimsy deal to leave our summit early and piss us off?'.  North Korean state media is already showing how their 'Supreme Leader' won.  Kim -1 Trump -0 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »
Iran are thinking, 'hey, we had a nuclear agreement too', the other G7 countries are thinking, 'he prioritised this cheesy photo op with flimsy deal to leave our summit early and piss us off?'.  North Korean state media is already showing how their 'Supreme Leader' won.  Kim -1 Trump -0
North Korean media would say their leader won no matter what happened in the negotiations.

Iran was still a pariah after the sanctions. They were also engaging in a proxy war in Syria and Yemen. We can still renegotiate a deal that will have the backing of both political parties in the U.S.

The G7 countries are big boys. They aren't going anywhere. Again, we're talking symbolic stuff that can be changed at a moment's notice.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
I agree with Martin on this one.

a) Nothing has actually happened yet
b) The things that may happen are entirely reversible

You have to talk first, to be able talk some more later. Trump has shown some good will here, weather it goes anywhere is another matter.

I saw someone something like "Some time over the last few decades everyone seems to have come to agreement that having normal conversations with other countries is a reward and not a morally neutral act. This and all the legitimacy talk comes from an age when the US decided what tyrants were in and which were out. It's a different world now"
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
I agree with Martin on this one.

a) Nothing has actually happened yet
b) The things that may happen are entirely reversible

You have to talk first, to be able talk some more later. Trump has shown some good will here, weather it goes anywhere is another matter.

I saw someone something like "Some time over the last few decades everyone seems to have come to agreement that having normal conversations with other countries is a reward and not a morally neutral act. This and all the legitimacy talk comes from an age when the US decided what tyrants were in and which were out. It's a different world now"

It's very true! But all the talk before the summit was how Trump was going to get such a great deal with North Korea on that first meeting.

Can you imagine Obama sitting down with the Iranian President and afterwards coming out saying: "There is a strong wish on both sides to denuclearize the Arabian Peninsula." Then to also come out later and say: "I'm scaling back US Navy maneuvers in the Persian Gulf." He would have been absolutely slaughtered by the Republicans for such a weak decision.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
It's very true! But all the talk before the summit was how Trump was going to get such a great deal with North Korea on that first meeting.
That's not what was said. That's what some people chose to hear.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »

Trump tweeted about expecting a “real deal”. Nothing has progressed since the Moon/Kim meeting.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »

'Meetings between staffs and representatives are going well and quickly....but in the end, that doesn’t matter. We will all know soon whether or not a real deal, unlike those of the past, can happen!'

DT - June 12th

“POTUS is not going to let a Canadian prime minister push him around … on the eve of this,” Larry Kudlow told CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday. “He’s not going to permit any show of weakness on the trip to negotiations with North Korea.

Kudlow

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters on Monday that the “complete and verifiable and irreversible denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula is the only outcome that the United States will accept

Pompeo on Monday

Face it, he didn't prepare, he didn't gain anything for all his bluster from him or his camp.  I agree, nothing actually happened yet, but from all the hot air that was extruded from Trump and his camp, he got nothing concrete on his main aims.  Just that North Korea has some great beaches that could do with a condo or some real estate.   :rolleyes:  Which in the end is one of Trump's main interests.  Furthering his and his horrible family's business interests. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/13/trump-white-house-donald-ivanka-jared-clinton

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:52:02 PM by Dave Stepz »

Online AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2018, 02:52:11 PM »

Trump tweeted about expecting a “real deal”. Nothing has progressed since the Moon/Kim meeting.

So it was typed, not said. Mr. DeMartino remains correct, and you'd be wise to know he will continue on that path.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »

So it was typed, not said. Mr. DeMartino remains correct, and you'd be wise to know he will continue on that path.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/say

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018