December 11, 2017, 05:08:59 PM

Author Topic: Renewing Passport in Seoul.  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Tayteacher

• Adventurer
Renewing Passport in Seoul.
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:25:19 AM »
Hi all,

I have a question: Does the Canadian Embassy in Seoul renew the Canadian passport? If not, does anyone know how one goes about getting this done?

I've never renew my passport abroad before.

thanks!!

Offline Irishcailin

• Veteran
Re: Renewing Passport in Seoul.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:45:51 AM »
I am assuming they do because the Irish Embassy does it for us.
They get us the documents, I got them emailed to me filled them in then posted it to Embassy and about 3 weeks later I had a new passport! Voila!  :D

Offline anigerla

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »
They renew citizenship cards so I would assume they do for passports as well (I will need to do as well). Here is contact e-mail: seoul-cs@international.gc.ca.

They will send you the link for reqs.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/offices-bureaux/embassy_canada_ambassade.aspx?lang=eng#services

Offline Tayteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »
Irishcailin & anigerla

thanks for the info & links :):)

Offline kertrats

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »
I had the unfortunate experience of losing my passport on the subway in Seoul.  I can tell you from experience that, yes, the Canadian Embassy in Seoul does do passport renewals as well as applications if you do not already have one (ie: it was lost like mine).  Good luck!

Offline amcinnisa

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 12:10:16 PM »
I renewed my passport at the Canadian embassy in September, it was easy, just fill out all the forms.  One thing though that was different is it said you needed 3 references.  However when I got there, they asked for 2 more so just possibly be ready for that.  And for all your previous employers and education have all the addresses, phone numbers and everything (I had to do a quick internet search for my old Uni's phone number haha).  Other than that it was probably easier and quicker to get a new passport here than back home. 

Offline bmsteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
I renewed mine through the embassy, too.  I didn't need references; I just paid a higher fee for not having any.  I did give an account of work history in the application, so as the previous poster said: Be ready for that.  It's not that difficult.  Good luck!:)

Offline adamwatch

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 12:53:52 PM »
Out of interest how much was your new passport? The british embassy charged me double the normal rate as I'm abroad= 110 pounds

Adam

Offline amcinnisa

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
It came to about 110 000 won (or maybe 120 000) for my new passport.  I also had to pay extra for not having a guarantor which was about 50 000 won.  So it was around 170 000 for the whole thing.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
It came to about 110 000 won (or maybe 120 000) for my new passport.  I also had to pay extra for not having a guarantor which was about 50 000 won.  So it was around 170 000 for the whole thing.

what a cash grab! lol!
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline bmsteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »
Yes, I think I paid 170 000 Won, too.  Trust in government to make profit on anything!

Offline anigerla

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 02:25:42 PM »
I believe there is an option to pay online in Canadian dollars so that might be more favorable. Again, from experience about citizenship card: online $75, in embassy -86,000 won. Not sure what the price for passport is though...