January 19, 2018, 03:20:24 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 649169 times)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3740 on: January 04, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
I wasn't making reference to anything about America, but simply talking about public schools in Korea.

Whoever told you that you weren't allowed to leave is misinformed.
I've actually spent a lot of time looking into this -- whether or not employers in Korea are allowed to forbid their employees from leaving the premises during break time. Unfortunately, none of the Korean labour law sites mention anything about it (except for the fact that we are owed (at least) 30 minutes of break time where we can't be required to do any kind of work).

While they are allowed to do so in the UK, and in North America, I've heard a lot of NETs say that it's not legal here in Korea.
...But then again, a lot of NETs are full of $#!+.

If you've run across anything solid about what our rights are in this particular issue, I would really appreciate a link!!!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3741 on: January 04, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
I don't think my main school cares what I do during my lunch hour as long as I'm not getting into trouble. It's a middle school though.

I've a friend who works at an English town & elem. public school who got a lot of flak for going out to eat for lunch one time. So that friend has never done so again.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #3742 on: January 04, 2017, 01:35:24 PM »
I don't understand some people. I get a 50 minute break. Leave me the hell alone! If I want to walk in a direction for 25 mins and then turn around and come back, that's my choice.

If I'm late coming back, fine, discipline me, that's fair. But preventative measures are only so useful.

"Don't leave your chair, you could get hurt!"

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3743 on: January 04, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »
But surely the point is that we're adults so there's no way you can tell me that I can't leave school at lunchtime.

I think it's one of those situations when this applies:

What are they going to do, fire you?

EDIT: Yea totally agree with CO2 above ^
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:39:05 PM by The Arm »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3744 on: January 04, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
But surely the point is that we're adults so there's no way you can tell me that I can't leave school at lunchtime.
Well, most work places in commonwealth countries can and a few do -- especially in places where workplace liability is often an issue.

My school actually doesn't really care what I do when I'm on break, so it's not an issue for me personally. But not knowing the answer to a question bugs me.

Also, the issue has come up often enough that I know it'll come up again (and again and again) in the future, and I wanna sound smart and be able to give a definitive answer! :smiley:

Wellllll... they could mess with your holiday schedules, farm you out for additional winter camps, have you do extra lessons, ask you to submit all your lesson plans for the year, make you edit essays, give you horrible evaluations, or any of a million other things that schools tend to do when they dislike their employees.
 I feel that whether or not schools are allowed to demand that I stay during breaks can result in different levels of resentment when I inevitably refuse to do so:undecided:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:07:15 PM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3745 on: January 04, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »

The infantalisation I've experienced here is astounding sometimes. We had Chinese delivery yesterday in the office (12 teachers) and we all wrapped up our plates and shit to return the stuff to the delivery guy.

:-* "CO2, can you take this and put it outside the front door?"

:police: "Yeah, no problem."

:-* "Thanks."

So, I trudge off with a couple of other teachers and we all leave the plates out front for the delivery guy to pick up at his discretion.

:-* sees me returning sans dish bag.

:-* "Wow, good job!" *pats me on the back*

WOW! Did you know I can tie my own shoes too?  :rolleyes:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3746 on: January 04, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »
Everyone gets overly worried if I don't have an umbrella for the sparsest sprinkling of rain.  :undecided: I tell them, I have a hood! It's fine! Look! But they just look at me like I'm crazy and want to catch pneumonia. Apparently it's against the Korean way to get your jacket even the slightest bit damp.

Just 2 days of camp left to go! & the last day is gonna be "cinematic culture" time  :angel:. These kids are fairly well behaved but I still feel stupid tired after each session just the same. I can't imagine how drained I'd feel if I had to do camp with elementary schoolers.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3747 on: January 04, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »
Everyone gets overly worried if I don't have an umbrella for the sparsest sprinkling of rain.  :undecided: I tell them, I have a hood! It's fine! Look! But they just look at me like I'm crazy and want to catch pneumonia. Apparently it's against the Korean way to get your jacket even the slightest bit damp.

+ eleventy brazillion

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3748 on: January 04, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »

The infantalisation I've experienced here is astounding sometimes. We had Chinese delivery yesterday in the office (12 teachers) and we all wrapped up our plates and shit to return the stuff to the delivery guy.

So, I trudge off with a couple of other teachers and we all leave the plates out front for the delivery guy to pick up at his discretion.

I remember a while ago, after a school lunch, asked me if I knew how to take the subway home from a place that was literally two minutes away from the school.

Or teachers asking me where I do my shopping, and me responding that I do most of it online, and them asking, "How? Isn't it too hard?" Oh, yes... online shopping is too hard. I can't do it. Really?

The genuine surprise I sometimes see in people's faces when I tell them I do some incredibly mundane and normal task blows my mind.
My coteachers are always amazed when I go anywhere by myself. I don't know why they're so stunned; the subways are simple and the buses aren't too difficult either. My coteacher wanted to take the airport bus and since we live in the same neighborhood I drew her a map and labeled things. She was so impressed at how well I know the area, but it's a small town, and the airport bus stops within walking distance of our apartments. She was so worried yesterday that she wouldn't be able to find it, but it's impossible to miss. Though I suppose if anyone could get confused on a straight road with only one bus stop it would be her.

My other new coteacher did the "You can use chopsticks!?" thing when she first arrived. I don't even know how to react to that.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3749 on: January 04, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »
I don't think my main school cares what I do during my lunch hour as long as I'm not getting into trouble. It's a middle school though.

