December 18, 2017, 04:41:44 PM

Author Topic: Does anyone have any contacts with International Schools in Korea?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline L Waygook

• Adventurer
Hello,
I am an EPIK teacher who is interested in switching to an International School when my contract is up. I would love to stay in Daegu, but will go anywhere in Korea for the right job. I was wondering if anyone teaches at an International School or if anyone knows of a good contact to get the ball rolling?
Please email me at  lprice1979@yahoo.com of you have any information.
Thanks

Offline jille86

• Adventurer
Re: Does anyone have any contacts with International Schools in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:13:10 AM »
Just wondering what kind of international school you're looking for? I mean, like IB school, or a Canadian or American (or wherever) curriculum school? I know someone at a Canadian curriculum school if you'd be interested. Inbox me if you are. :)

Offline infogoddess

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »
I also know someone at a specialized (i.e. pre-med) high school that is opening a middle school in the Fall.  They are affiliated with the University of Debrecen and are located in Geochang.  My friend is doing the initial screening.  Let me know if that might interest you
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

Offline elzoog

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »
I would be very interested in branching out from teaching English, to teaching English and mathematics.   I have a bachelors degree in math and still play around with it from time to time (for example, trying to find polynomial approximations to functional square roots).

I also know a little bit of programming (i.e. C, C++, and Java) but would only feel confident in teaching a beginner level class in those subjects.

When I e-mailed someone at an international school regarding being a math teacher, they said they want teaching certification and two years teaching experience.

Offline jille86

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
I would be very interested in branching out from teaching English, to teaching English and mathematics.   I have a bachelors degree in math and still play around with it from time to time (for example, trying to find polynomial approximations to functional square roots).

I also know a little bit of programming (i.e. C, C++, and Java) but would only feel confident in teaching a beginner level class in those subjects.

When I e-mailed someone at an international school regarding being a math teacher, they said they want teaching certification and two years teaching experience.

Yeah, for all international schools (As far as I know, at least the legit ones) you MUST be a licensed teacher in your home country. If you're persistent, the 2 years experience may not be as big a deal. ^^

Offline L Waygook

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:02:07 PM »
Yes I am looking for anything. I would do either Canadian or American...I would prefer Elementary School but maybe could do Middle if I had to. I am really happier with the little ones. If anyone has contacts please email me.

Offline Morticae

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »
Yes, it is true. International schools have very strict hiring policies, so you must have the proper credentials to back it up. That includes a teaching license and applicable post license teaching experience.

Offline GEK

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:59:19 PM »
As of today, there are only two truly accredited international schools in Korea. 

One is in Daegu and one is in Incheon.

The one in Incheon is called "Chadwick".  Google it; they have a pretty homepage.

Currently, there are plans for three more "real" international schools in Korea: one in Jeju, one in Seoul, and one in ?(I forgot).

Rumor has it that in order to teach at the one in Incheon, you have to have some serious connections with the superintendent. 

The cost for one student for one year at that particular school is 30,000,000 won.  It's a little more if they need the bus to pick them up.

Teachers live in new apartments in Song-Do/new "city" (the Discovery channel has an episode on this area).  Gangnam is cheaper. 

As of today, the school services elementary through 7th grade.  They will be hiring some high school teachers in the near future.  The two teachers from Chadwick that I've met are certified elementary teachers from good U.S. universities.

Of course, elementary teachers (back in the states) can't teach high school, so if you are certified to teach high school, this would be a great school to try and get in to.

Good luck.