August 17, 2018, 09:39:20 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Seoul to place 561 native English teachers at elementary schools  (Read 3253 times)

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
Seoul to place 561 native English teachers at elementary schools

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/04/181_246745.html

The SMOE is planning to dispatch 561 native speakers of English as teaching assistants in all public elementary schools around the capital, starting next year.

Currently, there are 337 native teachers at 351 public elementary schools in Seoul. The native teaching assistants cover English classes during the day and afterschool as well as conducting English camps during school breaks. The SMOE plans to dispatch 100 additional native assistant teachers by 2019, who will be assigned to teach in 210 elementary schools.

"The parents have been fond of the program as their children have more access to foreign teachers," said Jeong Jin-kewon, a junior supervisor at the Seoul education office. "The classrooms in Seoul average 20 to 25 students per class. The students will have the opportunity to talk one on one with a native English speaking teacher during the day and in afterschool English courses."

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Re: Seoul to place 561 native English teachers at elementary schools
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
The native teaching assistants cover English classes during the day and afterschool as well as conducting English camps during school breaks.

Sounds like they're a bit more than "assistants".

More like carrying the full workload for the Korean teacher.
Catch my drift?

Offline tadpole511

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 06:40:08 PM »
The native teaching assistants cover English classes during the day and afterschool as well as conducting English camps during school breaks.

I mean, it's the same amount of work that normal public school native teachers do through public schools around the country already.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »

Just because you have a crappy division of responsibilities doesn't mean everyone else does.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
"The South Korean government has banned after school English classes for first and second grade starting this year. Parents have been worried about their children falling behind and an increasing number of students have enrolled in English private education."

wasn't it decided grade 1 and 2 children can't learn english and korean at the same time? but...now it's a worry that grade 1 and 2 children who attend english hagwons will be too far ahead by grade 3. so which is it?

Offline slycordinator

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
"The South Korean government has banned after school English classes for first and second grade starting this year. Parents have been worried about their children falling behind and an increasing number of students have enrolled in English private education."

wasn't it decided grade 1 and 2 children can't learn english and korean at the same time? but...now it's a worry that grade 1 and 2 children who attend english hagwons will be too far ahead by grade 3. so which is it?
But the people who say they are worried aren't the people who made the decision. The government made a decision and now parents are voicing concern over the likely result of that decision.

Offline sweetkat

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »
and the pendulum swings again.....

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:01:04 PM »
I would love to return to Korea right now.

Offline didinicks

• Waygookin
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 07:32:21 AM »
This sounds great!!

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 03:40:40 AM »
But will they be able to handle the Korean elementary school curriculum? I'm all for diversity, but when you throw people in the deep end of the pool, they have a habit of drowning.

Maybe they'll place them in remedial classes.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »
Be interesting to see the hiring requirements. Under 25 with a pulse?

Because unless Korea starts to get some common sense and hire based on qualifications and experience, the same thing will happen 3 years down the road, ie media reports demonizing "unqualified teachers" followed by jealous KT's voting to shelve the program.

Even China has higher standards than Korea (TEFL cert, 2 years exp)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:38:08 AM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 02:02:35 AM »
The public schools indeed classify the foreigner as an "assistant" and has for decades.

People keep asking me why I choose hagwons and have for 15 years and the fact is it is MY room, I choose the lessons, heck half the time I choose the book, and I certainly pick selectively from texts the other half of the years when books were expected to be covered.

A real teacher wants small classes (certainly not more than 12 students, ideally about 8), freedom in lesson planning (no tests to teach to, no oversight or so-called "co-teacher" influence, and materials they themselves assemble, whether it be instead of the assigned text or complementary to it.

The satisfaction I have showing up to work 90 minutes before my first class and beginning in high gear and keeping it up until the last class ends and I head home, simply 100% focussed on prep and teaching for the 4 to 6 hours of each of 4 to 5 days a week I'm scheduled to work, has kept me happy and content for a decade and a half.

I think the increase in public elementary school teachers is a good thing that lets the hagwon stars shine more, reinforcing their confidence, and if it puts more pressure onthe provinces to try and match it then so be it - as I've always worked in smaller communities far south of the capital.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:05:18 AM by VanIslander »

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
People keep asking me why I choose hagwons and have for 15 years

fair play to ye but haven't you missed having time off to travel with all those back-to-back contracts?

Vietnam? India? Mongolia? Those are the main reasons i work in Korea and get a D10 at the end of every contract. That way i get to see two or three other countries per year.
Catch my drift?

Online Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »
Who cares how many foreign teachers are in classrooms? That fact is meaningless unless the Korean teachers that work alongside the FT's as well as principals and VP's stop meddling and micro-managing.

Oh yeah, it would also help to demand the students perform instead of play. 
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Offline shanebarry1986

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 12:55:42 PM »
seems it would be more beneficial to put native speakers in middle/high schools instead, where students will be learning more advanced english, and korean teachers might struggle with natural utterances (or grammar)

teaching 'this is an apple' doesn't really require two teachers to be in the classroom

the textbooks also don't help either. they are all truly utterly, utterly shit

donovan

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »
seems it would be more beneficial to put native speakers in middle/high schools instead, where students will be learning more advanced english, and korean teachers might struggle with natural utterances (or grammar)

teaching 'this is an apple' doesn't really require two teachers to be in the classroom

the textbooks also don't help either. they are all truly utterly, utterly shit

디스 이즈 앤 에플. 따라해봐.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 05:25:54 PM »
lets the hagwon stars shine more

lol

Yeah stupid hagwon teachers, they should be more cool and hip like public school NET's who sit around doing nothing most of the time openly wasting taxpayer money and then wonder why their province suddenly ran out of Englishee funding.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 11:52:54 PM »
Yeah stupid hagwon teachers, they should be more cool and hip like public school NET's who sit around doing nothing most of the time openly wasting taxpayer money and then wonder why their province suddenly ran out of Englishee funding.
**** you

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 11:58:36 PM »
The public schools indeed classify the foreigner as an "assistant" and has for decades.

People keep asking me why I choose hagwons and have for 15 years and the fact is it is MY room, I choose the lessons, heck half the time I choose the book, and I certainly pick selectively from texts the other half of the years when books were expected to be covered.

A real teacher wants small classes (certainly not more than 12 students, ideally about 8), freedom in lesson planning (no tests to teach to, no oversight or so-called "co-teacher" influence, and materials they themselves assemble, whether it be instead of the assigned text or complementary to it.

The satisfaction I have showing up to work 90 minutes before my first class and beginning in high gear and keeping it up until the last class ends and I head home, simply 100% focussed on prep and teaching for the 4 to 6 hours of each of 4 to 5 days a week I'm scheduled to work, has kept me happy and content for a decade and a half.

I think the increase in public elementary school teachers is a good thing that lets the hagwon stars shine more, reinforcing their confidence, and if it puts more pressure onthe provinces to try and match it then so be it - as I've always worked in smaller communities far south of the capital.

15 years as a hagwon teacher. Sounds like a bloody nightmare.