November 19, 2018, 12:57:08 PM

Author Topic: Working in the East without a degree  (Read 1368 times)

Offline valium kilmer

  • Super Waygook
  • ***
  • Posts: 264
  • Gender: Male
Working in the East without a degree
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »
I'm currently part of the TaLK program, have 2 years of Uni education behind me (a HND) and now nearly 2 years of teaching, and my time here will be coming to an end this year.

My ideal plan is to go home to the UK, study for a year and then return back to Korea as I really enjoy it out here.  Also, with 2 years experience I think that could do me a few favours financially when I come back.

However, I'm also looking at other places I might be able to teach without a degree - perhaps China? I'm also aware that there are people who are in Korea without a degree - perhaps it's not too wise to discuss it openly on a forum but I'd be interested to know of the ways people have done this.  I presume the degree is to show you are capable of a certain level of self-discipline and maturity - though it bugs me that after two years teaching in public schools out here, I will have to return home to study music production for 1 year before they will consider me a qualified teacher.

Anyway - I'm just asking for anyone's thoughts really - what experience others have/any suggestions etc.  Even information about studying here would be great - the things I've looked into have been dead ends so far (it's quite a specific subject) but here's hoping! ;D

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

  • The Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 4838
  • Gender: Male
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Re: Working in the East without a degree
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »
Hi, I think Taiwan is ok for that.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline engbrand

  • Veteran
  • **
  • Posts: 95
  • Gender: Male
Re: Working in the East without a degree
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »
I am also in Talk, but have my degree. With that experience. you can work in China( different areas have different rules, some parts want a degree, while others just require a TESL cerftificate and experience, which is easily obtainable online). Tainwan accepts teachers with 2 years Uni and a TEFL cert. Otherwise you can do to Indonesia, Cambodia. You can work in Japan too if you have 3 years work experience. Check out the discussion forum on's of info there..

From personal experience, just go home and finish your many doors are opened for you..

All the best.

Offline valium kilmer

  • Super Waygook
  • ***
  • Posts: 264
  • Gender: Male
Re: Working in the East without a degree
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »
Thanks for that. 

Yeah - it's obviously going to be better to bite the bullet and head home - but many places are asking me to do 2 years extra study (because I completed the HND at a different college etc.)  The one year finish is still a possibility - and that's what I'm hoping for, I'm just looking at other options.  I'm in no particular hurry to head home, and I'm not really sure if I can afford to study for two years. I've heard of some people extending their Talk contract outside of the usual 2 years too...

Out of interest, why did you choose Talk if you already have a degree?  How are you finding it?

Offline smartypantsmd

  • Adventurer
  • *
  • Posts: 31
  • Gender: Female
Re: Working in the East without a degree
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »
Not that I know anyone who has done this *ahem* and I'm certainly not recommending it, but hypothetically many hogwans will hire without degrees. Depending on what country you are from, you can be here on a tourist visa (Canada gives you 6 months, so you only have to leave the country once in the year) Of course there is plenty of risk, but it is often done successfully (again, to be clear, not the best idea).

Could you finish up your degree online?