December 16, 2017, 03:53:04 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 207551 times)

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #400 on: May 24, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »
Was at my first "company" dinner with all of my coworkers and they complimented me on my chopstick skills. They said it was unusual to see a foreigner who is good at chopsticks. Now, I don't claim to be proud or even quick but I can survive and not have to ask for a fork when I go out to eat. But I'm still happy I managed to impress my coworkers.

Haha congratulations you can check off one phrase from the 'Korean co-worker's most commonly used phrases'

Also in the series: 'Wow, you like kimchi?' 'It's not too hot for you?' 'WOW you can speak Korean'

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #401 on: May 24, 2016, 02:47:22 PM »
Doing a speaking test next week so this week it's practice time. Kids are actually being creative and have been ENJOYING writing up practice answers to the questions I made (based on the book). And these were the low level classes....

Can't wait to see what the high levels come up with  ;D

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #402 on: May 24, 2016, 02:48:57 PM »
Was at my first "company" dinner with all of my coworkers and they complimented me on my chopstick skills. They said it was unusual to see a foreigner who is good at chopsticks. Now, I don't claim to be proud or even quick but I can survive and not have to ask for a fork when I go out to eat. But I'm still happy I managed to impress my coworkers.

Haha congratulations you can check off one phrase from the 'Korean co-worker's most commonly used phrases'

Also in the series: 'Wow, you like kimchi?' 'It's not too hot for you?' 'WOW you can speak Korean'

I know right! They were surprised too that I knew how to make a lettuce wrap and support my hands when someone was pouring me a drink. It's like they don't think we research their culture before deciding to move our lives here.

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
It's raining on my side of the country. I taught my Grade 3s (elementary) - my favorites - "Rain, Rain, Go Away" a few weeks ago. One of my students really wanted to sing it today. I ended the lesson a little late, but the kids still seemed really happy to sing it before they left. It felt good to get a request to sing something I taught them! ;D
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #404 on: May 24, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »

I know right! They were surprised too that I knew how to make a lettuce wrap and support my hands when someone was pouring me a drink. It's like they don't think we research their culture before deciding to move our lives here.

Well... some folks don't... Lol.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #405 on: May 25, 2016, 07:56:05 AM »
All my 6th graders are gone on a trip today!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #406 on: May 25, 2016, 08:52:31 AM »
2 classes cancelled today, and 1 cancelled tomorrow.

Also volleyball today, which I enjoy.

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #407 on: May 25, 2016, 09:23:36 AM »
I am so happy this thread exists.  I have been having the worst time these last two days but coming on here and reading the happy makes me feel so much better, so thank you!!!!

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #408 on: May 25, 2016, 11:54:47 AM »
Oh man, one of my main CTs has been mis-speaking all day today and I've been equally bad at mis-hearing in ways that have made things absolutely hilarious :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Literally tears in my eyes!!!

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #409 on: May 25, 2016, 12:08:44 PM »
I booked my flight outta here last week and handed my notice in on Monday! 3 months to go  8)

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #410 on: May 26, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »
My students are such schmoozers, omg :laugh:

My A-level kids in this one particular class love using English to playfully harass and insult one another while showing off their confidence.  Today a boy and girl got into a hilarious argument (in English) over complimenting me: The girl said I looked extra pretty today, and the boy said, no, that I looked pretty every day.  Was having kind of a crappy day, but they were so cute (and enthusiastically using English!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #411 on: May 26, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
Tomorrow is sports day and I'm at two schools. Ill miss the sports part but will be there just in time for the talent show portion in the afternoon. Its literally what I've been waiting for all semester.  ;D

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2016, 03:06:30 PM »
I love how into snacks my office is. Today someone came back from a business trip and brought Dunkin' doughnuts for everyone  ;D

The other day I brought in some macarons from this awesome bakery on the mainland. This place makes only macarons in all variety of flavors and they're the best macarons I've ever had. All the fillings involve cream cheese! (I believe they sell coffee/beverage whatever as well but I've eyes only for the macarons)

So I bring them in and not everyone is in the office. The ones who are, come over to try them. Their eyes literally widened after taking a bite and they quickly devour their cookies.

They then turn to me, practically in unison, and tell me they want seconds and beg me to keep it a secret (from the poor souls who were unluckily not in at the time). I'm almost dying from laughter as they demolish the rest of the cookies and bury the evidence in the trash bin.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #413 on: May 26, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »
My third graders behaved today and were enthusiastic about the lesson, and some 5th grade girls told me I was pretty.  :cheesy: Last week one 4th grader kept putting a rubber band around his head, so I showed them the slow motion video of a watermelon exploding after the guys put a ton of rubber bands around it. They freaked out and the boy with the rubber band around his head thought it was hilarious. Today I walked into class and they immediately started begging to see the video again. They promised they would behave for class if they got to see it, so I played it for them and then they kept their promise.  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #414 on: May 26, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
A coworker told me not to eat a lot at dinner because we're having a barbecue party at 8pm.

There is a makeshift grill sitting out back behind the school now  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #415 on: May 26, 2016, 03:25:18 PM »
Found rooibos tea. *BLISS*

Same here! E-mart had little gift set jars of it heavily discounted in the impulse purchase rack by the checkout. Joy!
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #416 on: May 26, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
Had my 1st and 2nd grade class today. It was my second time today and the first time they were absolutely terrible. I had one of the teachers who speaks fairly good english (better than my co teacher) walk in on my class along with the teacher that runs the after school programs. In total I had 3 teachers watching me as I taught this after school class.

I was a nervous wreck but luckily I was shown grace by these toddlers as they were well behaved and my lesson looked amazing and I was complimented at the end. I even looked like a scrub because I just threw some wrinkly clothes this morning. In the end it all worked out and I also found out I have no class tomorrow!  :afro: :afro: :afro:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #417 on: May 26, 2016, 03:33:31 PM »
The second half of today has been so laid back! First period after lunch was a filler fun music period (because otherwise they would have been ahead of schedule from all the other MS classes), second period we watched Netflix, and third period, every student actually participated and had fun with the speaking activities, which took up the whole time!

Tomorrow is a school trip to Everland and not only are they giving me lunch and snacks and drinks, they paid me 15000 becuase I'll be "watching the students." After they told me that, the coworker just said "Oh but don't worry about it, you don't have to, just have fun."

Out of the four schools I have worked at, this is the first one that has ever invited me to a trip.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #418 on: May 26, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »
One of my students drew me in class :shocked:

(Lol at her giving me super Korean aegyo sal :laugh: )
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:30:04 PM by nomadicmadda »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #419 on: May 26, 2016, 04:58:44 PM »
(Lol at her giving me super Korean aegyo sal :laugh: )

I was more drawn to your super korean slippers~