December 18, 2017, 05:06:01 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 208436 times)

Offline antmar

• Veteran
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #760 on: July 15, 2016, 08:59:29 AM »
Had a chat with my coT about summer camp supplies; everything on the list is approved by the principal! ^^

Then she told me she had a discussion with the principal about how winter camp will be "impossible" without a budget and that she would refuse to do winter camp without one.  :shocked: Dayummm.

She's worried camp will be boring if we can't buy materials. I don't agree that no budget renders camp impossible, but money definitely spruces things up (and all the better if not out of my pocket, hah). And some of the supplies we're getting for the upcoming camp are things we can use throughout the school year during regular classes too (cause English class has no budget though camp was thrown a bone). Getting a few sets of JENGA!  ;D Which will also be beneficial for my travel schools!

Where did you buy the Jenga!? I would love to have this for my summer camp! :D :huh:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #761 on: July 15, 2016, 09:35:07 AM »
Had a chat with my coT about summer camp supplies; everything on the list is approved by the principal! ^^

Then she told me she had a discussion with the principal about how winter camp will be "impossible" without a budget and that she would refuse to do winter camp without one.  :shocked: Dayummm.

She's worried camp will be boring if we can't buy materials. I don't agree that no budget renders camp impossible, but money definitely spruces things up (and all the better if not out of my pocket, hah). And some of the supplies we're getting for the upcoming camp are things we can use throughout the school year during regular classes too (cause English class has no budget though camp was thrown a bone). Getting a few sets of JENGA!  ;D Which will also be beneficial for my travel schools!

Where did you buy the Jenga!? I would love to have this for my summer camp! :D :huh:

My school requested that my coT and I use that Korean auction website but Jenga can also be found on Gmarket. The off-brand one is significantly cheaper, btw!

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #762 on: July 15, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »

My school requested that my coT and I use that Korean auction website but Jenga can also be found on Gmarket. The off-brand one is significantly cheaper, btw!

I've seen Jenga in the games section of dept. stores like Hyundai, too.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #763 on: July 15, 2016, 09:58:26 AM »

Any idea how much it may have been?? I've seen namebrand Jenga in Artbox but for the price of one "legit" Jenga I could get several offbrand

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #764 on: July 15, 2016, 10:33:07 AM »

Any idea how much it may have been?? I've seen namebrand Jenga in Artbox but for the price of one "legit" Jenga I could get several offbrand

Sorry, I didn't buy it so I don't remember. Probably in the same ballpark as Artbox, though.

I'd probably go with the off-brand one if the price disparity is that big. How much better could "real" Jenga really be?!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #765 on: July 15, 2016, 10:40:38 AM »

Sorry, I didn't buy it so I don't remember. Probably in the same ballpark as Artbox, though.

I'd probably go with the off-brand one if the price disparity is that big. How much better could "real" Jenga really be?!

Smoother blocks? Lol

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #766 on: July 15, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »

Smoother blocks? Lol

The real Jenga blocks are smoother, but the quality difference doesn't justify the price difference. There's just too much of a gap, and I haven't been successful in finding more reasonably priced ones (they're available at Emart and Homeplus as well).

I use the off-brand blocks, and they work fine. Also, I don't feel bad about marking the crap out of them.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #767 on: July 15, 2016, 12:04:03 PM »
So we're kicking it in the office when two of my coworkers decide to have a "cute photo showdown" by showing me the pics they've collected of cute animals  :laugh: :laugh:

Then the art teacher was showing me a new project he wanted to do, but he didn't know the ingredients or name for it. After a quick google search, I figured out it was moss graffiti and easily found a recipe  8) Google ftw!

It looks super cool. Totally wanna try this out!

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #768 on: July 15, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
On wednesday - 2 of my 4 classes actually got punished for being disrespectful to me, by the co, because they were being very loud and wouldn't quiten down and listen. This almost never happens because, I am not allowed to discipline the students at all myself; I get in trouble when I try, and often my co's don't do anything about that.

