December 16, 2017, 03:44:43 AM

Author Topic: Hot Springs  (Read 3271 times)

Offline scottdk

• Veteran
Hot Springs
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »
I'm looking to visit Gangwon-do during this spring break and check out the Osaek Hot Springs.  Anyone have a place they'd recommend staying at near this area?

Offline pyeager

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Veteran
Re: Hot Springs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
There's a nice little hotel/pension just a little up the hill from the place with the sauna called 산애가. It's cheap...I think we paid 50,000 during peak leaf season. We went there for the last two autumns. Not huge or anything, but cheap and clean. Like a tasteful (no crazy lights or mirrors) love motel. The owners are really nice too, but they don't speak English. I think the husband was a furniture designer, so they have nice furniture.

http://www.sanaega.co.kr/

Offline pyeager

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
Oh, and just as an aside, the hot springs are confined to a sauna. It's not like a natural outdoor hot tub, but I've never actually paid to go inside the little building.

Offline scottdk

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:45:10 AM »
thanks i'll look into it

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »
Speaking of which, where in Korea _are_ there actual outdoor springs? I found even when I was in Japan these were insanely hard to find. There was always some weasel words to make you think so but...
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline pickle

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »
Speaking of which, where in Korea _are_ there actual outdoor springs? I found even when I was in Japan these were insanely hard to find. There was always some weasel words to make you think so but...

Hmm, I have been to a few in Japan. But I went with a friend, and we were specifically looking for rotenburo in an onsen guide. It helps if you have a car and can read Japanese reasonably well. I think they're more common in the more rural areas, as well.

Apparently the Suanbo Hot Springs in Chungbuk has at least one outdoor bath, at the Park Hotel. I'm trying to make it there before I leave Korea.

Offline pyeager

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »
Outdoor baths aren't that uncommon and are nice, but I really want to go somewhere and climb down some rocks into the water, like in those pictures of Japanese monkeys swimming in mountain hot springs. Does anybody know anywhere like that?

Termeden in Icheon (Gyeonggido Icheon, NOT Incheon) and Waterpia in Sokcho both have huge outdoor bathing areas that make that hotel's one little pool look pretty sad. You wear bathing suits in both though (co-ed).

termeden.com
Waterpia-http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=570946
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:59:33 PM by pyeager »

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »
Pyeager. Don't know any in Korea (clearly) but I've been to a mere one in Japan truly like that: outdoors and away from development, not just an onsen with the roof hacked off (sans monkeys though). It was in Yagen, probably Japan's last unspoilt valley. Notoriously difficult to reach though but utterly unforgettable. The one by the monkey onsen in Nagano is of course like that, but the main bathing area is for monkeys only and likely would make you sick (the caretaker appears to have a personal second one for mixed human/monkey bathing up the hill). Maybe there are a few more in remote Kyushu but none I've heard of. I know some old guys around Tokkaido spoke fondly of drop-100yen-in-the-box-on-a-post type affairs down there. Whether they still exist given Japan's overdevelopment trends (look at the famed "best 3 hidden valleys list if you want to be all teary eyed hippy for a sec)...

Cheers for the info on Icheon.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:13:11 PM by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline dropdeadbarbi

• Adventurer
  • Carpe Diem
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »
Termeden in Icheon (Gyeonggido Icheon, NOT Incheon) and Waterpia in Sokcho both have huge outdoor bathing areas that make that hotel's one little pool look pretty sad. You wear bathing suits in both though (co-ed).

termeden.com
Waterpia-http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=570946

This place blew my mind away! Loved it.
www.diamondintherok.blogspot.com
[From Ghetto USA to Ghetto ROK]

Offline mycombs

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »
Went to "Spa Green Land" about an hour south of Seoul a few weekends ago. They have natural hot spring water. Set-up like a Jjimjilbang, with mens and women's private bathing areas. It also has an outdoors, bathing-suit and family-friendly section. Don't pay for that. The men's and women's bathing areas have outdoor pools with hot water, surrounded my hills, snow and pine trees. That was rad. Otherwise, the place was a bit old and moldy, and packed like mad with too many people and too many kids.
Spa Green Land:
http://www.spagreenland.co.kr/green/main.html

Here's an article from Korea tourism about other hot-springs and resorts:
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=670032
"Signature"