June 21, 2018, 03:13:56 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 998972 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1320 on: October 07, 2016, 07:42:04 AM »
^Yes. I find it annoying that even though I specifically type "google.com" it automatically switches to "google.co.kr." And then after I search for something (having typed in English), it asks me if I want the search results in English.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #1321 on: October 07, 2016, 07:44:10 AM »
This is why I use google.co.uk. I don't get redirected or any of that bullshit.

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1322 on: October 07, 2016, 08:02:03 AM »
So today is mmrrrhhhhhhh.

Such a pretty day, a shame it's gotta be wasted in an office where I'm being harassed by a malicious-as-**** fly.

Ahh, a day in the life for me as well. Sometimes if they are feeling benevolent, they land on the top of my monitor in pairs or threes and just watch me for ten minutes at a time.  I've tried killing them but what's the point when there are no screens on the open windows in the teachers' room.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1323 on: October 07, 2016, 08:05:08 AM »
Add /ncr (no country redirect) to Google.com to not get redirected to the Korean site. I thought everyone in Korea knew this by now?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1324 on: October 07, 2016, 08:17:32 AM »
Add /ncr (no country redirect) to Google.com to not get redirected to the Korean site. I thought everyone in Korea knew this by now?

Nope. Never heard of this. Sometimes I do the .co.uk

But now I know :D

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1325 on: October 07, 2016, 08:19:49 AM »

Yep, I had never heard of it either.

Offline HabsFanInKorea

• Veteran
« Reply #1326 on: October 07, 2016, 08:19:59 AM »

using google.ca works too

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1327 on: October 07, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
"Almost Korean hate Japan."

"Almost Koreans love spicy food."

"Almost Korean women just want to be married and don't want a job."

Usually I don't care about people making English mistakes unless I'm in class. The GRAND OPEN signs everywhere don't bother me and as long as I can understand the meaning of something, I am thankful for the shitty English everywhere.

However, this mistake makes me cringe every time I hear it, which is OFTEN. The thing is, I don't even correct them because the sentences they start with "almost" are usually annoying and obnoxious sweeping generalizations that I don't want them to make any grammatical sense. I'm just not sure why it seems like this entire country doesn't know the meaning of "almost" - even the people who otherwise have a firm grasp on the language.

Ha I love a good THE GRAND OPEN sign. So close to being right.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1328 on: October 07, 2016, 08:54:53 AM »
"Almost Korean hate Japan."

"Almost Koreans love spicy food."

"Almost Korean women just want to be married and don't want a job."

Usually I don't care about people making English mistakes unless I'm in class. The GRAND OPEN signs everywhere don't bother me and as long as I can understand the meaning of something, I am thankful for the shitty English everywhere.

However, this mistake makes me cringe every time I hear it, which is OFTEN. The thing is, I don't even correct them because the sentences they start with "almost" are usually annoying and obnoxious sweeping generalizations that I don't want them to make any grammatical sense. I'm just not sure why it seems like this entire country doesn't know the meaning of "almost" - even the people who otherwise have a firm grasp on the language.

Haha yea this one cuts through me too  :laugh:

The first time I encountered it I thought I'd just not heard the word "all" after "almost".  Nope!

I'm fascinated how certain mistakes permeate through almost Koreans learning English  :wink:

Offline Firstnightdrive

• Newgookin
« Reply #1329 on: October 07, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »
Good lord...

Most days this kinda stuff is a source of moderate frustration that I'm able to simply brush off. Today for some reason it's driving me absolutely bonkers.

I cannot get over the way students are allowed to behave in the halls between classes. It honestly sounds like Jurassic Park out there right now, the way everyone's screeching and carrying on. There is one girl standing literally outside the door to the English office screaming her friend's name over and over and over and over again... then she just ran off. None of my co-ts even seem to notice! On the best of days, I try to avoid the hallways between classes if I can. I'm liable to either get run down in a stampede, beaned by a soccer ball/flung slipper, or soaked by one of the numerous water fights that seem to break out between almost every period.