It is the last week before the vacation, so I was just going to play a game with them anyway. Instead, they were sent outside to run laps of the school track and it was really humid. They were mostly pretty good for the last bit of the lesson. We ended up watching an episode of adventure time without subs and in ENG, because we only had ~15 minutes after they finished their punishment.

Also, I started at an elementary just over 2 weeks ago. I said in the interview, I don't want to teach elementary school students (I like kids, but hate teaching them - I'd rather be in a high school). However, my co there is really great, has a high level of English, she is a really nice person, and actually helps me when I am stuck with ideas for lesson planning. My other co's just give me the "too busy" and go back to online shopping. The students are a lot more motivated (I only teach grade 6 at the elementary) and has actually become my favourite school.

Offline sunflowerxoxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #769 on: July 15, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »
English Festival/Market Day was today! Didn't have to teach any classes  8). Just facilitated some English games. The teachers went crazy and bought a lot of awesome things for the market. We set my classroom up and put a big sign out front. The market part was after lunch and the kids were lined up at my door and when I turned the corner to my classroom they were shouting "Teacher! Teacher! Teacher!"  :evil: "Teacher, hurry up!! We want buy prize!  :evil: :evil:...sorry :-[ please hurry ;D" The sixth graders were the "cashiers" and all in all it was a fun, chill day.

I wish all Fridays were like this.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #770 on: July 18, 2016, 10:39:10 AM »
I needed to move one student into another group to even out teams for a game. He's not a bad kid, a tad loud but generally pretty good. Told him to stand up and move back and sit down. He assumed he was in trouble and went and stood in the back, my CT and I both lost it and told him it was all good just sit down.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #771 on: July 18, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »
Well just taught one 3rd grade class today and a 6th grade class and it all went down very well. Then had another class rescheduled and then my final class canceled. So tomorrow it's just two classes and the rest of the week absolutely nothing to do, simply just wait until the start of summer camp which starts next Monday. Smooth sailing from here. :)

Offline kimchi_mandu

• Veteran
« Reply #772 on: July 18, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
A kid who is a total pain in the arse just dropped out of English camp! I couldn't be happier about it!  8)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #773 on: July 18, 2016, 11:08:43 AM »
I love having a toaster oven. Last night I baked some eggs in tomato cups and had it with brie cheese melted on toasted baguette slices. Marvelous!

One more day of classes after today and then a field trip on Wednesday with the whole school and the rest of the week I can spend prepping for summer camp! Which oughta be fun cause I'm just doing games and dances under the broad theme of "American culture"  ;D

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #774 on: July 18, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
No classes today and the students have all gone home. A bit of a bummer that I must stay and deskwarm while the other teachers go to a training thing, but I expect the VP will let me go early *fingers crossed*

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #775 on: July 18, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »
Free period so CT and I were talking nonsense.
She decided to joke about her trip to New Zealand and how hearing their pronunciation of 'today/to die' was hilarious. She also decided to mock the Filipino English accent. It was the perfect opportunity to show her this video. After watching it, she didn't understand the mispronunciation until I told her and watched her face turn into a cherry.

Offline beeonka

• Adventurer
« Reply #776 on: July 18, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »
Lots of deskwarming time has begun. Did a vocab test with Korean to english in the one class i had so I can study korean while teaching. Win win!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #777 on: July 18, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
I love having a toaster oven. Last night I baked some eggs in tomato cups and had it with brie cheese melted on toasted baguette slices. Marvelous!

One more day of classes after today and then a field trip on Wednesday with the whole school and the rest of the week I can spend prepping for summer camp! Which oughta be fun cause I'm just doing games and dances under the broad theme of "American culture"  ;D

what games and dances are you doing? I'm supposed to teach nine "American culture" classes for my camp and I don't want them to be boring but it's kind of hard... didn't find a lot of great stuff by searching this site either.

Offline sunflowerxoxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #778 on: July 18, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »

Oh my gosh! That sounds so good. I'm sitting at my desk salivating (I'm very hungry and looking at the clock to see when I can go home and eat).  :cry:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #779 on: July 18, 2016, 01:25:07 PM »
No classes today and I just found a great secluded spot to nap in my classroom.  8)