December 17, 2017, 08:24:03 AM

Author Topic: Spring Break!  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Tayteacher

• Adventurer
Spring Break!
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »
Hey fellow teachers,

Is there anyone NOT taking a week off next week during Spring Break?
I opted to save my additional vacation days for summer vacation. I will be desk warming all week next week.

Anyone else? maybe we can meet up for a drink after a day of deskwarming... :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:35:43 AM by taylordt »

Offline strawberry

• Expert Waygook
  • Strawberries of Wrath
Re: Spring Break!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:03 AM »
Deskwarming for me too, I'm afraid!  Actually... I dont know many people who ARE taking vacation... my school told me I could only use winter vacation days during winter break, and summer vacation days during summer break... :(

Offline lindsayforrest

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I got lucky and was just told that I don't have to come to school and should stay home and rest.  Sometimes my school can be o awesome about deskwarming etc...part of the reason I opted to re-sign!

Offline Irishcailin

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »
I got lucky and was just told that I don't have to come to school and should stay home and rest.  Sometimes my school can be o awesome about deskwarming etc...part of the reason I opted to re-sign!

Soooo jealous!  :( The best I got from my school was 2 free lunches this week and both were at seafood restaurants, and I don't like seafood...But they won't let me not go? I would happily have ramian for lunch in my office! Instead I sit for approx 2 hours listening to korean and eating rice and kimchi. Barf! End of year school dinner tonight and I am hearing rumors of sushi?!  :o

Other than that I love my school and I also have just re-signed.
Rant over!  :D

Offline AshleyTeacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:37 PM »

Soooo jealous!  :( The best I got from my school was 2 free lunches this week and both were at seafood restaurants, and I don't like seafood...But they won't let me not go? I would happily have ramian for lunch in my office! Instead I sit for approx 2 hours listening to korean and eating rice and kimchi. Barf! End of year school dinner tonight and I am hearing rumors of sushi?!  :o

Other than that I love my school and I also have just re-signed.
Rant over!  :D

Yeah, my school went with sushi. One poor teacher ate too much and has been sick these last 2 days throwing up.

Offline notinKS

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »
Three weeks of deskwarming for me, although I don't mind too much since I've signed up to take the TOPIK in April! Lots and lots of study time for me  ;D

Offline SoKo

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »
My co teacher just told me that next week is Spring Vacation (Obviously, I knew already) and we will have class again on March 2nd. She never actually siad I had to come in. I think Im just gonna stay home and if I get the call I'll just say I thought the whole school was shut down? My school is pretty laid back!!

Offline geraldineg

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »
I know a few people who are teaching Spring Camp as well. I guess its the same old deal, every situation is different.

Offline Tayteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
@Lindsayforrest your so lucky!

Atleast I can add on days for summer vacation :) thanks for responding everyone!!

I guess it all depends on the schools...

Offline jehall

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 01:04:15 PM »
I have a week left of vacation on this contract so I have to use vacation days for all of next week! No complaints though.

Offline Tayteacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 01:35:03 PM »
Jehall, what are your plans? Are you planning a trip?

Offline awaygookindarok

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:01:24 PM »
In the 3 years being at my school, I've NEVER had to deskwarm!!!!

Offline shmoogrin

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
It sounds like I am one of the lucky.  Today is my last day of teaching and I don't have to go to any of my schools until March 2nd.  That does not mean I will not be doing planning, it just means I don't have to get up at 6:30 am and pay for a bus ride to sit in a cold empty school to do it.  My thoughts are will those that do.

Offline jehall

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:21 PM »
Tomorrow will be the first and last day I've ever deskwarmed! I only count it as official deskwarming if there is no students in school. I've had 0 classes these last 2 days but kids have still been in school so of course, all teachers should be in. But tomorrow, no students.

Taylordt, I might go to Hong Kong for a few days. I have some friends from back home in Toronto who are teaching there. 

Offline summerthyme

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • cookie bank
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »
It sounds like I am one of the lucky.  Today is my last day of teaching and I don't have to go to any of my schools until March 2nd.  That does not mean I will not be doing planning, it just means I don't have to get up at 6:30 am and pay for a bus ride to sit in a cold empty school to do it.  My thoughts are will those that do.

I'm right there with you!  I'm aiming on getting at least the first 3 weeks of lessons done, but I'm really looking forward to waking up at a leisurely 9:00am and not hauling my cookies down to the bus stop :)  I don't have to be back until March 2nd, but I have to 'check in' if I decide to leave my town.

Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

Offline Mel123

• Adventurer
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
Aaahhh - I have to teach Spring Camp (???) next week for 3 hours a day . . .  Am I the only one?
I would much rather desk warm  :(

Offline red

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
Aaahhh - I have to teach Spring Camp (???) next week for 3 hours a day . . .  Am I the only one?
I would much rather desk warm  :(

don't worry, we're on the same boat..
to make it worse, I don't know how many students will come. My co teacher just sent a note about the class,and no feedback from students >:(

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 07:18:37 AM »
I have to desk warm. I was told to prepare lessons for next semester and I said 'no problem and what classes will I teach?' Answer....... well, we haven't decided yet so just tell us you are doing something educational, but you don't really have to do it............. ??? :o
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline joybot0

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »
Be careful. They have to report your missing days somehow. Usually they end up just saying you were doing "research for teaching." I've had co's come to and ask for my research proof. Of course I was like wahhhh?

The thing is public schools have to document everything because they get audited. This is why some won't let you get a break because their Principal is a stickler to the rules and doesn't like fudging things.

If you are desk warming use this time to go to the bank, etc...