November 19, 2018, 11:32:57 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 378832 times)

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2260 on: October 19, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
That does sound like a treat. How difficult is it to get off the island, I mean, how long is it to the nearest larger city or town?

Yesterday was great.  After the kids took their exams, most of the teachers and I took off after lunch to a nearby city to see an art exhibition.  The principal was even in tow (was a fine art major!).  Bunch of ink works, mainly, pretty neat. 

Then we hit up a coffee shop for drinks and snacks (which was a really nice treat as there are zero cafes on my island).  Caught the last ferry back and had dinner at a local restaurant.  Love me some 깐풍기~

What a lovely day!

Roughly 1.5 ~ 2 hours on average!  From school to port, sail the merry seas, then mainland port to actual city!

I find my most isolated schools are by far the most laid back. Does this hold true for your island?
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #2261 on: October 19, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »
Ah ok. Gotcha.
btw. I bought the tickets. Thanks for the encouragement.  ;D ;D
Why an institute and not one of the university programs?

Yikes! I definitely couldn't do that.

Yeah, it's certainly not for everyone, haha!  Switching gears now though.  Gonna have a nice long break back home once I finish up my contract then hopefully head back over to study Korean at one of the language institutes.  Try out that city life for fun; I imagine it'll be quite the fun culture shock after having lived so isolated for so long!  :laugh:  But I'm ready for a new experience~

That's what I mean.  I've seen them called "Korean language institutes" that are a part of the university, to my understanding.  Pretty certain we speak of the same thing  :smiley:; I don't intend to go to a hagwon or anything like that.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2262 on: October 19, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »
Ah ok. Gotcha.

Yeah, it's certainly not for everyone, haha!  Switching gears now though.  Gonna have a nice long break back home once I finish up my contract then hopefully head back over to study Korean at one of the language institutes.  Try out that city life for fun; I imagine it'll be quite the fun culture shock after having lived so isolated for so long!  :laugh:  But I'm ready for a new experience~

That's what I mean.  I've seen them called "Korean language institutes" that are a part of the university, to my understanding.  Pretty certain we speak of the same thing  :smiley:; I don't intend to go to a hagwon or anything like that.

Ugh, so jealous!!  Do let us know how it goes!!

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #2263 on: October 19, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
Totally will
Ah ok. Gotcha.

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2264 on: October 20, 2017, 07:33:47 AM »
Totally will
Ah ok. Gotcha.

Not to derail a happy thread, but could you please stop top-posting!?

It is impossible to follow a conversation with you in it.

Offline viennica

• Adventurer
  • Send me mac and cheese and I'll be yours.
« Reply #2265 on: October 20, 2017, 07:40:30 AM »

Yeah, they're literally the only person to do that. haha
Anyang Meet and Eat, our group of ridiculously fun people with a food problem. https://www.facebook.com/groups/334717196908236/

Offline unknown21

• Waygookin
« Reply #2266 on: October 20, 2017, 07:46:49 AM »
mods abide by mod rules, peasants. 

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2267 on: October 20, 2017, 08:58:44 AM »

I've also noticed that.  :-[

Offline wanderlust8

• Veteran
« Reply #2268 on: October 20, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
The only students that showed up to after school class today were my worst behaved boys. They surprised me by being on their best behaviour and even sang some songs. Granted, one of the songs was in Korean and I have no idea what it was about (not a youtube video. they just started singing out of nowhere). But then I turned on some Baby Shark and Gummy Bear and they were super into it. And one of my boys faces actually lit up when I gave them a spot the difference worksheet. Fridays are usually the classes I dread the most but today was a very happy day.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #2269 on: October 20, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »
Let's all post like this!
When everybody is special, nobody is!

I've also noticed that.  :-[

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2270 on: October 23, 2017, 12:31:33 PM »
During my late teens, up to my mid 20s, I'd practice guitar 2-4 and sometimes 6hrs a day (and loved it!). To help pay for tuition and petrol, I did some part-time work as a guitar teacher at a local school and did private lessons. Within a few months, I became burned out and my zeal for guitar vanished.