I've a friend who works at an English town & elem. public school who got a lot of flak for going out to eat for lunch one time. So that friend has never done so again.

I work at middle school too  :cry:

today I wimped out of leaving for lunch because jerk boss was hanging around but I swear... tomorrow...

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3750 on: January 05, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »
We were just told yesterday that our camp class on Monday is going to be viewed by some city education official :))))

Fun

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3751 on: January 05, 2017, 10:25:57 AM »
Right waygooks! I'm outta here! Last day of camp tomorrow but I'll be busy and leaving right after, then its back to England foreeeeeeeeevveeeerrrr! Take it easy and stay happy. few special mentions:
1) Good luck with the baby Donovan mate! don't let the mother-in-law boss you around.
2) Scarn, keep bringing comic relief to this bunch o' fools.
3) Get better Moonbrie, having health issues away from home sucks.
4) Pecan, learn to not be such a condescending, insufferable, know-it-all toolbag. people will like you more!

Whatgook out!!!!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3752 on: January 05, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »
Right waygooks! I'm outta here! Last day of camp tomorrow but I'll be busy and leaving right after, then its back to England foreeeeeeeeevveeeerrrr! Take it easy and stay happy. few special mentions:
1) Good luck with the baby Donovan mate! don't let the mother-in-law boss you around.
4) Pecan, learn to not be such a condescending, insufferable, know-it-all toolbag. people will like you more!

Whatgook out!!!!

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Best of luck on all your future endeavors! ;D

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3753 on: January 05, 2017, 10:45:57 AM »

Whatgook out!!!!

What? No more Waygook for Whatgook? No more Whatgook for Waygook? No way!  :cry:

Anyway, here's to wishing you greener pastures. Think of us next time you're having a pint of non-rice-brewed beer. Or having tea or whatever.  :smiley:
Cheers!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3754 on: January 05, 2017, 10:51:50 AM »

Whatgook out!!!!

omg I got a mention, I feel special

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3755 on: January 05, 2017, 11:26:36 AM »
Why in the f*%k are kids rocking up at my camp 40 minutes early. I just finished first session and now I must babysit these little shits, in the 40 minutes I am to have had lunch, then go straight into 90 minutes of scheduled babysitting.. uh.. I mean camp. I don't want to spend an extra 40 minutes with them. I do not.

Also - Happy for you Whatgook. Happy and envious. Wishing you all the best.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3756 on: January 05, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »

I remember a while ago, after a school lunch, asked me if I knew how to take the subway home from a place that was literally two minutes away from the school.

Or teachers asking me where I do my shopping, and me responding that I do most of it online, and them asking, "How? Isn't it too hard?" Oh, yes... online shopping is too hard. I can't do it. Really?

The genuine surprise I sometimes see in people's faces when I tell them I do some incredibly mundane and normal task blows my mind.
My coteachers are always amazed when I go anywhere by myself. I don't know why they're so stunned; the subways are simple and the buses aren't too difficult either. My coteacher wanted to take the airport bus and since we live in the same neighborhood I drew her a map and labeled things. She was so impressed at how well I know the area, but it's a small town, and the airport bus stops within walking distance of our apartments. She was so worried yesterday that she wouldn't be able to find it, but it's impossible to miss. Though I suppose if anyone could get confused on a straight road with only one bus stop it would be her.

My other new coteacher did the "You can use chopsticks!?" thing when she first arrived. I don't even know how to react to that.

It starts young, today at camp:
A 6th grade girl was pleading with me to show her how to put 2 pieces of paper together
using a paper clip... She spent more time pleading than actually attempting the task. When
she saw I was going to help her, she attempted it and gave up.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3757 on: January 05, 2017, 02:32:55 PM »
Why in the f*%k are kids rocking up at my camp 40 minutes early. I just finished first session and now I must babysit these little shits, in the 40 minutes I am to have had lunch, then go straight into 90 minutes of scheduled babysitting.. uh.. I mean camp. I don't want to spend an extra 40 minutes with them. I do not.

Also - Happy for you Whatgook. Happy and envious. Wishing you all the best.

I'm in the opposite boat. I have two CTs for camp.

My CT from last week showed up yesterday at 12:03 with a new student to fill in for one kid who wasn't going to come. My camp ends at 12:10.

I also had the game set up for 4 groups of 4 (16 kids). It required exactly 4 people to be played properly (euchre for anyone who cares). She then proceeded to yell at my other CT for not incorporating him into the game.

Like come fuckin' on. Really?

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #3758 on: January 05, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
Korean soy sauce is sooooo salty. I've been making a lot of homemade sauces and dressings with soy sauce being the base, and I'm constantly having to make crazy adjustments because the salt levels are insane!

I miss Kikkoman. It's the little things that really make you homesick...

Unless Korea sells a low sodium soy sauce, and I just don't know about it because I don't know how to say low sodium in Korea....

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3759 on: January 05, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »
Korean soy sauce is sooooo salty. I've been making a lot of homemade sauces and dressings with soy sauce being the base, and I'm constantly having to make crazy adjustments because the salt levels are insane!

I miss Kikkoman. It's the little things that really make you homesick...

Unless Korea sells a low sodium soy sauce, and I just don't know about it because I don't know how to say low sodium in Korea....

No, no. Western food is salty.