I know it's been a good long while since I was a student, but I seriously don't ever recall this kind of behaviour being tolerated in a Canadian school.   

Thinking on it now, I suppose this makes a pretty good case for the importance of recess (seriously, why don't these kids get recess??).

/rant

Offline itsalliecat

• Waygookin
« Reply #1330 on: October 07, 2016, 11:57:35 AM »
Good lord...

Most days this kinda stuff is a source of moderate frustration that I'm able to simply brush off. Today for some reason it's driving me absolutely bonkers.

I cannot get over the way students are allowed to behave in the halls between classes. It honestly sounds like Jurassic Park out there right now, the way everyone's screeching and carrying on. There is one girl standing literally outside the door to the English office screaming her friend's name over and over and over and over again... then she just ran off. None of my co-ts even seem to notice! On the best of days, I try to avoid the hallways between classes if I can. I'm liable to either get run down in a stampede, beaned by a soccer ball/flung slipper, or soaked by one of the numerous water fights that seem to break out between almost every period.

I know it's been a good long while since I was a student, but I seriously don't ever recall this kind of behaviour being tolerated in a Canadian school.   

Thinking on it now, I suppose this makes a pretty good case for the importance of recess (seriously, why don't these kids get recess??).

/rant

This.

Kids will come into the English room running at full speed, screaming at the top of their lungs while stampeding over each other. Maybe some will deicde to play a game of catch by throwing a pencil case across the room. Another will decide he wants to punch his friend in the face. What is my CT doing? Texting on her phone or laughing at them.

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1331 on: October 07, 2016, 12:09:15 PM »
Good lord...

/rant

This drives me insane also! It's not so bad in my classes but outside the office inbetween lessons and the end of school is just ridiculous. It's like im the only one that can hear it going on, I just don't understand! When I was at school  we had to go straight from one lesson to the next, then we would get a 20 minute the lesson before lunch. That's so much better than the ten minutes they get between lessons here where they seem to think they can do absolutely anything they want.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1332 on: October 07, 2016, 12:27:39 PM »
It is a trade-off.

Kids are left completely unsupervised during breaks, including lunch, and recess.

It's complete madness, dangerous, you name it.

However, once class begins, they are expected to toe the line.

Teachers need their break time, lunch time, etc., and the school doesn't employ "recess" staff (heck, they don't even pay to have schools cleaned properly), so what do you suggest?

If the parents are OK with it, why does it bother you?

I mean, when kids get hurt, they aren't going to hold you responsible, so not sure why you would care.

In this environment/culture kids need to be able to learn to socialize and fend for themselves, rather than expecting "authority" to protect them.

Look at Korea's police force.  That should answer your question.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:55:15 PM by Pecan »

Offline Firstnightdrive

• Newgookin
« Reply #1333 on: October 07, 2016, 12:38:58 PM »
When I was at school  we had to go straight from one lesson to the next, then we would get a 20 minute the lesson before lunch. That's so much better than the ten minutes they get between lessons here where they seem to think they can do absolutely anything they want.

At my school they absolutely do anything they want. On my way to lunch today, three boys literally wrestled backwards down a flight of crowded stairs. I was flanked by three different Korean teachers, no one said a word...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:42:18 PM by Firstnightdrive »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1334 on: October 07, 2016, 12:50:29 PM »
FND,

Not sure what you expect others to do...

There are a couple of kids at my current school who actually crap in the urinal.

What do you suggest?

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1335 on: October 07, 2016, 12:54:24 PM »

However, once class begins, they are expected to tow the line.

How do you tow a line?
Thank you.

How about, toe the line? ;)

(I'm using my phone, and the "w" is next to the "e")
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:01:39 PM by Pecan »

Offline Firstnightdrive

• Newgookin
« Reply #1336 on: October 07, 2016, 01:00:06 PM »
FND,

There are a couple of kids at my current school who actually crap in the urinal.

