October 22, 2018, 04:30:57 PM

Author Topic: Our private elementary school continues to teach 1st and 2nd graders English..  (Read 820 times)

Offline Choirs

• Veteran
You might have remembered recently about the (admittedly ridiculous) ruling on disallowing 1st and 2nd grade Korean elementary students to learn English in afternoon afterschool classes.

Well, our private elementary school disregarded all that and instead decided to rebrand 1st 2nd grade English classes as 'Global citizen education' and to keep the classes going exactly the same. Furthermore they are getting extra cheeky by having the classes in the morning as well as afternoon (before the ruling law stated that they were only allowed to learn English in the afternoon.)

By grace I am not the teacher for these 1st and 2nd grade classes so it has not greatly bothered me what they're doing. But they now may be finally roping me into this by asking me to conduct summer camp with them with their current teachers.

An English summer camp with 1st and 2nd graders would be completely illegal teaching right? Am I right to say as such and refuse to teach these classes if asked?

Offline didinicks

• Waygookin
Wow. This sounds like a very tricky matter, as it sounds like things have to do more with internal politics/relationships than the law at your school. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I'd say yes, you can say no to the offer and if I were in your position, personally, I'd play a bit naive.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
An English summer camp with 1st and 2nd graders would be completely illegal teaching right? Am I right to say as such and refuse to teach these classes if asked?

There is such a ban, yes: effective from March. It would be illegal for you to teach them.. yes. If you are in any doubt you could always call the labour hotline for advice (without giving your name or your school).

You are right to say so and to refuse those classes. It may well be that nothing happens if you do teach them. However I believe you are wise to do so, because whenever Korean employers break the law it is the foreigner that gets punished. And immi likes to raid summer camps. So you may as well look after yourself. What can your employer do about it? Zero. If they tried anything you would only have to threaten to call the labour board and they'd cave.

There will be consequences of some sort though, are you ready for them? ie..they could try to make the rest of your year a misery with extra work or other tactics. Certainly they will view it as a betrayal and you stand zero chance of being renewed, for example.
Catch my drift?

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
Not only is it against the new law, but a "Global Citizen Education" class would be against the terms of your E-2 visa. They probably know and don't care.

Offline Choirs

• Veteran

There is such a ban, yes: effective from March. It would be illegal for you to teach them.. yes. If you are in any doubt you could always call the labour hotline for advice (without giving your name or your school).

You are right to say so and to refuse those classes. It may well be that nothing happens if you do teach them. However I believe you are wise to do so, because whenever Korean employers break the law it is the foreigner that gets punished. And immi likes to raid summer camps. So you may as well look after yourself. What can your employer do about it? Zero. If they tried anything you would only have to threaten to call the labour board and they'd cave.

There will be consequences of some sort though, are you ready for them? ie..they could try to make the rest of your year a misery with extra work or other tactics. Certainly they will view it as a betrayal and you stand zero chance of being renewed, for example.

Would you kindly let me know this anonymous labor hotline number? Thank you.

Offline Choirs

• Veteran
Not only is it against the new law, but a "Global Citizen Education" class would be against the terms of your E-2 visa. They probably know and don't care.

I am on an F visa, does this change things?

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan

Would you kindly let me know this anonymous labor hotline number? Thank you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=korea+labor+hotline

Phone Counselling service is available Monday thru Friday between 9:00 AM and 6:00PM
Foreign Workers can call: 1350 Ext 5  (from outside Korea +82-52-702-5089 Ext 5)  or  031-345-5000 / +82-31-345-500)
Foreign Employers can call: 031-345-5200 (from outside Korea 82-31-345-5200).
The International Cooperation Bureau (according to the MOEL website provides information on the MOEL homepage and policies. Tel: 02-2110-7436/7445 (82-2-21100-7436/7445) or email: molab506@moel.go.kr
For more information on the Employment Permit System, you can contact the Foreign Workforce Policy Division at 02-2110-7198 (82-2-2110-7198)

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook

I am on an F visa, does this change things?

Yes, I think that changes things. As far as I know, you're not breaking the terms of your visa and shouldn't have any liability, but I'm no lawyer.

donovan

Well, our private elementary school disregarded all that and instead decided to rebrand 1st 2nd grade English classes as 'Global citizen education' and to keep the classes going exactly the same.

I can't help you, but I wanted to add that my public school nearly did the same thing with me. Scheduling this year was kind of funny and they were floating the idea of having me teach the first graders a "culture" class to skirt the 'no English class' law. Luckily that's not the way it ended up, otherwise I might also be on the line with the labor board.

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
Well, our private elementary school disregarded all that and instead decided to rebrand 1st 2nd grade English classes as 'Global citizen education' and to keep the classes going exactly the same.

I can't help you, but I wanted to add that my public school nearly did the same thing with me. Scheduling this year was kind of funny and they were floating the idea of having me teach the first graders a "culture" class to skirt the 'no English class' law. Luckily that's not the way it ended up, otherwise I might also be on the line with the labor board.

One of the NET's in my area was given those classes. And a news article that said that the rule making it illegal to do had been put on hold due to public backlash at the idea of it.
I remember reading that article and thinking it looked legit too. But I don't have the link to it anymore :\

Offline teacher0344

• Explorer
So....with all the grade 1 and 2 classes eliminated....what do you guys do with all the extra time?
Did your school give you more after school classes with grade 3-6? Or do you just have more deskwarming time now?