It's been 4yrs of almost no playing and last week, my motivation came back with a vengeance. I've been practicing for 30min a day and slowly starting to conjure up the slumbering spirits of shred.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2271 on: October 23, 2017, 02:44:36 PM »
During my late teens, up to my mid 20s, I'd practice guitar 2-4 and sometimes 6hrs a day (and loved it!). To help pay for tuition and petrol, I did some part-time work as a guitar teacher at a local school and did private lessons. Within a few months, I became burned out and my zeal for guitar vanished.

It's been 4yrs of almost no playing and last week, my motivation came back with a vengeance. I've been practicing for 30min a day and slowly starting to conjure up the slumbering spirits of shred.

Cool. I never learned to play an instrument and have zero musical ability, and I've always regretted it.

Have you tried before?  Like with a proper teacher?  I don't think it's too late to pick up something simple, though it would require some time commitment.  You generally seem pretty busy though.  Still, some fifteen minutes a day and I bet you could learn some guitar chords or something at least. 

Back when I was a teen, I used to play violin for hours a day.  Then in late high school I quit orchestra and didn't really touch it for a few years.  In college up till now I've picked it up sporadically.  I tend to binge play more; some odd day I might play for several hours then not touch it again for days/weeks at a time.  My skill has noticeably deteriorated but after warming up for a few I'm decent again. 

I do miss jamming with others.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2272 on: October 23, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »

Cool. I never learned to play an instrument and have zero musical ability, and I've always regretted it.

Have you tried before?  Like with a proper teacher?  I don't think it's too late to pick up something simple, though it would require some time commitment.  You generally seem pretty busy though.  Still, some fifteen minutes a day and I bet you could learn some guitar chords or something at least. 

Back when I was a teen, I used to play violin for hours a day.  Then in late high school I quit orchestra and didn't really touch it for a few years.  In college up till now I've picked it up sporadically.  I tend to binge play more; some odd day I might play for several hours then not touch it again for days/weeks at a time.  My skill has noticeably deteriorated but after warming up for a few I'm decent again. 

I do miss jamming with others.

That's nice of you to say, but I'm content to consume music rather than make it, now. I learned how to pick the intro to 'Redemption Song,' which was kind of cool. But that was about as far as I made it.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2273 on: October 25, 2017, 12:01:09 AM »
I've been asking a big bank in Korea some banking-related questions over the last few days. The responses seem like the person responding is fluent, or at most, ever so slightly below native-level.

Today I got what seemed to be a sext. lol.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2274 on: October 25, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »
My final classes are going very swimmingly.  Just doing games and Halloween themed crafts, a really nice, easy way to finish off my term. 

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #2275 on: October 25, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »
I've been asking a big bank in Korea some banking-related questions over the last few days. The responses seem like the person responding is fluent, or at most, ever so slightly below native-level.

Now, I'm curious...

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2276 on: October 25, 2017, 10:25:05 AM »

Now, I'm curious...

What the hell is wrong with your comment formatting?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2277 on: October 31, 2017, 08:04:15 AM »
Got to bid farewell to all my kids at that one travel school this morning.  They were so surprised to get to see me one more time  :laugh:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2278 on: October 31, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
I've had trick-or-treaters at my desk today.  I teach at a middle school.  The students huddle together for a few seconds, giggling and practicing to say "trick or treat".  Then they come over.  I bought the candy last night.  The other teachers have sent them my way.

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2279 on: October 31, 2017, 12:55:34 PM »
I've had trick-or-treaters at my desk today.  I teach at a middle school.  The students huddle together for a few seconds, giggling and practicing to say "trick or treat".  Then they come over.  I bought the candy last night.  The other teachers have sent them my way.

I got a few students doing that earlier too. :P
I said "Trick." And they got confused, because they thought I'd just give them candy lol.
I made them show me a trick to earn their candy. They thought of some neat little tricks, nothing too spectacular, but I gave them a candy anyway. :p