What do you suggest?

Just ranting/venting in the Ranting/Venting Megathread. Don't really have a suggestion. Don't really feel like it's my place to make one (I haven't even been here a year, so...).

I'm just expressing my continual surprise at the amount of insanity that's tolerated is all (crapping in urinals, for instance).

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1337 on: October 07, 2016, 01:02:48 PM »
FND,

What do you suggest?

I know I wasn't the one addressed, but I say: instill a better sense of discipline in them from the beginning! In the US I feel like there are actually consequences when you do stuff like that. Even if you can't stop it in the moment, the kids get written up or whatever. After enough time, they just don't even try that shit because they know that they'll have consequences later.

I think it's kind of a vicious cycle. The teachers don't want to be in the halls/classrooms during break time because they know the kids will be crazy, but because there are no teachers around, the kids know they can be even crazier with no consequence because there's no one there to see and enforce any rules or write them up. I understand now why my cots always wait until the last minute to go up to the classroom - because they want to avoid hall craziness.

For those of us who don't move from classroom to classroom, I think it's hard to understand the 10 minute break between classes, but now that I have to move, I really think it's for the teachers' benefit rather than the students. Having enough time to take a sip of water, get the materials ready for the next class, sit down for a couple minutes, it can be pretty important when you're running from classroom to classroom.

There's definitely room to improve though.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1338 on: October 07, 2016, 01:12:15 PM »
FND,

What do you suggest?

I know I wasn't the one addressed, but I say: instill a better sense of discipline in them from the beginning! In the US I feel like there are actually consequences when you do stuff like that. Even if you can't stop it in the moment, the kids get written up or whatever. After enough time, they just don't even try that shit because they know that they'll have consequences later.

I think it's kind of a vicious cycle. The teachers don't want to be in the halls/classrooms during break time because they know the kids will be crazy, but because there are no teachers around, the kids know they can be even crazier with no consequence because there's no one there to see and enforce any rules or write them up. I understand now why my cots always wait until the last minute to go up to the classroom - because they want to avoid hall craziness.

For those of us who don't move from classroom to classroom, I think it's hard to understand the 10 minute break between classes, but now that I have to move, I really think it's for the teachers' benefit rather than the students. Having enough time to take a sip of water, get the materials ready for the next class, sit down for a couple minutes, it can be pretty important when you're running from classroom to classroom.

There's definitely room to improve though.

OMG this is just reminding me that I desperately wish the English classes were just in the homerooms and that we didn't have separate English classrooms. The teachers at my school are all really nice and the VP is super chill so I wouldn't mind having a cubicle in the teacher's office. God, that would be so nice... No students messing everything on my desk; no cleaning after the students; no yelling at students during break time to stop running around the classrooms... and best of all, easy access to a fridge and kettle. :laugh: The special classrooms (so including the English one) are also used for afterschool classes, which means that I'm not in the room during those times. I have no control over the students (first and second graders) and even if I talk to the teacher responsible, they aren't regular teachers at my school; they get brought in on a half-year contract so they don't really care if the kids get messy. :rolleyes:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1339 on: October 07, 2016, 01:13:33 PM »
sevenpm,

No need for name-calling.

They are not your children.  They have Korean parents of their own, OK?

Ages ago, I visited my Korean colleague's apartment to have dinner with his family.  At the table, his young son was sitting on the back of his chair with his feet on the seat (he was Korean age 5, so like 4).

Any "responsible" parent from the US would have asked the child to sit down properly in his chair, so as not to injury himself.

I could see what was to happen, but as a guest, I said nothing.

He ended up falling back in his chair and cracking his head open.

It wasn't a pleasant situation.

My colleague explained to me that as his son is his little prince, he needs to come to learn these things on his own.

I don't completely agree or disagree, as "parenting" surely has its place, but I know my role and keep to my lane.